Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 04-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: No Fun on Sundays?

For one thing, I try to enjoy my Sundays, I do spend that time for myself and try to enjoy it as long as I can. Like Twisted Treecko said, that day is meant for relaxing. Sure, there are some people who need to work but they can't help it. Everyone should have that day off, but then again we live in a whole new society compared to those 2000 years ago.

On another note, I've stopped going to church ever since they lied to everyone regarding the scandals. I don't believe they can accurately represent the word of God after something like that, so pretty much everything that comes from the pope is likely to be ignored, at least by me anyway. Whether someone else chooses to listen, that's their decision.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:33 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam

I think that this papal statement is both being taken out of context, and blown out of proportion.

First of all, there is a specific reason for this comment to have been made. In many European countries, pretty much everything shuts down for soccer games. Businesses close, stores shut down, and a good number of people skip out on mass.

I don't think the pope wants us to sit around all day and pray on Sundays...he is pretty libral, actually, as far as popes go.

And Neo, I've just got to say that I think it's horrible and depressing that some people's faith is so weak as to be broken by a scandal. Do you really think that all priest molest children? Of course not; as usual, the media has blown this out of proportion. Religion is an understanding of something greater than us, so why would we toss it aside as crap in response to human mistakes?

In case there's anyone here who doesn't know, I am a devout Catholic.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

It's not just this scandal, all throughout history the church as made so many horrible mistakes. Look at Joan of Arc. The chruch MURDERED her and then only hundreds of years later did they just shrug it off and then say they goofed up. But they've been doing crap like this over and over again. Not just the sex scandals, but with so many other mistakes. If they failed to believe, then how can they expect people to believe in them?

How does the pope think he can just throw something like this in front of everyone's face and expect everyone to just drop everything and do it? The people are losing their trust in the Catholic church, it isn't just me. We may have forgiven, but we haven't forgotten. I believe this was the straw that broke the camel's back for many people. If the chruch really wants to make an impact and keep the faith of the people, they'd better start putting them first and not expect them to just obey. That's not going to happen anymore...

Old 04-20-2004, 02:04 AM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu
It's not just this scandal, all throughout history the church as made so many horrible mistakes. Look at Joan of Arc. The chruch MURDERED her and then only hundreds of years later did they just shrug it off and then say they goofed up. But they've been doing crap like this over and over again. Not just the sex scandals, but with so many other mistakes. If they failed to believe, then how can they expect people to believe in them?

How does the pope think he can just throw something like this in front of everyone's face and expect everyone to just drop everything and do it? The people are losing their trust in the Catholic church, it isn't just me. We may have forgiven, but we haven't forgotten. I believe this was the straw that broke the camel's back for many people. If the chruch really wants to make an impact and keep the faith of the people, they'd better start putting them first and not expect them to just obey. That's not going to happen anymore...
It's true that the Catholic Church is far from perfect, but that doesn't gainsay or take away from the beliefs that they have and continue to instill within the hearts of the faithful. IMO, I think that you're concentrating too much on the clergy itself...the Church is a group of men, nothing more. They are, of course, fallible, as they have extensively proven to us over the years, but I think that you're stereotyping.

Years ago, priests, along with the higher-ups in the church, served the government (or served AS government), and did their best to keep the people under their thumb. I'd like to think that the Church has come a long way from those dark days, and I'd also like to think that priests have more benevolent intents in these modern days (and, no, I don't think that the sex scandal should forever tarnish the entire profession of priesthood)

The higher-ups in the Catholic Church, as is true with many 'executive' human groups (governments, corperations, etc.) are conservative. Very conservative. They want things to stay the way they are, without thinking about how it may augment the current situation. There are a few in every crowd, and unfortunately, they are the ones in power in many groups...but don't let this make you believe that their extreme beliefs are representitive of the Catholics as a whole. I can say with a good degree of confidence that it is not.

Quote:
If they failed to believe, then how can they expect people to believe in them?
They failed to believe? Who did? They thought what they were doing was right (referring to ancient mistakes-Crusades, Joan of Arc, etc.). Whlie I don't support them or support those actions, I don't think it's rational to hold present clegrymen accountable for mistakes of men long dead and buried.

Furthermore, who can you not believe in? The Pope for a conservative statement about being pious on the Sabbath? Every priest in the US for the mistakes of a few? As long as you have faith in God, I don't see why you would feel the need to leave the church. Faith in the Lord is what's important...you can condone the actions of the hierarchy of the church and still subscribe to their doctrines. I do.

Also, allow me to offer you two parallels which I think are quite powerful:

Parallel #1: Joan of Arc The situation of Joan of Arc can be likened to that of the execution of Jesus Christ. Joan of Arc was executed because the conservative Catholic bishops couldn't believe that she was being spoken to by her patron saint. The Jewish High Priests of Jerusalem were put in a similar situation. With their conservative views, they refused to believe that Jesus was the Son of Man. So, both Joan and Jesus were killed. You say that you hold the death of Joan of Arc against the Catholic Church...would it not be logical then for you to hold Jesus's death against the Jews and be quite anti-semitic?

Parallel #2: A Fallible, conservative hierarchy I can think of no better group that is similar to the Catholic Church than the current Bush administration of the United States Federal Government. Would you hate America and leave the country because you don't like how the government isrun? I would hope not.

In conclusion, I am simply reminding you that it is the teachings of Jesus and faith in our Lord that is the backbone of Catholicism, not absolute fidelity towards the clergy. I condone most of the actions of the Church, but the goodness in their doctrines and of our fellow Catholics spurs me on. I hope that you may seriously consider this before throwing away your faith.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:19 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

First off, I would never throw away my Catholic faith, regardless of what happens. I've believed in Jesus and God my whole life, and that isn't going to change.

What I'm stressing is that I've stopped going to church because of what the chruch has done, but that doesn't mean I've given up believing in God. You bring up some good points, yes, I shouldn't blame all priests and clergymen since the actions of a few shouldn't impact the church as a whole, and I shouldn't blame the past mistakes of others on those who had no control over it. I would like it more if the church was more honest about it. I've seen priests that have abused children just relocated to other parishes, which isn't right either. Even the bishop of our parish was involved with this, and I just couldn't show my face around there while knowing that.

If the chruch can honestly stop doing this and outright apologize for what they have done, then I could say that they made a mistake but at least they're sorry about it. But they haven't even done that. How can I be expected to forgive them if they do something like that?

If they can be honest about the wrongs they have done and take action to stress that they are sorry about it, then I might go back. But if they can't even do that, then they shouldn't expect anything from me.

Old 05-09-2004, 04:50 AM
Lord Mullet Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Lord Mullet

Mark 2:27-28
And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Matthew 12:10-13
And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other.

Luke 13:10-17
And he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath.
And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself.
And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity.
And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God.
And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day.
The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering?
And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?
And when he had said these things, all his adversaries were ashamed: and all the people rejoiced for all the glorious things that were done by him.

Do whatever you want on Sunday. It's in the bible.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:04 AM
Nefarious Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Send a message via AIM to Nefarious

I thought you all would find this interesting. I am a Jehovah's Wittness (wich is a christian) and we learn a lot about god and stuff. Did you know that god has a name? If you click on the link below my sig, you can find all kinds of information about god and christian religeon. Not only that but it also has a lot of other information too. Like about animals. I go to church too only we call church meetings. and it is a lot like church only different. But we get magezines and stuff and some have a lot of good info. That is what this website has. I hope my religeon has nothing to do with people liking me or not tho. I hope to be hopefully everbody's friend on the forum.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:15 AM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco

Okay... this time you and Lord Mullet have revived an old thread...

So true Lord Mullet. Not to get off topic but the (and no offense) catholic community is twisting the rights of priests rights and lives. That's why the pope believes in that becuase he believes it's right...
Old 05-19-2004, 02:37 AM
Nefarious Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Send a message via AIM to Nefarious

Welll I guess i have to look how old a thread is from now on.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Ironshell Blastoise Offline

Send a message via AIM to Ironshell Blastoise Send a message via MSN to Ironshell Blastoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Luddico
The pope is stupid. We need to relax mostly us kids because we never have anytime to ourselves. Sure we need to have god in our life but we need to have a life to begin with. I don't think that god wants anyone to be uptight for thier entire life.
Its called religion, not relaxation.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:30 PM
Syas Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Syas Send a message via Yahoo to Syas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazam
It's true that the Catholic Church is far from perfect, but that doesn't gainsay or take away from the beliefs that they have and continue to instill within the hearts of the faithful. IMO, I think that you're concentrating too much on the clergy itself...the Church is a group of men, nothing more. They are, of course, fallible, as they have extensively proven to us over the years, but I think that you're stereotyping.
I agree that there is too much stereotyping based on the actions of a few. With that out of the way, let me point out that if you are indeed Catholic, then the words and actions of the Pope are infallible.

If the Pope says stand on one foot for the rest of your life, then you either listen or are not Catholic. I hate to be this blunt about it, but Catholicism does not promote free thought, rather it promotes and thrives on blind obedience.

Keep in mind that (according to the Church / Bible) if you have premarital sex, murder, steal, disrespect your parents, covet any of your neighbors things, etc. etc. etc. You are not Catholic until forgiven by God.

To sum up, my point is, if you are Catholic, you need to follow the rules and the Pope. If not, there are various other branches of Christianity that may be more to your liking.

PS - Drop the Child Molestation junk, it has nothing to do with the topic (at least in the context it has been used) whatsoever.

BW Friend Code: 1420 7304 0029
Old 05-27-2004, 11:05 PM
Nohman Offline
Experienced Trainer

Location: This ball of garbage floating in space called Earth...
Send a message via AIM to Nohman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonElite2000
I'm not religious myself, so this doesn't really affect me. But I found this interesting. Catholics out there should listen up.

Basically, the Pope said that Sundays shouldn't be for entertainment or sports, or whatever is fun, it should be a day for God.
"When Sunday loses its fundamental meaning and becomes subordinate to a secular concept of 'weekend' dominated by such things as entertainment and sport, people stay locked within a horizon so narrow that they can no longer see the heavens," the pontiff said in a speech to Australian bishops on Friday. (Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/eu...pe.sport.reut/ )

That's a little extreme I think. I know, people back in the old days respect Sundays more than Catholics do now, but no sports on Sundays? No movies? No TV? No entertainment? I don't see any harm of being faithful and having fun at the same time, aren't we suppose to enjoy life? I don't know, the weekend is already short as it is, I couldn't stand losing my Sunday.

Damn Christians.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:44 AM
Agent Orange Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Agent Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohman

Damn Christians.
Meh, just because you don't believe doesen't mean were Jerks.

Its kinda hard to "Love thy Neighbor" when I hate most of my "Neigbors".

I also relax on Sunday.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Nohman Offline
Experienced Trainer

Location: This ball of garbage floating in space called Earth...
Send a message via AIM to Nohman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Pikachu
Meh, just because you don't believe doesen't mean were Jerks.

Its kinda hard to "Love thy Neighbor" when I hate most of my "Neigbors".

I also relax on Sunday.
Good. Hate them. Just like everyone else in the world, don't give a damn about anyone except yourself.

(no offense to you)