Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:18 PM
5TailedDemonLizard Offline

Default Dragons...Real or Fiction?

So, I've been thinking. Do dragons really exist? This is what I want to discuss with you.

At one time or other, I believe that dragons did really exist. Due to scientists thinking that some dinosaur evolved into today's birds, it sparked the idea in my head. What did they look like in the middle of evolution? Well, they may not be the huge leather winged drakes we think of, but they're close!!

What do you think? Do you believe or not?

GCeA Blue|GCeA Silver

"Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

^Please click my eggs^

Click here for my other links!

Old 10-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: Dragons...Real or Fiction?

Well, Komodo dragons are real, so technically, they are.

As far as the giant winged drakes that breathe fire go, hate to break it to you, but they're not real. At least not on Earth anyway. Whether they exist on another planet far out there, I won't argue with that. For all we know, anything could be out there.

The only thing about dinosaurs evolving into birds that throws me off is the size proportion. Why would giant T-Rexes become tiny little robins and sparrows if their niche in prehistoric wildlife had already been defined? I know, I'm not a biology major, but to me that never made sense.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
The only thing about dinosaurs evolving into birds that throws me off is the size proportion. Why would giant T-Rexes become tiny little robins and sparrows if their niche in prehistoric wildlife had already been defined? I know, I'm not a biology major, but to me that never made sense.
Genetics are finicky things. The same gene can produce drastic changes in morphology depending on the environmental aspects it is subjected to. That's the reason why we look so different from a chimp when our genetic makeup are 94% identical.

Of course, birds such as Ostrich and Emu (especially the Emu) are about the size of a raptor. It shouldn't be a surprise that those two would have some relations with regards to size. In fact, current biology states that birds come from the smaller dinosaurs rather than the larger ones genetically speaking. Tiny sparrows can come from larger birds with minor changes in genetic makeup.

Habitat changes. It's a fact of life. Just because an animal has found a niche does not mean that the niche itself doesn't change either. Prolonged adaption to changes in habitat will cause the same species of animals to develop differently as well. Perhaps the niche favours smaller birds because there are larger predators around, meaning that on the whole of the population, the larger birds are hunted an eaten, while the smaller birds thrive until the population is unlikely to be affected by the predator anymore. That is only an example of how things can work, and the details are much more complicated, though.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:51 PM
White_Rabbit Offline

Send a message via AIM to White_Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstres Meg View Post
So, I've been thinking. Do dragons really exist? This is what I want to discuss with you.

At one time or other, I believe that dragons did really exist. Due to scientists thinking that some dinosaur evolved into today's birds, it sparked the idea in my head. What did they look like in the middle of evolution? Well, they may not be the huge leather winged drakes we think of, but they're close!!

What do you think? Do you believe or not?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybcmYcQN5U

nuff said
Old 10-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Iceraver101 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Rabbit View Post
Lol I actually saw that on the discovery channel once. It was actually very interesting. It proves that dragons could have existed. But honestly no one actually knows.

get your own starcraft 2 signature at sc2sig.com
Old 10-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Dragoness Offline

I believe they could have existed--maybe not magical creatures that horded gold and could talk, but a beast that could have had wings, a long, scaled body and generally resembled a "dragon" in its bone structure, very well could have existed.

As to whether the animals did breath fire...well, some try to say the creatures could have made gases that were very flammable and thus gave way to the notion of a dragon swooping over head with flames coming out of its snout.

Oh and yes, what Neo said about the Komodo Dragon--we do have a sort-of "dragon" in existence when you think of it, lol.

Btw, I did see that Discovery documentary. 'Twas interesting.

Sources:

Opinion
The Discovery channel's program on dragons
http://animal.discovery.com/converge...ration_03.html --Animal Planet's take on dragons
Old 10-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Fiction, plain and simple.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Psychedelic Shroomish Offline

Send a message via AIM to Psychedelic Shroomish

Dragons are real!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Sequentio Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sequentio

Quote:
I believe they could have existed--maybe not magical creatures that horded gold and could talk, but a beast that could have had wings, a long, scaled body and generally resembled a "dragon" in its bone structure, very well could have existed.
So... a dinosaur? xD

I do not believe dragons ever existed, although that highly depends on the definition you give to dragon and when. Obviously, there were no dragons in the Middle Ages. There were however, flying lizards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draco_volans

Although it can't technically "fly", it can glide. (Like the squirrels?)
Old 10-06-2009, 11:34 PM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to -Holland- Send a message via MSN to -Holland- Send a message via Yahoo to -Holland-

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Rabbit View Post
That's fake. It's really well made, but there's no way a carcass can be preserved like that, and simply stating that a "dragon skeleton" was found isn't enough scientific evidence to at least justify a theory.

I'd say there was never an animal that breathed fire, but perhaps some dinosaurs that at least resembled the prototype we have of a "dragon." It's very possible that storytellers long past decided to exaggerate details in order to convey certain central ideas. I mean, Beowulf was of superhuman strength simply because that fact reinforced how conceited his character was. Perhaps the characteristics of a dragon were conceived to make them intimidating. Unlike villains of many stories, dragons had no "human" vulnerabilities or mentalities to them - they are incorporated simply to instill the notion of intimidation. Even Grendel, for example, bore these burdens, as he merely sought revenge on the human race for his condemned ancestry. Dragons, on the other hand, are archetypal in that they connote fear and danger.

My Battle Log
Old 10-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Sequentio Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sequentio

Quote:
That's fake. It's really well made, but there's no way a carcass can be preserved like that, and simply stating that a "dragon skeleton" was found isn't enough scientific evidence to at least justify a theory.
Well, it is very much possible for a carcass to be preserved in near pristine conditions be it by tomb, tar or ice. However, the whole point of the Animal Planet special was to say, "WHAT IF WE FOUND A DRAGON BODY?" so obviously, it's fake. (That, and if you watched the aftershow).
Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 AM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

I love dragons! :D

Who can say, they could be living right now in a parallel universe for all we know :o

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 10-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Lusitania Offline

This is why we can't have intelligent discussion.

They're dragons .->

They're not real.

Good day sirs and madam.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Dragons... hmm... Non-existent today, is for sure, unless they exist on another planet.

However, in olden days, I believe dragons may have existed. Maybe not the to the extent of fire-breathing, but that's beyond my jurisdiction in this argument.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:23 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

What kind of thread is this? :| Dragons have never existed. If they ever do, they will be a product of human engineering.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."