Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Sleepy Sheep Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Default Cats and Dogs:The Backstory

I've been sitting around, bored as heck, and then started thinking for a random reason:What's the deal with cats and dogs?

Why do people think they are so impressive? They're funny, they're cute, but why? I thought they were just animals, like robins and cardinals, and no one makes a big deal when they see them.

And, an old myth faded away through time: Cats and Dogs can predict the weather. I don't see how this got started. Somewhere in ancient Greece, but I don't see where that came from. Cats just prance around, looking for feathers to fiddle with, and dogs barked at cows. Because of this, I think that cats represented the wind and dogs represented thunder, whereas their natural enemiship represented a lightning storm. So that's where the phrase, raining cats and dogs was derived from...?

And finally, whats with those names? All I can think of is that dogs are man's best friend, and we are supposed to rely on God so dog is God spelled backwards...? What do you think?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Clutch Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Clutch
Default Re: Cats and Dogs:The Backstory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpiguno
I've been sitting around, bored as heck, and then started thinking for a random reason:What's the deal with cats and dogs?

Why do people think they are so impressive? They're funny, they're cute, but why? I thought they were just animals, like robins and cardinals, and no one makes a big deal when they see them.

And, an old myth faded away through time: Cats and Dogs can predict the weather. I don't see how this got started. Somewhere in ancient Greece, but I don't see where that came from. Cats just prance around, looking for feathers to fiddle with, and dogs barked at cows. Because of this, I think that cats represented the wind and dogs represented thunder, whereas their natural enemiship represented a lightning storm. So that's where the phrase, raining cats and dogs was derived from...?

And finally, whats with those names? All I can think of is that dogs are man's best friend, and we are supposed to rely on God so dog is God spelled backwards...? What do you think?
(look in bold)

That's why they're the best animal in the world!

Black Ops | K/D: 2.69 | W/L: 2.96
Old 04-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Sleepy Sheep Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

I suppose they are, but still...they leave so many unsolved mysteries.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:01 AM
NightBreaker Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to NightBreaker Send a message via MSN to NightBreaker Send a message via Yahoo to NightBreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpiguno

It was derived from when people began to notice that cats and dogs were in tune with nature and seemed to react strangely before natural events, like earthquakes and tsunamis. In reality, this is just from a certain element that is implanted in the brains of most animals (especially cats and dogs) that is only found in one other place, the core of the Earth. When the tectonic plates shift, the metal in the animal's brain buzzes or hums or something and alerts them of the disaster and where to flee. 75% of the time animals run away from home is before an earthquake or other disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by We the Pichus...
I desperately need a sprite of a Snorlax wearing Lederhosen... don't ask any questions and I want show everybody else that picture... understood
AtraAngel (7:25:45 PM): be conscious that you are speakin to an idiot here
imbackppl (7:25:55 PM): k
imbackppl (7:26:03 PM): QUIZ
imbackppl (7:26:06 PM): Q-U-I-Z
imbackppl (7:26:14 PM): Kwiz
Old 04-22-2006, 09:08 PM
RouteMaster Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBreaker
It was derived from when people began to notice that cats and dogs were in tune with nature and seemed to react strangely before natural events, like earthquakes and tsunamis. In reality, this is just from a certain element that is implanted in the brains of most animals (especially cats and dogs) that is only found in one other place, the core of the Earth. When the tectonic plates shift, the metal in the animal's brain buzzes or hums or something and alerts them of the disaster and where to flee. 75% of the time animals run away from home is before an earthquake or other disaster.
That's very interesting I didn't know that, why I wonder are humans not affected by this? It must be like birds sensing when a storm is approaching, even days away, and heading inland.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:55 AM
!CeMAn Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Send a message via MSN to !CeMAn

Dogs are good for guarding junk yards and stuff, which makes me wonder, wouldn't a #$%ing lion or grizzly bear be better?
Old 04-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Seven Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by !CeMAn
Dogs are good for guarding junk yards and stuff, which makes me wonder, wouldn't a #$%ing lion or grizzly bear be better?
Because they are less predictable / not really trainable / hostile towards all humans?
Old 04-23-2006, 02:49 PM
poochyena girl Offline
Master Trainer

Dogs and cats are one of the most well known animals, to England and America.
Even egyptians used to worship cats. well I simply love dogs and cats. well maybe I like dogs
just a little bit better.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:25 PM
!CeMAn Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Lightbulb Re: Cats and Dogs:The Backstory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven
Because they are less predictable / not really trainable / hostile towards all humans?
Well that's the kind of beast i want guarding my home.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:36 PM
boltAge Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boltAge

Well I'm sure that's also the animal who's going to kill all your guests and tear up your car on your way to the garage.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Rizaado Offline
Elite Trainer

The reason people so love cats and dogs is because they're the most trainable and friendly. If you take a look, a dogs closest realative the wolf: really they wouldn't harm you like dogs wouldn't. Also dogs seem to respond better to the human voice better than any other animal

Banner made by Rizaado
Old 04-23-2006, 04:56 PM
!CeMAn Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltAge
Well I'm sure that's also the animal who's going to kill all your guests and tear up your car on your way to the garage.
I still want one.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:11 AM
NightBreaker Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to NightBreaker Send a message via MSN to NightBreaker Send a message via Yahoo to NightBreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizaado
The reason people so love cats and dogs is because they're the most trainable and friendly. If you take a look, a dogs closest realative the wolf: really they wouldn't harm you like dogs wouldn't. Also dogs seem to respond better to the human voice better than any other animal
Look at the situation carefully. If you approached a completely wild dog, would it let you scratch it behind the ear or pet it? Of course not. It's just the familiarity between the two species, human and dog, that make the dog 'tame'.

There have been many occurences where bears and cougars have been owned by people and are tame. Hey, there was even a lady who owned a lioness in Africa who would tackle every person that she would meet with joy and lick them or something like that. I knew a girl who slept with her pet python in her bed, out in the open. When it gets right down to it, it's just how familiar the animal is to humans, that's what makes them tame.

Another example of this is when dogs chase cats. Very few people in the world raise cats with dogs or vice versa, so both are very secluded against each other. That's why dogs chase them, because they are unfamiliar to them. If you look at other scenes between animal species that doesn't include predator vs prey, you'll see the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker matt
That's very interesting I didn't know that, why I wonder are humans not affected by this?
Because they were never made to be like that. It's another peice of obvious proof that evolution is still nothing but a theory, as Darwin said on his deathbed. If humans evolved from animals, then we would have the same element in our brains, yet we don't. Animals use the element for migration, memorization of territory (among sharks) and other things. I don't see us migrating or fleeing the scene when a natural disaster is about to come, and there isn't even any record of migration of early humans, only their tribes moving to follow the herds they hunted.

Quote:
I desperately need a sprite of a Snorlax wearing Lederhosen... don't ask any questions and I want show everybody else that picture... understood
Old 04-24-2006, 12:39 AM
Zenaku Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Zenaku Send a message via MSN to Zenaku Send a message via Yahoo to Zenaku

Well, NB, you said that dogs and cats abilities was from an element in their brains was it? And it's only found in most animals? Sounds like there might be uite a few animal species with little of this element, or even none at all. Considering we humans are nothing more than animals with a more developed set of vocal cords and object-manipulation-devices (hands), and the fact that the element quantity differs from species to species, it can hardly be used as a counter for the theory of evolution. But, we're not here to discuss such theories.

Anyway... Out of all the animals in the world, dogs and cats are the most easily obtainable for an ordinary household. While birds, fish and other species are also suitable, people prefer dogs and cats as they can cuddle them, sleep with them, etc, without killing, maiming, or otherwise squashing them into a whole mess of red goo, or whatever colour the animals blood is.

Wolves, lions, bears and other animals can be tamed, but aren't easy to obtain to begin with, let alone obtaining a licence to own one. As such, most people but a dog or cat, especially for their children. It's just a natural thing to do.

Oh, and if anyone's wondering, I'll be planning to get a wolf whenever I move out. I like them better than dogs; they're much closer when it comes to forming a community.

As long as we continue to fight, and destroy, we are forever prisoners of our ignorance and foolishness; true 'freedom' does not exist
Old 04-29-2006, 02:39 PM
NightBreaker Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenaku
Well, NB, you said that dogs and cats abilities was from an element in their brains was it? And it's only found in most animals? Sounds like there might be uite a few animal species with little of this element, or even none at all. Considering we humans are nothing more than animals with a more developed set of vocal cords and object-manipulation-devices (hands), and the fact that the element quantity differs from species to species, it can hardly be used as a counter for the theory of evolution. But, we're not here to discuss such theories.

Anyway... Out of all the animals in the world, dogs and cats are the most easily obtainable for an ordinary household. While birds, fish and other species are also suitable, people prefer dogs and cats as they can cuddle them, sleep with them, etc, without killing, maiming, or otherwise squashing them into a whole mess of red goo, or whatever colour the animals blood is.

Wolves, lions, bears and other animals can be tamed, but aren't easy to obtain to begin with, let alone obtaining a licence to own one. As such, most people but a dog or cat, especially for their children. It's just a natural thing to do.

Oh, and if anyone's wondering, I'll be planning to get a wolf whenever I move out. I like them better than dogs; they're much closer when it comes to forming a community.
I guess I was outsmarted by my own post. Well, that's me being an idiot again.

Cool, you're getting a wolf. I love wolves. I bet you'd be sad to hear that when we were at Yellowstone last year, we saw in the newspaper there that they were planning to kill most of the gray wolf population since they were endangering the elk population.

Quote: