Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » Pokemon News

Pokemon News Here you will find the Pokemon news that is on the website, posted here also so you can reply with any comments/questions.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:38 AM
Ken Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Re: Author: Pokemon Changed My Son’s Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonElite2000 View Post

Po Bronson, author of the book “NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children” and a Newsweek blogger, has posted an essay about how Pokemon has helped his son’s math and reading. They were reluctant to allow their son to have any Pokemon cards in the beginning, but soon saw the benefits of Pokemon:
That following school year, in his first-grade class, Pokémon became social currency. About half his class was entranced by the cards. At times it seemed ridiculous, but then I’d hear my son plop down two cards and talk out more complicated math problems than anything he saw at school: “160HP minus 110HP plus 30 resistance points minus 20 weakness points equals 60 points left,” he’d say, then plop down two more cards to solve.

I didn’t know then what I know now: Through this repetition, his brain was transforming. Heavily used neurons were learning to fire together, and these chains of neurons were becoming myelinated in thin sheaths of fat; by this process, “gray matter” is converted into “white matter.” The sheath surrounding the nerves acts as an electrical insulator, increasing neural speed by 100-fold. Active repetition also began tuning up the nerve capsules that connected his prefrontal cortex to his parietal cortex in the back of the brain. When these superhighways of nerve tissue come on board, the brain learns to delegate math to the back of the brain, making computation speed radically faster.

While we weren’t aware of the neuroscience, it was plainly obvious: Pokémon cards were making our son’s brain really fast at elementary-school math. I began to buy him cards. Lots of cards.

The second half of first grade, our son started reading the fine-print paragraphs on the cards. He got more reading time in through his love of Pokémon than he ever did at night, when we handed him books. He did read the books out loud to us, but it was a necessary chore. Pokémon was never a chore. And I noticed the paragraphs on the cards were syntactically far more complicated than anything he read in books. Soon, the same brain transformation that drove his math speed was reproduced with his reading speed.

Pokémon had taken over his brain. But in ways my wife never expected. Early in second grade, his math teacher told us he was as fast at math as the fifth graders. Not bad for a kid turned away by most of the local private schools prior to kindergarten.

Po Bronson has another follow-up posting here as well: Marshmallow Boy vs. The Pokemon Kid – The Neuroscience of Children’s Passions

More...
oh wow. this rocks.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:24 AM
Nomis Offline
Experienced Trainer

Nice, it reminds me of myself a bit haha

Old 12-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Darkria Offline
Elite Trainer

My friend Jiajia is 11 years old.
He's been obsessed with Pokemon since it came out.
Now he's the smartest kid in his class.
Funny how these things happen.
"Ah, Rassilon," Romana said somewhat loudly. "He was one of the forerunners of Time Lord society. He helped develop time travel, and invented a few other staples of technology. In return, we named far too many things after him, and use his name for profanity. Remind me to teach you some Galllifreyan curse words some time, by the way. It's the least I can do to continue the grand old heritage."

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:37 AM
gemini spark Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assaundrell Yumerai View Post
Ah, the benefits of Pokemon(^^)
Pokemon is not all about toys and games, it also strategy.
yah

its need strategy alot
i needed a strategy to catch giratina
i need a strategy to beat my cousin