Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Ľ Pokemon RPG's Ľ Pokemon Ultra RPG Ľ General Ľ Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Stinky's Avatar
Stinky Offline
Garbage Can
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,794
Send a message via AIM to Stinky
Default A Call for Change in the URPG

I'm not going to go and explain what went on in the URPG Chat starting on page 829 and onwards, since I'm sure everyone has probably read it/can go read it.

After HKim posted in the URPG Chat to talk about what had been going on in the URPG recently, Haze replied to his post, stating many of the problems that have occurred. From what I hear, HKim has talked with mods and officials, but still hasn't done anything about the problems that were stated in that thread.

I'll be honest, I want to see change in the URPG. And it's not just me, it's a mutual feeling among the members. Even though everyone wants different things done, I think something everyone wants is for action to happen quickly- even though there were many active members that really care about URPG posting in the URPG Related Chat, something surely the leader would have cared about- nothing is happening. And I for one, am not happy with that fact.

Let's be honest here- there are definitely things in the URPG that need changing. We have mods who are in the Council who don't really do anything in the URPG, as well as a newly modded moderator who isn't active at all.

I don't really want to get indepth to what I think is going wrong with the URPG, because really, we have great officials who really know what's going on in the URPG, and they definitely know more about what's going on than us regular members. This is more of a call for change in URPG- we are facing issues which cannot be ignored, and unfortunately, they have been. I personally want to see some action- some things need to change.
__________________
  #2  
Old 09-16-2009, 09:23 PM
The Jr Trainer's Avatar
The Jr Trainer Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 8,426
Send a message via AIM to The Jr Trainer Send a message via MSN to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Yahoo to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Skype™ to The Jr Trainer
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
After HKim posted in the URPG Chat to talk about what had been going on in the URPG recently, Haze replied to his post, stating many of the problems that have occurred.
Not really. Haze simpley pointed out that Fenix was a bad choice for a moderator and his feelings on the new moderating spots. In no way did he bring up any of the 'big issues' people seem to think there are in URPG. I really don't see any - however hypocritical that may be. Yes, I used to say URPG was a craphole, but really it's not. People always seem to think there's a problem with the URPG, but I honestly don't see anything. Yeah, maybe our leadership has made so bad choices, but who doesn't? Everyone is going to make mistakes, no matter who they are or how perfect they're made out to be.

If you're going to want change in URPG, then maybe you should tell the leaders of URPG the problems you see with it and give suggestions on how to fix it. Complaining about the problems is not going to get you anywhere, take action yourself - you're as much a memeber of the URPG as an official or moderator is.

You guys always go on and on about how much URPG leadership sucks, but I never see you guys doing anything about it. Arguing does next to nothing, complaining does as much as the former. If you want change, like I said, you do something about it. Help the leadership make better decisions; don't tell them they suck, that's accomplishing zero.
__________________
  #3  
Old 09-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Haze's Avatar
Haze Offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,895
Send a message via AIM to Haze
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jr Trainer View Post
Not really. Haze simpley pointed out that Fenix was a bad choice for a moderator and his feelings on the new moderating spots. In no way did he bring up any of the 'big issues' people seem to think there are in URPG. I really don't see any - however hypocritical that may be. Yes, I used to say URPG was a craphole, but really it's not. People always seem to think there's a problem with the URPG, but I honestly don't see anything. Yeah, maybe our leadership has made so bad choices, but who doesn't? Everyone is going to make mistakes, no matter who they are or how perfect they're made out to be.
My big issue is the lack of communication. Everything has to be run through Harry and the council, and with the council being inactive and Harry way too hesitant to make up his mind, nothing happens. I've already talked about this though so I see no need to bring it up again. :3

Quote:
If you're going to want change in URPG, then maybe you should tell the leaders of URPG the problems you see with it and give suggestions on how to fix it. Complaining about the problems is not going to get you anywhere, take action yourself - you're as much a memeber of the URPG as an official or moderator is.
lol? Members have about 0 power right now. Checked the Trainer's Court lately? Almost every thread has just been left unfinished, because the leaders won't make a decision. I've told Hkim what I think should be done multiple times, it just doesn't happen.

Quote:
You guys always go on and on about how much URPG leadership sucks, but I never see you guys doing anything about it. Arguing does next to nothing, complaining does as much as the former. If you want change, like I said, you do something about it. Help the leadership make better decisions; don't tell them they suck, that's accomplishing zero.
Ok Jr, what the hell are they supposed to do, ban Hkim and the council? It's pretty hard to help a leadership that doesn't even interact with its own members.

I'm done arguing, it's time for the council to make a decision on what's going to be done. This is just pointless and a waste of time.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyurgh View Post
Yeah, but if you switched places with Scarlett Johanssen, and then felt her up, wouldn't you just be playing with yourself?

Last edited by Haze; 09-16-2009 at 09:41 PM.
  #4  
Old 09-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Lusitania Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,119
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

I'll dare to put my cards into the game.

In my honest opinion, the URPG does have its faults. The lack of communication, the hesitance of the leadership to make change, and above all, the inactivity of the so-called council. What really brought about this mess was the uproar when Fenix was appointed mod, and I honestly couldn't agree more with the outrage. It's in the same boat as Lucavi being site staff. She hasn't been on in forever, and she still has the job? What is this stuff?

And there needs to be change. The regular members have to be able to have an opinion that actually matters and won't fall on deaf ears, as I feel that many of the suggestions and concerns about the URPG do. And above all, this needs to be taken care of as soon as possible. People are getting pissed. And eventually they'll get fed up. Or maybe not. I don't know. I'm just a regular member.
  #5  
Old 09-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Loyal Arcanine's Avatar
Loyal Arcanine Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 8,833
Send a message via AIM to Loyal Arcanine
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

I can't help but feel that a lot of the things you say used to apply to yourself Jr, even if they don't anymore. I also think Haze did put quite a few issues forward, not least HKim's ability or lack thereof to make important informed decisions, and also of course the issue with the council. I've heard mostly negative views about this lately; surely discussing it can't be a bad thing?
  #6  
Old 09-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Marth's Avatar
Marth Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingdom of Altaria
Posts: 4,206
Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

I agree with the facts that:
- The council is not working properly due to half of them mods not being actively interested/participating in URPG-decision making.
- Fenix's orange name is not called for.
- Harry needs to be more firm in his decisions on certain proposals.

But I say proposals, and not issues. There are no major issues in the URPG per se. No rules that need modifying, no abusage of battle rules, or stuff like that.

Thus while I too believe it's time for switching powers in the council, I don't think it's something that should be made a fuss over, since their inactivity is not doing any harm. This is nothing that can not be solved by speaking with Harry about them inactive powers.
__________________
By Khajmer
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD
  #7  
Old 09-16-2009, 11:05 PM
The Jr Trainer's Avatar
The Jr Trainer Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 8,426
Send a message via AIM to The Jr Trainer Send a message via MSN to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Yahoo to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Skype™ to The Jr Trainer
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze View Post
Checked the Trainer's Court lately?
Have you? I don't know about you, but I see most of the things posted in the Trainer's Court have been either made or shot down. The only one I see that was just left sitting was the Battle Frontier one, but that's been discussed so many times. Either way, the Trainer's Courst almost always gets resolved; rather it be shot down or put up as a new part of the URPG.
Quote:
Ok Jr, what the hell are they supposed to do, ban Hkim and the council? It's pretty hard to help a leadership that doesn't even interact with its own members.
I never heard about members talking to HKim about anything, yes you have, but has anyone else? Maybe if members actually tried to talk with the council then it would interact with the members. It can't be a one-way street, they both have to talk with each other.
__________________
  #8  
Old 09-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Leman's Avatar
Leman Offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: You have one guess
Posts: 8,639
Send a message via AIM to Leman
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Ok, I understand that people are pissed with a lack of communication, but what I want to know, is what the hell do you guys want communicated? What do you want changed? From what I can gather, its just revamp the mod list. You guys keep ranting on and on about 'change' like you're Obama, but you guys haven't suggested anything really relevant. And when you do post something that you think needs change, you just regurgitate what Haze said. (which by my logic makes me think that you guys think Haze is Obama, but that doesn't matter :x)

So yeah, demod Fenix, kick Chris and Scott of the council, mod Haze, and put him, Kat, and someone else on the council. Problem solved.

No need for a 'civil war'. >_>
__________________
My VPP

Done: 8680

I don't ref forum battles/1v1s. Don't PM me to ref, IM me instead.
I need to have basic battles.

I grade week old stories that are Hard rank or lower. :)


  #9  
Old 09-17-2009, 12:45 AM
Dap04's Avatar
Dap04 Offline
Master Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Posts: 286
Send a message via AIM to Dap04
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

I apologise for my frankness in my assessment of the urpg in the general chat thread. I may have come across overly hostile which was more to do with my mood at the time than my feelings of extreme fault towards the place. I still believe, despite my apology of my manner of speech, that certain people donít really justify their positions on the basis of activity, lack of input and behavioural conduct which I have seen. This is the main gripe.

I can see the other side of the argument too however, that perhaps regular members are frustrated by the annual period of inactivity and are creating a fuss over what may be more to do with school/college/uni than the urpg. Because it is not only those who are in charge who are inactive however, but the general members too. Itís as Marth said, there isnít a major scandal that is going on at the moment that isnít being dealt with but rather inactivity, complacency and a lack of firm leadership.

I believe this can be resolved civilly without having to resort to overheated arguments but what we need for this to occur is for the current people in charge to actually listen and do something about the concerns of your members, rather than shoot down any proposals and label us all lazily as trouble-makers.
  #10  
Old 09-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,469
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman View Post
Ok, I understand that people are pissed with a lack of communication, but what I want to know, is what the hell do you guys want communicated? What do you want changed? From what I can gather, its just revamp the mod list. You guys keep ranting on and on about 'change' like you're Obama, but you guys haven't suggested anything really relevant. And when you do post something that you think needs change, you just regurgitate what Haze said. (which by my logic makes me think that you guys think Haze is Obama, but that doesn't matter :x)

So yeah, demod Fenix, kick Chris and Scott of the council, mod Haze, and put him, Kat, and someone else on the council. Problem solved.

No need for a 'civil war'. >_>
What he said. Come on people, this is point and click stuff.
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
  #11  
Old 09-17-2009, 01:04 AM
KantoChamp46's Avatar
KantoChamp46 Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The great US of A!
Posts: 661
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dap04 View Post
I apologise for my frankness in my assessment of the urpg in the general chat thread. I may have come across overly hostile which was more to do with my mood at the time than my feelings of extreme fault towards the place. I still believe, despite my apology of my manner of speech, that certain people donít really justify their positions on the basis of activity, lack of input and behavioural conduct which I have seen. This is the main gripe.

I can see the other side of the argument too however, that perhaps regular members are frustrated by the annual period of inactivity and are creating a fuss over what may be more to do with school/college/uni than the urpg. Because it is not only those who are in charge who are inactive however, but the general members too. Itís as Marth said, there isnít a major scandal that is going on at the moment that isnít being dealt with but rather inactivity, complacency and a lack of firm leadership.

I believe this can be resolved civilly without having to resort to overheated arguments but what we need for this to occur is for the current people in charge to actually listen and do something about the concerns of your members, rather than shoot down any proposals and label us all lazily as trouble-makers.
I may not have been in the URPG for long, but I have to say that I really do think this hit it dead-on. Really, how active is the URPG? There is a lack of activity, and it can be frustrating. That's what it sounds like the main complaint is, and that lack of inactivity I think carries over to the leadership, so people think they are lazy or not doing their job. =/ Maybe everyone should just get on more often. Oh wait, they have lives, too. Lol jk jk anyway just thought I'd throw my two cents in because this is the only "problem" I've seen with the URPG and it's just because people have lives and busy schedules so it's perfectly understandable, though also understandable that the members are getting frustrated. That's just my perspective though, and what do I know, I'm a n00b lol. XD
__________________
Fanfiction Archive | URPG Trainer Stats | Coordinator Stats | Faves

98% of teens won't stand up for God. If you're one of the 2% who will, place this somewhere in your signature.

  #12  
Old 09-17-2009, 01:27 AM
Lusitania Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,119
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KantoChamp46 View Post
I may not have been in the URPG for long, but I have to say that I really do think this hit it dead-on. Really, how active is the URPG? There is a lack of activity, and it can be frustrating. That's what it sounds like the main complaint is, and that lack of inactivity I think carries over to the leadership, so people think they are lazy or not doing their job. =/ Maybe everyone should just get on more often. Oh wait, they have lives, too. Lol jk jk anyway just thought I'd throw my two cents in because this is the only "problem" I've seen with the URPG and it's just because people have lives and busy schedules so it's perfectly understandable, though also understandable that the members are getting frustrated. That's just my perspective though, and what do I know, I'm a n00b lol. XD

The URPG is extremely active. I remember when it took a week to get a ref for a forum battle.
  #13  
Old 09-17-2009, 01:46 AM
AUfan's Avatar
AUfan Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 640
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

as for any leadership problems, i wouldnt know, nor really care, about them. however, i am a pretty active URPGer and i can comfortably say that the URPG is very active.
__________________
Credit to SuperSleuth for the Banner & Avatar
  #14  
Old 09-17-2009, 04:04 AM
HKim's Avatar
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,075
Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

It appears there are many concerns here.

Between all of these various posts, there appear to be 3 main concerns. Let's address them.


1. The threads in the Trainer's Court Section have not been addressed.


I think Jr said it the best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jr Trainer View Post
but I see most of the things posted in the Trainer's Court have been either made or shot down. The only one I see that was just left sitting was the Battle Frontier one, but that's been discussed so many times. Either way, the Trainer's Courst almost always gets resolved; rather it be shot down or put up as a new part of the URPG.
I think the problem might be more in the communication. We take some actions regarding those threads, but we don't necessarily post what actions we take. A lot of the work is done through IM's or PM's rather than in such a thread and I think that is the main concern. People want to be informed about what is going on. People don't like surprises.

And this brings us to the second problem.


2. There is a general lack of communication.

A lack of communication between moderators and officials. A lack of communication between officials and officials. A lack of communication between leaders and the members.

The real problem and the real concern. So let's solve it.

I will try, from this point forward, to post what actions we have taken in regards to the Trainer Court threads. And not just me, but all of the leaders. If one of us is working on something, then I ask that the person post that they are doing so. Let the left hand know what the right hand is doing.

In addition, I propose monthly Town Hall meetings. These meetings will take place on a messenger service and will be used to discuss any issues that anyone wishes to bring up. Whether they be official, member, moderator, outsider, etc. As long as it relates to the URPG, we will discuss it and see what comes of it. What better communication then a meeting? I will post the time, date, and location and anyone who is interested is welcome to come. It is your chance to say what you want to say.

And of course, you can always speak to me or any of the other leaders individually through PM or IM.


3. An inactivity of leadership.

I want to thank DU for having the courage and civility to step down due to inactivity or, rather, a foreseen inactivity. He has helped the URPG when its needed help and we thank him for that as well.

The Council, including myself, voted in favor of promoting Haze, Fenix, and Kat to Moderators. Of course, out of these three, you disagree with only one of the nominees, Fenix. You disagree on account that she is inactive. You are correct. Even I have not been able to reach her since the vote.

So as leader of the URPG, I am revoking the promotion (or veto it if you prefer) and returning Fenix back to her original position as an Official.

As for the moderators, you will have to talk to them. Sure, I could fire them but I would like to ask you, are some of them really as inactive as you think they are? Perhaps you should check the Park Section, it might be illuminating. And of course, I would like to give them the same chance as DU. The chance to resign gracefully.



But let's face the facts too. The URPG has been as active as ever. When I joined, we had a single battle a day. Now, we have battles upon battles. Stories upon stories. Contests upon contests. The Park has opened, a Park that has been in planning stages since Figgy was leader. We have the new URPG Risk event going through Beta Tests. The URPG Library is being planned out thanks to the efforts of Emma and George. My friends, we are doing fine. These are minor issues compared to times in the URPG when its very existence was questionable.

Here are the solutions. Let's make them work.



I know that I may not be the most thankful person in the world, but I want to give a shout out to the following people for helping me out. Thank you to all of you:

Haze, Dux, Jr, Nyurgh, Leman, Kenny, Teo, Mike, Scott, Emma, George, Jess, Isaiah, Dap, DG, Shadowlink, Ataro, DU, Shroomish, Fever, and many, many others. I am thankful that you're here.
__________________
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.

Last edited by HKim; 09-17-2009 at 04:07 AM.
  #15  
Old 09-17-2009, 04:25 AM
AmericanTreeFrog's Avatar
AmericanTreeFrog Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific northwest
Posts: 2,794
Send a message via AIM to AmericanTreeFrog
Default Re: A Call for Change in the URPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKim View Post
It appears there are many concerns here.

Between all of these various posts, there appear to be 3 main concerns. Let's address them.


1. The threads in the Trainer's Court Section have not been addressed.


I think Jr said it the best:



I think the problem might be more in the communication. We take some actions regarding those threads, but we don't necessarily post what actions we take. A lot of the work is done through IM's or PM's rather than in such a thread and I think that is the main concern. People want to be informed about what is going on. People don't like surprises.

And this brings us to the second problem.

I think this would, help it's better the saying "results will come soon"


2. There is a general lack of communication.

A lack of communication between moderators and officials. A lack of communication between officials and officials. A lack of communication between leaders and the members.

The real problem and the real concern. So let's solve it.

I will try, from this point forward, to post what actions we have taken in regards to the Trainer Court threads. And not just me, but all of the leaders. If one of us is working on something, then I ask that the person post that they are doing so. Let the left hand know what the right hand is doing.

In addition, I propose monthly Town Hall meetings. These meetings will take place on a messenger service and will be used to discuss any issues that anyone wishes to bring up. Whether they be official, member, moderator, outsider, etc. As long as it relates to the URPG, we will discuss it and see what comes of it. What better communication then a meeting? I will post the time, date, and location and anyone who is interested is welcome to come. It is your chance to say what you want to say.

And of course, you can always speak to me or any of the other leaders individually through PM or IM.

I think this is also a good idea, but will all mods be present or just whoever is on?


3. An inactivity of leadership.

I want to thank DU for having the courage and civility to step down due to inactivity or, rather, a foreseen inactivity. He has helped the URPG when its needed help and we thank him for that as well.

The Council, including myself, voted in favor of promoting Haze, Fenix, and Kat to Moderators. Of course, out of these three, you disagree with only one of the nominees, Fenix. You disagree on account that she is inactive. You are correct. Even I have not been able to reach her since the vote.

So as leader of the URPG, I am revoking the promotion (or veto it if you prefer) and returning Fenix back to her original position as an Official.

As for the moderators, you will have to talk to them. Sure, I could fire them but I would like to ask you, are some of them really as inactive as you think they are? Perhaps you should check the Park Section, it might be illuminating. And of course, I would like to give them the same chance as DU. The chance to resign gracefully.



But let's face the facts too. The URPG has been as active as ever. When I joined, we had a single battle a day. Now, we have battles upon battles. Stories upon stories. Contests upon contests. The Park has opened, a Park that has been in planning stages since Figgy was leader. We have the new URPG Risk event going through Beta Tests. The URPG Library is being planned out thanks to the efforts of Emma and George. My friends, we are doing fine. These are minor issues compared to times in the URPG when its very existence was questionable.

Here are the solutions. Let's make them work.



I know that I may not be the most thankful person in the world, but I want to give a shout out to the following people for helping me out. Thank you to all of you:

Haze, Dux, Jr, Nyurgh, Leman, Kenny, Teo, Mike, Scott, Emma, George, Jess, Isaiah, Dap, DG, Shadowlink, Ataro, DU, Shroomish, Fever, and many, many others. I am thankful that you're here.


Did I get snubbed? J/K
Anyway, I agree with the the new mods, but one question, do we really need a new mod for the story board? I think Kat would do a great a job, but Embreon and Galleon seem do fine, unless I'm missing something.

One more thing. Since we are talking about mods, we do a need a mod for the contest section. Activity is still low there, but DG is the lead judge and I think he should gain mod to watch those boards.

My opinion
__________________
Coordinator Stat's



Other URPG site (more active): http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com