Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Ataro Offline
RUSTYREFBOT

Send a message via AIM to Ataro
Default URPG Contests - Dead

The main objective of this thread is to find out why people don't participate in contests.

In case you didn't know, contests in URPG work like how the game does. In RSE, there will be two rounds - primary and secondary, where Pokeblocks equal to your attribute points in primary rounds and five rounds of attack appeals in the secondary rounds. Thus, extremely similar to in game. And if you didn't know how much an attack appeal does, there is a moves guide about it and a list of attack combinations as well.

In DP however, the visual round (which requires you to decorate your Pokemon with items in games) is about your Pokeblocks still, but there is no dancing rounds though. The last round, being the acting round where you perform attacks appeals, lasts four rounds and you are able to appeal to any of the three judges as well (name randomly decided by the judge at that time), with one of the judges being the lead judge.

If you're interested in payouts as well ... (Current Payouts)
1st: $2000 + Ribbon + Choice of a 1.5k berry
2nd: $1500 + Choice of a 1k berry
3rd: $1500 + Choice of a 1k berry
4th: $1000 + Choice of a .5k berry

So if we actually get to know the problem behind contest inactivity, we can actually fix the problems up and there will be a "new" segment of URPG to play with and stuff. And if you have suggestions, feel free to voice out them.

Last edited by Ataro; 08-19-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Keion Offline

Send a message via AIM to Keion
Default Re: URPG Contests - Dead

Maybe poeple don't participate because of it takes long to finish a contest. You need to wait for everyone to post their attacks and when one of them is inactive, the whole contest slows down. Just my guess, btw.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Elrond Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Elrond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medz View Post
Maybe poeple don't participate because of it takes long to finish a contest. You need to wait for everyone to post their attacks and when one of them is inactive, the whole contest slows down. Just my guess, btw.
Back in the one or two contests I participated in a while ago, I don't remember this ever happening. I think the members who are that inactive know not to get into things on the forum when they can't be bothered to post on a regular basis. Besides, five rounds is less time than your average two-on-two forum battle, with the only difference being that there are more people that need to post.

By the way, the payouts are pretty nice. Just sayin'.

Quote:
SotaOMG (10:05:46 PM): i think stunky is sexy
iamnotyou11 (10:05:54 PM): Soda stop being gay
supermonkey07@cox.net (10:06:03 PM): ironic statement?
<URPG>
I can probably take some grading requests now. But don't all rush me at once. :/
Old 08-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

I never liked the Contests in-game much anyway. It's probably that that prevents me from being interested, whereas battling has always been fun for me.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:56 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-

I tried to enter a contest once,, but only one person other than me posted. My guess is that people generally prefer battling, and are a bit unsure of contests.

Also, why is the payout the same for third and second place...?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Also, it takes a large amount of money to invest into berries, not to mention the amount of math needed to calculate how much mileage you can get out of a mix of berries. Not to mention how shovelling in all the best berries could still land you with a crappy PokeBlock/Poffin.

I would write an app for that to make Contests easier, but I'm working on a damage calculator at the moment and I don't really even have time to do that properly for now, so yeah.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 08-19-2009, 04:35 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
Also, it takes a large amount of money to invest into berries, not to mention the amount of math needed to calculate how much mileage you can get out of a mix of berries. Not to mention how shovelling in all the best berries could still land you with a crappy PokeBlock/Poffin.

I would write an app for that to make Contests easier, but I'm working on a damage calculator at the moment and I don't really even have time to do that properly for now, so yeah.
Pass me the formulas and I might be able to help.

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around
Old 08-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

You can prolly do the contest one, since I'm mostly stuck on trying to get the GUI of my damage calc to work. Right now it refuses to change dynamically for some reason. And I'm using Python to program it. The actual damage function works perfectly, once I get the GUI up I can just write code to have it plug in the values and let it rip.

EDIT: I think we should take anything else pertaining to making calcs to PMs :X

Basically my point is that Contests take way longer to figure out than Battles, at least for me.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader

Last edited by Starkipraggy; 08-19-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Ataro Offline
RUSTYREFBOT

Send a message via AIM to Ataro

If money and Pokeblocks are the issues, perhaps we can release ready-blended-Pokeblocks to be used? (Like what we see in Platinum)

That way, if you're not sure how to get a certain amount so that you're spending your money on something worthwhile, you can simply get those ready-blended ones. However, if you know what berries to blend in order to get a high condition, then you can still buy the certain berries to blend.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:09 PM
AUfan Offline

I would love to participate in contests. The only reason I dont is because I never get a chance to because, well, no one else is participating in the contests.

If people start to participate, then I will gladly go set up my coordinater stats, buy some berries, and be just as active in contests as i am in battles
Old 08-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Ridley Offline

Send a message via AIM to Ridley

I remember entering one contest way back when.

I guess I don't like them because they take too long. :U

At least I got 1st place there.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Lonsie Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Lonsie

I actually find the contests a whole lot of fun. :D

If people think they take too long, why don't we try to set Contests up on AIM? They'd be along the same lines as an FFA, and if someone could ref ten or more people in a battle, I don't see why four people in a contest would be a problem.

[ BFF ~ Draconic Espeon ]
URPG | Shizen no Senshi | VPP
Old 08-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Shinies Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Shinies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsie View Post

If people think they take too long, why don't we try to set Contests up on AIM? They'd be along the same lines as an FFA, and if someone could ref ten or more people in a battle, I don't see why four people in a contest would be a problem.
Contests can be set up via AIM.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Gold Rush Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Gold Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsie View Post

It took me so long to set up a contest on AIM and lots of people who were kinda interested had to make their own stats. There are not enough people who like them, people just don't like the idea and it takes too much work to actually do one.

[URPG] [VPP] [Knights of the Round Table] [ASB]

“For ten years I chased Suicune, and I finally got to see it. I'm all choked up!”
Old 08-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Fever Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Fever Send a message via MSN to Fever

I wasn't a fan of Platinum contests - I much preferred the Sapphire format. That's just in-game though.

I don't think Contests get enough in the way of advertising. They're in a completely separate section to the "popular" threads & pretty much get overlooked. Maybe if there was a bit of a shout about them - say a tourney for new co-ordinators, with a good prize like a free Complex mon to the overall champ - they'd attract more interest? However, it would work better on AIM - then again, you'd need everyone online.

Maybe there could be something like the Giant Forum FFA that Haze did, but split into rounds, with three days to send moves. You could split 20 players into groups of 4 and hold 5 separate heats at the same time, then have have the top 5 advance to the next round.

If people don't want to spend on berries, maybe there could be some kind of rental system just for the mini 'tourney'?

My two cents.