Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Psychedelic Shroomish Offline

Send a message via AIM to Psychedelic Shroomish
Default Little Cup Clause

In the URPG, basics are very rarely used in battle except for when you're trying to evolve them (which is usually a 1v1 and is not competitive at all) or if you're doing 2HKOs. Most people do not want to have basics in their stats because if they get roared in during a regular battle or a gym battle, that's going to suck. However, I feel that basics are being given unfair treatment. They should be judged based on the content of their character, not their fluffy and cute exterior.

There have been several times when Little Cup rules have been implemented into URPG; tournaments, FFAs, special war rules, etc. Every time they have used, people have said how much fun they have had playing with them. Why? It's something fresh and new. The Little Cup metagame is a lot different than the standard fully evolved battles. Different stats, different types, different move availability, everything. Playing with the same fully evolved monsters can get boring, and I think adding the option of being able to play with Little Cup rules would be a fun way to spice up battles. So, for this reason I feel a Little Cup clause should be an option available during battles. What that means basically is that you could use fully evolved Pokemon, but they would be turned into their basic form. You might be thinking right now, why not just do basic battles if you want to battle using basic Pokemon? Well, as you all know once you evolve a Pokemon it is stuck that way. Most people aren't going to want to leave a weak basic Pokemon in their stats, TM it, and never be able to use it in serious battles vs fully evolved Pokemon.

Here's an outline of what the rules of Little Cup Clause would look like, taken from the Little Cup Tournament thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuzo-kun
* Pokemon that do not evolve cannot be used.
* Pokemon that, in a previous generation, were an unevolving Pokemon and are now the lowest stage of their evolution line cannot be used (i.e. Scyther, Sneasel etc). If they have a baby form (Elekid, Magby etc) you may use that.
* Your Pokemon (in their lowest evolution stage) will be able to use all TM moves that your original Pokemon knows that the lowest evolution stage would be able to learn themselves (i.e. if you submitted Infernape, your Chimchar would be able to use Grass Knot, but not Stone Edge). The same applies for Move Tutor moves.
* Your Pokemon can use any Breeding moves in its lowest evolution stage that it knows.
This could also help to greatly reduce the massive problem with 2HKOs that has been plaguing the URPG for eternity.

Just a suggestion, as I thought it would be pretty fun.

Post any comments/thoughts/opinions please. =^-^=

Last edited by The Jr Trainer; 01-06-2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: hit edit instead of quote ... fail
Old 12-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Haze Offline

Send a message via AIM to Haze
Default Re: Little Cup Clause

I think it would be interesting, even if LC is completely fail at level 100.

This would definitely have to be barred from LD/E4/Gym battles though.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Stinky Offline
Garbage Can

Send a message via AIM to Stinky

I think this would be a good addition to URPG, but idk how often it would be used. :x In any case, I think that we should definitely keep a ban list for it, although Cranidos might be the only thing on it besides stuff outlawed in the rules.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Sec Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Sec

I think this is a wonderful idea. I remember that when I played in the first round of the Little Cup it was a lot of fun, as well as all of the Little Cup FFAs I've been in. PS makes an amazing point and i would love to see this become a clause :] Although I really doubt it would fix the 2HKO problem. People don't do 2HKOs just to evolve their Pokemon; they do it to evolve them QUICKLY and to earn money (depending on if you're KOing or being KOed). Either way, great idea! I can't wait to have fun with some Little Cup battles :]
Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

I'd love a LC Clause. Hell, I keep a Shieldon for basics battles, but actually being able to use it for a real battle would be awesome.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Shana2488 Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Shana2488 Send a message via MSN to Shana2488 Send a message via Yahoo to Shana2488

I may be wanting to evolve a lot of Pokemon, but there's a few that I don't want to evolve such as Squirt my sky blue Squirtle. I'm a major fan of Squirtle and I don't want to evolve it which is why I have Shellshocker, the other Squirtle, because I'm also a fan of Wartortle and Blastoise. I've done that for a long time now: keep one particular Squirtle as it is and evolve another Squirtle. Though, that doesn't mean that I don't want to enter Squirt in battles and a Little Cup Clause would allow me to do that without worrying about him getting beat up by fully-evolved Pokeon! On top of that, it would help to raise other people's basics when they just started without that same fear of getting pummeled.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:00 PM
DarkGardevoir Offline

Send a message via AIM to DarkGardevoir Send a message via MSN to DarkGardevoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze View Post
I think it would be interesting, even if LC is completely fail at level 100.

This would definitely have to be barred from LD/E4/Gym battles though.
I agree with E4, but I don't really see what would be the big problem with Gym Battle especially. I mean, this clause allows for a different take on the battle as you technically have to use different Pokemon. True, it does limit things somewhat- since you can't use Pokemon who can't evolve, or Scizor/Weavile et similia, but if the Gym Leader wants it, what's the problem?

After all, isn't the Gym Leader role to test the strength of who challenges their gym? And what better way for it to happen, than using gimmicky rules such as this one?

Vocaboulary Game
Quote:
MeowthMistress1: the alimighty ranger station
MeowthMistress1: we serve to protect you, just don't require us to spell or use proper grammar.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Haze Offline

Send a message via AIM to Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGardevoir View Post
I agree with E4, but I don't really see what would be the big problem with Gym Battle especially. I mean, this clause allows for a different take on the battle as you technically have to use different Pokemon. True, it does limit things somewhat- since you can't use Pokemon who can't evolve, or Scizor/Weavile et similia, but if the Gym Leader wants it, what's the problem?

After all, isn't the Gym Leader role to test the strength of who challenges their gym? And what better way for it to happen, than using gimmicky rules such as this one?
Yes, it is to test their strength; not their ability to lose to some abstract rule that the leader has to use because they're not good enough.

Little Cup metagame is incredibly centralized around a few Pokemon, and the rest are complete garbage to be honest. I assumed the recent tourney would have brought that to light.

Last edited by Haze; 01-05-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:15 AM
Leman Offline

Send a message via AIM to Leman

Quote:
Yes, it is to test their strength; not their ability to lose to some abstract rule that the leader has to use because they're not good enough.

Little Cup metagame is incredibly centralized around a few Pokemon, and the rest are complete garbage to be honest. I assumed the recent tourney would have brought that to light.
So is the rest of the URPG. There are maybe 20 Pokemon that people use. Plus the fact that URPG LC has been explored through one tournament means that you can't make an accurate assessment of its centralization (or really anything). Especially since the choice of Pokemon was 100% theory based. It seemed to be ones best URPG Pokemon who had decent first stages. All what the tournament proved, was that the metagame was viable and interesting.

That being said, LC Clause should NOT be allowed in gym battles, or LD or Elite 4 battles. And Cranidos should not be banned until Wobbuffet is banned from the URPG. (Which isn't going to happen.)

Done: 8680

I don't ref forum battles/1v1s. Don't PM me to ref, IM me instead.
I need to have basic battles.

I grade week old stories that are Hard rank or lower. :)

Old 01-06-2010, 02:00 AM
The Jr Trainer Offline

Send a message via AIM to The Jr Trainer Send a message via MSN to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Yahoo to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Skype™ to The Jr Trainer

Quote:
It's something fresh and new. The Little Cup metagame is a lot different than the standard fully evolved battles. Different stats, different types, different move availability, everything. Playing with the same fully evolved monsters can get boring,
Well then, let's use some different Pokemon. No one is forcing you to use Scizor, Infernape, Alakazam, Gengar, Togekiss, Salamence, etc. in every battle; having more difference from battle to battle is a personal choice which most people ignore; you could simply use different Pokemon if you want some fun battle.

Quote:
This could also help to greatly reduce the massive problem with 2HKOs that has been plaguing the URPG for eternity.
Uh, explaination?

Anyway, if this is implemented, I don't think there should be a ban list until we make a ban list for the regular 'metagame' of URPG.

But! I'm neutral as I don't battle much anymore.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jr Trainer View Post
Well then, let's use some different Pokemon. No one is forcing you to use Scizor, Infernape, Alakazam, Gengar, Togekiss, Salamence, etc. in every battle; having more difference from battle to battle is a personal choice which most people ignore; you could simply use different Pokemon if you want some fun battle.
No one's forcing anyone to use Scizor, Salamence, and so on and so forth, except for everyone else using those Mon. Most of the time if you try to use anything below OU, you get thrashed. Certain BL Mon can battle among the OUs and come out on top, things like Staraptor and Crobat, but most of them fall short. And anything below that is, almost 100% of the time, going to fail epically against all the Dragonite, Jolteon, and Weavile running around. Thus, in order to have a chance at winning, you pretty much have to use at least popular, useful BL Mon.

Being able to use the LC clause opens up many more options for people who don't want to use the same old Pokemon over and over. Just because a Mon's final evolution is OU doesn't mean the same will be true for its basic form. On the other hand I wouldn't know, since I hardly ever get to do serious basics battles. At any rate, I don't see what the harm would be in making the LC clause available. Isn't the point of the URPG to have fun?

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 01-10-2010, 02:28 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

Like most battle clauses, the final decision comes down to Mike and whoever he wishes to advise him. He'll know best how such battle rules will balance, and unbalance things. Still, I doubt this clause will affect anything since we won't be using it in any important battles. If it's any help, I support the addition of this clause to possible options.

And it would be fun to play this way as well! We all know Bulbasaur is awesome.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Loyal Arcanine Offline

Send a message via AIM to Loyal Arcanine

Quote:
Indeed. I would even like to say that the strength of both Gym Leader and challenger is tested better by a regular battle than Little Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog of Hellsing View Post
No one's forcing anyone to use Scizor, Salamence, and so on and so forth, except for everyone else using those Mon. Most of the time if you try to use anything below OU, you get thrashed. Certain BL Mon can battle among the OUs and come out on top, things like Staraptor and Crobat, but most of them fall short. And anything below that is, almost 100% of the time, going to fail epically against all the Dragonite, Jolteon, and Weavile running around. Thus, in order to have a chance at winning, you pretty much have to use at least popular, useful BL Mon.
Bogus. I've used the likes of Arcanine and Ninetales in my last few battles, and there's a lot of fun to be gained from that. Use BL's, UU's. Like Jr said, if you want something different you really don't have to stick to Togekiss, Salamence, Tyranitar and Garchomp. Use something different, and if you win it'll give you even more satisfaction. And it really is not impossible to win with other mons than those OU's.

All in all, I'm ending this discussion and Little Cup is a no. Every now and then we can have a tourney like we had for the heck of it, but I really don't see the need to introduce this as a rule, especially since, like others already said, it would not be applied to important battles anyway.

*Locked.

"gengar is a fart" imsocorn (4:08:55): Is that your way of saying "and not a single **** was given that day" ?

Closed Thread