Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 08-19-2009, 08:48 PM
-Pichu Boy-'s Avatar
-Pichu Boy- Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The land of tea and fish 'n' chips
Posts: 3,959
Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

Just thought of another reason why maybe they're not always popular; people aren't always looking for the same type of contest. Say I'm looking for a Normal Cool - some other person might be looking for a Master Smart. You need to hope you get four people who want the same Contest, and seeing as only the winner gets a ribbon, that makes the higher ranks less likely to have a contest. :o
__________________
URPG | ASB
MK + Trainer17 = Evil twins | MK + Leo = BFFs
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 PM
HKim's Avatar
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,075
Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

I like a lot of these ideas and it seems we need to put some BERRY JUICE POWER into the section. (Yeah, that's right, I said it)

Definitely events would spark things up and I like the idea of allowing easier access to some of the pokeblocks in order to get a few thing started. Perhaps we can make a few of them as minor prizes in some smaller events or sponsored contests.

An interesting thought is that sections in the URPG tend to do well because there are a few leaders focused on that section. Like how Emma and George run the Stories Section. It prospers because they know it better than anyone and give their love and attention to it.

Perhaps we can set deadlines so that if a trainer does not send his or her move, that trainer is skipped for the round.
__________________
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-19-2009, 10:41 PM
The Jr Trainer's Avatar
The Jr Trainer Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 8,426
Send a message via AIM to The Jr Trainer Send a message via MSN to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Yahoo to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Skype™ to The Jr Trainer
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
Just thought of another reason why maybe they're not always popular; people aren't always looking for the same type of contest. Say I'm looking for a Normal Cool - some other person might be looking for a Master Smart. You need to hope you get four people who want the same Contest, and seeing as only the winner gets a ribbon, that makes the higher ranks less likely to have a contest. :o
Still, maybe you're not looking for that type of contests, but would it hurt to participate in it anyway?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Dragoness's Avatar
Dragoness Offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halloween Town
Posts: 1,829
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jr Trainer View Post
Still, maybe you're not looking for that type of contests, but would it hurt to participate in it anyway?
From my limited understanding of the contests, I believe this is because of the following:

If your Pokemon is equipped/best for one contest, than yes it matters. Why spend a lot of money on certain Poke'Blocks only to enter one or more contests where their not worth anything? I wouldn't mind, except that the competition would already have an upper hand if they have the right Pokemon for the contest and I don't.

*shrug* I think that's how it works from what I have read in the contest rules/"All About Contests".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-20-2009, 03:03 AM
The Jr Trainer's Avatar
The Jr Trainer Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 8,426
Send a message via AIM to The Jr Trainer Send a message via MSN to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Yahoo to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Skype™ to The Jr Trainer
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoness View Post
From my limited understanding of the contests, I believe this is because of the following:

If your Pokemon is equipped/best for one contest, than yes it matters. Why spend a lot of money on certain Poke'Blocks only to enter one or more contests where their not worth anything? I wouldn't mind, except that the competition would already have an upper hand if they have the right Pokemon for the contest and I don't.

*shrug* I think that's how it works from what I have read in the contest rules/"All About Contests".
Just because your Pokemon is fit for one type of contest doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't enter another type of one. It's all fun and games, contests aren't very "NO I WANT TO WIN THIS! D:<" They're more of a casual part of URPG that everyone can enjoy, win or lose.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-20-2009, 04:07 AM
Starkipraggy's Avatar
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gundam Porygon ZZ
Posts: 3,151
Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jr Trainer View Post
Just because your Pokemon is fit for one type of contest doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't enter another type of one. It's all fun and games, contests aren't very "NO I WANT TO WIN THIS! D:<" They're more of a casual part of URPG that everyone can enjoy, win or lose.
I'm speaking for myself and others that think like me when I say that I wouldn't want to dump money and time figuring out how to be a good co-ordinator and then have a crappy win rate. Maybe the competitive spirit is what kills the contests, but well, contests and battles are both similarly competitive, as demonstrated by the anime. This is especially so in D/P, when Contests are actually difficult to win, compared to R/S/E when you could beat every contest with a Shuppet carrying Curse and Destiny Bond without much in the way of PokeBlock consumption.

I have a problem with the Pinch Berries too, but let's not go there. Other than the fact that I will rage at people who use it for contests.
__________________


Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Dap04's Avatar
Dap04 Offline
Master Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Posts: 286
Send a message via AIM to Dap04
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

I found Contests in the game a bit of a waste of time and thus unfortunately I haven't had the inclination to try it in the URPG (when I've been around ). I thought they were mainly designed for the fanbase who desired more extras to prolong a great game (and make it less repetitive). I guess if there was more incentive in terms to participate then more people would be willing to give it a go, as the duration of a match I imagine is offputting. I am glad to see it remain however and I am sure it won't be 'dead' forever. It does add extra branches to the URPG tree as a whole and offers people a sidetrack from battling. As someone pointed out it could use with some greater exposure within the URPG by the way of events and the like.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-30-2009, 07:36 AM
HKim's Avatar
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,075
Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

So how this then for possible solutions:

  • We should probably hold some sort of event to kick up activity a notch.
  • Berry prices should be lowered or contest prizes should be raised.



Anything else?
__________________
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Ataro's Avatar
Ataro Offline
RUSTYREFBOT
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Location
Posts: 20,271
Send a message via AIM to Ataro
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

No, berry prices are low enough.

I think the contest prices are enough as well. @_@

I'm thinking along the lines of introducing pre-blended Pokeblocks, like I said earlier, and maybe a tournament around Winter as suggested by others. Also, a set DQ limit (for that certain round) for people who don't send in time.
__________________
urpg stats . the ultra dex .
avatar image courtesy of emma-kins .
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-30-2009, 01:55 PM
-Pichu Boy-'s Avatar
-Pichu Boy- Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The land of tea and fish 'n' chips
Posts: 3,959
Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtaroBot View Post
I think the contest prices are enough as well. @_@
I agree, except 2nd place and 3rd place prizes should be different, imo. 2nd place gets 1.5k, right? Then make 3rd place get 1k and 4th get $500, but keep the berry rewards the same.
__________________
URPG | ASB
MK + Trainer17 = Evil twins | MK + Leo = BFFs
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Trainer17's Avatar
Trainer17 Offline
Shōrai no Kaizoku-ō
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New World
Posts: 6,354
Send a message via AIM to Trainer17 Send a message via MSN to Trainer17 Send a message via Skype™ to Trainer17
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

What if we bring in the Grand Festival, like what they did in Animes, here? Like when you obtain all Normal Ribbons, you enter the Normal Grand Festival, Super Ribbons and you enter the Super Grand Festival, so on? The only thing different here would be the prize money and perhaps 2 berries? Just an idea :o
__________________
URPG l ASB l VPP

Paired with Jaye l My Family l Wifi League

Last edited by Trainer17; 08-30-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-31-2009, 07:50 AM
HKim's Avatar
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,075
Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtaroBot View Post
No, berry prices are low enough.

I think the contest prices are enough as well. @_@

I'm thinking along the lines of introducing pre-blended Pokeblocks, like I said earlier, and maybe a tournament around Winter as suggested by others. Also, a set DQ limit (for that certain round) for people who don't send in time.

Pokeblocks do confuse me. How soon can we implement this?
__________________
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-31-2009, 08:05 AM
ragnarok0422's Avatar
ragnarok0422 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Why should YOU care? =/
Posts: 2,595
Send a message via AIM to ragnarok0422 Send a message via Yahoo to ragnarok0422
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer17 View Post
What if we bring in the Grand Festival, like what they did in Animes, here? Like when you obtain all Normal Ribbons, you enter the Normal Grand Festival, Super Ribbons and you enter the Super Grand Festival, so on? The only thing different here would be the prize money and perhaps 2 berries? Just an idea :o
I would like to add some tweaks here if this will be used to bring back contests.

Maybe each person much have at least 5 normal ribbons to enter the festival.

And then on with the preliminaries, eliminations, pre-finals and finals... and higher amout of money and berry amounts as prizes...

Like such:

1st = 3k + 2.5k berry + proceeds
2nd = 2.5k + 2k berry
3rd = 2k + 1.5k berry
4th = 1.5k + 1k berry

And the judge gets 3k as well...

I think I just specified what Trainer17 had said... xP
__________________

|| VPP Stats || URPG Stats || ASB Stats || Pokedex Project Stats || URPG Ranger Log ||
~ Credit to myself for making the Finnel avvie & banner! ~
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-31-2009, 08:39 AM
DarkGardevoir's Avatar
DarkGardevoir Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: hidden in my avatar
Posts: 5,618
Send a message via AIM to DarkGardevoir Send a message via MSN to DarkGardevoir
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKim View Post
Pokeblocks do confuse me. How soon can we implement this?
Well, pokeblocks are already there, it's just a little problematic to explain it. Basically, you choose 4 berries and blend them together- the flavours ( spicy, sour, dry, sweet, bitter) become the respective contest attribute (cool, tough, beauty, cute, smart).

I dunno if that's what you meant though. Perhaps you meant about the pre-made blocks?

We'd just sell them, slightly more expensive than the berries that would make them (those berries wouldn't be shown) or possibly a little less effective than the ones you make yourself.

just throwing out ideas.


BTW, as for the grand festival. I don't think that simply making it a big contest with the same rules will really spark up interest. I mean, tournament are popular because they are different from normal battles. We need to figure out something special, unique to URPG's Contests. That may be asking for too much tough.

I was wondering, what would you think of FFA-style contests? I mean, a giant contest in which many people can enter- it'd be a hassle to judge, but may be an interesting thing. I was thinking something among the lines of:

1) There is no attribute chosen, so you won't have problems with people looking for a certain type of contest
2) The number of turns would be a little more than 4/5, depending on the rules (possibly, a multiple of five to help with next rule). This would allow for more chances to switch around who's in the lead position.
3) The type of moves favoured by the "fictional judge/s" would be randomly chosen each turn, so as to make it more interesting.

What do you say about this? Maybe this would work for the Grand Festival thingie.
__________________
My quotes


Vocaboulary Game
Quote:
MeowthMistress1: the alimighty ranger station
MeowthMistress1: we serve to protect you, just don't require us to spell or use proper grammar.

Last edited by DarkGardevoir; 08-31-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Ataro's Avatar
Ataro Offline
RUSTYREFBOT
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Location
Posts: 20,271
Send a message via AIM to Ataro
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKim View Post
Pokeblocks do confuse me. How soon can we implement this?
[$750] Red Pokeblock; Luster 20; Coolness 12
[$750] Blue Pokeblock; Luster 20; Beauty 12
[$750] Pink Pokeblock; Luster 20; Cuteness 12
[$750] Green Pokeblock; Luster 20; Smartness 12
[$750] Yellow Pokeblock; Luster 20; Toughness 12
[$1750] Purple Pokeblock; Luster 23; Coolness 38; Beauty 12
[$1750] Indigo Pokeblock; Luster 23; Beauty 38; Cuteness 12
[$1750] Brown Pokeblock; Luster 23; Cuteness 38; Smartness 12
[$1750] LiteBlue Pokeblock; Luster 23; Smartness 38; Toughness 12
[$1750] Olive Pokeblock; Luster 23; Toughness 38; Coolness 12
[$3000] Reddish-Gold Pokeblock; Luster 38; Coolness 64; Beauty 25
[$3000] Blueish-Gold Pokeblock; Luster 38; Beauty 64; Cuteness 25
[$3000] Pinkish-Gold Pokeblock; Luster 38; Cuteness 64; Smartness 25
[$3000] Greenish-Gold Pokeblock; Luster 38; Smartness 64; Toughless 25
[$3000] Yellowish-Gold Pokeblock; Luster 38; Coolness 64; Beauty 25
[$4000] Pinkish-Gray Pokeblock; Luster 49; Cuteness 75; Coolness 36; Toughness 23


What I have so far, after discussing with DG. Might add new flavors in the near future.
__________________
urpg stats . the ultra dex .
avatar image courtesy of emma-kins .
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com