Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Kaze Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Kaze Send a message via Yahoo to Kaze
Default Storm Wolf

Author's Notes: I finally found the board for non-fanfiction stories. If you like wolves, then you should probably read this. ^_^ You can also PM me with a detailed description if you want one of your own characters in the story (most will just fall into random members of Tempest Pack). I'd say it's PG to PG-13. There's blood and violence, but not a lot of swearing, if any.

---

Prologue
Rain and Snow

The pale golden light of the morning sun was covered up by a thick layer of angry storm clouds grumbling and threatening rain. The air was still and dense with moisture, and thunder finally roared through the sky. As if the noise had been an order, rain began to pour from the dark firmament. Droplets tumbled down and slipped off of emerald green leaves and dark needles in the forest below. The water couldn’t get very far through the dense green canopy, but raindrops glimmered in the woods’ hollows as they hit the forest floor with hundreds of tiny splashes.

Hidden among the dark green ferns was a dark creature. It was a male wolf that was now angling his head up toward the storm clouds. His rich, sea green eyes scanned the sky as if he was looking for some hidden meaning in the heavens. As rain splashed onto his sleek, smoky gray pelt, it created the illusion of an aura of light around his lean silhouette. Upon closer inspection, one could see several darker streaks in his fur.

The wolf blinked rainwater from his eyes. Shaking himself—although it made little difference—he padded out into one of the clearings. He drew back his lips to show his fangs. However, it was not a snarl, but instead a smile that was almost mischievous. He sat down, letting his feathery dark tail curl loosely around his haunches. He then threw his head back and parted his jaws. A cry erupted from his throat into the wet air, but this wasn’t, by any means, a normal howl. This call seemed to carry much more power as if commanding the storm to stop. The note ended very abruptly.

The wolf’s ears swiveled forward, uncertain. He smirked as the pounding rain slowed to a light drizzle that could be mistaken as only a dense mist. Lightning halted in its leap from cloud to cloud. Then, the dark sky brightened. A single ray of sunlight broke through the clouds and fell upon the canine, outlining his body in gold. His eyes closed in contentment as leftover rainwater ran down his smoky coat in miniature rivulets. Flicking a drop from his ear, he stood and stretched in the style of a tame dog, sighing as he did so. His tail waved as another sign of satisfaction. It was as if his sharp howl that forced the rain to stop.

…And, truthfully, it had.

The dark gray wolf shook out his wet coat again. The water that ran down his sleek body fell into tiny pools on the ground. Suddenly, his head and ears perked up; he dropped into a crouch, his hackles rising on his neck. Growling, he slowly pivoted, his keen eyes sweeping over the vegetation for the hidden foe. Finally, he sniffed at the air and let his muscles loosen as a cold, pure smell seeped into his nostrils. He waved his tail in greeting as the other creature stepped into view. It was a gigantic she-wolf with fur was white as virgin snow…literally. Oddly enough, her eyes contained only an expanse of glowing white to match her pelt. In the glowing sunlight, it seemed—no, it was—that snowflakes were dancing slowly around her fur.

The male dipped his head in greeting and respect and lowered himself to the wet grass. The she-wolf nodded curtly in acknowledgement, and the darker-furred canine began to speak, the wolven language fluent despite his slight accent. “Hello, Yuki Megami. What brings you down here?”

The female closed her clear white eyes, noticing that he found it unnerving that they contained no pupils. “I see your voice still sings with the power of the ocean,” she commented in a whisper. “To answer your question, I can and do walk the Earth, not just dreams. As you can feel, it is the season of summer, and it is not my time to patrol the skies. My power is far from its highest, and I must retreat into a semi-mortal form.” Her voice was as cold and frigid as the air around her, but it held politeness and wasn’t so formal that it became annoying. She opened her gleaming eyes and growled, “I also felt your spirit, your power, and as the rains stopped I knew it was you. You use your skills too—”

“Should I count this as a blessing, O Great Goddess?” he asked sarcastically.

Yuki Megami bared her glistening fangs, and the wolf flinched in return. She stepped forward. “You must show respect, Rio,” she hissed. The snowflakes in her fur erupted into a freezing, angry flurry. The black-streaked wolf backed away, his ears flat against his head. The she-wolf snarled. “I roam the land, I come to check upon the Chosen Wolf of my own element, and this is what I receive? This summer heat frustrates me, but disrespect from one of the Chosen Wolves infuriates me! I can take your command over the water in a heartbeat, as quickly as I can take away your life!”

Rio growled in alarm and scrambled back. Soon the goddess was leaping for his throat, teeth glinting in the light. He rolled over onto his back in submission and cried, “Wait! You’re looking for the other Chosen Wolves, aren’t you?”

The snowy wolf pulled back. “Yes?” She stared at him expectantly as he rolled to his paws, and he panted heavily as she growled, “You have sensed one of them, correct?” She backed off and began to pace; the frost around her settled back onto her pure, sparkling fur. “Sensing the strong presence of the others is another talent I have given you, Rio, which you must be thankful for in a world where the common gray wolf does not hold such strength and magic.”

The dark wolf nodded thankfully. “It’s a strong fire,” he whispered, “in her spirit, and her own strength surpasses mine. This, and the fact that her elemental magic is the opposite of mine, makes her so easy to sense. It’s the Wolf of the Flame.” He averted his aqua-colored eyes as he trailed off, but he quickly added, “We’ve been searching for a long time, Yuki Megami, ever since I was born with your power.” He dipped his head in respect.

The white wolf goddess nodded. “If her power is stronger, then she must have discovered it already. If she has discovered it, she must be training with it. You are the oldest of the Chosen Wolves even if only by a little; I have made sure of that. I wanted my strength and my power flowing through your blood.” She frowned. “Yet, in this case, Natsu Megami has kept the fact that she has contact with the Wolf of the Flame from me,” she mused aloud. She shook her head finally and whispered, “Find her, Rio, and the other Chosen Wolves if you can sense them.” She closed her eyes as her body began to glow. A blast of wind blew her away in a flurry of snow in the hot summer air.

Rio turned away from her and padded into the bushes with a very dark grin.

Last edited by Kaze; 02-01-2007 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Kaze Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Default Re: Storm Wolf

One
The Hunt

“Talfryn, you slowpoke! Hurry up!”

The forest floor was swathed in shadows that danced with the sunlight. Such beams of warmth filtered through the leaves, creating curious patterns of light and dark on the ground around the tall trees. The warm summer air wasn’t as dry and hot as it had been a few weeks ago; after all, it had recently rained, and it was early in the morning. A light breeze that swept through the trees cooled the air further in the southern forests. Two shapes, just passing shadows to most of the creatures awakening in the late dawn, raced past the tall plants. Excited yips and yelps rang out into the air and were carried away by the wind, calling the whole forest to their presence like a noisy fanfare.

The wolf leaping ahead into the lead was lean and gray. Her bottom jaw to her throat, chest, and belly were white. Her fur was unusually dappled with black that also tipped her large, keen ears. Her eyes were a dark emerald that matched a few of the leaves flashing by around her; they sparkled with happiness. She looked over her shoulder and called again, “Talfryn come on!”

A younger wolf ran behind her. Although only a year or so old, he was large and muscularly built. He had black where her fur reached into white, and the paws that carried him through the trees were the same color. The tip of his bushy tail as well as the tips of his ears were also black. His fur was not just a plain tawny-gray shade like some wolves were, but was instead a richer color that was almost brown. He frowned as she called back to him and put on a burst of speed to catch up with her. He then nipped at her fur playfully.

“I find it hardly fair,” the brown wolf, Talfryn, growled as he ran at her shoulder. “Everyone in the pack knows that you can almost outrun even the alphas!” He noticed her slowing and, with a grateful sigh, he also stopped running so quickly. To his surprise, the she-wolf seemed almost annoyed at his comment and fixed him with a hard stare.

“That’s not true,” she muttered defensively. She stopped suddenly and lowered her head to sniff at a small burrow nestled among the tree roots. She snorted in dissatisfaction when she couldn’t scent its occupant. She looked back up to him and signed. “You just say that because you’re slower than me.” She narrowed her emerald eyes at him and walked on.

Talfryn followed with a quizzical expression. “Sorry for complimenting you,” he growled. “You really are a good runner, if I want to admit it or not.” His tone was grudging, and his ears laid flat against his head.

The she-wolf smiled suddenly; she looked like a cub that had just gotten away with something naughty. “You just did!” she laughed, flicking her tail across his muzzle. “Now, are we gonna bring down something to eat or not?”

“Idiot.” He rolled his eyes as he saw the point of her defensive retort. Suddenly, he sprang ahead with a grin. “Well, Kaze, hurry up!” She chased after him and ran at his side. Although their build, color, and age were different, the way they ran was very similar as they matched each other’s pace step by step, that one could tell that they were related. The brother and sister looked up as a foreign cry echoed through the air. A bird cawed above, lifting from its perch. The beat of black wings identified it as a raven that flew above the wolves, expectance in its eyes. “Looks like the clean-up crew’s arrived,” sighed Talfryn as he watched the bird. A few more flew beside it.

Kaze suddenly threw her muzzle up and howled; her voice was as beautiful and pure as the low song of a flute. The cry drifted on the wind, meant to gather more forces for the hunt that would soon occur. Earlier, patrols from their wolf pack had spotted a sickly doe. Sure enough, as Talfryn scented the air, he caught a trace of deer and smiled. His sister howled a final time before they stopped suddenly and paused at a clump of bracken. Beyond it, the pairs of green and blue eyes could see a young doe lifting her head from nibbling on some grass. She was thin—all ribs were protruding horribly—and she didn’t have the strength to get up and run from the wolf’s cry.

Muffled footfalls gained the keen attention of the dappled she-wolf. A male canine appeared through the foliage and approached her quietly, his head dipped in greeting. His fur was full of mottled hues from gray and black to rich red-tawny. He twitched ears that were tipped with black like the others’ were, and his beautiful golden eyes sparkled with excitement as he heard the deer on the other side of the wall of vegetation. He offered the siblings a half smile and turned in that direction, his muscles tense. His white paw and muzzle brushed the leaves as he took in the scent. A silent signal passed through the atmosphere, and the trio of young wolves leapt forward as one.

The doe, now seeing the predators, instantly leapt up and turned to bolt. However, the silver wolf was faster and raced around to block off her exit. As the creature faltered, the males sprang for her sides. The force caused her to topple; with a grin, Kaze leapt forward to meet the deer. The doe’s eyes were wide and afraid as the predator dipped her head to stare into them. Kaze smiled sincerely and whispered, “I’ve come to release you to the Golden Forests, friend. Your suffering will end soon.” The doe stopped struggling and lowered her head as the wolf leapt forward.

A single snap of the jaws, and the prey went with close to no pain.
Kaze released the deer’s neck and nodded to the males. “That was quick,” she said. She sat down and howled, again; this note was meant to call the rest of the pack to the meal. Her tail swayed in pleasure as she looked over at the dead animal. She breathed in the scent of blood and leaves with contentment.

The mottle-pelted wolf scoffed, directing her attention toward him. He growled, “I come to help you catch dinner, and then you ignore me.” He gave her a glare, but one could tell by the never-ending sparkle in his eyes that it was good-natured. She smiled and walked over to him with innocent eyes.

“How could I forget about you, Auri?” she whispered to him. Auri. She liked that name. Even if it sounded a little unusual for a male wolf’s name, it meant “gold”, which was perfect because of his eyes. She added with laughter, “I mean, you’re the one who eats everything.” His ears stood up in indignation, and he was about to offer her a retort; however, further conversation was cut off when the crash of undergrowth alerted them that the other wolves had arrived. The mixed-pelt wolf rolled his eyes as the wolves gathered around and blinked fondly at the hunters.

A gigantic ebony wolf pushed past the ferns, his sharp amber eyes flashing as he stared at the others. All activity paused as the male walked through the group to stop at the dead doe’s side. He turned his head to fix the hunters with a stare, and he growled in a deep, approving voice, “Good job.”

Kaze and the others bowed their heads and murmured in almost perfect unison, “Thank you, Lord Rakesh.” The black wolf then leapt up onto the deer’s side, balancing unevenly and lifting his head. The others looked on expectantly, and he finally released a short howl.

The note ended, and several furry bodies bustled around each other. The dark, large wolf—who was actually the alpha male—sank his teeth firstly into the doe’s haunch. Ripping away meat and swallowing it hungrily, he bared his teeth at anyone who came too close. Soon, the meal became almost barbaric. A few pups scuffled for a piece of good meat offered by their mothers. The hunters tucked in hesitantly, understanding that they were lower than quite a few of the others. After the initial hunger, the wolves fell into an orderly fashion and ate quietly.

Kaze licked blood from her lips and nudged Talfryn. “Save some,” she whispered. He belched and scrambled away with a grin that looked vicious because of the crimson liquid on his fangs. The she-wolf rolled her eyes in irritation and backed away from the deer to let a lower-ranking adult eat. She skirted the others of the pack and sat down at the edge of the hollow, sniffing at the air.

Talfryn followed his sister, frowning in puzzlement. “What’s the matter, Kaze?” he asked softly. “Is everything okay?” He cocked his ears forward. “Do you hear something?”

The female flinched as if waking up. She turned her gaze on him and smiled halfheartedly. “No, I am okay, Talfryn.” She looked back into the surrounding woodland, able to see glossy black feathers through the green of the leaves. The ravens cawed hungrily a few times, and a brave one dove down toward the large, grassy clearing to steal a bit of flesh. Talfryn snarled at it, sending it wheeling away with a shriek of frustration.

Laughing, the young male turned to his sister again. “You want to head back to camp?” he inquired. “Everyone’s almost finished up here. We could play something, if you want to, or we could run or scuffle.” He added mischievously, “Or you could just sit and stare at Auri.” Kaze whipped her head around to face him. She narrowed her eyes at him, but he continued more seriously, “Let’s go. It’ll get pretty hot here pretty soon, and there’s nothing better than a shady den among the Fallen Tree’s roots.” He turned around and walked off into the woodlands.

The she-wolf smiled and started to follow after stretching briefly. She jumped as she felt another pelt brush against hers. Turning her head, she saw the mottled wolf at her side, cocking his head. “Where’re you going?” He seemed slightly sad as if she had purposely tried to leave him there.

“Tal wants to head back to the Fallen Tree,” she said, using her brother’s nickname. “I’m full, anyway, and we could just mess around later. There are always the pups to watch.” She closed her eyes and sighed. “Are you coming, Auri?” she asked as an afterthought.

Auri nodded after a hesitant moment. “Fine, then,” he muttered as if he hadn’t agreed to come along. He narrowed his yellow eyes to slits. “If your brother annoys me one time, I’ll tear his fur out.” His black-tipped tawny ears were flattened against his head, and Kaze could do nothing but laugh at his furious, suspicious expression.

“Come on,” she giggled. She leapt ahead to catch up with Talfryn, Auri at her side. They traveled swiftly as the male scented the air; the other gray wolf put on a burst of speed, her keen eyes picking out her brother’s tracks. Suddenly, she stopped as a sharp crack rang out among the forest. She turned her head to see where the stick—or something larger—had snapped. She heard her friend coming, and she signaled for him to stay silent with a swish of her tail across his muzzle. “Be quiet,” she warned.

Kaze sniffed quickly, her ears pricked for the slightest sound. She heard another snap, followed by a few more. Whatever was coming their way was either very clumsy…or very, very big…

Suddenly, Auri snarled. She whirled around to see a dark creature leaping out of the foliage, pointed white fangs flashing against a black muzzle as the beast barreled into her friend, and sprang for her throat…
Old 02-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Kaze Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Default Re: Storm Wolf

Author's Notes: Doggie! Big fight! >_> The argument is almost pointless, and the ending sucks. I thought I might warn you. (Go Colts!)

---
Two
Dog

The she-wolf let out a yelp of alarm as she dodged swiftly to the side, hearing the beast’s teeth click together all to close to her face as well as its grunt of dissatisfaction. She flattened her ears against her head and backed up swiftly, scrambling to her friend’s side. Auri shook his fur out; their eyes met once, each gaze carrying the same message of shock. Kaze looked back to the creature and frowned, trying to distinguish what it was. It looked similar to a wolf, but it was muscular and smaller, with a shorter muzzle and ears that flopped down strangely. Its tail was stiff and whippy, not at all like the soft, bushy fur of a wolf’s tail. The whole creature’s black coat was very short.

What…what is that? Kaze pondered, taking another retreating step. If it looked like a wolf, why did it want to fight? She recalled an unpleasant memory of thinking the same thing. It was when she was a pup, no more than a season or two old; she had run into a small, gingery creature, mistaking it for a wolf. Its scent was…different, though, and it turned away with the elegance of a wildcat. Her mother had come and killed it instantly, explaining that it was called a “fox”, so much like a wolf, yet so different. The dappled canine trembled as she met the beast’s sharp amber eyes. They were vicious.

The black creature charged toward her again, and she quickly leapt to the side. She felt its teeth bite into her tail, and she snarled, trying to wrench it away. It wouldn’t let go as its jaws clamped together determinedly. She thrashed again, finally turning sharply so that she could snap at it. Blood dripped down its neck where her fangs had scratched it, but it didn’t let go.

Suddenly, a furry, mottled shape blocked her vision. She saw Auri, his jaws locked around the brute’s neck. He thrashed and tugged until the creature stumbled away from her and instantly whirled around to face her friend. She raised her voice in a terrified cry. “Auri!” He flattened his ears as he leapt back. She looked on in horror and sheer helplessness as the black creature’s jaw dropped open. White teeth flashed across its dark muzzle as it reared forward again, angling its head to bite deeply into Auri’s front haunch. The wolf snarled and brought his muzzle down to tear at the unprotected shoulders of his foe.

A sharp howl halted fighting for a heartbeat. As the two continued to thrash, locked together by fangs, a brown shape hurtled through the vegetation and rammed into the black creature. The young wolf struck with both tooth and claw. His muscles rippled under his tawny fur as he struggled to get the beast away from Auri, who was now snarling desperately. With a final, vicious growl, the black animal backed away, turned, and retreated into the foliage. The animal was bleeding from several wounds, but Auri looked as if he were suffering the most. Kaze didn’t remember him fighting before in her life; it was primal instinct that drove him to reply with fangs toward his assailant.

The gray she-wolf looked up at Talfryn, panting in exhaustion. The young male shook his coat out, dislodging some blood, dirt, and leaves. His blue eyes were gentle and mature as he looked the two wolves over for injuries. He pulled away and sat down, silent.

Kaze shook as she took note of her own wounds. Her tail was bleeding slightly, a lot of fur torn away, but nothing seemed serious. Trembling, she stepped toward her friend, whose left shoulder was bleeding terribly. He had a few marks on his chest, too, from where the animal had shifted its grip to inflict a little more damage. He would need help. She trotted uncertainly toward him, every hair on her pelt standing on end.

She drowned in the depth of his golden eyes as he whispered, “Are you okay?”

Perhaps it was the gentleness of his voice that frightened her, or the realization of what had really happened, that caused her to instantly bare her teeth and snap back. “Of course I’m fine. You idiot; you should’ve run for help instead of fighting like that!” She narrowed her green eyes at him in fury; Auri could only stare back in horror. Soon, his features mirrored her anger.
“I was trying to help you, Kaze—”

She growled bitterly. “So I’m helpless?” she demanded. He sighed in exasperation and was about to reply, but she added darkly, “Just leave, Auri.” The finality in her voice showed that she didn’t want any further argument; it was a dismissal, and even if he had the right to stay there, he turned around and stalked off with a limp.

Talfryn looked on with huge eyes. “Um…” he mumbled to gain her attention. She glanced at him and shook her head in apology.

“I’m sorry, Tal. Thanks; let’s head back to the Fallen Tree.”

As she walked, slowly, her heart heavy and her mind trying to grasp what had happened, Talfryn spoke up hesitantly. To Kaze’s surprise, he didn’t start boasting but instead voiced her initial query. “What, in Storm Wolf’s name, was that thing?” Her ears flicked back at his usage of the name. Storm Wolf was the main god of her pack, who had sat by the side of the Greater Being, his own creator. He was said to be the first wolf created by him, and as he took to the skies he created four daughters who ruled the seasons. There were several complicated stories about him and his daughters; she took the time to smile at the thought of them before replying.

“It looked almost like a wolf,” she commented.

“That was weird, though,” he whispered. “Why was its fur so short? I mean, its ears were weird, too. Why did it attack us? It had no reason to, unless it was hunting us as if we were deer.” She could’ve laughed at the thought. The wolf was a sacred animal in the forest, every one said in other animals’ folklore to be the bringer of death who weaved stars into the sky with their songs. Such sacred creatures simply weren’t eaten. Only the bear and cougar did not fear them; even then, they didn’t rampage through a pack’s territory because they acknowledged the strength in numbers.

“It was too much like us. If that happened…it would be like cannibalism,” she stated, and she felt her flesh ripple in disgust. Few animals ate their own in the forests. She shook her head to shake these thoughts away from her mind. Her tail was throbbing, but the pain wasn’t as bad, and she was glad that the beast’s first lunge hadn’t hit its mark.

Talfryn muttered, “We could ask Lord Rakesh about it. Or, better yet, we could talk to Syra. She knows these things.” Kaze nodded in agreement; Syra was an old wolf, about forty seasons, and knew just about everything. As cubs, the siblings liked to think that she did. Her brother spoke up again, his voice even more hesitant than before. “Erm… Kaze, what happened between you and—” He didn’t get to finish; his voice was broken off by his sister’s dark growl as she quickened her pace abruptly.

---

The Fallen Tree was probably the largest organism in the forest. It was a huge, unusually broad sequoia that had fallen down after being struck by lightning. Its branches were mostly broken, but twigs provided a decent material to outline nests. The roots were large and covered up a shadowy, hollowed-out area beneath the tree. Wolf mothers gave birth and raised pups there, and it was also a place to gather during the cold winter or burning summer. It lay in the middle of a large clearing; the wind rustled the expanse of grass where it could force its way past the sheltering, tall, still-standing trees.

Kaze stepped past a few bushes and brambles. Her ears twitched as she saw Auri limping toward the hollow. Her brother kindly ignored her reaction and walked on. Most of the wolves had gotten back from their meal; most were laying out on the grass with each other, eyes closed in contentment. Season-old pups scuffled by the large roots and yapped in excitement as she approached. The two cubs leaping toward her were named Sky and Shade; they were siblings, both black wolves with stunning white around their jaws.

Sky’s blue eyes sparkled with joy. “Hi, Kaze and Tal!” she barked in greeting. She pounced toward her brother, ramming into him. Shade was subordinate even at this stage; he was quiet and didn’t like getting into the tussles his sister had with the other wolf cubs. He frowned slightly and lifted his gaze to meet the dappled wolf’s. The two were perfect twins in appearance, and the only way to tell them apart was by glancing at their eyes. While Sky’s held promise of being blue forever, Shade’s were more of a brown-maroon.

Shade’s eyes trailed over Kaze and stopped at her tail. She kept swaying it as she walked so that no one would notice and fuss about it, but the male pup approached her as he frowned again. “What happened to your tail?” he asked in a more collected voice than his sister.

Kaze swung her tail away self-consciously and looked around. Shade kept staring at her, and she averted her eyes. Wolves didn’t often stare into each other’s eyes for unnecessarily long amounts of time; it was something that provoked a challenge. The pup had a bad habit of doing so anyway, and it made the she-wolf feel uncomfortable. She mumbled, “You’ll hear about it later, Shade.”

“You got into a fight,” he said flatly. “Auri said you were attacked. You don’t seem as hurt as he is, though. I wonder why.” He let his voice trail off and turned his head away. The pup wasn’t very boisterous like his sister, and instead he made the others worry that his voice was nearly devoid of emotion.

“If you already know,” growled Kaze, “then run along and do something.” She nudged Sky, who batted at her muzzle like a young wildcat and sprang off. Her brother followed slowly. The female, head lowered and fur bristling, strode toward a large rock. In its shade curled up a hazy gray she-wolf. Her ears were tipped with black, which was actually a marking among Kaze’s pack. Every wolf had these markings. The grizzled, old she-wolf lifted her head as the two younger ones approached.

“What is it?” she whispered. Her voice was smooth for her old age.
The young female dipped her head in respect and replied, “There has been a fight. As…Auri and I were heading here, a creature attacked us.” She described the peculiar animal and what had happened to them in a quiet voice, her emerald eyes lowered.

Syra frowned. “Foolish cub,” she growled. “I can tell by the hesitance in your voice—not to mention Auri’s—that you have gotten into an argument.” She shook her head. “There is no tolerating it; a pack’s bond holds it together, and I don’t want hunting missions to fail for Tempest Pack because the two best hunters are suddenly enemies.” She cocked her head to the side, her ice brown eyes almost fearful. “I do know what animal it was,” she said after a while.

Talfryn yelped impatiently. “What was it, Syra?”

“A dog,” she murmured. “There was once a creature named Man, who was Storm Wolf’s sibling, created by the Greater Being. Man was jealous of Storm Wolf’s power, so he stole from him his family. He made them his slaves.” She looked up at the sky as if the tale she was speaking of was written there in the clouds. “Man altered their appearance because he felt guilty when he looked into their wolf eyes. He renamed them dogs, but they are still a little like a wolf. Dogs are our brothers and sisters, however far away and tame they are.”

Kaze didn’t know who Man was; Syra had never mentioned him in any legends. “Is Man still there?” she asked, following her gaze toward the sun.

Syra smiled. “The Greater Being loved Man as he loved all of his sons and daughters, though Man was even more special, because the Greater Being saw himself in Man. He was sad that Man’s ancestors were destroying his beautiful creations. The Greater Being even sent Man to stop them and forgive them, but he was betrayed and killed.” She dipped her head to stare at the ground. “The Greater Being took Man’s ancestors and brought those who had done well with him a long time ago. He banished the others to a faraway kingdom ruled by hatred; there are none left on this Earth either way.”

Talfryn nodded. “We need to tell Lord Rakesh about this,” he stated. He was never interested in any legends and believed solely what he could physically see, touch, or hear. “Whether or not it’s a creature of Man, a dog is a threat, and we need to warn him of it.”

Syra rested her head on her muzzle as the tawny wolf padded off, and she turned her eyes to Kaze. She whispered with a smile, “There are many tales, Kaze. Listen to them all, for they are true. Listen to Storm Wolf, to the other gods and goddesses. Keep in mind that each holds a promise as the Greater Being held one to Man.” She growled. “Do you believe Storm Wolf is real?”

Kaze nodded gracefully. “Yes, Syra.”

Syra smiled and closed her eyes again, drifting away into sleep. “Faith, dear cub, faith will insure the promise. Your reasons for being on this Earth are great. Have faith, and all will be revealed to you…” Kaze couldn’t understand what she meant, and she was about to ask, but old Syra was asleep.