Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost
Default Pen and Quill :: A Fanfiction Writer's Digest

Pen and Quill

Index of Articles

Name / Subject / Publish Date / Author

And the Journey Begins: A new day dawns / Journeyfics / Feb 20, 2007 / Sceptile Frost

Index of Reviews

Name / Author / Genre / Star Rating

================================================== =======
Vol. 1 ------------- Edition 1 ------------- February 20th, 2007

::Editor's Forward

The time has come that my beloved forum, PE2K, has gotten an Author's Corner. I am eternally in debt to Jack for bringing this up and to Ryan for hosting the boards and approving this.

That said, I would like to extend a warm welcome out to you, good PE2K member. PE2K is a wonderful forum, and I congratulate you for joining, whether it was yesterday or four years ago. Also, I commend you for coming over to the fan fiction portion of this board. It is a vibrant community on its own and has many members that are loyal and skilled in both picking up the pen to write and to review.

Thus, I welcome you to Pen and Quill. Pen and Quill is based loosely upon Writer's Digest, a vibrant, enthralling magazine publish bimonthly that is filled to the brim with writing advice ranging from genre-specific to publishing to plotting to making time to write. It fills many of my hours with enjoyment, and I look forward to each issue.

However, WD is not fulfilling when it comes to writing fanfiction. Things specific to different genres of pokemon fan fiction are unique and cannot be applied to any other form, original or fan. This is why I have chosen to start Pen and Quill. I have started it so that we can share the knowledge that we have learned throughout our years, months, weeks, or days as writers of this great fandom.

Also, your welcome to add articles. Just run it by me first and then you can start writing. Whenever you finish, post the article and I'll link it in this thread.

================================================== =======

Here then, is the first article of Pen and Quill:

And the Journey Begins
A series of articles on journey fics.
By Sceptile Forst / antialiases.

A new day dawns...

The pokemon journey has shaped the fandom. It has transformed the idea of pokemon from a game to an anime to a manga and back again five times over. But there is much more to the journey fic, and that can be found in the fan fiction of this type.

It is obvious that the journey fic was where the pokemon fan fiction began. Since it was the only 'genre' of pokemon fan fiction that was presented in canon, it was to be the first. The journey fic has gone through many changes such as this, and most well-known authors across the various boards can boast at least a stab at a journey fic. Now, ten plus years since Ash's journey began, the journey fic has become scorned on by the crème de la crème of Serebeth. In truth, however, the journey fic remains the core of the fandom, as well as the most popular. It is the genre that holds the true aura of the fandom, presenting it as Satoshi Tajiri intended it.

Of course, the journey fic has evolved much since the first was penned and posted. Now, most journey fics consist of multiple subplots ranging from evil team members to pyschic powers to blooming teenage romances.

Now, how does this help you, an author with minimal or great experience, write a great journeyfic? To be honest, it only gives you a grasp of the journeyfic. Thus, let us dive in.

The beginning is considered by most to be the most important part of a journey fic. Why? The answer is simple. In the beginning, you tell the reader the setting, the main characters. Also, the core part of the journeyfic must never be forgotton: the motive that causes the character to leave his or her home and depart. This could be seeking revenge for a lost brother or sister, to seek out one that they are 'in love with' or to seek adventure. The character probably plans to hunt badges or enter contests, but that should not be their main motive. If it is their main motive, it is likely that you will be considered a bushy-eyed newbie by most. However, if you present these characters with agility, making them seem power-hungery and wanting while still shwoing their depth, you can certainly make it work.

That said, the beginning is crucial. How you start can prevent or encourage a reader from hitting the back button and browsing for a different forum. This is not as prevalent on PE2K, but once you hit Serebeth - the large, bustling forum - you will be in trouble.

To begin your journeyfic is to depart on your adventure. It can be either an enthralling, adventurous, enjoyable one, or a living nightmare. The first choice you must make when you get down to the nitty-gritty - the actual writing when the characters and motive have been already decided - is the time of day.

It is a sad fact that most stories begin in the morning. It is a good choice, as the morning is considered the beginning of a new day, a new attitude, a new adventure. However, it has been used so much that it has become cliche. You can still pull it off, but it may, possibly, turn of readers.

What other choices remain? Night could be an interesting choice. Say that your main character is doing some studying or playing a quick game of __________ (insert preferred console and game here) and then feels it the next day? These possibilites are hardly used, and could enthrall the reader if handled correctly.

So, you've got the day decided. But you certainly aren't ready to begin your writing, or ship it off to a board for posting. Not yet. Next, you need to get your time set for when the story begins.

Most stories begin, not only in the morning, but also the day the journey starts. This makes for a good time, as it is when the adventure begins. However, other alternatives might be better. Consider starting your fic a few days or shortly after your main character has recieved his pokemon. Though the adventure has already started, it means that your main character has a learned a lot already and even possibly is ready to challenge his first gym. The disadvantage of this is that it makes the trainer's skills harder to believe, and might turn off readers. The other alternative is before the adventure has started. This option can give your readers more information on the character. Most published novels start out with a short period of the reader getting to know the main character. This period is vital to show character depth, and the approaching adventure that will soon occur. If you give the reader a chance to show your character's depth, they will be even more enthralled by the journey when it does begin. Be mindful, however, that when this approach is taken, you must try to present the details with action intertwined. For example, I'm rewriting a journey fic of mine and now it starts just before a family reunion before my main character, Connor, goes off. His relatives hold a few battles, which sort of provides some action.

Use these tecniques and your journey fic's beginning will show more depth and encourage the reader to continue.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: Pen and Quill :: A Fanfiction Writer's Digest

With permission and review from Sceptile Frost, I've decided to contribute an article to this as well.

Overcoming Writer’s Block
How to get back on track with your fan fiction.
By Neo Pikachu

If you’ve written a story, then you know what Writer’s Block is, or what many consider to be the inability to continue writing a story. How Writer’s Block is caused can be depending on several elements with how the story was planned, or the author’s general feelings toward the story they’re writing.

The first way Writer’s Block could happen is from a lack of interest in the story. Generally, this could be the result of something distracting the author from adding more to the story they’ve already been writing. If the distraction is strong and captures the interest of the author more than writing the story, you could be looking at a story that will never make it to the end. Generally, its up to the author to decide if they really want to complete it, but if there is no interest, then chances are it will end there.

However, if the story dwells in the back of your mind, and you know you’d like to finish it, but at the moment you really don’t want to and the desire to do it just keeps prolonging itself, stop for a moment to consider why you started it in the first place. Then, open up the story again, and reread it. Recall the parts you enjoyed writing the most, and soon it may come back to you, and you’ll see why you wanted to write it. Also, tell yourself, “do I really want this story to just die right here?” No, of course you don’t. Also, if you still don’t completely feel like adding to it right then and there, just try adding a single paragraph for the moment. It’s only three or four sentences, and it won’t take too long. And then tomorrow, again, just add another paragraph, even if its just description. Again, reread your favorite parts again, the ones that made you smile. Keep trying to add to it, and maybe little by little, you’ll get back into it, if not all at once.

Another type of Writer’s Block is just not knowing what to write next, even though you really want to continue the story. Generally, this could be the result of coming up with a really nice event you wanted the main character to go through, but now that you’ve written it down and have it done, you’re not sure what to write next. You know your general plotline, and you had the main character reach this point, but there’s a gap from one point you’re writing at and the next part you want to get into. It’s not a matter of coming to a wall, but more like coming to a trench that needs to be bridged over.

Think about what inspired you to start the fan fiction in the first place. Was it another story, a movie, a game, or something of that kind? Try revisiting that one element that got you started, and then try visiting a new element that’s similar to that in genre. Let’s say The Shining got you wanting to write a horror story where people are trapped in a building, and something strange is going on. However, you got stuck and you want something sick and dreadful to happen to a character, but you’re really not sure what you want to happen or the plotline got flawed along the way. Maybe give The Shining another watch, but in addition to that, supplement it with another horror movie, such as SAW, Hostel, or Hannibal Rising. Or use a different media, such as playing Resident Evil or Silent Hill for a different feel that could be approached within the genre. Maybe you got your setting situation inspired by The Shining, but watching SAW or one of those other movies or playing one of those games could bridge the gap, and give you a great idea of how you want to end one of your character’s lives in a gruesome way that will catch the reader’s attention. However, get inspired, don’t rip from what one movie has done or people could catch it. Change elements of it around, such as swapping weapons, changing locations, or the manner in how it was done. Also, using characters that wouldn’t be associated with the ones that appeared in the movie/game would also help.

A third type of Writer’s Block might have happened because you had one event happen, but you already posted it and regretted doing so when you would have liked something else to happen instead. Either that, or the predictability of it was too obvious, and someone else managed to get what you wanted to happen next, and now you’re heading smack dab into a cliché that’s going to inevitability turn off the attentions of your readers.

Stop and rethink things out, because it’s not too late and you could take a pit trap and turn it into a nice opportunity to catch your readers off guard and divert the story in a better direction. In these cases, there may be a way out:

PROBLEM #1: Too many characters, and a lack of desire to write about them all.

It’s happened, let’s say you got too carried away, and added too many characters. Now you have like twenty different characters still active all at the same time. Many of them have major roles or support roles that you need. Meanwhile, you’ve confused your reader into wondering which ones are really important, and which ones are filler.

SOLUTION: Love it or not, some of those characters need to be removed. If some of them have roles you still need to fill, have someone else take on the position when the first person leaves.

These characters can be removed in a few ways. Some can just be on a temporary basis, but then don’t forget about them later on. Or if you want to completely get rid of them, it has to be done slowly. Having seven of your characters die instantly would be too drastic. Instead, get the characters you want to have removed together, and throw in some of the ones you do want to keep as well. Maybe they decide to have a party, attend an event, or whatever that would need them to be all in the same location. Then, make something happen that can remove some instantly, upset/wound/greatly affect others, and then have survivors, ones that were only minimally affected. It could be a disease, an attack, or something dire that would cause some people to be removed instantly, others shortly after, and then maybe even a few that would experience removal over a long period of time. Maybe a bomb went off, and some characters were killed, others were critically wounded, and others were affected emotionally. Those that were affected emotionally could leave the story’s plot through depression or fear of experiencing something like that again.

It doesn’t even need to involve death either. Something could happen that completely demoralizes some of the characters from pursuing the goal they originally sought after. Let’s say you had a rebellion happening, but you have too many important characters in the rebellion. You could have some of them turncoat, be affected in ways that would cause them to hide back and avoid the goal, or others are caught, imprisoned, and are never heard of again.

PROBLEM #2: I had my main character get involved with something, but I really don’t want him to do it anymore or I wish I could take it back.

One of your characters did something or got themselves caught up with something, but now you’re wishing you didn’t make that happen.

SOLUTION: Reversal should be slow, and not too quick. Or, have your character make a mistake that changes things around. Maybe your character was sent on a mission during the story to help find someone. However, during the middle of writing the mission, you’re not that interested in doing it any more, and you’re beginning the feel its just wasting time. One way is to have the character find out something that drastically upsets the goal. The person they were looking for was no where to be found… because they did something to themselves that was far different that the person who sent them on the mission was thinking. Maybe a father looked toward the main character to help him find his son, but after writing it through and not wanting to proceed with the mission or trying to avoid a cliché, do something the reader wouldn’t suspect. Maybe that son was actually in the barn unlike his father thought, and chances are… he committed suicide by hanging himself over something that the father put him through. Or, maybe something happened to the son that immediately ends the mission, such as the main character finding them, but something is seriously wrong with them.

Amnesia isn’t always the best solution, since it has become a cliché over time. Main character goes on a mission, something strange happens, and then they wake up and don’t remember a thing. This had been done before, many times. Try to avoid it unless you have a very clever way to implement it.

PROBLEM #3: I can’t stand this plotline, I don’t like it any more but I’ve gone too far now.

You came out with a nice plotline in the beginning, but you’ve gotten sick of it over time, and it’s just not that you think it was cracked up to be. Or, you seemed to approach it in the wrong way, and now its just becoming more of a mess.

SOLUTION: I won’t deny this is a hard one to fix, and many have run into it before. Honestly, sometimes the best solution is to slowly but cleverly switch genres, even if its just for a little while. Take the story off the beaten track for a moment, if not completely.

First, rethink the plot and consider what you would like to happen now as opposed to what you would have like to happen back then. You changed your mind while writing it, and that’s okay. However, now have you a spot where you want to be, and where you currently are in the story. So, how to get from point A to point B?

Try to bridge the gap with coming up with possible routes the story could take to reach where you want to go. Let’s say you once though having your character go clinically insane and be locked up in a mental hospital, but now you’re sick of the idea and you just want them to get out, and get to the point where they become a mole for an evil syndicate you developed in the story.

You could have them get out on good behavior, but then you’re kicking up your time frame a bit. Maybe that’s okay with you, and writing out a few chapters of them coming up with the realization that their only way out is to recover, or at least make it look like they’re recovering. Maybe over time, they get some advice from a fellow detainee, and they talk their way out. But this could be months later. Or, they come up with a brilliant escape.

Now you have them back on the streets again, but the evil syndicate it still at large and you want them to become a mole. Now, you need to get rid of their history, and clean it out. They could pretend like they’ve known the syndicate their entire lives, or they could try to make believe that the character you have is one of their own through clever implementation.

In closing, a good mindset to take is to approach and attack the problem of Writer’s Block within the week you found yourself suddenly stopping with your writing. Any longer than that, and you begin to risk putting it aside and never going back to it. A few months would be hard, since you may have forgotten what you wanted to have happen, or you even forgot what happened in the story already. One week is good, but after two weeks, you're already risking losing the story completely. And honestly, it would be a shame if a story you once loved and enjoyed writing ended before you wanted it to.

Don’t be afraid to become the reader of your own story. Don’t be afraid to take an objective view, and pretend someone else wrote it. What parts did you like, or didn’t like? What do you like about the characters, or are there characters you get a little tired of reading about? Chances are that if you’re thinking it, others are thinking it as well, even though opinions are always subject to vary.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:21 PM
ze_gobou Offline
Amateur Trainer

Default Re: Pen and Quill :: A Fanfiction Writer's Digest

Quote:
Now, ten plus years since Ash's journey began, the journey fic has become scorned on by the crème de la crème of Serebeth. In truth, however, the journey fic remains the core of the fandom, as well as the most popular. It is the genre that holds the true aura of the fandom, presenting it as Satoshi Tajiri intended it.
ROFL !
That's french !
What... does it mean in English ?

My t-card, made by me. For the template, see this thread : http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ad.php?t=30270

Don't forget me, don't wait for me... Don't hate me, don't love me... Don't go, don't stay... Don't speak, don't be quiet... don't leave me, don't stay with me in the darkness... just... don't...