Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Role Play » Role Play Sign Ups & Discussion

Role Play Sign Ups & Discussion Sign up for and discuss Role Plays here. Have anything to ask about a Role Play you're in, or need to put up extra info for people to refer to? What if you need help with an idea that's missing that extra kick? Do it all here!

Old 11-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: State of RPing... [[RPers should look here. X_X]]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Scott View Post
YOU'RE ON, sir.
*Gasp* Four word rule! j/k

I won't be submitting anything myself though. I just make the prizes.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
*Gasp* Four word rule! j/k

I won't be submitting anything myself though. I just make the prizes.
Oh goody, now the rest of us have a chance.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 11-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Hyosuke Offline

Send a message via AIM to Hyosuke Send a message via MSN to Hyosuke Send a message via Skype™ to Hyosuke

Quote:
Another thing which I think is the problem is the storylines in these newer RPs are just so cliché. It’s almost as bad as the anime. Usually, one of the teams (Rocket, Galactic, and so on) are doing something, a legendary Pokémon gets involved, and its up to a random group of kids to do something about it. Horribly boring and done many times before. Either that, or it’s a battle coliseum/island setup, and there’s no storyline involved whatsoever, which I honestly feel is even worse. I would WAY rather see RPs where people think outside of the box and stop confining themselves to the contexts of the games. Get truly interesting and intense storylines going that are original and haven’t been done before. Use movies and other games for inspiration, and stop feeling like its too dangerous to take a risk and try something new for a change.
This really hit me hard dude XD. I'll make sure to keep this in mind when I'm writing a role play. But I'd like to get to some sort of ending on my current RP (Either bad or good). I might even print this out and hang it up over my computer lol.

Anyways it hits me hard because I always feel like my RPs aren't original or at least original enough. I know that you should at least try to get as original as possible though ^ ^, so I am trying my best. =) anyways, thanks for saying that Neo.

Last edited by Hyosuke; 11-10-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Grsspkmnmaster Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Grsspkmnmaster

Quote:
Thank you, Alana Marie, for writing this, because you’ve pretty much said everything that’s been on my mind regarding this situation but have been too preoccupied to mention openly. I recently made an RP that was absolutely swarmed by people that had lacking standards, and because of that, most people swiftly gave up on it very early, self included. From what I can tell, lately, the bar for RPing has dropped simply because most people are not trying to excel themselves beyond the most primitive form of RPing possible, but are instead expecting the rest of the forum to bend down to their level. And yeah, you bring up a good point. People RP like they really don’t care and they’re just trying to get it over with. But with that reasoning, why bother?

Anyway…

About the RP guide, I know its long and the people that should be reading it to improve likely don’t have the attention span to do so. I would rewrite it if I knew it would help things around here, but I look back at it and I can honestly say there’s not much I would change about it.

Another thing which I think is the problem is the storylines in these newer RPs are just so cliché. It’s almost as bad as the anime. Usually, one of the teams (Rocket, Galactic, and so on) are doing something, a legendary Pokémon gets involved, and its up to a random group of kids to do something about it. Horribly boring and done many times before. Either that, or it’s a battle coliseum/island setup, and there’s no storyline involved whatsoever, which I honestly feel is even worse. I would WAY rather see RPs where people think outside of the box and stop confining themselves to the contexts of the games. Get truly interesting and intense storylines going that are original and haven’t been done before. Use movies and other games for inspiration, and stop feeling like its too dangerous to take a risk and try something new for a change.

The only thing I can suggest is for more of the experienced role players to give it their best shot to come up with the best RPs they can design. Heck, I think an RP design contest would actually be pretty cool, just focused on cranking out the best ideas for an actual RP. Not sure what the prizes for winning would be like, but I guess when that person actually releases their RP, having a "RP Design Contest Gold Award" banner or image seal on it sure would definitely attract a lot of positive attention to it.
I have to agree with Neo (and Hyosuke above me) on this.

There aren't a lot of riveting Role plays to join right now, though there are a few exceptions. I think a big problem right now is that too many inexperienced RP'ers are jumping into running their own RP too quickly before they have enough experience to actually have a good plotline (I was guilty of this too for quite a while). I think that there needs to be more cooperation of the less experienced with people who have valuable RP experience so that they can create an RP that is actually able to carry its own plotline...

Old 11-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Alana Marie Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimashi View Post
Ok first: Do NOT call me sweetie.

Second: You would have no idea what the New Age thing is. It is not on here.

Third: I'm not trying to use this as an excuse for my ****** RPing or a pity party. -_-

Forth: Well at least I'm trying. -_-

Fifth: I know I wasn't around before they fell. I just assumned that it was the normal posting length -_-

Sixth: Stop directing your whining at me. -_-

Hey, Kimashi and Esper, please do not fight here x-x This is to help. Healthy discussion is fine though.

My bad about the ‘sweetie’ thing then. Never had anyone offended by it though O-o

*responds like you did*
Second: Well, then why bring it up here? If it doesn’t have to do with the forum you should have explained it a bit better. X-x seeing as I have no clue what the heck “New Age” is.

Third: CENSORED WORDS *screams* It sure seems like it, what with the way you keep fighting back and all…

Fourth: Honestly, it doesn’t really look like it. I am guessing you are a teenager, and if you are then you really should be above that level for writing.

Fifth: It is, unfortunately, the normal posting length. 3: But apparently, from other posts in this thread, you have been told to add more detail to posts and such

Sixth: I laughed XD I direct at you what you deserve, though I don’t think it was whining. From what it looks like the whining is coming from your side. Don’t get defensive. This thread is to help people :3

OH! And by the way; stating you are getting pissed and want to flame me…Uh why? I am trying to help you and point out what is wrong so you a grow on it. |: It is not a personal attack, don’t make it one. ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larvinator View Post
askjalskjd
You make a great point, thank you for offering your opinion. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Scott View Post
YOU'RE ON, sir.
STOP SPAMMING MY THREAD SCOTTS (hi*hugsmack* :D)
Old 11-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Hyosuke Offline

Send a message via AIM to Hyosuke Send a message via MSN to Hyosuke Send a message via Skype™ to Hyosuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsspkmnmaster View Post
I have to agree with Neo (and Hyosuke above me) on this.

There aren't a lot of riveting Role plays to join right now, though there are a few exceptions. I think a big problem right now is that too many inexperienced RP'ers are jumping into running their own RP too quickly before they have enough experience to actually have a good plotline (I was guilty of this too for quite a while). I think that there needs to be more cooperation of the less experienced with people who have valuable RP experience so that they can create an RP that is actually able to carry its own plotline...
I think I mentioned something about the cooperation of role players somewhere once.

From what I've noticed, when your role players begin to drop away from the commitment they made to the RP, it could start to fall apart. I've taken some aviation courses once and one thing that our flight instructor told me that will always stick with me is that a problem is always started because of a reason, or reasons.

Putting it like a chain, if a light goes out and wont turn back on, that could be delt with. A wheel from the landing gear wont come out, makes things harder but its still very much possible to land the plane. Now for the worst of these 3 problems, if an engine catches on fire and blows out, that makes everything hard. Most planes can deal with about 3 problems on this chain that keeps everything work. After about 3 links stop, things go very bad. Probably the worst thing to happen besides an engine or more than 1 engine blowing out is pilot error.

Now to translate this into RP terms. All role play masters are the pilots, all your role players are the parts. When one doesn't work, it makes your RPs "Flight" and "Landing" harder. Sometimes to the point that the whole thing crashes. Now in all role plays the "Take off" part is always the easiest. However, like a plane during pre-flight inspection (the sign up period), if you got bad parts (bad sign ups) and you accept them, your take off will be horrible or even non-existant. If your flight plan (The plot) isn't made with a clear direction of where you want to go. Then you have no hope of taking off.

Now its not good to shove of bad parts, just give them time to actually get better. Polish them, fix em up. I think its mentioned in the rp instructions sticky, that when you're starting out its good to just observe sign ups and RP posts to get a good idea of what to do. After wards, if the part comes back and its good. Let it go!

Sorry if this was confusing for anyone. If you want me to clarify anything just let me know.

Last edited by Hyosuke; 11-11-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:11 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyosuke View Post
I think I mentioned something about the cooperation of role players somewhere once.

From what I've noticed, when your role players begin to drop away from the commitment they made to the RP, it could start to fall apart. I've taken some aviation courses once and one thing that our flight instructor told me that will always stick with me is that a problem is always started because of a reason, or reasons.

Putting it like a chain, if a light goes out and wont turn back on, that could be delt with. A wheel from the landing gear wont come out, makes things harder but its still very much possible to land the plane. Now for the worst of these 3 problems, if an engine catches on fire and blows out, that makes everything hard. Most planes can deal with about 3 problems on this chain that keeps everything work. After about 3 links stop, things go very bad. Probably the worst thing to happen besides an engine or more than 1 engine blowing out is pilot error.

Now to translate this into RP terms. All role play masters are the pilots, all your role players are the parts. When one doesn't work, it makes your RPs "Flight" and "Landing" harder. Sometimes to the point that the whole thing crashes. Now in all role plays the "Take off" part is always the easiest. However, like a plane during pre-flight inspection (the sign up period), if you got bad parts (bad sign ups) and you accept them, your take off will be horrible or even non-existant. If your flight plan (The plot) isn't made with a clear direction of where you want to go. Then you have no hope of taking off.

Now its not good to shove of bad parts, just give them time to actually get better. Polish them, fix em up. I think its mentioned in the rp instructions sticky, that when you're starting out its good to just observe sign ups and RP posts to get a good idea of what to do. After wards, if the part comes back and its good. Let it go!

Sorry if this was confusing for anyone. If you want me to clarify anything just let me know.
*Clapping* That was a brilliant case of linking the real world to the imaginery. Bravo! Bravo good sir (or m'am-I didn't look XD).

Now, just because a roleplay is short, doesn't mean it's all bad. They can still be very entertaining. I often post short posts in the Sonic roleplay that me and Metal have kept alive, by ourselves, for at least one year. Sometimes, one-liners are necessary to move on past a lackluster part. Sometimes, writer's block strikes too-as an active roleplayer and author, I should know X.x

Quite frankly, if you ever end up with a roleplay that is "lost in the air with no direction"...Throw in a plot twist! That'll work ;) Metal does it all the time XD

Detail is a great thing, but just try not to overdue it! My teacher had me cut out ten of them in a story I did XD Whoopsie. And keep in mind some people may not even know what the words mean. That makes roleplaying considerably more...Difficult.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Dr Robotnik Offline

I knew you'd drag me into this xD Indeed, plot twists are an excellent way to jump-start a plot! And, yes, Grassy and I are probably the only people devoted enough to keep an RP going for that long... Oh well. In any case, if anyone wants ideas for plot twists for your RPs, Grassy and I would be glad to help, just drop one of us a PM *volunteering Grassy against her will*

And I agree, you did a good job comparing the plane to an RP... though, personally, I would land the plane with the landing gear not deployed, 'cause I'm, you know, insane.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:03 AM
Sieses Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sieses

Quote:

*Aplause* Impressive. I would have never thought of that.
Quote:
And I agree, you did a good job comparing the plane to an RP... though, personally, I would land the plane with the landing gear not deployed, 'cause I'm, you know, insane.
I would enjoy watching a plane landing without the landing gea deployed, it would be interesting.
Quote:
Quite frankly, if you ever end up with a roleplay that is "lost in the air with no direction"...Throw in a plot twist! That'll work ;) Metal does it all the time XD
Yes, plot twists for the win.
Quote:
Oh well. In any case, if anyone wants ideas for plot twists for your RPs, Grassy and I would be glad to help, just drop one of us a PM *volunteering Grassy against her will*
lol, when I need a plot twist I will ask you for help.

So yeah, I can't think of anything else to say... yet!
Old 11-11-2009, 02:05 AM
Hyosuke Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal sonic View Post
I knew you'd drag me into this xD Indeed, plot twists are an excellent way to jump-start a plot! And, yes, Grassy and I are probably the only people devoted enough to keep an RP going for that long... Oh well. In any case, if anyone wants ideas for plot twists for your RPs, Grassy and I would be glad to help, just drop one of us a PM *volunteering Grassy against her will*

I like this whole concept of plot twists and have been thinking about one in my RP myself. But right now it seems a little cliche. I wanna find a better way to make it.

As for landing a plane with a broken landing gear, yeah its been done xD and i think in the military you need to be able to land with a broken landing gear. But yeah, it can be considered insane. If possible I'd suggest you take a flight course =D its really fun, that feeling of your stomach still on the ground when you go up. Then while you're up there and the flight instructor says "Ever done a floating pencil?" and you say, "No, this is my first time up here." then he smiles and says "Then hang on tight." then almost cuts the engine and just drops the plane down almost vertically and the pencil on the dash board starts to float. Its exciting stuff i'll tell ya!

btw im a boy ^ ^ xD
Old 11-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Dr Robotnik Offline

Oh, no, I mean no landing gear at all. I'd dive the plane nose-first into the ground to see what would happen xD Like I said, I'm open to helping people with their plot twists. By the way, everything I'm going to suggest is going to sound like it came outta left field, so be prepared xP
Old 11-11-2009, 02:15 AM
Hyosuke Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal sonic View Post
Oh, no, I mean no landing gear at all. I'd dive the plane nose-first into the ground to see what would happen xD Like I said, I'm open to helping people with their plot twists. By the way, everything I'm going to suggest is going to sound like it came outta left field, so be prepared xP
XD OK YOU ARE A NUT CASE! LOL! Well obviously you'd be the first to die in a nose dive. The rest of the plane, (All several tons of it[Course this depends on the type but guess that most planes are above or close to 1000 pounds]) would come crashing down on you--not to mention at a velocity of close to mach or more than mach 1--and the passengers (if existant in the plane). But...if you managed to survive that...i would go down to what ever hospital your at and give you a medal made from genuine gold. Dont ask me how i find the gold, but...I will give you a gold medal.

Last edited by Hyosuke; 11-11-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:35 AM
Sieses Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sieses

Quote:
YOUR FREAKING CRAZY. I would go there to watch you crash. And... if you somehow survived that.... i would go down to what ever hospital your at and slap you across the face for being such a freaking idiot. And then I would give you a real silver medal, because giving a suicidal person such as you solid gold would be a waste.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Ayotui Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Ayotui

hey just a quick question, not intended as an insult or anything but do you guys think the rps have gotten better? or do you think they still have the same level as before this thread was made. i personaly think they have gotten slightly better, they are still not at the desired level but i think some of the new rps comming up have better plots, and a little more detail aswell.

just me saying my opinion while trying to keep this thread alive.

URPG VPP
Quote:
BlueJelloJelly (21:16:43): Alex walked into the woods with his trusty Magikarp. Suddenly, OMFG a Porygon-Z appeared! Magikarp used Splash! The Porygon-Z fainted! Alex threw a Pogeyballz and it wobbled like two Diglett at a night club.
Quote:
lord khajmer (20:38:29): Bubble KO gg
Old 11-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Alana Marie Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotui View Post
hey just a quick question, not intended as an insult or anything but do you guys think the rps have gotten better? or do you think they still have the same level as before this thread was made. i personaly think they have gotten slightly better, they are still not at the desired level but i think some of the new rps comming up have better plots, and a little more detail aswell.

just me saying my opinion while trying to keep this thread alive.
Based on some of the RP's I've stalked this morning I can honestly say some people have taken this to heart and tried more. :3 I'm seeing some longer posts from people.