Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 02:03 AM
Hoenn Mirror Girl Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via ICQ to Hoenn Mirror Girl Send a message via AIM to Hoenn Mirror Girl Send a message via MSN to Hoenn Mirror Girl Send a message via Yahoo to Hoenn Mirror Girl
Default Fantasy and You

FANTASY AND YOU
By Johto Island Girl

Hello, my friends, and thank you for taking the time to read my guide on fantasy fan fiction. This guide can help you with your stories whether you’re thinking about writing a fantasy fan fiction or currently in the process of writing one, but there are some areas that can be applied in fan fiction in general.

STEP 1: Plan for Your Fic
First off, figure out what type of fan fic you’re going for. Since this guide is about fantasy fan fiction, let’s go for that. Now, think about what comes to your mind when you hear the word fantasy. For one, fantasy might mean fairy tales and various spin-offs of them. For another, it may mean someone have supernatural powers or being part animal (Pokemon in this case). Perhaps it may mean a combination of the two to you or something totally different. Whatever the case, use what you know (and maybe seen and/or heard) about fantasy.

STEP 2: Set it Up
Now that you’ve got your plan, it’s time to set it up. First, choose a time and setting for your story. By time and setting, when and where will your story take place? A lot of fantasies take place in medieval times, but some people managed to use the good old 20th century for their fantasy.

After the time and setting, it’s time to think of some characters. You should spend a lot of time on the main character. It’s not a good idea to have him/her totally perfect and invincible to the point that he/she makes the story totally boring and pointless. Give him/her some weaknesses as well as some strengths, but make sure that they are balanced out well. Aside from the main character, think of some friends for him/her as well as some rivals/enemies. Give them some strengths and weaknesses as well.

Last but definitely not least is the plot. Be creative with this one. Since we’re dealing with fantasy, the plot is expected to be out of the ordinary. Think of something around those lines, and make it totally unpredictable if possible.

EXAMPLE
Ariel and her Togepi, Prickish, were shopping at the marketplace one day. All was normal until Prickish sees a basket full of candy in the middle of the road. Prickish ate a few of the candy until Ariel scolded the Spike Ball Pokemon for taking something that doesn’t belong to it. In the basket was a note that mentioned something about a party, but when Ariel attempted to read the small poorly written text at the bottom of the note, a gate suddenly appears out of thin air. Before she could figure out what happened, Prickish heads toward the gate with Ariel in hot pursuit.

Yeah, it sounds really strange, but that’s how fantasy is at times.

STEP 3: Get the Show on the Road!
We’ve got the setting, time, characters, and plot… Everything’s ready for our story! The question, now, is how to write it? There are basically three ways you can do this:

FIRST PERSON STORY FORMAT
Here, the main character explains events that are currently being encountered and witnessed. This is very popular in fan fiction these days because the author (as well as their readers) can imagine himself/herself in the current situation.

EXAMPLE
“Charizard, finish it with Fire Punch!” The old woman yelled. The orange dragon Pokemon growls and heads down toward Tony’s Chikorita. I felt a trickle of sweat drift down my forehead and my heart beating at twice its normal speed as I saw bright flames of red, yellow, and orange surround Charizard’s fist.

As I watched the fear and tension grow in my partner and his Chikorita’s eyes, I felt sick. Being a total beginner in a tournament he was obligated to participate in was tough enough for him, but the fact that he was at a total disadvantage against a Charizard and I couldn’t help him with my powers was twisted in every sense of the word. I hated the rules that Rilue’s father have made even more than I did when I battled one of the lowly servants.

“Tony…” I said under my breath, “This is a great time to prove that you’ve actually learned something.”

Here, the main character expresses her feelings in the current situation, and you’ll automatically know that she’s disgusted and upset that her partner is in a tight spot.

THIRD PERSON STORY FORMAT
Otherwise known as the “all-seeing point of view”, this mode does just that: talks about all the characters and the events that they encounter.

EXAMPLE
“Charizard, finish it with Fire Punch!” The old woman yelled. The orange dragon Pokemon growls and heads down toward Tony’s Chikorita. Bianca felt a trickle of sweat drift down her forehead and her heart beating at twice its normal speed as she saw bright flames of red, yellow, and orange surround Charizard’s fist.

As Bianca watched the fear and tension grow in her partner and his Chikorita’s eyes, she felt sick. Being a total beginner in a tournament he was obligated to participate in was tough enough for him, but the fact that he was at a total disadvantage against a Charizard and Bianca couldn’t help him with her powers was twisted in every sense of the word. She hated the rules that Rilue’s father have made even more than she did when she battled one of the lowly servants.

“Tony…” Bianca said under her breath, “This is a great time to prove that you’ve actually learned something.”

Same thing as above, but now the main character isn’t speaking.

SCRIPT FORMAT
Perhaps the most looked down upon of the three, the script format is done like a TV transcript. Because of this, all stories written this way have a high chance of being lost and forgotten. However, it is possible to make it where a story written in this format worthwhile to read. Also, this format is handy for those who like to use colors in their text because each character’s line can be identified by a certain color.

EXAMPLE
WOMAN: Charizard, finish it with Fire Punch!
(Charizard growls and dives down toward Chikorita. Switch to Bianca)
BIANCA: Tony… This is a great time to prove that you’ve actually learned something.

You’ll probably notice that a chunk of the scene was omitted. You don’t really know how Bianca or Tony felt. If you WANT to use this particular format, try using a bit of description.

Well, that’s all I have for a lesson on being a fantasy writer. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope I improved your writing.