Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:43 AM
SPPF_Max Offline
Banned

Default Directions of The Earth's Revolution As It Rotates From Different Prospectives?

You guys may have learned that the Earth rotates around on its axis every day, takes 1 sidereal day to go all the way around once while revolving around the sun so that it would take approximately an extra 3 minutes and 56 seconds for it to complete a solar day or an extra 3 minutes and 55.1 seconds to complete a solar day according to the defined mean sidereal day we have it as 23 hours 56 minutes and approximately 4.1 seconds.

You may have noticed if you've ever experienced playing with a globe before and shining some light on it when it was dark in one room of a building or put a hand above the globe that you've experienced the sun rising, becoming directly overhead, and setting in different places, and places where it's directly midnight opposite from time zones and places where it's noon.

Other than that, you may cross the North Pole in future and then find out you are traveling South no matter which way you're going but it is hard to tell and Magnetic North is at a certain position near the actual North Pole which isn't the same as that. What I'm creating this thread for discussion is about at this time of year for the Fall, the Earth appears to be traveling West during the day, North when the sun is setting, East during night, and South when the sun is rising according to our compasses and sense of direction here on the Earth and our Earth's magnetic field probably.

Don't know how much that has to do with this although I'm a little confused about the whole thing and I was just questioning this in my head when I was looking into this playing with my Electronic Smart Globe as a tool to get this stuff drilled into my head.

For other times of years like Spring for example, it's the exact opposite as the Earth is moving on the exact opposite side of the sun than it is from when it's Fall, so it'd seem like the Earth was actually moving East in its orbit around the sun during the day, South when the sun is setting, West at night, and North when the sun is rising while for Summer and Winter, they seem to be flipped depending on the time of day it is and the Hemisphere you live in or the side of it and how many degrees longitude you are, well it may be undefined. But the full Earth itself would seem to be traveling South in Summer and North in the Winter meaning it goes vertical and for Spring and Fall it'd be horizontal while the whole Earth now would seem like it'd be traveling East and in Spring, it'd look like it'd be traveling West while it'll seem different depending on where you live, the time zone, and what time of the day it is which would pretty much all sum up to it.

I don't know if it's true or not of the theory there could be actual directions in space because any time you go to the poles on the planet, you seem to always be going in the opposite direction even though you never changed the direction. What do you think of this? Whatever your opinion may be, feel free to share. Make sure they'll come clear to me some day when I look into more Astronomy and astronomical facts next Spring or next Summer or in the future. Discuss.

Edit: Woops! I spelled the wrong "poles." "Polls" instead of "poles."

DOUBLE EDIT: Just so you know, I changed the title of the thread for instance so you guys won't be confused on the whole topic title itself and you might want to reread the whole first post for those of you who read it under the old title "Your Opinions On the Way The Earth Rotates Around the Sun As It Spins" because it's not like I was asking for an opinion of an opinion. Just your opinion on the way it'd look from your prospectives. And I set the edit in my first post so other posts have a better chance of being more on the subject then just on this particular topic.

Last edited by SPPF_Max; 10-10-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Double Edit; Edited Name of Thread
Old 10-09-2009, 03:47 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: Your Opinions on the Way You Think the Earth Rotates Around the Sun As It Spins

The cardinal directions are by definition, relative to the Earth. So the Earth can't move North, South, East, or West. If it moves, the directions move with it.

... as for the rest of what you are saying, maybe it's just because it's late, but I have no idea what your question is. I'll have to reread it later...

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 10-09-2009, 03:53 AM
SPPF_Max Offline
Banned

Default Re: Your Opinions on the Way You Think the Earth Rotates Around the Sun As It Spins

Maybe because when I looked on the globe it seems like while one part of the Earth may go one way, the exact opposites of the Earth would go the other way while the sides of the Earth that are turning may seem to be traveling vertically as the Earth is revolving around the sun. It's basically what this question asks and I don't really know if this can be a theory or a hypothesis. I haven't read into this this far yet. Nor I wouldn't know how the compasses would point if we weren't going in any cardinal direction on the Earth, but in space.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:02 AM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to -Holland- Send a message via MSN to -Holland- Send a message via Yahoo to -Holland-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
The cardinal directions are by definition, relative to the Earth. So the Earth can't move North, South, East, or West. If it moves, the directions move with it.
Pretty much.

I remember I did a problem in Pre-Cal where we had to find out how far a certain point on a hypothetical planet would travel as the planet rotates whilst traveling around its sun and blah, blah, blah. The hard part was that we had to calculate this distance with the tilt of the planet in mind, and we also had an extra credit part where we had to find the distance that the point was in the light. Point is, Earth is just like that, and light hits it differently during certain times of the year because the tilt of the Earth (with respect to the poles) doesn't change as the Earth rotates and revolves around the sun. This is precisely why we have four seasons, as opposed to just two: summer and winter are the two extremes, and spring and autumn are the intermediates.

Forgive me if I'm just feeding you information you already know. I just couldn't really derive an actual inquiry from anything you said up there.

My Battle Log
Old 10-09-2009, 04:04 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

... the cardinal directions exist relative to the Earth, therefore everything on Earth has the same cardinal directions, regardless of where you are on it.

Also, compasses wouldn't work in space, because you're not on Earth (well, they would point to the most powerful magnet, but that's not what you're asking). East, South, North, West don't exist in space.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 10-09-2009, 04:24 AM
SPPF_Max Offline
Banned

Quote:
... the cardinal directions exist relative to the Earth, therefore everything on Earth has the same cardinal directions, regardless of where you are on it.

Also, compasses wouldn't work in space, because you're not on Earth (well, they would point to the most powerful magnet, but that's not what you're asking). East, South, North, West don't exist in space.
I perfectly understand fine that the reasons they wouldn't work in space is because there isn't a North Pole. You'd have to be on a Planet and North always points up to go into the direction from the North Pole. South points away from the North Pole while pointing to the South Pole and it'd point East and West depending on which other way horizontal you're facing. Basically the way how a compass works and points in directions other than North and South and it is always basically true that the North Star is always located farthest North up in the Earth and North in the sky, although I'm not really sure if that's the type of star you can see in the sky all year round. I'll have to check and it's been a while since I've taken interest into this.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:29 AM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

How can a flat surface rotate? I don't quite understand what's being asked here...
Old 10-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarago View Post
Pretty much.

I remember I did a problem in Pre-Cal where we had to find out how far a certain point on a hypothetical planet would travel as the planet rotates whilst traveling around its sun and blah, blah, blah. The hard part was that we had to calculate this distance with the tilt of the planet in mind, and we also had an extra credit part where we had to find the distance that the point was in the light. Point is, Earth is just like that, and light hits it differently during certain times of the year because the tilt of the Earth (with respect to the poles) doesn't change as the Earth rotates and revolves around the sun. This is precisely why we have four seasons, as opposed to just two: summer and winter are the two extremes, and spring and autumn are the intermediates.

Forgive me if I'm just feeding you information you already know. I just couldn't really derive an actual inquiry from anything you said up there.
And also how the southern hemisphere experiences seasons at different times from the northern hemisphere.

From what I see, it explains everything asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post
How can a flat surface rotate? I don't quite understand what's being asked here...
Flat surface? What flat surface? :O

Oh, and the Earth slows its rotation due to this.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post
Flat surface? What flat surface? :O
You know, the earth? I think it's funny how everyone here seems to think that the earth revolves around the sun.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:06 PM
SPPF_Max Offline
Banned

Quote:
You know, the earth? I think it's funny how everyone here seems to think that the earth revolves around the sun.
Because the Earth does revolve around the sun while the moon revolves around the Earth. It's just the cardinal directions on the Earth that seem to go in many 4 different directions at different times of the day at different times of the year as the Earth has to face a certain way depending on that time of year to be facing the sun and for it to be day or night. If the Earth just hopped to the other side of the sun during the day and didn't turn around, it'd automatically be night where we're standing and then it'll seem like everything else is going the opposite direction while the opposite side of Earth seems to be going the opposite opposite direction, the same direction where this one side of Earth may have seem to have been heading while the Earth was orbitting, but that could be just my guess. But if it did jump to the other side of the sun and then spun, or turned around, it'd still be day in areas where it was daytime and night in areas where it was nighttime. Nothing would've changed in the time of day except for what side of the sun it was on. Frankly, that's impossible as gravity won't allow it to do that but it can get to the other side of the sun in 6 more months and then let's see what happens. Without turning around or facing the same stars, those are just the sidereal days but the solar day gets timed for how long it takes to face the sun one day after another.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

Quote:
Lol'd.

I'm confused about the thread name. Shouldn't it be 'What are Your Opinions on the Way the Earth Rotates Around the Sun as it Spins' and not 'Your Opinions on the Way You Think the Earth Rotates Around the Sun As It Spins' because that's asking for your opinion on your opinion, which is just silly!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

At any rate, I still fail to see any question that the first poster asked...

Art Gallery
Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 PM
SPPF_Max Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombi View Post
Lol'd.

I'm confused about the thread name. Shouldn't it be 'What are Your Opinions on the Way the Earth Rotates Around the Sun as it Spins' and not 'Your Opinions on the Way You Think the Earth Rotates Around the Sun As It Spins' because that's asking for your opinion on your opinion, which is just silly!
No I mean that what direction do you think each part of the Earth would be revolving in around the sun as it rotates around on its axis all day and all year long. I mean directions as in North, East, West, or South and what it seems like from different people's prospectives of what direction that could be. I tried to put that in there but I didn't know what to name the thread title and I suck at giving names to threads. Just check out one of those other threads I made before this one, as in German Differences Between Characters and F, W, and V and you'll see what I mean about me not knowing how to title things properly to get the best response. But if this were a chat room it wouldn't need a title and everyone else would just go with it but I don't spenda lot of time pondering about a title to put for a topic. I just find the right section, create a title for the thread as the topic for me being an amateur Topic Name Starter and then start off with basically what you think. Everyone IS AT LEAST entitled to share their own opinions since there's nothing wrong with that but we'll see how well these discussions go.

If I were on Mars for example, I'd wonder what my prospective of the Earth would be like. The directions on the Earth compared to the undefined directions in space as you could only continue going up, falling down, or moving horizontally. It just seems that way when you're looking at the Earth or experiencing the Earth rotating on its axis and revolving around the sun but you don't actually notice these things, nor do you have your prospective of it, for when you're on the Earth so it can be that confusing to tell on whose side of the Earth it moves East or West because the Earth has to go in all 4 directions for both the days and the years. It rotates one way to complete the days and revolves one way to complete the years and that seems like it goes in all 4 of those directions from an astronomer's view and up to his prospective.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPF_Max View Post
If I were on Mars for example, I'd wonder what my prospective of the Earth would be like. The directions on the Earth compared to the undefined directions in space as you could only continue going up, falling down, or moving horizontally. It just seems that way when you're looking at the Earth or experiencing the Earth rotating on its axis and revolving around the sun but you don't actually notice these things, nor do you have your prospective of it, for when you're on the Earth so it can be that confusing to tell on whose side of the Earth it moves East or West because the Earth has to go in all 4 directions for both the days and the years. It rotates one way to complete the days and revolves one way to complete the years and that seems like it goes in all 4 of those directions from an astronomer's view and up to his prospective.
Still makes no sense... East and West exist relative to the surface of the Earth. They cannot possibly extend out into space, because they exist ONLY on the Earth's surface.

Art Gallery
Old 10-10-2009, 12:45 AM
SPPF_Max Offline
Banned

Quote:
Still makes no sense... East and West exist relative to the surface of the Earth. They cannot possibly extend out into space, because they exist ONLY on the Earth's surface.
But apparently, there's East and West on other planets. If you were in space, you couldn't possibly be going in any direction, but once you step on a planet again any directions you're going would be relative to the direction of either the North Pole is or where the North Star is located at since it's always in the same direction although it may be from a different prospective per say if you were to be on Neptune other than the Earth and since because those planets may be in different positions around the sun, you could be facing West on the Earth, and then travel to Neptune and then stand on it and then be facing North from the same prospective, meaning you'll have to look at everything else from a different angle.

And I agree with you saying or believing that directions don't exist in space, which is why I said they were undefined if you read that little bit into my last post before I had gone and edited the first and "undefined" really means "undetermined" or "unfound." You're not going in a direction at all. It's like taking a number and trying to divide by 0 to get a solution to the problem that you think it may be 0 or another may think it may be infinity in which wouldn't work out the other way around and you are going in the cardinal directions when you're in a plane or in a rocket ship when you're still inside the Earth's atmosphere, but once you leave it, you could be going in any direction as the way people might see you from the Earth if they can but only one side of it can. It's just as if you were to travel to the moon, only 1 side of Earth can see the moon while on the other side, it's disappears and is no longer visible but no one could actually see you travel to the moon. For me I could be going East to it, flying in the direction of East and once I get to the moon without altering the course of direction, I could be going North on it so North would look different than East but if I was really trying to find the North Star, I'd have to look into the North Direction from the people on the Earth's prospective or viewpoint. Meaning as in I have to see and view it their way instead of the old fashion direction of North as a compass says so.

Does that make sense enough that I'm being clear on the fact that I agree that you're saying directions don't exist in space and that you'd have to be on a planet again to perceive directions of North, East, West, or South again? Like I said, in space they're undefined because you're way outside the magnetic fields, wherever they are located on the Planets. I heard Earth only has 1 or 2 but I'll have to research that up. Lucky me!
Closed Thread