Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:17 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: The Trial of Juno IV - Whispers of the Forgotten Angels [PG-13]

Recommended Listening:
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (The Original Score) - The Fallen

Chapter 4
The Soulless Army

Sita, Blazewing and I spent countless years continuing the work we started, lightly guiding those of the living who were in trouble, but taking special care to make sure we didn’t become too involved in their lives. Regardless, I enjoyed being a part of Sita’s work as a White Guardian of Utopia. For now, the Abyss and Utopia were on terms of ceasefire. Only if one became too involved with the affairs of the living would the other take it as a sign of aggression to get the living to follow them. So, our efforts were done with extreme care, and only very occasionally. It was clear a balance between light and darkness needed to exist, and the last thing we wanted was for another war to swing the scales into chaos.

And then came Kova… a name that if mentioned hundreds of years ago never would have meant anything… but today brings doom, fear, and anguish…

The dawn of Kova had come many centuries after our time upon the living planes. And when that dawn came, the lines were broken and the thresholds were shattered. In the centuries that had passed, technology on all of these planets had grown and had become highly advanced. Neither the Abyss nor Utopia thought anything of it, simply focused more on the balance of good and evil and making sure neither side intruded where they shouldn’t have. At first, it seemed like nothing but normal progression. Wars fought with new technology, weapons, and machines still didn’t change the overall pattern, but it wasn’t until Kova that the problem had surfaced…

In the beginning of this futuristic age of Kova, it started with fanatical machine-worshiping Pokémon literally tying themselves to the very technology they created, forever bound to the context of their radically advanced machines. Artificial intelligence had become drastically advanced, and weapons had become fiercer, more destructive, and deadlier as less guesswork and more lethality was involved. But even through all this, the Abyss and Utopia proceeded as normal, with the first accepting the wicked, and the later accepting the righteous. Inside, Sita, Blazewing, and I found all of this to be appalling, but it was clear we had no say in it. These undertakings were the work of the living, and Arceus allowed this so that these Pokémon carried their own destiny…

However, neither the Abyss nor Utopia knew of the kind of chaos these beginning ripples would soon escalate into…

Despite how gruesome the new technology had become, it was allowed to continue through the centuries. The high powers of Utopia and the Abyss knew that Pokémon needed to decide for themselves, and again, we had agreed not to interfere. Many of us had decided to not even watch, but Sita and I couldn’t help but feel the need to see what was truly happening to the worlds below, despite how much it disturbed us to think there were living Pokémon that allowed all this to happen. Our light whispers to the righteous Pokémon below were almost always ignored now, making us feel even more powerless over the situation. It was not hard to see that our old legends from many years ago were becoming myths, and then fables and folk tales. It was around that time of Kova that our legacies were soon considered to be lies…

And then, a being known as the Rectifier had surfaced. The faction that created this pure machine, given sentient life above and beyond artificial intelligence, was none other than Kova. It wasn’t long until this hulking, appallingly-intelligent, metallic colossus clad in black armor had claimed leadership over Kova, even at the consent of its half-organic, half-cybernetic creators. However, even with all this going on, Utopia and the Abyss were still not involved, even though Sita, Blazewing, and I were driven to extreme distress because of it. Even when young Pokémon were sealed inside machines with their bodies permanently tied to the inner mechanisms to serve as a host controller for the mechas they were piloting, we kept our distance, allowing these Pokémon to decide their own twisted destiny. As Pokémon were infused with countless implants and now literally bled yellow-tinted cyborg-based blood, we remained silent. Even when wars became struggles between the living and the machines, we agreed to only watch, giving only guidance in sleep that woefully went ignored. Even when Kova became an army that learned how to spread to other worlds, and the Rectifier and his Lieutenants seized control of the dormant technology of these other planets, the Abyss and Utopia stood by, never once arising from the ground or charging from the skies to change outcomes that according to Arceus, should not have concerned us…

Not surprisingly, the Rectifier wanted as much control over the living as possible, believing machines, despite the fact it was the living that gave them birth, were superior to them. However, it learned that the living were always capable of escaping his domination through death. Those that resisted against Kova escaped his clutches each and every time through passing onto the next life after being mortally wounded, and it drove the Rectifier to ceaseless anger, wanting control of not only their lives, but their souls as well. It already knew about the Abyss and Utopia, but it later learned of how the Abyss and Utopia were once involved in the wars of the living many years ago… the times that Landon and I had fought these wars. The Rectifier disregarded the names and the fact they were considered to be “lies.” It learned that once, the Abyss had been so foolish as to leave a passageway to link their realm to two of the worlds of the living to assume their dark campaign of control. I had severed the link to Egatept, but the link upon Kivistal was still there. All that attempted to stop the Rectifier’s intrusion was a few locks and a “keep out, no trespassing” sign on the front doors of the cathedral. Needless to say, the only thing that actually hindered the Rectifier’s progress was the fact the stairwell was too narrow for him. However, the massive tunneling machines they had taken with them easily made up for that…

Almost immediately, the forces of Utopia took careful watch, knowing that if the Abyss and Kova were to join hands, we would need to become involved. The exact opposite happened, however. The Rectifier and his metallic minions slaughtered the Abyss’s dark legions as well as Xov’s Lieutenants and their underlings. And it wasn’t long until we witnessed the battle where Xov fought the Rectifier. I remember fighting Xov in the events that never happened of the first life I lived, but I was never able to defeat him directly, only able to erase him through the Dawnbringer Star. At first, it seemed like the battle would never end. Xov repeatedly tried to erase the souls of machines that simply didn’t have them, while the Rectifier used his uncanny calculation ability to obtain an advantage in the battle. Xov learned that if he could find a way to destroy the Rectifier, his entire army would collapse. Xov, in his dark, shadowy form, descended upon Rectifier, and it was at that moment that everything had changed…

The Rectifier had grabbed and seized Xov’s Nexus deep within his shadowy form, the living, physical equivalent of his heart and mind. Xov’s Nexus, an ethereal sphere of spiritual energy that no living being could have ever come in contact with without being erased from existence, was suddenly absorbed into the Rectifier, and with it came all of Xov’s knowledge, as well as his ability to create realms beyond death. The Rectifier sneered at Xov’s defeat, leaving the once all-consuming wraith as nothing but a wrangled shadow that disappeared like a disintegrating blanket of black cloth.

The Rectifier and his mechanical minions left the Abyss, not caring about the woeful, angered, and chaotic state they left it in. At long last, it had the ability to force even the dying into his hands, and it wasted no time in doing this once it made Kivistal its homeland…

Aikana… the dream of the Rectifier… the new, machine-laden afterlife realm that would now rob both the Abyss and Utopia of the souls of the dead, was soon born. From what we learned, souls, regardless of whether they were good or evil, were stolen from our grasp and placed in Aikana. Here, they were always surrounded by machines. Pokémon that surrendered their souls in the living realm to become part machine were rewarded handsomely, allowed to become fully machine in Aikana, now part of the Rectifier’s elite. However, the living that attempted to resist the Rectifier and Kova were enslaved. Implants were dug and fastened into their souls, tormenting their bodies and minds with the maximum amount of pain and suffering while they toiled to only strengthen the image and glory of the one they loathed in life.

It marked the dawn of a truly dark age. Even without my power of divination, I knew something like this would result, but I was crushed every time I even thought about speaking about it to my celestial superiors…

Instead, it all resulted in many questions that needed to be answered. It was clear, neither the Abyss nor Utopia could allow this to keep going on, but it had become too large to deal with on our own. The Rectifier had been allowed to go very far with his campaign of technological nightmares, but only now had it become something that we needed to address before we were forced to be involved. However, all of us were not prepared to hear news that the only way we could have any chance of stopping this madness was for Utopia and the Abyss to actually consider an alliance.

It was the very first time in the history of all existence that Arceus of Utopia and Giratina, leader of the Abyss, had met in peaceful circumstances along with their closest followers in what was called the “Omega Assembly,” the first and last conference we were hoping would only need to be held once for all time. Here, we knew that Utopia and the Abyss would need to work together to find a way to put an end to the Rectifier, his Aikana, and the rest of Kova, or else both of our realms were at risk of being decimated. However, needless to say, it was predicted that any alliance between the Abyss and Utopia would be especially unstable. Even Sita, Blazewing, Landon, and I were called to this meeting, having been prime champions of Utopia at one time. While we didn’t like having to be in the same company of the Abyss’s darkest and most vile of champions, we knew they were hurt by this catastrophe even more than we were. For once, we had something to agree upon…

In the circular-shaped assembly arena made of ordinary gray stone representing pure neutrality, it was here that the forces of darkness and light would meet with the Abyss’s followers on one side, and Utopia’s followers on the other. Arceus stood proudly with his celestial, wolf-like form as the golden celestial rings surrounded his torso. He looked upon the Abyss’s highest-ranking followers as his white fur lightly blew around from the nether winds that surrounded us in this arcane dimensional meeting place. Meanwhile, Giratina stood even taller than Arceus, his pale-gray, six-legged body standing tall as his golden horned-head looked at Arceus without intimidation, as if he was sizing him up for combat. At the same time, his black, claw-shaped wings were always spread, casting a macabre shadow upon those below. In truth, the many centuries passing without us fighting managed to calm some of the enmities between us, but there were still plenty of Abyss and Utopia champions that gave each other dark glances of contempt…

The only mediator… was a still-living Alakazam named Nicon that was deemed to be the wisest Pokémon among all the planets. He volunteered to be the one vital neutral party in this discussion, needed because there was no telling what would need to be done to keep both sides under control. But even he seemed troubled by the undertaking that was going on…

“It is clear… we can’t remain enemies to each other in the face of this ‘Rectifier’ and his Kova faction.” Arceus began speaking as he represented all of Utopia as his darkly colored face remained thoughtful but strong, “We agreed to remain silent following the events of Egatept’s salvation, but this has become something we can no longer ignore.”

“Pity, the great and noble Arceus now seems desperate.” Giratina spoke in a cold and chilling voice, mocking Arceus with dark sarcasm, “I do hope you’ve at least told your loyal Utopian followers what will be required of them if they chose to fight these mechanical legions. Every last one of them will need to take physical form if they seek to put an end to Kova.”

“I am aware of this, Giratina.” Arceus replied as he looked a bit concerned in contemplative thought as he tried to avoid Giratina’s direct gaze, “It means any of our soldiers will need to accept the risk that they can be physically killed again.”

“Where they will soon find themselves in the Rectifier’s Aikana.” Giratina added for the whole assembly to hear as he gave Arceus a dirty look, “The consequences are dire if we fail. The Kova will graft countless implants and restraints into the bodies and minds of our brethren to toil and glamorize the Rectifier’s own image. You would do well to think I would not enjoy being driven to do that for all eternity.”

In truth, that was the greatest fear for all of us… both good and evil…

Old 10-25-2009, 08:22 AM
dark shuyin Offline

This is an interesting chapter. The whole robot idea has been used before but you gave it an interesting twist with your robot hell/heaven. One thing I didn't like was that Arceus represented Utopia. Arceus created all realms so it seems unfair for him to choose a side. Perhaps Crescelia would be a better choice. And why is the Rectifier able to create a realm with more power than Utopia or the Abyss? In other words, why can't they just steal the souls back?

(Sorry about being more negative than usual. I decided I should try constructive criticism rather than endless praise. I still love this fanfic. ToJ forever!
Old 10-25-2009, 01:03 PM
KantoChamp46 Offline
Elite Trainer

Nice chapter. Kinda slow, though it was short enough that it didn't matter, and it was necessary because you had to set up these events and taking several chapters to draw it out would have probably gotten boring, what with Juno and his friends unable to do anything but watch.

I agree somewhat with shuyin, though - why is Arceus the leader of Utopia? I didn't really have a problem with it until he said that, and thinking about it, that's a good question, I think. Unless, in your story, he didn't create all of the realms. I'm actually more confused about Giratina being the leader of the Abyss - I thought that was Xov (as in, not a Pokemon) and now that Xov was defeated, the Abyss was basically a confused mess with no leadership.

Yeah, the leadership of the realms is kind of confusing, to say the least. Still an interesting chapter, though. This battle against Kov's armies sounds like it'll be suitably epic for a follow-up to ToJ III. Looking forward to it!

98% of teens won't stand up for God. If you're one of the 2% who will, place this somewhere in your signature.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Actually, I had a really hard time trying to decide who would represent what, and I understand what you guys are saying. I wasn’t exactly satisfied with having Arceus the leader of Utopia, but since Arceus is technically the creator god of Pokémon and Utopia is a parallel of Heaven, it made the most sense, even if Arceus isn’t completely that. As for Giratina, I know he isn’t necessarily the most evil legendary out there, but I tried to work around that as much as possible. Originally, Utopia and the Abyss never had defined overseers, but in this scenario, it would seem odd not to have them given the new crisis at hand. And yes, even though Xov was a very powerful entity in the Abyss, he was not the leader. He may have helped create the Abyss, but allowed someone else to oversee its operations.

Originally, I thought of having non-Pokémon characters command them, but in the end, it just didn’t make sense for them to have connections to the afterlife realms of Pokémon. Another option was to make more Pokémon legends that would have command of these realms, but honestly, there’s so many legends already. And the last option was to try to use what legends there were already, and find the ones that could be the best fit (though I agree with you, and my choices were rather limited). Yeah, Darkrai against Crescelia might have been more fitting, but they’re not the most powerful Pokémon out there. Why would they be in command when there are other legends out there even more powerful than they are?

Either way, I’m going to stick with what I have and work with it the best way I can.

As for the Rectifier being able to seize souls and put them into Aikana before they can reach Utopia or the Abyss, that’s simply because the Rectifier has found a way to seize a soul before it manages to pass into the afterlife. Remember how Juno is slowly lifted up and brought up to a while light after dying? Just before a dead Pokémon reaches that light or darkness, they’re grabbed by the Rectifier’s created minions (think of a twisted version of Aikana cybernetic angels). I'll go more into that later, but it will make sense.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Daneb Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Daneb Send a message via MSN to Daneb

Interesting chapter that one. I agree with KantoChamp in that it was kind of slow, but understandably so.

I'm intrigued to see where you take this. Once again, great choice on background music. Really adds an undefinable effect.

/is jealous I can't write a story even half as good as this

Kingdra
Level 100: 349
Old 10-25-2009, 04:39 PM
KantoChamp46 Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Actually, I had a really hard time trying to decide who would represent what, and I understand what you guys are saying. I wasn’t exactly satisfied with having Arceus the leader of Utopia, but since Arceus is technically the creator god of Pokémon and Utopia is a parallel of Heaven, it made the most sense, even if Arceus isn’t completely that. As for Giratina, I know he isn’t necessarily the most evil legendary out there, but I tried to work around that as much as possible. Originally, Utopia and the Abyss never had defined overseers, but in this scenario, it would seem odd not to have them given the new crisis at hand. And yes, even though Xov was a very powerful entity in the Abyss, he was not the leader. He may have helped create the Abyss, but allowed someone else to oversee its operations.

Originally, I thought of having non-Pokémon characters command them, but in the end, it just didn’t make sense for them to have connections to the afterlife realms of Pokémon. Another option was to make more Pokémon legends that would have command of these realms, but honestly, there’s so many legends already. And the last option was to try to use what legends there were already, and find the ones that could be the best fit (though I agree with you, and my choices were rather limited). Yeah, Darkrai against Crescelia might have been more fitting, but they’re not the most powerful Pokémon out there. Why would they be in command when there are other legends out there even more powerful than they are?

Either way, I’m going to stick with what I have and work with it the best way I can.

As for the Rectifier being able to seize souls and put them into Aikana before they can reach Utopia or the Abyss, that’s simply because the Rectifier has found a way to seize a soul before it manages to pass into the afterlife. Remember how Juno is slowly lifted up and brought up to a while light after dying? Just before a dead Pokémon reaches that light or darkness, they’re grabbed by the Rectifier’s created minions (think of a twisted version of Aikana cybernetic angels). I'll go more into that later, but it will make sense.
Yeah I gotcha. It's not just about fitting - it's about power, too. Arceus and Giratina make more sense that way. And that thing about Xov makes sense. It still feels a little weird, but I'm sure as the story progresses it'll work out fine.

98% of teens won't stand up for God. If you're one of the 2% who will, place this somewhere in your signature.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

Awesome chapter. It looks like you're setting up a Holy Magic vs Machines battle, which sounds awesome. I haven't read too much Magic vs Tech, so this is going to be a new and interesting concept you're using for me.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Well, while I'm all for having more machines in the world, I find your approach to the Rectifier kinda strange. I assume he's an AI, in which case, it wouldn't make any sense to confine him to a single body. In my opinion, it'd be more realistic (and intelligent for the Rectifier) if the Rectifier wasn't just a mechanical version of the other kinds of powerful entities, but a more Skynet-esque being who has thousands of puppets under his command. After all, why should he limit himself to one form when he can have thousands?

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 10-28-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneb View Post
Interesting chapter that one. I agree with KantoChamp in that it was kind of slow, but understandably so.

I'm intrigued to see where you take this. Once again, great choice on background music. Really adds an undefinable effect.

/is jealous I can't write a story even half as good as this
Yeah, I know it may seem a little slow getting off the ground, but once it does and the fighting begins, I’ll make sure its worth the wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KantoChamp46 View Post
Yeah I gotcha. It's not just about fitting - it's about power, too. Arceus and Giratina make more sense that way. And that thing about Xov makes sense. It still feels a little weird, but I'm sure as the story progresses it'll work out fine.
Yeah, trust me on this, I’ve got plenty of ways to make things work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Celebi View Post
Awesome chapter. It looks like you're setting up a Holy Magic vs Machines battle, which sounds awesome. I haven't read too much Magic vs Tech, so this is going to be a new and interesting concept you're using for me.
Yeah, it will kind of be like that, but there will still be plenty of tech vs tech in there. It seemed like such a nice original idea, so I decided to go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Well, while I'm all for having more machines in the world, I find your approach to the Rectifier kinda strange. I assume he's an AI, in which case, it wouldn't make any sense to confine him to a single body. In my opinion, it'd be more realistic (and intelligent for the Rectifier) if the Rectifier wasn't just a mechanical version of the other kinds of powerful entities, but a more Skynet-esque being who has thousands of puppets under his command. After all, why should he limit himself to one form when he can have thousands?
Well, he does have thousands of puppets under his command. Some of them are purely robots, while many of the others are piloted by a Pokémon that’s been permanently interlaced within the machine itself, using the brain as the CPU of the unit. And there are others with powerful and highly advanced cybernetic implants, still following the Rectifier for his power and the promise of more technology that will enhance their lives and their growing source of power.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Chapter 5
Black And White

I knew I wanted to join the fight against Kova, but I also knew what the risk was, and how critical it was that this be approached carefully and strategically. Death in this newly living state for a follower of Utopia or the Abyss was no different from dying as one of the living. On the other hand, if we didn’t take physical form and instead used pure forms of light and darkness, they wouldn’t affect the many ranks of Kova’s machines because they didn’t have souls. Only purely physical weapons could deal the damage necessary, but thankfully, there was nothing stopping them from being strengthened using our own powers of light and darkness. However, we could only hope that would be enough…

Nicon the Alakazam was under a lot of pressure, but he remained focused. Using his sense of wisdom, logic, and intelligence, he tried the best he could to resolve the situation cordially between both sides, giving no benefit to either party regardless of what personal feelings were telling him to do. I knew… it must be incredibly hard for one Pokémon to show no bias like that under this kind of celestial pressure…

“Speaking on the behalf of all living Pokémon in the universe…” Nicon began to bridge the gaps between Utopia and the Abyss as he closed his eyes in thought and meditation, “I truly believe that if we are to survive collectively, an alliance should be without question. However, in order to retain the integrity of that vital alliance, no individual faction, not the living, Utopia, nor the Abyss, should place themselves higher than the other two. Nor should they take more credit for victories or blame for failures and defeats. In addition to all this, we should be prepared to look and appear as the living do, wearing their colors, their armor, and waving their flags. Followers of the Abyss and Utopia should appear to look like the living, so that a distinction that could lead to bias is minimized. Therefore, we will remain as one united force without questioning the motives of our allies.”

“How laughable,” Giratina spat at the Alakazam mediator. “We can agree to an alliance without all that daft nonsense. And I would like this council to know this ‘Living Alliance’ of living Pokémon is not by any means what I consider to be reliable. The Sons of Karaista are cowards with their heads in the sand, while the Titanium Brotherhood consists of haughty and misguided fools, and the rag-tag Razorwing Sentinels are so unorganized that it looks like they created their vehicles and machines right from their kitchen appliances. They were never a part of the equation when it comes to our intervention.”

“No…” Arceus debated, “Nicon is right. This war grows uglier every passing minute, and we need everyone’s support. If we keep sharing differences, the Rectifier will find a way to attack the Abyss and Utopia themselves after they have eliminated the living. And Giratina… the Rectifier already knows where the Abyss is.”

It was easy to see what would be a result of all this. If Kova killed the remaining living Pokémon and seized every last living soul, it was highly probable that they would go after the Abyss shortly after. In this case, Arceus did have leverage over Giratina, but he was willing to give it up for the benefit of all… even the Abyss. I could see in the eyes of Giratina’s dark battalions of champions… they knew there was pressure behind all of this…

As we stood as a part of this unusual council, I couldn’t help but reflect on all the things I had done and witnessed over the years. Were any of us truly ready to trust our once mortal enemies? For centuries, we had managed to maintain a ceasefire, but the histories and enmities still existed. Personally, I had led entire armies against the Abyss, and to align with them now would have gone against everything I would have ever believed in. Still, how could I say no at a time like this? If we returned to war against each other, we were doomed to fail. Chances were good… Kova would be relishing in another war between Utopia and the Abyss, and I wouldn’t put it past them to try and find a way for us to distrust each other enough to wage war yet again. Despite what had happened in the past, we would be surrendering victory to the Rectifier if we couldn’t at least lay down our fury against each other momentarily to deal with a threat that was far more potentially serious…

“Okay…” a black-furred Absol with a blood-soaked blade on her head spoke up. “But how the hell do we really plan on doing this? The only way to destroy Aikana is to actually head into there, and right now, the only way we know how to do that is through death. Meanwhile, we’ve never fought these machines before. How the hell do we kill something that can calculate every aspect of physics in the blink of an eye?”

“Well, they never fought us either,” Landon the half-dragon, half-Pikachu told her as he gripped his clawed fingers tightly around the shaft of his shining, deadly Spear of Tiamat. He flashed a bit of a smile as he looked upon the Absol with his red, draconic eye. “They’ve fought the living before, but don’t you think they’re in for their share of surprises when they fight us?”

“Collectively, we may be able to find another way into Aikana,” Nicon stated, focusing his thoughts. “Thankfully, in one way, the Rectifier was hasty in creating this realm with Xov’s power and didn’t have the wraith’s experience, though it may take time to locate exactly where this realm is. As for fighting the machines, it is true. We will all need to rely on using powers they will not be expecting. Kova warriors will use everything they can to recognize patterns in our attacks so that they can be prepared to counter them and always be one step ahead of us. They can calculate physical elements such as distance, velocity, momentum, and gravity, as well as emotional elements such as stress, hesitation, pressure, pain, and overconfidence, and use all of these findings and calculations to compute an offensive approach to their strategic advantage. Their tactics are continuously evolving at a rapid pace, and it will force us to have to be as unpredictable as possible.”

However, I knew this contradicted the whole meaning behind trying to appear as one. Using powers of Utopia would undoubtedly make us stand out against any of the living. And when the forces of the Abyss used their own infernal weapons and dark secrets, they too, would stand out. I could see the living beginning to feel like they were not needed, but the truth was we would need every possible soldier to give everything they could. Kova… still remained as a real threat.

“We can… and should wear the uniforms of these factions,” I told the rest of the assembly. “But we need to use as many of our powers in as many different unpredictable combinations as possible… possibly even as far as using our powers together. Never before has any enemy faced what could be unlocked from the Abyss and Utopia using power together as one. But, we need to show the living how to do this as well. We have to share what we know if they are to trust us and be able to use our weapons against Kova…”

They all looked at me while I closed my eyes in contemplative thought. Using what I learned from using divination, I knew that calculating machines could not prepare onsite-tactics that would enable them to counter all of our motions if we stayed together as one. Still, I wasn’t totally sure about using the power of chaos… something that would definitely result if the brilliance of light mixed with the shadow of darkness. I had seen what the power of chaos had done when light and dark mixed with the Dawnbringer Star, and I wasn’t enthusiastic on trying to make something like that happen again. But, I knew it would be something no machine would ever be prepared for. But… how could we be prepared for it, and to use it as a weapon that won’t backfire on us?

“Damned machines…” Giratana grumbled with a snide remark, looking away in frustration for a moment. “Fine, we’ll be a part of this alliance, but only because we need to. But, I want them to know we’re in their ranks. They’re not-”

“They won’t trust us if we’re not open with them.” Arceus finished it for him, “We will share resources. We will show them how to strengthen their weapons, technology, and resources using what we know. They will in turn help us destroy the Rectifier, Kova, and Aikana. And all of us… as a whole, should be willing to give up anything to see that this enemy is defeated. For I know that even those with black hearts have their own kind of hope, along with the rest of us.”

I doubted that anyone in that whole assembly could ever disagree with that…

“Share resources?” Giratana asked with a grimace, looking a bit annoyed at Arceus for the previous interruption, “You’re asking for a lot, Arceus… but as much as I despise the thought of us aiding these laughable resistance factions, any fool can see Kova has long forced our hands. I suppose we could lend the resistance… a little something, but when this war is done, I want none of them keeping our secrets. Whatever we lend, I want back when this idiocy concludes! Do you hear me!?”

“When its over…” Arceus agreed. “I will see to it personally that no living creature wields the power of the Abyss or Utopia for their own personal uses. Until that point, however, we must share everything, and not hesitate to provide and train them in whatever powers and potentials we can issue out to them. However, none of these powers should have any alluring impact on their minds.”

I knew… there were plenty of dark artifacts that the Abyss had to make even the most stalwart of noble soldiers succumb to evil intentions. And then same went for Utopia, knowing there were plenty of relics that were personally banned by Arceus that could force the wicked into doing good and virtuous deeds. Truthfully, I knew that all of those things would have to be removed, or we would be violating the code to avoid having influence on our living comrades…

In the end… the terms had been decided and agreed upon. The alliance would still be able to see who was a follower of the Abyss and who was a follower of Utopia, but they would see that we would be wearing their colors and their uniforms and would all collectively fight as one against Kova.

Currently, Kova had settled upon at least seven planets, three of them as “living” planets. Kivistal had been one of them. In the year 2589, I had seen how much technology had made the world different. The Earth and Egatept had changed massively as well, many of these planets being entirely ocean and urban area, many of them having both… underwater cities that stretched for as wide as the eye could see. And I saw many of these worlds relied on the resources of other planets originally devoid of life to help sustain them. Out of all of them, Kivistal’s technology was the strongest, having been the birthplace of this new Kova clan, but the fact that this spread from world to world over the many past centuries evened out the distribution and differences.

Once the Omega Assembly had ended, we all returned to our own respective realms to rally the troops and prepare for the war against the machines. Even though the living were under pressure, we still needed every last soul to be fully informed of what they were dealing with, and what would be required of them if we were to have any chance at overcoming this insidious enemy.

However… it would all be a nightmare none of us were prepared for…

Last edited by Neo Emolga; 03-22-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:41 AM
KantoChamp46 Offline
Elite Trainer

Wow. This'll be one heck of a war you're setting up here. So the Rectifier's on more than one planet? Does that mean they have to fight him on each planet, or only on Kivistal (or whichever planet has Aikana)? Pretty psyched to see what happens next, and see how this alliance works (or doesn't work lol).

Btw, you did a good job at writing Giratina's character and making him seem like a lord of the Abyss would, but for some reason, Arceus just sounded.... weak. To me. I don't know exactly why, but he just came across to me as uncertain, confused, and not a strong leader like I would expect him to be. It seemed like Juno and Landon were a lot more confident and more capable of leading. I don't know why. He just didn't strike me as the strong leader Arceus would be (and was in ToJ III). Just one slight nitpick. =P Good job so far.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:03 PM
dark shuyin Offline

I don't think Arceus was weak, but he seemed very passive and was outshone by Juno and Landon. By the way, does Arceus rememeber the alternate timeline?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Well, he does have thousands of puppets under his command. Some of them are purely robots, while many of the others are piloted by a Pokémon that’s been permanently interlaced within the machine itself, using the brain as the CPU of the unit. And there are others with powerful and highly advanced cybernetic implants, still following the Rectifier for his power and the promise of more technology that will enhance their lives and their growing source of power.
Yeah, I got that xP My point was that it would be more sensible (imo) for the Rectifier to actually become (some) of his puppets. Being an AI, he has that capability to directly control puppets instead of merely commanding them. Oh well, it's not that important anyways. Great chapter as well.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by KantoChamp46 View Post
Wow. This'll be one heck of a war you're setting up here. So the Rectifier's on more than one planet? Does that mean they have to fight him on each planet, or only on Kivistal (or whichever planet has Aikana)? Pretty psyched to see what happens next, and see how this alliance works (or doesn't work lol).

Btw, you did a good job at writing Giratina's character and making him seem like a lord of the Abyss would, but for some reason, Arceus just sounded.... weak. To me. I don't know exactly why, but he just came across to me as uncertain, confused, and not a strong leader like I would expect him to be. It seemed like Juno and Landon were a lot more confident and more capable of leading. I don't know why. He just didn't strike me as the strong leader Arceus would be (and was in ToJ III). Just one slight nitpick. =P Good job so far.
You'll see how the whole war escalates.

As far as Arceus... I wouldn't consider it weak, but wary. Remember, Utopia has never trusted the Abyss, and to suddenly find themselves needing to rely on allies that were once enemies makes it pretty hard to get used to. As for Juno and Landon... they know how to watch their backs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark shuyin View Post
I don't think Arceus was weak, but he seemed very passive and was outshone by Juno and Landon. By the way, does Arceus rememeber the alternate timeline?
Aware, yes. Willing to make it public, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Yeah, I got that xP My point was that it would be more sensible (imo) for the Rectifier to actually become (some) of his puppets. Being an AI, he has that capability to directly control puppets instead of merely commanding them. Oh well, it's not that important anyways. Great chapter as well.
Problem is if they beat the Rectifier that way, there won't be any challenge when they fight the actual Rectifier itself. That would be like training your enemy to be able to fight you. :P

But thanks anyway.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Chapter 6
Preparation & Intermingling

There were mixed feelings among the general populous of Utopia when news arrived that we were actually becoming allies with the Abyss. Arceus didn’t hold back any details, telling his celestial messengers to reveal everything to everyone regardless of the hysteria it might cause. Virtually everyone was in agreement that Kova and the Rectifier needed to be stopped at all costs, but at first, there were many Pokémon that rejected any idea of working alongside the legions of the Abyss. However, Arceus told them that for the duration of this war, they had to be trusted, or we would fall easily as divided factions.

I couldn’t blame my fellow comrades who didn’t like the whole idea of having to fight alongside our sworn enemies. Many of them felt the Abyss would be ready to stick the knife in our backs the second Kova was no longer a threat. And yet there were plenty of others that believed that would happen even before the Rectifier and his minions were defeated so that the Abyss could claim the glory and easily defeat a weakened and betrayed Utopia. I couldn’t help but feel I had the same feelings they did, knowing I was definitely going to watch my back when working alongside those that found sanctuary in that dark, macabre realm…

It was like this all over Utopia’s massive, white armories as we copied the design of the Living Alliance’s armor to prepare for combat. At this very moment, I was sure that the factions of the Living Alliance, the Sons of Karaista, the Titanium Brotherhood, and the Razorwing Sentinels were being informed that they would be getting reinforcements… but not the kind they were probably expecting. At the current state, all three factions had locations and territories on all three of the living planets that were involved. The struggle upon Egatept could go either way, with the alliance holding at least half the planet while Kova had a firm grip on the remainder. The Earth… as I had discovered, had most its humans die off ever since worldwide pollution, disease, and biological warfare killed many people and left the only survivors sterile. Most Pokémon were not affected, and when the sun set upon the human race, the Pokémon that once followed humans inherited their technology, and continued their legacy. Rumors exist that some humans may still be alive, but are forced to lived underground, barely surviving. Either way, its clear they would not be a factor in this war. The Earth now remained as a home base for the Living Alliance, but there was still plenty of Kova presence upon the planet. And Kivistal… would be the greatest challenge, being the very home of Kova. It was here that the Living Alliance was facing its worst struggles… barely able to keep a foot hold on the planet’s surface.

The forces of the Abyss and Utopia were being distributed among all three factions, all deployed on each of these three last reachable bastions in the galaxy. I had been assigned to be a squad captain for the Razorwing Sentinels stationed on Kivistal… the most dangerous position to be in. As I had been told, the Razorwing Sentinels were wild, rowdy, reckless, and impatient. Their vehicles were pieced together from junkyard hulks, their armor was very makeshift, and they carried whatever weapons they pleased or could find, never relying on a uniform weapon standard. Right now, it was my duty to form up a squad from Pokémon that were already assigned to join up with the Razorwing Sentinels. I had Sita and Blazewing that were more than happy to be a part of this squad, but Landon was his own team captain. That meant I still needed three other brave souls that would join with me to be a part of the Razorwing Sentinels on Kivistal… the riskiest deployment to be a part of. Still, before I got to choosing my squad members, a Jolteon informed of all the details regarding our deployment. After hearing the details, I was still unsure about this, but I knew it would be better to hope for the best and work around the inconveniences.

After getting the dull-gray and rugged suit of metallic armor for a Pikachu made to match that of the Razorwing Sentinels, I noticed that their armor was definitely much different from the era of the Silver Apex, looking far more futuristic, but still hastily designed, which was fitting for the way Giratina described this rag-tag faction. I also noticed that armor of the Sentinels bore the insignia of the faction, which was a silver silhouette of what looked like a Skarmory in mid-flight, clutching a high-tech rifle in one talon, and a sledgehammer in the other. Using my divination, I focused on my mind, and my hand began to glow with a strong, white aura as I ran my fingertips over the emblem. As I tried to uncover the mystery behind this insignia, it told me that the Skarmory resembled the power to fly and be free. The rifle resembled the soldiers of war that fought for the nation, while the hammer resembled the workers that kept the faction alive. To me, it sounded like the faction originally started off with much more discipline, but now, that was taken over by rascals and road warriors…

After, looking at the Razorwing Sentinel armor, I couldn’t help but think that after so many years, armor had undergone so many advancements and modifications, and now it was quite futuristic-looking. The only real difference between our versions of the Razorwing Sentinels armor was the fact ours was lighter and had two slits in the back for the Seraphim Wings, which were white-feathered angelic wings that were only bestowed upon Utopian warriors that bravely challenged the Abyss in their own underworld realm. However, at a time like this, any enlisted Pokémon that needed and could make use of these wings simply received them with no questions asked. It was clear, even ancient codes had to been rectified for this war. Arceus felt that anyone brave enough to fight Kova and risk losing themselves in Aikana deserved the Seraphim Wings. However, considering our enemies, it was doubtful most of Utopia’s forces would even use them during combat. Getting better vantage points and crossing over obstacles were probably some of the only things we were going to use them for.

“It’s easier for them to trust us than it is for us to trust them…” Landon told me distastefully as he carried a silvery suit of armor meant for an officer of the Titanium Brotherhood. “You won’t see Utopia performing the same dirty, back-handed deeds they do.”

“Mmm…” Blazewing muttered at Landon’s comment and she began putting on her armor, looking away with her eyelids down in aversion from the whole situation. “We should have done something about Kova before it got to this point.”

“Definitely…” I sighed, knowing sometimes I just didn’t understand Arceus sometimes. “Well, here we are. Only advice I can really give is to watch your back. If we lose, at least the Abyss will realize their mistake as Kova goes after them first. Of course by then, we’ll all be-”

“Let’s not finish that sentence.” Landon interrupted, beginning to look like some space-age cyber-dragon Pikachu with almost all of the Brotherhood armor pieces on him, “And is it just me, or are we already beginning to look more like machines?”

Couldn’t blame him there. “Neo Power Armor MKIII” was the standard issue for Titanium Brotherhood warriors, able to take a lot of punishment before it started breaking down. The Razorwing Sentinels didn’t have fancy armor like the Brotherhood, but I was alright with it. I knew the weapons Kova’s forces must have been using would be quite brutal, but thankfully the Brotherhood ensured this kind of armor gave the necessary amount of protection while allowing as much mobility as it could. Meanwhile, internal microchips allowed it so Brotherhood soldiers could survive in extreme temperatures, have access to night and thermal vision, and prevent friendly fire when combined with the Brotherhood weapons that had their own microchips in them. The Razorwing Sentinels had the same anti-friendly fire microchip, but not much else besides that. And I didn’t want to find out the hard way that the armor of the Sentinels wasn’t nearly as strong as Brotherhood armor…

“Hate to say it, but you really should read up on Kova’s robots.” A female Buizel replied to Landon, looking at him from the corner of her eye, “These definitely aren’t those ugly demons and smelly zombies you’re probably used to chopping into little bits. Their complex programming makes it possible to have incredibly excellent aim, so good luck trying to dodge those shots. They know when you’re going to try and do that, so they make sure you lean into the blow instead. Its… rather embarrassing to tell the truth.”

“And you are…?” Landon asked, wondering who this female Buizel was.

“Rysha,” She smiled, checking out the metallic helmet she was expected to wear. “But my friends call me ‘Speedy.’ Man, do I miss the good old days. When did some binary code outmatch good old-fashioned skill?”

Truthfully, I had only seen a small sample of how these machines fight from the many years of surveillance that Sita and I spent watching these worlds. However, I strongly believed that no machine could read their adversary like a book before the battle even began, regardless of the programming. Every fighter had a different style, a different mastery of their skills, and a different approach, even if they used the same weapons. However, the more I heard about Kova, the more it seemed like their tactics sacrificed all traces of honor and fair fighting simply for the goal of winning, and showed no pity or compassion for those who were defeated. But then again, it was easy to remember that machines didn’t have souls…

“I’m Sita.” My wife spoke serenely to Rysha, giving the sassy Buizel a friendly handshake, “The other Pikachu is my husband, Juno, the Latias is named Blazewing, and the dragon Pikachu is-”

“Landon.” Rysha replied, nodding as she already knew, “Yeah, you guys know what I’m talking about when I mean the good old days. I don’t know which of those clowns decided some walking toaster should rule the universe, but I’d like to whack them in the back of the head for thinking that. Really, when we’re done with Kova, I say we make sure nothing so much as a cotton candy machine exists afterward.”

I could tell, Rysha wasn’t crazy about wearing this kind of armor. From what I could see, she had the same armor as I did, made for the Razorwing Sentinels. She kept looking at the already fastened armor pieces on her body with a look of distaste, feeling like she was starting to look like one of the robots herself. But for someone who raged against machines, she sure seemed to know quite a lot about them…

… and I could only wonder if that was from tearing them apart…

“Let me guess.” Blazewing told her, thinking the whole situation out, “Standard weapons won’t do anything against those giant hulks, will they?”

“I’ll need to get back to you if laughing at metal swords not even scratching their advanced alloy armor was programmed into their AI.” Rysha replied, locking a silver-plated shoulder armor piece into position, “Otherwise, no.”

Landon somberly looked over to his shining Spear of Tiamat, not very enthusiastic to hear that his prized weapon might not have any effect on the legions of Kova. Against the living and the undead, the Spear of Tiamat was an unbelievably strong and potent weapon, and anyone who ever met Landon knew he could wield it with extreme cunning and finesse. Learning that he might have to switch it for something else was going to dishearten him quite a bit. Meanwhile, my situation was not much better. While I had used firearms before, I was far more at ease using swords and blades. I had picked up one of the Titanium Brotherhood’s assault rifles, and it definitely felt strange and foreign in design. How weapons got to be like this, I wouldn’t ever know. But, if these were a few of the only things that could help bring down Kova’s metallic nightmares, I needed to become familiar and skilled with it very soon…

“I can’t do this.” Landon told us as he shook his head in doubt, setting aside one of the armor pieces, “I’ve never had to wear armor before, and just looking at this… I know its not me.”

“You don’t need the helmet.” Rysha told him frankly, “Even if you’re in the Brotherhood. The visor doesn’t do squat to protect against the heavy metal slugs they pack in those guns, so don’t bother. All it does is cover the back of your head, and if you’ve got at least half a wit, you’ll be able to prevent yourself from getting hit there.”

I was sure Landon meant the entire suit of armor, though. But frankly, I didn’t like the way my own helmet came out, and Rysha’s advice told me I’d probably be better off not wearing it. Blazewing was able to get hers on, but it made it look like she was ready more for exploring outer space than engaging in combat. And even though she had only just met Rysha, she was ready to believe that. She didn’t take long in taking the helmet off, shaking her head a bit to remove the effect of the stuffiness that had been put upon her.

“Good to know…” Blazewing muttered, “I was afraid of losing you guys even though you could be right next to me.”

The irony alone was enough to give me the encouragement to add my helmet to the “to be recycled” pile…

Last edited by Neo Emolga; 03-22-2010 at 01:16 AM.