Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Other Chat

Other Chat For non-Pokemon discussion on everything else. For casual talk only, any more serious topics such as current events, should be in the Discussion. You can talk about anything else that is not covered in the other "Other Boards" that are above.

View Poll Results: Should I?
New material 8 53.33%
Just quit 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Broderick Offline

Send a message via AIM to Broderick Send a message via MSN to Broderick
Default Re: I need your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male Snorunt View Post
Well, that's just the thing. The kind of comedy I do now, I just can't stop. It's actually my natural personality. What I need to know is, since nobody really laughs at my natural personality that much, I was wondering if I should try actually making jokes, or just try hard to quit?
I have the same thing, I've got ADHD, it's hard not to crack a joke when you find something funny, amirite?
But seriously, the big thing I've learned is not to overwork it. Don't crack jokes ALL the time. Space them out. If people want to hear jokes, they go to a comedy club, people don't just wait for you to tell a joke, you act on something that was funny, or occasionally say a joke that you've been working on.
And like others have said, timing and delivery are key. Make sure never to say "and uh.." or "um, and it goes like this", or anything along those lines.
It also depends on how old you are, like Diarago said. It ain't the 5th grade where you can crack a fart joke, haha. And make sure to do DIFFERENT things than other people are doing. It's not as funny the second time. Always remember that.
So as far as "new material" goes, you don't nescessarily need a new style, just different ways of delivering it. And definetly don't quit something your passionate about, if you're having a dry spell with it.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Male Snorunt Offline

I do have timing, actually. Only people with funny voices are considered funny in my school. Or the popular people. They just laugh at them for brownie points from the cool kids.

Anyway, I have an idea. Tell me if you think it's good or not.

I think I might stop being funny for awhile, and see if anyone notices. If they don't, they would be glad I stopped trying, or just didn't notice it in the first place. If they notice it, they'll either be happy or want me to try to be funny again.

So, is it a good idea?

(And Broderick, you make a lot of good points.)
Old 09-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Lusitania Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male Snorunt View Post
I do have timing, actually. Only people with funny voices are considered funny in my school. Or the popular people. They just laugh at them for brownie points from the cool kids.

Anyway, I have an idea. Tell me if you think it's good or not.

I think I might stop being funny for awhile, and see if anyone notices. If they don't, they would be glad I stopped trying, or just didn't notice it in the first place. If they notice it, they'll either be happy or want me to try to be funny again.

So, is it a good idea?

(And Broderick, you are most certainly right. XD)
I believe that is a good idea.

And boohoo them brown noses =3
Old 09-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitania View Post
That makes you sound like a *****.

Anyway, if you're not funny, give up. You have to know about timing, and of course it's situational. There are some places where you shouldn't make jokes >_>;;

Idk, apparently I'm a laugh riot. Harharhar sarcasm.
okay how do i sound like a "*****" when im often the butt of the joke? and by delivery boy i meant i make the jokes depending on the situation.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Male Snorunt Offline

Quote:
I believe that is a good idea.

And boohoo them brown noses =3
XD I know. I hate popular kids. And thanks for your opinion.

Arcemegus and Lusitania, please don't argue here. I'm not 'mini-modding', I just want all posts to relate to the topic, please. I just don't want people to start constantly posting things unrelated to the topic. I'm asking nicely.

Last edited by Male Snorunt; 09-12-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:35 AM
Lusitania Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcemegus View Post
okay how do i sound like a "*****" when im often the butt of the joke? and by delivery boy i meant i make the jokes depending on the situation.
Maybe it's the wink.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Male Snorunt Offline

Quote:
Maybe it's the wink.
Meh. Please don't argue or anything here. Not 'mini-modding', just don't want posts unrelated to the topic. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:08 AM
Hei Feng Offline

Well, not material per se, but don't try to be funny. Just let it come naturally.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:43 AM
SPPF_Max Offline
Banned

Also, to add on to what everyone else was saying in which I just read, if you say stuff while trying to be funny, you'll just fail at it and you won't succeed. While few of your friends may have laughed, those other people sure weren't laughing themselves. You could've recently just said something retarded just to get some people to laugh just into trying to be funny to get attention or to cause your friends' laughter. That usually doesn't work like that 100% of the time. They'll usually be disappointed and most of the time when they're laughing, it's because you've been saying things inappropriately. Don't attempt to do it at all. Bottom line! Trust me! If you go around seeing someone trying to be funny by saying inappropriate things or making inappropriate comments or jokes, they're just trying to get attention or are attention seekers and it's attention WE DON'T GIVE!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 AM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to -Holland- Send a message via MSN to -Holland- Send a message via Yahoo to -Holland-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPF_Max View Post
Also, to add on to what everyone else was saying in which I just read, if you say stuff while trying to be funny, you'll just fail at it and you won't succeed. While few of your friends may have laughed, those other people sure weren't laughing themselves. You could've recently just said something retarded just to get some people to laugh just into trying to be funny to get attention or to cause your friends' laughter. That usually doesn't work like that 100% of the time. They'll usually be disappointed and most of the time when they're laughing, it's because you've been saying things inappropriately. Don't attempt to do it at all. Bottom line! Trust me! If you go around seeing someone trying to be funny by saying inappropriate things or making inappropriate comments or jokes, they're just trying to get attention or are attention seekers and it's attention WE DON'T GIVE!
Also, what people usually do with people they never found funny to begin with (especially in all levels of grade school) is just never laugh at their jokes even if they become funnier. One of your problems could be that your audience isn't nearly as varied as it should be for you to get reliable feedback.

With that in mind, you should just do as others in this thread have told you: let it come naturally. If you feel you have to force it and meticulously plan your delivery, then maybe you have two problems rather than just one.

My Battle Log
Old 09-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Master Aqua Offline

Send a message via AIM to Master Aqua Send a message via MSN to Master Aqua

I think you should just quit it's not worth getting in trouble over.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Male Snorunt Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPF_Max View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarago View Post
Also, what people usually do with people they never found funny to begin with (especially in all levels of grade school) is just never laugh at their jokes even if they become funnier. One of your problems could be that your audience isn't nearly as varied as it should be for you to get reliable feedback.

With that in mind, you should just do as others in this thread have told you: let it come naturally. If you feel you have to force it and meticulously plan your delivery, then maybe you have two problems rather than just one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malomyotismon View Post
Well, now I sort of understand what you mean by 'natural', a lot more at least.

And I mostly was funny to get attention, SPPF. DX Why do you hate meeee...

And I'll try to be more natural. I'll post back here and tell you how it works out.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:56 PM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to -Holland- Send a message via MSN to -Holland- Send a message via Yahoo to -Holland-

Quote:
Doing something is worth it if one really loves doing it.

My Battle Log
Old 09-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Male Snorunt Offline

Quote:
I actually really like getting in arguments with teachers. It's fun.

(I'm sorry, but it's true.)
Old 09-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

I say new material, but in reality I say stop trying to be funny. Being funny isn't about effort.