Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Role Play » Role Play Sign Ups & Discussion

Role Play Sign Ups & Discussion Sign up for and discuss Role Plays here. Have anything to ask about a Role Play you're in, or need to put up extra info for people to refer to? What if you need help with an idea that's missing that extra kick? Do it all here!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Alana Marie Offline

Default State of RPing... [[RPers should look here. X_X]]

Last edited by Alana Marie; 12-01-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Sieses Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sieses
Default Re: State of RPing... [[RPers should look here. X_X]]

Yeah, description and effort. The reason I haven't been doing this I don't know. I've been RPing for a while. Basicly description and effort meens say what your character's thinking, the expression on their face, past experiences with the chatacter their thinking of(if any), small details like eye color and whatnot, details about an attack(how the character is holding it and what it looks like), and things like that... I think?
Old 11-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Coddleflop Offline

I'd add lots of detail, but can't because i'm on a PSP :[

Maybe, when I get a memory card and update, I may be able to add more... If that happens, I'll make sure to add as much detail as possible, as I do admit, I have pretty crappy posts :[
Old 11-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Ken Offline
Elite Trainer

There is this Avatar RPG that I play. I would write long posts, and get long ones back. THen the New Age came, and it kind of sunk my RPing spirits. The New Age was basicly the moved ahead to machines, robots, tanks, computers, etc.

Anyways I came to the RPing section to RP before the new age. My posts were a good legnth then. My favorite RPG being Falcior academy.

That was when the New Age came. My posts shortened, and I didn't really RP that much.

Now I'm trying to get my posts at better lengths.

Oh, and btw, about your second example post, it seems a little.... too detailed. THere is a certain amount of detail that fits. Not to much, not to little.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:03 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimashi View Post
Oh, and btw, about your second example post, it seems a little.... too detailed. THere is a certain amount of detail that fits. Not to much, not to little.
Nope. The amount of detail is just about what I'd expect among the more experienced RPers. Too much detail is paragraphs and paragraphs describing one particular thing, and even then, it's sometimes justified. Her example works perfectly well for its situation.

Even so, one might note that even her modified example is still far too short for what I'd consider a decent post, but for the people who have been posting one-liners or even less than one-liners, it's about what you should aim for as a start.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 11-09-2009, 04:02 AM
philly_713 Offline

I'm still getting the hang of the RP since this is the first time I'm doing this. I used to post in a different forum, but that was for some other things unrelated to RPing. So this a first for me, excuse my newbieness please.

Charizard looks at me and snorts, "No."

"Oy!"

__________________________________________________ ___

Old 11-09-2009, 04:59 AM
Hyosuke Offline

Send a message via AIM to Hyosuke Send a message via MSN to Hyosuke Send a message via Skype™ to Hyosuke

=O detail makes the RP thats for sure. I'm not known for paying much attention to it in the past but recently i've started to take more care in it ^ ^ (sorry for grammar, for stuff like this it doesnt matter to me) =P when players arent that detailed, from what i've noticed, they drop out sooner than others. Detail keeps my imagination going, it sets the whole stage and begins that little movie of what happens in my head ^ ^.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Dr Robotnik Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Even so, one might note that even her modified example is still far too short for what I'd consider a decent post, but for the people who have been posting one-liners or even less than one-liners, it's about what you should aim for as a start.
lol, Lusy, you need four pages in Word for you to consider it a 'Good post' xD

On a topic-related note, I predict this becoming a debate between what is 'Too much' detail xD
Old 11-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Dylan Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Dylan

I know I just started role playing, and it isn't like me to say I'm different in a way from everyone else*, but I don't think I fall under that category. I looked through that same role play you did Alana Marie, to see if it was just one person, but turned out majority of the people in that role play were making short posts. But there is one thing I can say. I'm pretty sure I have role playing experience from playing pretend games when I was little, but we never fought about what was wrong in our game. I think I would always get pissed at my brother for having powers like invisibility and final blows, which in role playing is classified as god modding. Yet I'm not saying it isn't a problem, I'm just trying to emphasize that we shouldn't get in to fights about it.

And getting in to a fight about it, there is no such thing as post that is too long.

Spoiler:
un
less
you
type
this,
then
it
is
way
too
long.

*Translation: Show off.

I am forever bound by chains to PE2K
|TailTail|
Old 11-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Ayotui Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Ayotui

i have been into rping fro quite a while and i have realised that most rps are either super ultra long with a lot of detail, these are mostly the hardest one to get accepted in. and there are also the ones that are really short plot with no detail, these are the easiest ones to get accepted into since you mostly get accepted no matter what.

im not an excelent rper i know that. but i still think there should be more medium rps. that dont accept everybody, but dont go that far that they only accept the very best either.

URPG VPP
Quote:
BlueJelloJelly (21:16:43): Alex walked into the woods with his trusty Magikarp. Suddenly, OMFG a Porygon-Z appeared! Magikarp used Splash! The Porygon-Z fainted! Alex threw a Pogeyballz and it wobbled like two Diglett at a night club.
Quote:
lord khajmer (20:38:29): Bubble KO gg
Old 11-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Thank you, Alana Marie, for writing this, because you’ve pretty much said everything that’s been on my mind regarding this situation but have been too preoccupied to mention openly. I recently made an RP that was absolutely swarmed by people that had lacking standards, and because of that, most people swiftly gave up on it very early, self included. From what I can tell, lately, the bar for RPing has dropped simply because most people are not trying to excel themselves beyond the most primitive form of RPing possible, but are instead expecting the rest of the forum to bend down to their level. And yeah, you bring up a good point. People RP like they really don’t care and they’re just trying to get it over with. But with that reasoning, why bother?

Anyway…

About the RP guide, I know its long and the people that should be reading it to improve likely don’t have the attention span to do so. I would rewrite it if I knew it would help things around here, but I look back at it and I can honestly say there’s not much I would change about it.

Another thing which I think is the problem is the storylines in these newer RPs are just so cliché. It’s almost as bad as the anime. Usually, one of the teams (Rocket, Galactic, and so on) are doing something, a legendary Pokémon gets involved, and its up to a random group of kids to do something about it. Horribly boring and done many times before. Either that, or it’s a battle coliseum/island setup, and there’s no storyline involved whatsoever, which I honestly feel is even worse. I would WAY rather see RPs where people think outside of the box and stop confining themselves to the contexts of the games. Get truly interesting and intense storylines going that are original and haven’t been done before. Use movies and other games for inspiration, and stop feeling like its too dangerous to take a risk and try something new for a change.

The only thing I can suggest is for more of the experienced role players to give it their best shot to come up with the best RPs they can design. Heck, I think an RP design contest would actually be pretty cool, just focused on cranking out the best ideas for an actual RP. Not sure what the prizes for winning would be like, but I guess when that person actually releases their RP, having a "RP Design Contest Gold Award" banner or image seal on it sure would definitely attract a lot of positive attention to it.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Sealboy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sealboy Send a message via MSN to Sealboy Send a message via Skype™ to Sealboy

Job well done, Alana! This shall help plenty of people who need help with their RPing! :D
I was like that when I first started off. Didn't write much, sometimes one-liners. Got myself booted out of an RP once 0_0. However, I decided to up my perfomance and got a little bit better. But I started writing Paragraphs when I joined a Star Wars Forum on an Invision Free board thing. I learnt then how to attack and kill my laptop's keyboard, and I have been better ever since.
Neo Pikachu, awesome idea! You should actually do something like that! It would be awesome! :P
Awesome plots? I may have one. It is an original idea, and I think I'm the only one in the world who has thought about it! My RP 'A Cloud that Looms over Earth' has an awesome plot. I love it and it's so awesome! xP I shouldn't be advertising it on here. xD
Anyway, awesome idea Alana, good work. :P

Click the image above to check out my YouTube Channel - it'd mean a lot.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Alana Marie Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsperTheEspeon View Post
Yeah, description and effort. The reason I haven't been doing this I don't know. I've been RPing for a while. Basicly description and effort meens say what your character's thinking, the expression on their face, past experiences with the chatacter their thinking of(if any), small details like eye color and whatnot, details about an attack(how the character is holding it and what it looks like), and things like that... I think?
Yea, you’ve got that down somewhat. :3 It is just a matter of practicing and trying to keep the length up. Eventually writing two to three paragraphs or adding in small details or witty plays on the words won’t be so hard on you. ^^; Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coddleflop View Post
I'd add lots of detail, but can't because i'm on a PSP :[

Maybe, when I get a memory card and update, I may be able to add more... If that happens, I'll make sure to add as much detail as possible, as I do admit, I have pretty crappy posts :[
Honestly, Coddleflop, that is not much of an excuse. 3: You should try to be at a computer when Rping, because writing decent posts on a PSP would take a ridiculous amount of time. Don’t feel bad though, you have some real potential for growing :] I’ve seen it in your writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimashi View Post
There is this Avatar RPG that I play. I would write long posts, and get long ones back. THen the New Age came, and it kind of sunk my RPing spirits. The New Age was basicly the moved ahead to machines, robots, tanks, computers, etc.

Anyways I came to the RPing section to RP before the new age. My posts were a good legnth then. My favorite RPG being Falcior academy.

That was when the New Age came. My posts shortened, and I didn't really RP that much.

Now I'm trying to get my posts at better lengths.

Uh…New age? X_X What are you talking about? Sweetie, you joined like…2 months ago. You weren’t around before the RP standards fell. And this is not “Here is my excuse why I am not trying and I used to be really good” I looked at your post in the “Falcior Academy” They still aren’t all that long.

Oh, and by the way, if you think my example had too much detail you should probably read the RP guide. XD Because that little scrap took me the 7 minutes before my favorite show came on and I was off the computer for the night. There can never be too much detail, unless you are shoving it down people’s throats. So…yea.

Quote:
Lus says things…
Ohyou<3 Good mod *pats* Right you are, that is something to aim for. But honestly they should be longer x-x and perhaps a bit more effort…as mine was halfhearted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_713 View Post
I'm still getting the hang of the RP since this is the first time I'm doing this. I used to post in a different forum, but that was for some other things unrelated to RPing. So this a first for me, excuse my newbieness please.
No problem. As long as you are willing to listen to advice you should get better in no time. Also, if you are confused feel free to PM me for help. I may be a bit inactive for a while, but I’d be glad to help if I can. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal sonic View Post
stuff
I see a Mr.Spork. *clonks* And there will be no argument because THERE IS NEVER TOO MUCH DETAIL!!! IT IS JUST THE WAY YOU WRITE IT *runs about*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
I know I just started role playing, and it isn't like me to say I'm different in a way from everyone else*, but I don't think I fall under that category. I looked through that same role play you did Alana Marie, to see if it was just one person, but turned out majority of the people in that role play were making short posts. But there is one thing I can say. I'm pretty sure I have role playing experience from playing pretend games when I was little, but we never fought about what was wrong in our game. I think I would always get pissed at my brother for having powers like invisibility and final blows, which in role playing is classified as god modding. Yet I'm not saying it isn't a problem, I'm just trying to emphasize that we shouldn't get in to fights about it.

And getting in to a fight about it, there is no such thing as post that is too long.
._. Yes, but in those little kiddie games you used your imagination. Like you should with Rping. No one else but you knows what your characters looks like, thinks like, acts like, moves like and talks like unless you paint the picture for them. :3 Not trying to cause a fight, but something needs to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotui View Post

im not an excelent rper i know that. but i still think there should be more medium rps. that dont accept everybody, but dont go that far that they only accept the very best either.
Quite honestly I haven’t seen a RP recently that only accepts the best. X_X There is always room for improvement, people just have to embrace the fact that they do need to improve. And yes, moving up and trying to join more detailed RP’s is a good way to get better, reading other’s posts might motivate you to write to the same length as them. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Holy crap it is Neo stuff
Yea.. The RP guide is really well written and very helpful, but people can only get better if they want to. And most people I see are semi averse to changing their ways. And I look forward to that idea, Neo. :3 Maybe I’ll even take a crack at making an RP again. ^^; Thanks for stopping by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealboyno1 View Post
Stuff in small font
:3 Thank you very much. I thought I’d simplify it down to the smallest way I could. See if anyone even took a little piece of it to heart.

ALSO GUESS WHAT?

To prove not everyone is born with decent Rping skills and that you have to work for it…

Quote:
Rivaneil peered through the foggy glass of yet another human dwelling. She looked at it wiith pure digust. "foolish humans" she spat ducking below the rim of window. Another class was going on. This was presumably packed full of used-to-be gods and goddess's like herself. she looked down at her black leather mini-skirt and red corset. it was nothing like her wardrobe back in The Mighty Realm but iot was better then what some where wearing. Math ugh. Huamns had to learn about it and didnt have it born into there brains like she and her fellow power houses did. "now class" began the teacher in a southern drawl. "who did there home work today?" not many answered. Rivaneil rolled her bright red eyes. She wnated to awken her fellow power houses powers. Like her they each posesed a certain power. Hers was fire. They all had the ability to read minds though not each other. she Smiled her evil grinn growing in seize at the sight of a few induvisuals. This would be fun....she wondered why she had been spared the mind whipe it could have possibly been the fact that she had a specail connection with the king of the realm namley she was his niece. The sun twindled down from the branches f the tall tress framing her pretty face in golden light. Her red tresses bounced to her slender waist as she hopped into a tree to wiat out the next hour or so till school was over. she was lucky...she didnt have to go to mortal school..,...
My first post ever on this site. So many typos, grammar issues and I obviously didn’t have a good deal of length. That was only 3 years ago xD The only reason I have improved is because I’ve allowed people to help me. I’ve allowed them to show me my faults so I can fix them. That and I read a lot. ^^; I’d be happy to help anyone who needed me, just feel free to ask.

*breathes* O_o Geeze that took a while. AND LOOK HOW LONG IT IS :O Maybe next time I just won't quote everyone... *headdesk*
Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal sonic View Post
lol, Lusy, you need four pages in Word for you to consider it a 'Good post' xD
Lol, who do you think I am, Neo Pikachu? :3

Quote:
The only thing I can suggest is for more of the experienced role players to give it their best shot to come up with the best RPs they can design. Heck, I think an RP design contest would actually be pretty cool, just focused on cranking out the best ideas for an actual RP. Not sure what the prizes for winning would be like, but I guess when that person actually releases their RP, having a "RP Design Contest Gold Award" banner or image seal on it sure would definitely attract a lot of positive attention to it.
Dude, that is an amazing idea... I can't believe I didn't think of it X_x *commencing t3h evil plotz*

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 11-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Dr Robotnik Offline

Quote:
Lol, who do you think I am, Neo Pikachu? :3
You're getting there XDDD

All joking aside, I'd be willing to help with any ideas you guys've got, if you're interested in my half pence xP *bonked/KO'd*