Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Holiday Bullcrap

Many "atheists" believe that the Christmas tree should be re named the Holiday tree. I got news for them...

1) Why are you celebrating a Christian holiday if you are an atheist?
2) The word 'Holiday' comes from Holyday...
3) Why can't you just name your tree the Holiday Tree and leave other people alone.
4) Do Christians tell you to name your tree a Christmas Tree? No...
5) It is a free country fools!

Now that I have said this I am not insulting all atheists. Just ones who agree with the whole "The Christmas Tree should be named Holiday Tree"
Old 12-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok
Default Re: Holiday Bullcrap

I have never heard of anyone wanting to rename a Christmas Tree a Holiday Tree.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

I'm pretty sure some atheists are doing that because its very likely December 25th is not actually the day Jesus Christ was born, and because of that, it justifies it being called a "holiday tree." In addition to that, putting up trees and wreaths were originally Pagan traditions. From what I can tell, this is why some atheists feel they're entitled to celebrate a "commercialized Christmas" as well.

I think what people are forgetting is what resembles the holiday in the first place. People should stop to consider the whole meaning of the holiday before trying to derail its traditions and turn what started as a day of celebration and thanksgiving into a commercialized money-making opportunity, along with portraying it as a day to satiate wants and desires.

If people continue to see it just as a day to get gifts and spend money, then we've lost something very precious indeed.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
Many "atheists" believe that the Christmas tree should be re named the Holiday tree. I got news for them...

1) Why are you celebrating a Christian holiday if you are an atheist?
2) The word 'Holiday' comes from Holyday...
3) Why can't you just name your tree the Holiday Tree and leave other people alone.
4) Do Christians tell you to name your tree a Christmas Tree? No...
5) It is a free country fools!

Now that I have said this I am not insulting all atheists. Just ones who agree with the whole "The Christmas Tree should be named Holiday Tree"
Just as a tidbit of info, Christmas started as a pagan holiday, so Jesus probably hates you for celebrating it anyway.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Cucumber Offline

Send a message via AIM to Cucumber

I'm an Atheist and I don't think it should be renamed and no one I know thinks it should. No idea where you got this anyways.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Woodchuck Offline

Send a message via MSN to Woodchuck Send a message via Skype™ to Woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflTacos View Post
I'm an Atheist and I don't think it should be renamed and no one I know thinks it should. No idea where you got this anyways.
It happened a few years ago. A lot of stores were advertising Christmas trees as "Holiday" trees. It's not much of a problem now, but I guess some places still do it. Don't know why they always have to try to ruin traditions. :\

"Because without Twitter... You're f*cking nothing. Your life is just a burnt-out shell. You're like a husk."
Old 12-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

This more stems with America's obsession with being politically correct than with atheist beliefs.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 12-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Cucumber Offline

Send a message via AIM to Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
It happened a few years ago. A lot of stores were advertising Christmas trees as "Holiday" trees. It's not much of a problem now, but I guess some places still do it. Don't know why they always have to try to ruin traditions. :\
I know. My family still celebrates Christmas and we are all Agnostic/Atheist. We celebrate for Family and joy. Not religion.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Wow! This made a whole bunch of people get defensive.
One: You should listen to German/Duetchland news. They are still talking about "Holiday" trees.
Two: Christmas was set on December 25th because we do not know the EXACT date on when Christ was born. Thus, we have 25th. If we found an orphan on the streets and we didn't know the exact age of the person, we would guestimate right?
Three and final: If you are an atheist and you celebrate Christmas you are celebrating a Christian holiday! Capeesh?
Old 12-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Ayotui Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Ayotui

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
Wow! This made a whole bunch of people get defensive.
One: You should listen to German/Duetchland news. They are still talking about "Holiday" trees.
Two: Christmas was set on December 25th because we do not know the EXACT date on when Christ was born. Thus, we have 25th. If we found an orphan on the streets and we didn't know the exact age of the person, we would guestimate right?
Three and final: If you are an atheist and you celebrate Christmas you are celebrating a Christian holiday! Capeesh?
no, you are celebrating a pagan holiday.

URPG VPP
Quote:
BlueJelloJelly (21:16:43): Alex walked into the woods with his trusty Magikarp. Suddenly, OMFG a Porygon-Z appeared! Magikarp used Splash! The Porygon-Z fainted! Alex threw a Pogeyballz and it wobbled like two Diglett at a night club.
Quote:
lord khajmer (20:38:29): Bubble KO gg
Old 12-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Claona Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Claona

Christians can call their trees "christmas trees" if they want, it is their right to do so. The U.S. Government, however, is Constitutionally allowed to show preference to any religion over another, or preference of religion over non-religion. State and local governments put up "Holiday trees" to celebrate Christian, Jewish, Pagan, and secular holidays with one tree. Putting up only a "Christmas Tree", and excluding all other displays is a direct violation of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Secular groups fight displaying only Christian displays in government buildings, but have never tried to force Christians from calling their privately owned displays "Christmas trees", as that too would be a violation of the First Amendment. The Government must remain neutral on religious holidays, it is law.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:15 PM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotui View Post
no, you are celebrating a pagan holiday.
Wrong.

The Christian holiday that celebrates the birth of Jesus is called Christmas and they did celebrate it by putting up Christmas trees and exchanging of gifts. That's how I have always known it. Christmas is primary a Christian holiday. Now I don't care if you are a atheists and celebrate and just leaving the religion part out of it, but you will not defile the name of a holiday that celebrates one of the most important events in the Christian religion.

Now with the tree thing, if stores want to put up "holiday" tree to please everyone, that's fine with me, but changing the name, yeah that won't slide. Also he is talking about Germany, which I don't know how things work over there, so yeah.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 12-25-2009, 09:12 PM
kokovo Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via MSN to kokovo

I celebrate Christmas even though I'm an atheist.
But I celebrate family and friends, and that's what should be celebrated in my opinion.

Earth taken from the Voyager 1 as it left our solar system
Old 12-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Claona Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Claona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubatheDiverman View Post
Wrong.

The Christian holiday that celebrates the birth of Jesus is called Christmas and they did celebrate it by putting up Christmas trees and exchanging of gifts. That's how I have always known it. Christmas is primary a Christian holiday. Now I don't care if you are a atheists and celebrate and just leaving the religion part out of it, but you will not defile the name of a holiday that celebrates one of the most important events in the Christian religion.

Now with the tree thing, if stores want to put up "holiday" tree to please everyone, that's fine with me, but changing the name, yeah that won't slide. Also he is talking about Germany, which I don't know how things work over there, so yeah.
Hes not referring to the meaning of the holiday, but the rituals, and parts of the story. Decorated trees, gift-giving, baby born to a virgin, the lights, even the date of the Holiday all have Pagan origins if you trace back their history.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Ayotui Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Ayotui

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubatheDiverman View Post
Wrong.

Rigth

im not atheist and i do believe in god, but the fact is he tradition of decorating chirstmas trees actually came far before jesus even was born. It was an ancient Pagan traditition, and it was common to put up trees and put decorations on them.

and yes the christmas tree has always been associated with Christ, it was a wrong association.

and for the record im christian. I i just want the facts to be known

URPG VPP
Quote:
BlueJelloJelly (21:16:43): Alex walked into the woods with his trusty Magikarp. Suddenly, OMFG a Porygon-Z appeared! Magikarp used Splash! The Porygon-Z fainted! Alex threw a Pogeyballz and it wobbled like two Diglett at a night club.
Quote:
lord khajmer (20:38:29): Bubble KO gg