Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG

Pokemon Ultra RPG Expand your horizons.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 PM
kanga Offline

Default URPG Weekly 24/11/10 - 1/12/10

URPG Weekly

This is our first week of the URPG Weekly and I would like to mention that I hope this is a great success. This week, there has been quite a bit of news.

Content:
  1. News Spotlight
  2. Stories
  3. This Week's FFAs
  4. Trading Section
  5. Newest Members
  6. Featured Gym/Dojo Leader
  7. Featured Strategy Article
  8. Pokemon/Trainer/Story of the Week
  9. Coming Up Next Week
  10. Contributions

News Spotlight

HKim’s new project, Pokémon Missions, has just started its first mission test which is being run by ChainReaction01 and being assisted by myself (Kanga), Evanfardreamer and GliscorMan. With this exciting development, it means that we could be seeing a new addition to the URPG Role-Playing section in a few months.

The newest member of the URPG management team is iReign; we give our congratulations to you, and we wish that you won’t be annoyed when you get piled by approving requests. :XD2:

In other news for you, a couple of moves have been found with errors. Magic Coat and Role Play were found out to be swapped on Pokemon learn-sets; there has been a major list made and is now in the Announcements in Forum section, so that you can rectify the changes where applicable.

Lastly, if you haven't registered for the Christmas Auction, you should go and register now! This year's Christmas Auction will be held on IRC, due to the large amount of new members that URPG has gotten when expanding and as such, it is highly doubted that an AIM Chatroom would fit us all in. The registering process basically includes you registering your nickname on IRC, and posting the nickname that you've registered in the event thread. If you haven't check it out, feel free to click on this link to see the event thread for more information.

Stories

Onto our first special section! This week, it is my pleasure to show you some great stories that I think some of you will enjoy.

The first of which is A Rivet-ing tale! This story is written by one of my favourite authors, evanfardreamer. Evan has managed to start the story in a storyteller style, with an old Aggron standing before a crowd, relating a story known to all about a young Aron named Rivet who went on an adventure to save his village. Shortly after the story ends, their village, hidden inside a mountain, comes under attack by a bunch of humans from Team Rocket. The villagers fought back, but Aaren, the main character, realized he was too young to fight back; he and his close friend run to get help from other mountain denizens. I won't spoil the rest of the story for you, from there you'll have to read it for yourself. I will say good on you, Evan, for writing such an interesting story; it's one of the first of its kind that I've read in URPG. The title is also a link to the story.

Another short story that I think you might enjoy is on the other end of the specturm when it comes to stories told to kids. It's a slightly darker story; Darker than Black, written by a personal friend, Noble One. The story starts with a young man on a ship sailing towards Hoenn. The character's name is Kaiser, and he's taking on the Pokemon league as most trainers do. He meets a girl while leaving the ship and decides he'll have to make friends with her, since he accidentally picked up her diary. They carry on into the city of Slateport; the main character reveals he's there to chase evil spirits away from the local woods. Unfortunately, there's a bigger crisis, and he gets roped into that rather than what he'd intended to do. Now that I've given you a short summary of the story, for about the first quarter, I expect you to go and read it. I'm sure it'll sound a lot better when you read Noble's own words and the full story; the link is in the title.

This Week’s FFAs

Pidge’s FFA was a battle between 10 aspiring trainers. The winner of the FFA was Magikchicken with his Blaziken; he received a sum of 4,500 for defeating his 9 opponents in battle. Magikchicken’s Blaziken, the two are both “chickens”, has been in a total of 24 battles and has a total of 10 TM/HM moves and 5 BM/TM. This is quite an impressive amount for a BMG member.

Ataro’s FFA this week was between 13 people. Wrave won with his terrifying Feraligatr, way to not let the OUs win. :bounce: Wrave wins 6,500 for this battle and respect from the others for winning. And Neonsands came in a close second with his Bibarel.

The Forum FFA has been going on and is in its second turn. Now we all know that it seemed complicated, but luckily it became easier to understand once it started. During the first turn of this huge FFA, 7 trainers were knocked out of the running by having all 3 of their Pokémon being KO’ed. The list of theses trainers are in order of knock out. Eraizaa, Sec, The Laughing Man, We Taste Pies..., -Pichu Boy-, Banditos, and Monbrey. During the second turn, a further 5 more trainers where knocked out of the running they were Zeferin, HKim, TheEvilDookie, LegendaryMaster and GliscorMan. A further 2 trainers have been knocked out in turn 3 these are thunder410 and Acetrainer14, less people will be knocked out now as they have had more time to stat boost and there are less people to pile them. This FFA started with a total of 42 trainers all with 3 Pokémon meaning that there were 126 Pokémon out at the beginning - a massive task for Pidge to calculate. Now with all of these 14 trainers knocked out, 28 trainers are left in the Free For All massacre to see who dukes it out to the top.

Trading Section

Monbrey has temporarily lent his Staryu to Kai-Mei, now all of you who are going to be battling this trainer you should watch out as she now has this Staryu which is formidable with many TMs and MTs.

The Pokémon up for trade this week from Xali are primarily either fire types, ice types and a few normal types. To see what he has up for grabs, go to the Trading Machine now!

JokesterJesse is looking to trade away Vespiquen, Dustox, Cacturne, Bastiodon, Rampardos, Espeon, Ninjask, Mr. Mime, and Slowbro. He is mainly looking for some good offers, I'd recommend offering mainly story Pokémon for the story Pokémon.

Bumblebee16 has got quite a collection of Pokémon up for grabs over at the Pe2K Trading Machine. They are water Pokémon mainly, with a few normal and fire types spread in. Most of these Pokémon are of a good standard and are all great for experienced and inexperienced new players alike. He’s mainly looking for a Rotom but will also take other good offers.
There’s a few people looking for story deals and you can find them here. Synthesis is looking for a Electrike which is medium rank PM or VM him before you start. Khamjer also known as Lord osowatt is looking for a Rotom PM or VM him as well. Monbrey a big fan of story deals is looking for a Swinub and Abra Medium and Hard rank respectively contact him as well. I myself (Kanga) am looking for a Scyther please contact me by PM, VM and AIM.

Newest Members

Our newest members this week who have joined the URPG and have actually bothered to make stats are Faere Rainstar, Spirit, Nidorina, zettenexevy, Jasonwolf and Renewals. Let's welcome them and may they grow up to become Pokemon Champions! :sweatlol:

Featured Gym/Dojo Leader

We are lucky this week to be able to get a scoop on the fire dojo. What Pokémon the Fire Sensei Monbrey uses, some of his strategies, and even a bit of history about why he chose the fire dojo!

Q: So Monbrey, what is your favourite dojo Pokémon?
A: Well, Charizard is my favourite dojo Pokémon, and my favourite overall. One of the reasons that I like it so much is because of how it helps counter ground moves.

Q: Why was the reason that you chose the fire dojo?
A: Well, I have always liked fire Pokémon. I was thinking about challenging Katsuya, the previous leader, when I realised he was inactive. So I notified the League Organizer and Ataro opened the position for me.

Q: Can you disclose any of your strategies for our readers?
A: As for tactics, I can’t disclose too much but Charizard with Solarbeam from above is very powerful especially teamed with my already present Sunny Day in my rules or a Sunny Day set by move.

Q: It's very interesting that your choice as favourite is Charizard as everyone on the forums knows that you often use Infernape?
A: Well Infernape is a more useful Pokémon in battle I'll admit, but ever since I first got Pokémon Red, when I myself was probably about 10 years old co-incidentally, I've loved Charizard. Truth be told, I didn’t like Infernape at all until I started using it in the URPG from the recommendation of vets that uses fire types.

Q: One last question for you. Who are some of your favourite challengers?
A: Well that’s a tough question to answer. They have all been pretty good. I guess I'd have to give a special mention to Kaiser, who's had 11 attempts, showing a lot of improvement. I've had some really close battles against him, but he still hasn’t quite beaten me.

Featured Strategy Article

We have a guest segment this week from Ataro, who will be showing us some tips on how to use a Kangaskhan through an article, these tactics could even possibly help you defeat him in the future, you never know.

Spoiler:
Introduction

The first thing that you might ask when you see Kangaskhan: Why Kangaskhan? This Pokémon is easily outclassed by Miltank if you're looking for a Normal-type to use, who possesses similar stats, but has lower Attack and Special Defense in exchange for higher Defense and Speed. When using Kangaskhan, it is important to play with adequate prediction. Otherwise, you will find yourself fainting to Fighting-type moves.

To be blunt, Kangaskhan is a novelty Pokémon. It rarely works as anything but a gimmick. With lead Infernapes almost everywhere, it becomes even harder for Kangaskhan to survive—it is best played as a lead, and Infernape takes it down too easily.

Kangaskhan's Qualities

Kangaskhan possesses a solid 414 HP, with Defense and Special Defense tied at 259. Part of the gimmick revolves around Kangaskhan's ability.

With Early Bird, this Pokémon wakes up in half of the time, which enables you to deal with sleep-whores. Additionally, Kangaskhan can chip away at many Pokemon's health with its diverse offensive movepool. It can also fully restore itself when in danger of being KO'd, then keep chipping away at the foe. This is all while being pretty bulky and having technical moves like Yawn and Rock Tomb. Opponents tend to forget about Early Bird and try to set up on the sleeping turn, only to be taken aback when Kangaskhan wakes.

Scrappy is another of Kangaskhan’s abilities. It allows the user to hit Ghost-type Pokémon with Normal/Fighting attacks. As useful as one-turn Rest is, Scrappy will aid you in demolishing the Ghost-types. For example, Pokémon like Froslass and Spiritomb will take heavy damage from Focus Punch. You can also take advantage of your type to fire off STAB Returns or Double-Edges to dent your opponent's team. If you have Scrappy, there's no worrying about any Ghost-types switching in.

You should select your ability based on your opponent and your style of play. A common guideline: predict if your opponent would use any Ghost-types, then the type of match. Obviously, if you're fighting in a Ghost-type gym, it'd be common sense to lead with Scrappy. That is, unless you're willing to give up the ability to hit Ghost-types for Early Bird, which will make Hypnosis less painful. Basically, if you're in a small battle like a 3v3, it is recommended that you lead with Scrappy because chances are that you will not have enough time to use Rest. In a large battle like a 6v6, it really depends on personal battling style and immediate needs.

With Kangaskhan's bulk, most people forget about Kangaskhan's decent Attack. Boasting at 289 Attack, Kangaskhan can spring surprise KOs at your opponent if they underestimate you. Of course, that is also because Kangaskhan's moves have great diversity. From STAB Return and Double-Edge to get KOs that Return sometimes can't, to the Elemental Punches, there is almost nothing that this female kangeroo cannot do.

With a diversified offensive movepool, Kangaskhan is indeed a threat not to be underestimated. Aside from the aforementioned moves, it also has access to moves like Endeavor, Fake Out, Rock Tomb, and Counter. The last can effectively counter moves that won't OHKO, and KO the opponent instead. Kangaskhan's support movepool, however, is surprisingly small. The more significant options would include Roar, Wish, and Yawn. Safeguard is just situational. Toxic deserves a slight mention, since it allows you to prevent Pokemon from stalling you out. Icy Wind can be considered over Rock Tomb if you don't want to risk a Rock Tomb miss.

Playing with Kangaskhan

The best spot Kangaskhan plays is lead—that is, unless your opponent leads with an Infernape. Otherwise, she is able to force switches with moves like Roar or Rock Tomb. This is a case-by-case scenario, since prediction might aid you in forcing your threat to switch. Usually, though, it is considered treading on thin ice. Fake Out is self-explanatory—besides dealing damage and flinching your opponent, it enables you to scout for Leftovers, which can help you to determine damage calculations. Kangaskhan's preferred held would definitely be Leftovers. Although Focus Sash might seem tempting with Counter, chances are that the Focus Sash is there for Infernape's Close Combat, and Infernape might lead with Fake Out to break your held. Expert Belt and Life Orb might be possible helds for an offensive Kangaskhan, but don't expect it to do much—you shouldn't be using Kangaskhan if you're going offensive, unless you're utilizing the gimmick factor. Lastly, Lum Berry works, too. However, Kangaskhan doesn't worry about status that much (except burn), and Lefties recovery will be greatly missed.

In general, this is what Kangaskhan can do: Fake Out to deal damage, scout, or break Focus Sashes; force switches with Yawn/Roar/Rock Tomb; and struggle to manage some KOs. With Rock Tomb, Kangaskhan will be able outspeed the opponent to 2HKO. She’s an interesting Pokémon, but relies on prediction of your opponent and unpredictability of your moves.

Team Options

You will want to prepare yourself for Infernape. Infernape is the most common Pokemon out there to switch onto a Kangaskhan, and it appears on almost every 6v6 team. Kangaskhan's biggest downfall is its inability to learn Taunt or Stealth Rock. With this factor, it becomes almost redundant to use Kangaskhan over Miltank when the latter can do most things that Kangaskhan can, and better.

Not only will your lead be unable to use Stealth Rock—it is also unable to stop the opponent from using it. Thus, it becomes obvious that you might want to consider having a Pokémon that knows Rapid Spin (especially if you have multiple Pokémon weak to Stealth Rock on your team), as well as a Pokémon that can lay down Stealth Rock.

Counters

Besides Infernape, Machamp and Metagross and also pose problems for Kangaskhan, as well as some other bulky high-powered Pokemon. Burn status will cripple Kangaskhan badly because Kangaskhan has no means of healing (it other than Rest). Trick users also can greatly reduce Kangaskhan's effectiveness, since a Choiced Kangaskhan is as good as useless. Taking advantage of Kangaskhan's turn to Rest and single turn of sleeping can also help beat her.

Recommended Extra Moves
(daycare moves are underlined)

TM/HMs
Offensive: Brick Break, Counter, Double-Edge, Earthquake, Fire Punch, Focus Punch, Hammer Arm, Ice Punch, Return/Frustration, ThunderPunch
Support: Endeavor, Protect, Rest, Roar, Rock Tomb, Sleep Talk, Substitute, Wish, Yawn
Optional: Attract, Avalanche, Facade, Icy Wind, Low Kick, Safeguard

Author: Ataro
Editor: Scourge of Nemo
Date: Nov 17th, 2010

Pokémon/Trainer/Story of the Week

Our Weekly Pokémon/Trainer/story of this week is ...

Espeon! Espeon is one of the 7 Pokémon that Eevee can evolve into. In the URPG, for an Eevee to evolve into an Espeon, it takes 7 battles and a Spirit Stone which can be purchased from the PokeMart for $2,000. If you have this little critter in your stats, then you can post in the thread to claim $1,000 for owning a Pokémon of the Week.

Our Trainer of the Week is AceTrainer14! He has been battling hard in lots of battles of all kinds. Please bear in mind that I did not count basic battles in when I was looking for a trainer of the week. I want to congratulate you AceTrainer14 for being the Trainer of the Week, as this is the first URPG Times since a long long time. You can post in this thread to claim $1,500.

Our Story of the Week is not one of those that we have made a small preview of but one that I feel is worthy of being a good read and also graded this week of course. The name of the story is New Kid In Town, it is written by Synthesis. This story is mainly following the general game style of kid arrives meets May and goes on adventure. However, this story possesses a slight twist, May is more of a stuck up cow, this is actually a lot more interesting then I can even try to explain, and Brendan the male character is also a bit stuck up as well. What’s more different is that instead of following the new kid it actually follows the girl May instead. This moves it far enough away from the average adventure story and more original to make this a really good read. One of my favourite parts is where May says, good this will be an easy win and then finds out it’s not so easy to beat up the new kid in town. Now I have spoken enough about the story, I suggest that you go and read it yourself.

Coming Up Next Week

Next week, we will have another section covering who has won what gym badges or dojo belts.

Also, we will have a special segment on Pokémon Black and White within the URPG such as what Pokémon do we think will be in the PokeMart, and even on the highly anticipated Dream World abilities.

We will also try to have another piece of content on contests, why you should do them. Whos won what recently and great tactics for them.

Contributions

If you wish to see anything added to next week’s newspaper, please send either Kanga or Evanfardreamer on BMGF, or Trainer17 on Pe2k/BMGf, and we will review the idea and try to add it to next week.

We are also looking for some people to help us with the newspaper. If you think that you have what it takes to give us a hand then please fill in this form.
For example.
Name: Kanga
Aim: Kangaoncoke
What you can bring to the table: I can write guest segments,interview, edit.
An idea or something that you think you can improve on: Perhaps a Podcast to go with the paper.

Special thanks to our great team here at URPG Weekly. To Kanga, Evanfardreamer, Ataro and interview guest Monbrey.

Last edited by Ataro; 12-02-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:52 PM
JokesterJesse Offline
I l l u m i n a t i  P r i n c e

Send a message via AIM to JokesterJesse Send a message via MSN to JokesterJesse Send a message via Skype™ to JokesterJesse
Default Re: URPG Weekly 24/11/10 - 1/12/10

Claming 1k for having Espeon.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 AM
Dragoness Offline

Wow :) This is really good! Ya'll did a great job on this paper.

And grats to Ace, Syn, Noble, and Evan! :D

EDIT:

An idea or something that you think you can improve on: Perhaps do a featured ref/grader/judge of the week too.

Last edited by Dragoness; 12-01-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:20 AM
Eraizaa-kun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Eraizaa-kun

This is awesome! Congrants on finally getting this done. ^^

Oh, yes, I has an Espeon. Claiming $1,000.

I'll be looking forward to the next edition. = )
Old 12-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Fossil Fusion Offline
Ride On

Send a message via AIM to Fossil Fusion

Wow, so it's finally running now. Sweeeet. I'll claim 1k for my Espeon :)
Old 12-01-2010, 03:36 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-

I don't really know who you are, but you remembered the hyphens in my name, so you are instantly a great person ;D

This seems cool, I pity you if you're going to be writing all this up every week, though xD
Old 12-01-2010, 07:22 PM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

Good job!

Maybe divide up the workload so you don't get overwhelmed or if you're on vacation, someone else can fill in.

That's sort of what I do with the URPG. Ever URPG Mod and Official has a job and duty and they know enough to fill in for each other in someone's absent. Even in my case, should I vacation for a week, Ataro can fill in my shoes until I return.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

Wow, this reads exactly like one of the radio shows in the Pokemon games. Nice job! ^_^
Old 12-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Xalapeno Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Xalapeno Send a message via AIM to Xalapeno Send a message via Yahoo to Xalapeno

I'm claiming my 1K becuase I have the coolest Espeon ever!

I made Soviet Bidoof, Jokester Jesse made this kick@$$ banner.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 AM
kanga Offline

thanks everyone for all the comments, Eraizaa-kun what do you mean finally got this done, i thought of it and did it in 1 night :D. Fossil Fusion didnt know that someone else was thinking of it until i already started it. :D

Sorry Dragoness but i dont think we will be seeing that it would just be to dominated by a few refs/graders/and rangers ie monbrey/evan/chainy.

thanks again everyone should be a new one up by this wednesday coming. :D
Old 12-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Dragoness Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga View Post
thanks everyone for all the comments, Eraizaa-kun what do you mean finally got this done, i thought of it and did it in 1 night :D. Fossil Fusion didnt know that someone else was thinking of it until i already started it. :D

Sorry Dragoness but i dont think we will be seeing that it would just be to dominated by a few refs/graders/and rangers ie monbrey/evan/chainy.

If you picked randomly, with a system of say featured ref one week, then featured ranger, then featured grader and so on? You wouldn't be running the same people over 'n over as much. BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER xD

Anyway, awesome work :)
Old 12-04-2010, 06:00 AM
Elrond Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Elrond

This was quite good! ^_^

Claiming 1k for Espeon!

Quote:
SotaOMG (10:05:46 PM): i think stunky is sexy
iamnotyou11 (10:05:54 PM): Soda stop being gay
supermonkey07@cox.net (10:06:03 PM): ironic statement?
<URPG>
I can probably take some grading requests now. But don't all rush me at once. :/
Old 12-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

I read some of it; will read the rest when I have time. :)

Claiming mah 1K for owning Espeon. (Her name is Sandry. ^-^)

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 12-07-2010, 05:14 AM
Shen Offline
Paladin of Dragons

Send a message via AIM to Shen Send a message via MSN to Shen Send a message via Yahoo to Shen Send a message via Skype™ to Shen

Hm, this actually isn't bad at all, very nice job, kanga ^^. Also...

Lys (Espeon)

Ability: Synchronize (When Espeon becomes PSN, PRZ or BRN, so does Enemy Pokemon)
Battles : 14
TMs/HMs/BMs/MTs/SMs: TM 50 - Substitute, TM 72 - Shadow Ball, TM 91- Calm Mind
Obtained: Secret Santa 2007 Gift from Marth

$1k, please and thank you ^^
Old 12-07-2010, 05:21 AM
Scourge of Amaranth Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scourge of Amaranth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga View Post

Yeah, her idea could actually work. Instead of doing a "this person graded/reffed/rangered the most," you could ask whoever moderates the section to put forth someone who's done something interesting or admirable--reffed a large number of basics battles, come out of retirement, graded a really long story very well, written an amazing ranger response post, recently passed the test to become a new professional, et cetera.

EmBreon is the maple syrup to my slightly undercooked crepe
{URPG Stats}--{ASB Stats}--{Fanfiction}
khajmer = biffle
yoface = broham

thegalleonman: (8:37:28 PM) How sad.
thegalleonman: (8:37:37 PM) I'm amused.