Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default 2012

If you haven't heard of this, then you really need to get out more.

(I didn't see a thread for this on the first four pages, so apologies if it's already been done >.>)

Anyways, what's your opinion on this? Do the people crying that the world's going to end have any basis for their claim in fact? Or is it just a bunch of mumbo-jumbo made up by crazy people interpreting the hundred-year-old rocks of even crazier Mayans?

Discuss.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 12-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Bumblebee16 Offline

Send a message via AIM to Bumblebee16 Send a message via MSN to Bumblebee16 Send a message via Yahoo to Bumblebee16
Default Re: 2012

I think 'it is just a bunch of mumbo-jumbo made up by crazy people interpreting the hundred-year-old rocks of even crazier Mayans!'

Old 12-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Spinner Offline
Master Trainer

Post Re: 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee16 View Post
I think 'it is just a bunch of mumbo-jumbo made up by crazy people interpreting the hundred-year-old rocks of even crazier Mayans!'
I agree... lol
There's nothing particularly significant about the year 2012... So, unless God has planned the apocalypse for '12, or scientist's on earth have got the age of our favourite star SEVERELY wrong, I'd say we're pretty safe.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Gold Rush Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Gold Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
If you haven't heard of this, then you really need to get out more.
No, you need to stay on the computer more ._.

I think 2012 end of world stuff is a load of crap and I'll enjoy 2012 when I watch some olympic events live in London ;D

[URPG] [VPP] [Knights of the Round Table] [ASB]

“For ten years I chased Suicune, and I finally got to see it. I'm all choked up!”
Old 12-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Rapt0r Offline
Banned

Quote:
I Agree 100% With Bumble Bee :D
Old 12-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Bumblebee16 Offline

Send a message via AIM to Bumblebee16 Send a message via MSN to Bumblebee16 Send a message via Yahoo to Bumblebee16

Although I don't believe that it is going to end in 2012, it makes me wonder if they can, in the near future, predict when the Earth is going to end accurately or with a good estimate, and not by some calander.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Ayotui Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Ayotui

Quote:
Although I don't believe that it is going to end in 2012, it makes me wonder if they can, in the near future, predict when the Earth is going to end accurately or with a good estimate, and not by some calander.
And what makes you think a calendar is not accurate. (is totaly joking)

and as for the whole mayans 2012 end of the world thing, maybe making calendars wasnt their top priority, an they found out that it was a long time utnil 2012 so they stoped making calendars.

URPG VPP
Quote:
BlueJelloJelly (21:16:43): Alex walked into the woods with his trusty Magikarp. Suddenly, OMFG a Porygon-Z appeared! Magikarp used Splash! The Porygon-Z fainted! Alex threw a Pogeyballz and it wobbled like two Diglett at a night club.
Quote:
lord khajmer (20:38:29): Bubble KO gg
Old 12-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Bumblebee16 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotui View Post
And what makes you think a calendar is not accurate. (is totaly joking)

and as for the whole mayans 2012 end of the world thing, maybe making calendars wasnt their top priority, an they found out that it was a long time utnil 2012 so they stoped making calendars.
Lol'd at that xD. I just want something more than a calander as proof!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Spinner Offline
Master Trainer

Post Re: 2012

Quote:
Lol'd at that xD. I just want something more than a calander as proof!
And that's the other thing... IS there anything other than a calendar? I mean, did they actually predict it, or did we just assume they did coz that's when their calendars stopped?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Synester Offline

Send a message via AIM to Synester

Err, wasen't the Mayan calander going to end eventually?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:47 AM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I agree... lol
There's nothing particularly significant about the year 2012... So, unless God has planned the apocalypse for '12, or scientist's on earth have got the age of our favourite star SEVERELY wrong, I'd say we're pretty safe.
Well according to God we would have already known. If the world ends in 2012, then the Rapture would of started in 2005 :P There is also the thousand years of tribulation in which the world (according to the Bible) is still intact xD So from a Christian's view = no.

Though there is another less known idea of what will happen in 2012 and I kind of agree with. Some people think it's going to be a rebirth of the world(I'm guessing something on the lines of the Renaissance in Europe in 1450) I also find it funny because it's pretty much the exact opposite xD

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 12-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

I get tired of these discussions, especially on facebook. I, like a good number of people I know, think that the Mayan Calendar ending in 2012 is just another coincidential occurence. Sure the Mayan Calendar is follows a cyclical historical viewpoint which may assume that the world will end and be reborn but the evidence of this is rather thin. Most likely since the Mayan Calendar has gone through multiple rotations, if the world were to end when the calendar ended, then the world would have ended many times before.

This pretty much emphasizes what I think about the 2012 Apocalypse:
Old 12-07-2009, 06:46 AM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN

Ah, sorry...
Didn't you hear?

They made a boo-boo when calcing the date. It's been 2220 all along. Have a nice 2012. :P

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around
Old 12-08-2009, 03:34 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkUmBrEoN View Post
Ah, sorry...
Didn't you hear?

They made a boo-boo when calcing the date. It's been 2220 all along. Have a nice 2012. :P
I lol'd.

The world isn't going to end in 2012. 2220 I can believe, but chances are they got that wrong too. Now, a new Rennaisance, that I'll buy, but even then I don't think it's going to be predicted. To put such stock in the Mayans' predictions we need to assume that they have some sort of advantage over us. Crass as it is I agree with Arcemagus's comic. I think they just stopped planning it ahead because something stopped them.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Assaundrell Yumerai Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Assaundrell Yumerai

I think I will just wait the date December 21 2012. If something happens, I will believe, when nothing happens, I will sleep