Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Default Re: Possible Mars Landing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJello View Post
Apparently the moon moves away 1cm each year.

Let me find a link to it..:

No sites that don't either make your eyes burn or make you say tl;dr, but the moon is currently moving away from the Earth 3.8 cm a year.
Oh, just give us the link anyways. I think I at the very least can stomach it, and regardless a link is still very much useful. :9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
There is also no reason to build a shipyard or mining operation on the moon. Any minerals we harvest from the moon would be ridiculously expensive due to transportation costs. Space shipyards are eons away; assembling in orbit like the ISS is far more practical.

While I won't argue against distance, a trip to Mars does not necessarily mean absorbing radiation. I mean sure, harmless radiation is a definite. But dangerous amounts of radiation, although a possibility that must be planned for, is not certain.

So please start getting an idea before you start making outlandish claims...
That's true. But then, we can also use the resources to build stuff on the moon.

A Mars landing would be most probable, given that, well, we've got to start checking out the planets to see if we can live there. And if not, how we can make it so. After all, with this booming world population...
Old 02-24-2010, 02:48 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Offworld travel will never be a solution to population growth. The people who are actually affected by population growth are the poor, and the rich will be the only people who can move off the Earth. Moreover, with 200,000 people being born every day (link here), there's just no hope to be able to move more people off the planet than are being born anytime within the near future.

Moreover, since neither Mars nor the Moon have any real practical use, there's really no commercial benefit to building colonies on them asides from the coolness factor and the hope that some day, hundreds of generations from now, they'll become mini-Earths (however, I don't think any politician or businessman on the planet really has that long-term a vision). I personally believe asteroid mining operations are far more likely to become large-scale operations in the next few centuries, because there's simply more of an immediate profit to be made.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 AM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to -Holland- Send a message via MSN to -Holland- Send a message via Yahoo to -Holland-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Offworld travel will never be a solution to population growth. The people who are actually affected by population growth are the poor, and the rich will be the only people who can move off the Earth. Moreover, with 200,000 people being born every day (link here), there's just no hope to be able to move more people off the planet than are being born anytime within the near future.

Moreover, since neither Mars nor the Moon have any real practical use, there's really no commercial benefit to building colonies on them asides from the coolness factor and the hope that some day, hundreds of generations from now, they'll become mini-Earths (however, I don't think any politician or businessman on the planet really has that long-term a vision). I personally believe asteroid mining operations are far more likely to become large-scale operations in the next few centuries, because there's simply more of an immediate profit to be made.
Well, if colonization creates jobs (it very well should), then the poor and unemployed could become modernized versions of indebted servants to justify the costs of transportation. In the long term, service projects and efficient development of infrastructure will even out the investments made to colonize whatever planet we find.

Of, course, as you said, neither Mars nor the moon are really habitable without some extreme methods of terra-forming (go watch Firefly if you don't know what that is). It's probably more profitable to wait and delve further into space, beyond the seemingly uninhabitable planets of our solar system, with a more efficient fuel resource that we should have discovered by then and find another planet that at least mostly mimics the climate of Earth.

My Battle Log
Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Holland- View Post
Well, if colonization creates jobs (it very well should), then the poor and unemployed could become modernized versions of indebted servants to justify the costs of transportation. In the long term, service projects and efficient development of infrastructure will even out the investments made to colonize whatever planet we find.

Of, course, as you said, neither Mars nor the moon are really habitable without some extreme methods of terra-forming (go watch Firefly if you don't know what that is). It's probably more profitable to wait and delve further into space, beyond the seemingly uninhabitable planets of our solar system, with a more efficient fuel resource that we should have discovered by then and find another planet that at least mostly mimics the climate of Earth.
That wouldn't work. If you look at historical examples, no amount of immigration (with a few notable exceptions spurred by disasters that literally made staying dying) ever was enough to actually decrease or stop population growth. Since Earth's population is projected to max out within the next few centuries anyways, by the time we have the ability to move large amounts of people offworld it'd be too late to solve the population problem.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."