Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Gold Rush Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Gold Rush
Default Re: Time Clause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger Crysis View Post
Would come in handy when fighting Fenix. She makes me rage. Hard.

~Isaiah
:f

How about time limits where both players must agree and the minimum is like 5 Minutes, it will probably be usefull in a normal battle~

[URPG] [VPP] [Knights of the Round Table] [ASB]

“For ten years I chased Suicune, and I finally got to see it. I'm all choked up!”
Old 11-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Eraizaa-kun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Eraizaa-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Rush View Post
:f

How about time limits where both players must agree and the minimum is like 5 Minutes, it will probably be usefull in a normal battle~

Well, we are not trying to make it a rule for all battles. It's like an optional rule for those who want to have fun with it. I guess the minimum could be a rushing 1 minute and a max of a nice 10. I'm thinking this would make an awesome, although not popular, rule for a few gyms. Normal gym battles give you that rush sensation to start with. ^^
Old 11-21-2009, 07:22 PM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraizaa-kun View Post

Well, we are not trying to make it a rule for all battles. It's like an optional rule for those who want to have fun with it. I guess the minimum could be a rushing 1 minute and a max of a nice 10. I'm thinking this would make an awesome, although not popular, rule for a few gyms. Normal gym battles give you that rush sensation to start with. ^^

I do admit, I wouldn't mind playing a battle with this optional rule. It would certainly make them go faster! As much as I do love our epic battles with Fenix, I also love battles that might be a bit faster.

I mean, this really isn't a big change. It won't affect Elite, Gym, or Tournament battles (unless we make a tournament based solely on this rule). This seems to be just a rule for all the fun, little battles we have with our rivals.

I just want to know how you think this should be implemented. Should refs be strict about the time, or are a few seconds off okay? And do you have a way to time it so that both participants can see how much time they have left?
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Eraizaa-kun Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKim View Post
I do admit, I wouldn't mind playing a battle with this optional rule. It would certainly make them go faster! As much as I do love our epic battles with Fenix, I also love battles that might be a bit faster.

I mean, this really isn't a big change. It won't affect Elite, Gym, or Tournament battles (unless we make a tournament based solely on this rule). This seems to be just a rule for all the fun, little battles we have with our rivals.

I just want to know how you think this should be implemented. Should refs be strict about the time, or are a few seconds off okay? And do you have a way to time it so that both participants can see how much time they have left?
The way I see it, the time is chosen by the players. Every computer comes with a built in clock that counts seconds, so, after the ref asks for the moves, the ref should start counting either with that clock or with anything they have to count the time. (Basically, the ref counts the time) After the time runs out, the ref will start reffing the turn, turning the moves of those who have not sent into Splash. Trainers have until the ref starts reffing the turn to send, so, if like, the limit is 5 minutes, after 5 minutes the ref will begin typing. If they send the move before the ref presses "Enter" then they are save, if not, well, Splash for them.

As for the problem where a trainer may BRB to gain some free time, we could have like, a limit to how many times they can BRB in a single battle. Or we could make it a "Use at your own risk" rule where you know that if you have to BRB the time will keep running.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khajmer View Post
Edit: On the other hand I do think that a person taking ten or fifteen minutes to send is just absolutely ridiculous if they have no excuse other than indecision.
Seriously?

I always pictured battles as if I were in the anime. It's an old fashioned chat room rping style I used to participate in before URPG. The other person isn't just going to sit there and wait for you to call an attack, lol, they'll just attack you. Ignore my ramblings, I'm way too old school for battles these days.

I'm still baffled one move can take over 5 minutes to pick. I know you want to win, but you have to think about the ref and how valuable his/her time is as well.

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 11-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Ataro Offline
RUSTYREFBOT

Send a message via AIM to Ataro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khajmer View Post
On the other hand I do think that a person taking ten or fifteen minutes to send is just absolutely ridiculous if they have no excuse other than indecision. I just think that this has some level of unfairness in the case of irl stuff.
It is indeed ridiculous, except if it is an important match. Specific turns in an important match require extreme careful decision of moves, since that can decide the outcome of the match. Still, that doesn't apply to every single turn in a game.

ANYWAY, I really don't think this is required. In the more serious matches, players should know what they are doing and only take longer than 5 minutes perhaps, when they're facing a decision which could very well decide the outcome of the match. The people that take very long to send are just a tiny minority of the URPG community anyway.

To sum up, if you really want this clause, make it an optional. I don't think it's needed though.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Eraizaa-kun Offline

To be honest, I don't know why the subject of people who take too long in battles came up when, if you read the very first post, this clause it not meant to fix that. In fact, if you notice, from the very start the rule was meant to be optional.

Being an optional rule, if it were approved, it can't affect those battlers that take too long. Why? Because that minority that does take too long, yeah, they are Gym Leaders, Elite Four, and sometimes just people whom you will face in tournaments.

In a Gym battle, the Gym Leaders choose the rules, so if they take long, they won't choose the Time Clause. Elite Four Battles and Tournaments already have their pre-chosen set of rules too, so, when you look at it, before and even after the Time Clause is accepted (IF it gets accepted) you will have the exact same people taking all the time they want to move and make their decisions.

So, once again, this rule is meant for fun and to have a different more challenging way of battling.

If you are going to talk/complain about those people that take too long to make their moves, bring up the subject in the URPG General Chat or make a new thread in the Trainers' Court 'cause as you can see, the subject is not really relevant to this thread.

Thank you all for your cooperation. ^^;
Old 11-25-2009, 06:56 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN

Meh, I never got the point why people need to take 5+ minutes to call a move. My understanding was always that if you're that good, you should've calculated 3 moves ahead. Yea, chess analogy, sue me.

Optional, sure. And I seriously hated reffing certain matches due to this not being available.

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around
Old 11-25-2009, 09:16 PM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

Heh, let's get this finalized then.

Eraizaa, why don't you put together a "Final Draft" of the rules. Something that we would put in the Rules Section or whatever thread we deem necessary. Submit it here or to me and the URPG leaders will discuss it. Probably won't be too long, just a process to make sure nothing is broken or terrible.

And then after that, since this deals more with reffing and battle rulesets, Mike will decide to approve it or not. Sound good?
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Eraizaa-kun Offline

Alright, here's how I picture the full rule:

Time Clause: Both Players must decide an amount of minutes (minimum 1) when stating the battle rules. Each player has that amount of time to send their moves during the battle or have their Pokemon skip their moves. The time is counted by the ref and it begins counting as soon as the ref asks for the moves. In DP rules, the time for the player sending the move second begins counting as soon as the other player sends his/her move. (default: Time Clause off)

Optional Rules WITHIN the Time Clause:

-----Time Outs: Both players must decide if they will allow Time Outs during their battle. Time Outs allowed would be one 5 minute Time Out during a 3vs3 or a 4vs4 battle, or a max of two 5 minutes Time Outs during a 5vs5 or a 6vs6 battle. No Time Outs will be allowed during a 1vs1 or a 2vs2 battle. Players can use their Time Outs whenever they want and for whatever reason they want, but they lose their Time Out even if they didn't use the full 5 minutes. If no Time Outs are allowed or if players have run out of Time Outs, players must be aware that they are playing at their own risk since they can't interrupt the battle no matter what. (default: Time Outs off)

I guess this next one HAS to be added...

-----Bathroom Breaks: It is strongly suggested that both players are fully ready to have a complete battle without interruptions before they begin. However, if the battle takes 1 hour or more to complete, the ref should call a 10 minute Bathroom Break on the hour. Players should either take it or leave it, but they shouldn't expect another break like that for another hour. (default: Bathroom Breaks on)

In addition to all this, I suggest players are allowed to keep their Time Clause Battle scores separate from their regular battle scores, although Time Clause Battles would still count towards evolution points for non-fully evolved Pokemon.

I hope that covers everything. = )
Old 11-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Marth Offline

Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKim View Post
Heh, let's get this finalized then.

Eraizaa, why don't you put together a "Final Draft" of the rules. Something that we would put in the Rules Section or whatever thread we deem necessary. Submit it here or to me and the URPG leaders will discuss it. Probably won't be too long, just a process to make sure nothing is broken or terrible.

And then after that, since this deals more with reffing and battle rulesets, Mike will decide to approve it or not. Sound good?
Harry! All of this gives me an idea for yet another tournament!

Blitzkrieg Tournament:
-30 seconds time clause with 3 one minute timouts for each battle. Those who don't send move on time will use splash XD
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD
Old 11-26-2009, 09:21 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marth View Post
Harry! All of this gives me an idea for yet another tournament!

Blitzkrieg Tournament:
-30 seconds time clause with 3 one minute timouts for each battle. Those who don't send move on time will use splash XD
The minimum for Time Clause is 1 minute, as Eraizaa said.

This sounds like a fun idea if someone's bored. I probably won't use it, but it's good to know it's there.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Marth Offline

Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
The minimum for Time Clause is 1 minute, as Eraizaa said.

This sounds like a fun idea if someone's bored. I probably won't use it, but it's good to know it's there.
Precisely why the rules I stated do not say "time clause", since one minute is a lot of time for thinking. 30 seconds works better in a blitzkrieg-like match, not to mention more stressful.
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD
Old 11-27-2009, 03:34 AM
GreenRampage Offline

Send a message via AIM to GreenRampage

Quote:
Precisely why the rules I stated do not say "time clause", since one minute is a lot of time for thinking. 30 seconds works better in a blitzkrieg-like match, not to mention more stressful.
I love all of this quick speed battling all of a sudden (this, AS's ffa, ya)

Sounds like a good tournament for after an auction or something of those lines.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:56 AM
Eraizaa-kun Offline

Quote:

Sounds fun. Who knows? IF the Time Clause rule is accepted and the tournament goes well, we could make the minimum 30 seconds instead of 1 minute...

...okay, getting ahead of myself a bit, but, we'll see. = )