Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Other Chat

Other Chat For non-Pokemon discussion on everything else. For casual talk only, any more serious topics such as current events, should be in the Discussion. You can talk about anything else that is not covered in the other "Other Boards" that are above.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Group Projects

I was curious to know how other people here feel about these. I might be going back to school soon, and the thought of group projects came to mind.

To me, they're usually very hit or miss. If you end up with great people that are easy to work with, the project goes smoothly and everyone ends up with good grades. But its hell when you end up with a few slackers who don't ever say anything, other people are expecting you to always lead, and no one is doing their stuff. If nothing changes about that, then you get nailed along with everyone else, regardless of all the attempts you made to try and pull everything together. But the ultimate worst is having to settle with doing someone else's portion of the assignment.

Without a doubt, some of my best experiences involved group projects, but some of the worst involved the same thing. Worst memory had to be this:

I was at home from school, which is about a 45 minute drive away. It was Thursday night, and I didn't have class on Friday, so I was getting settled in for the weekend. I was in my PJs, settling down to watch some CSI at 9PM when I get a phone call. I swear, this is exactly the way he sounded.

"Hey Joe! Where are ya?"

"Huh?"

"We're having a group meeting! Didn't anyone tell ya?"

"No."

"Well come on!"

Which meant having to drop everything I was doing, get changed, miss CSI, and drive 45 minutes all the way back to school only to find out... they were done by the time I got there. Brilliant.

So, now that you've heard mine, share your group project experiences. I'm sure you have them.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:40 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-
Default Re: Group Projects

I find it like you said; the either go very smoothly, or very badly.

My best group project was probably one time in Drama; we had a couple of lazers, but they didn't want main roles anymore than we wanted to give them to them. But other times, people have just been like 'Oh, he's really good at Drama, he can work it all out' or 'Nah, I don't think we need to rehearse at lunch. We'll just throw it all together next lesson'

So I'm pretty much in agreement, although I think it does come down to organisation as well. Get good people, and good organisation, and it's awesome. Get bad people, but good organisation, and sometimes you can pull through. Get bad people and bad organisation... and you hit rock bottom.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:41 AM
CS373 Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via MSN to CS373

Group projects never work for me my team members don't do anything and I do all the work. They fail, I get the A.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:02 AM
Bryce Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Bryce

My teachers are idiots and give everyone the same grade based on the one project. I'm grade-obsessed, so I always end up doing everything. I have trust issues.:P

BRYCExKAT
Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

I have done projects before. More than 90% of my ideas, good or bad, have been rejected by my group members for no apparent reason. D: I know I slack some, but many people are worse than me...
Old 10-04-2009, 03:19 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
I was curious to know how other people here feel about these. I might be going back to school soon, and the thought of group projects came to mind.

To me, they're usually very hit or miss. If you end up with great people that are easy to work with, the project goes smoothly and everyone ends up with good grades. But its hell when you end up with a few slackers who don't ever say anything, other people are expecting you to always lead, and no one is doing their stuff. If nothing changes about that, then you get nailed along with everyone else, regardless of all the attempts you made to try and pull everything together. But the ultimate worst is having to settle with doing someone else's portion of the assignment.

Without a doubt, some of my best experiences involved group projects, but some of the worst involved the same thing. Worst memory had to be this:

I was at home from school, which is about a 45 minute drive away. It was Thursday night, and I didn't have class on Friday, so I was getting settled in for the weekend. I was in my PJs, settling down to watch some CSI at 9PM when I get a phone call. I swear, this is exactly the way he sounded.

"Hey Joe! Where are ya?"

"Huh?"

"We're having a group meeting! Didn't anyone tell ya?"

"No."

"Well come on!"

Which meant having to drop everything I was doing, get changed, miss CSI, and drive 45 minutes all the way back to school only to find out... they were done by the time I got there. Brilliant.

So, now that you've heard mine, share your group project experiences. I'm sure you have them.
I agree that they either go well or just end up failing. And omg, you had to miss CSI?! That's just horrible. (Is a very big CSI fan).

I think my worst experience had to be back when I was in sixth grade. I was extremely shy, and I got stuck doing this planet project in my Science class with a slacker with an attitude. I ended up doing all the work while she's all like, "Well I did some of the work; I colored Neptune." Whenever I remember about this, I just get so mad at myself and wished I hadn't been so timid.

I rather do projects alone, unless I cann pick some good and trusting friends. Like Bryce, I have trust issues and I'm grade obssesed. I rather do all the work, knowing full well that I did everything, rather than do my part and wonder if the rest of the group followed through. Again, trust issues. D:

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 10-04-2009, 03:28 AM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to -Holland- Send a message via MSN to -Holland- Send a message via Yahoo to -Holland-

I hate group projects. I mean, I love my friends, but nothing works out when I have to collaborate with them on school projects. We always procrastinate more than we already do, and things are always inconsistent because we all think differently.

And yeah, this also applies to projects where we draw stuff. I sketch Hester from The Scarlet Letter, and her daughter consists of two dots and a semicircle...>_>

My Battle Log
Old 10-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Beng I the Pikabeng View Post
I have done projects before. More than 90% of my ideas, good or bad, have been rejected by my group members for no apparent reason. D: I know I slack some, but many people are worse than me...
This.
Never really liked group projects. I'm more of a loner type person and I work better when I'm not bothered by other people talking and trying to tell me what to do. I can socialize when I need to but when I start introducing ideas people either ignore them or follow them, depending on how well the idea may work.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:00 PM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

Right now I'm taking a online class this semester and we have to work in groups. Two of the people in my group are pretty good at doing their share of the work, but this one guy doesn't say anything or turn anything in until the day it's due >_>

So yeah it's a hit or miss, but over all I hate them. I was a loner in high school and ususally worked by myself.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 10-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcemegus View Post
This.
Never really liked group projects. I'm more of a loner type person and I work better when I'm not bothered by other people talking and trying to tell me what to do. I can socialize when I need to but when I start introducing ideas people either ignore them or follow them, depending on how well the idea may work.
What, people actually follow some of your ideas?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:16 AM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

Here's another reason why I hate team projects, the other members usually screw you over. Our team for that online class has a year long project, and well the first section of the project was due this past friday. Well to make a long story short, they (for some odd reason) told the teacher I didn't participate and I got an F. Now I'm waiting for a email from my teacher for an explanation.

so........AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 10-08-2009, 02:30 AM
Demon of the Mist Offline

Send a message via AIM to Demon of the Mist

I hate group projects. Specifically labs, which our crazy teacher schedules every single week! (She calls it Lab Marathon Thursday) In my first lab group i was in the jock group so I had to do all the work. Well, at this time I'm with my friend so there is at least two adequate minds in my group. Oh and to top it all off our teacher throws us into shark-infested water by not teaching us anything!

Last edited by Demon of the Mist; 10-08-2009 at 02:32 AM. Reason: I didn't want to quote the message above mine.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:19 AM
GallantlyGlaceon Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to GallantlyGlaceon

I like group projects when I'm with my friends(specifically my super smart cousin, but I don't throw all the work onto her, mind you) But if I have to be with the people who slack off and have a horrible attitude, (like this one girl who I almost always seem to get paired up with in Math/Science) then I end up doing all the work. My English teacher takes individual grades, while my Math/Science teacher takes the whole group's grade from the overall result. Weirdly enough, my Math/Science teacher seems to be the cause of a lot of my group project problems, yet she's the teacher that let's us slack off most of the time.O_O
[12:38:20 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: ...So how do we do this? XD
[12:39:20 AM] Sight of the Stars: it's nothing really big, just usually a note in your sig that's all like 'paired with soandso'
[12:39:44 AM] Sight of the Stars: just be like "SIGHT OF THE STARZ IS MAH BIZNITCH" <---- Yup.
[12:39:57 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: XDDD
[12:39:59 AM] Sight of the Stars: and I'll be like "GALLANTLYGLACEON IS MAH HOE."
Old 11-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Whenever I have to do a group project, I usually end up doing most of the work by myself...

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 11-25-2009, 01:57 AM
Broderick Offline

Send a message via AIM to Broderick Send a message via MSN to Broderick

Screw people, I work alone.