Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:29 AM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers
Default Music-- worse as it progresses?

Started with classical music long ago, to jazz, then rock, to rock and roll, to disco, to r&b, country, then finally rap which leads to the future of ganster music. this mostly pertains to the rap music. the language, the content... based on gangsterhood. this type of music has hard influence on children. come on, you see the Bratz dolls with hip teens clothing for little girls.
each type of music played for the time it was the 'thing'.

classical- orderly
jazz- lay back
rock- start of chaos
rock and roll- teens separate from parents
disco- this whole era is weird
r&b- entertainment industry get to younger audience
modern rock- drug use in songs
rap- gangsters with money take over music

the music sets the tone for that time in history and since I am saying that music gets worse as it progresses, then what can be worse than rap?

discuss.

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 04-26-2004, 02:40 AM
Shael Offline
Master Trainer

Default Re: Music-- worse as it progresses?

I really don't think anything can be worse than rap... Well except for whatever stuff Slipknot does. I think it's called metal or something.

And I completely agree with you. Especially with the gangster rapper stuff. I mean, people probably wouldn't listen to a rapper that is a computer science engineer because it isn't "cool" enough (sorry, can't think of better example without discriminating). They need those "ghetto" people that have 306820495 piercings, 39468719378492875 tatoos, those 8347568173 ton chains, pants that are halfway down the legs, you know the drill. I can't think of one rapper (probably because of my limited knowledge on modern "music") that isn't "cool."

In my opinion, "cool" = stupid. And rap isn't music. If it is, it's just barely.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=music

And what's up with those bands that play music so loud they have to shout for you to hear the words?

Here's a quote:
"Do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable or am I miserable because listen to pop music?"
~John Cusack

IMO most pop is OK. The lyrics usually mean something, and it actually has a musical melody. Not just noise. This would definitely be my all time favorite quote if pop was replaced with rap or those other kinds of cheese.

Actually, now that I think of it, it's not really rap or whatever that bugs me. It's how people refer to it as music. I mean, people do stupid stuff all the time, so rapping is OK. But when people do stupid stuff, they don't call it doing something good. That's why rapping should not be classified as music.

I could go on for hours, but I'm gonna stop before I offend somebody (even though I probably already have). =/

Last edited by Shael; 04-26-2004 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:32 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

I don't think it gets worst as the people who are making music are getting worst. Let's begin our timeline of hip hop:

We begin with Mystro (a largely unpopular Christian hiphop artist). He has some deep lyrics mixed with the usual rap stuff. When you listen to him, you're thinking and it can have an impact.

Our next guest is quite a skip (like a couple of years): Dr. Dre (Jay Z and others like them). Those guys begin the ganster rap as you know it, but only as a transition.

Now: Eminem and D12. When the songs are "purple pills" and "My Band", you have a problem.

I don't think it's a degeneration of music in itself that it is a degeneration of any category of music. I mean, early classical music beats any modern classical music ANY DAY. I play all of them in piano...

Pop also has degenerated with little left:

We start with Mariah Carey and "Hero". Then the burst of cute blondes signal the degeneration of Pop Music. Again, we can observe this with Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera (more so with Aguilera, who holds one of my favourite pop songs of ALL time...known a "Reflection"). Enough said. Of course, pop music is the most broad category, there are still good stuff out there, like Michelle Branch.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:03 AM
art Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to art Send a message via MSN to art

Again, I must point out that not all rap is bad. gangsterrap sucks, you're right there, but everyone seems to think that rap and hiphop and gangsterrap is the same thing. I personally like stuff like Sage Francis. another thing: How come people ALWAYS complain about rap, but raplisteners never complain about metal, techno, pop, stuff like that? seems odd to me..

miyavi is the hotness
Old 04-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

I honestly don't believe that the kind of music a person listens to affects their daily life, for the most part. I listen to techno and a little bit of metal all the time, and it doesn't affect anything. If people who are in a stage of desperateness, they'll be willing to listen to anything and just accept whatever they hear.

If it isn't from music, then they'll get it from television, movies or magazines. I don't think anyone's life is dramatically changed because of music, it can only be changed if they want it to be changed, and out of all the possibilities they have seen, they will choose whice one has the most influence over them.

Has music gotten worse? Without a doubt yes, for some of the music that is accepted today wouldn't have ever reached the shelves many years ago. I have seen lyrics from metal bands and most of them are alarmingly satanic. However, there are millions of people who can listen to that and it wouldn't affect their daily lives, while others will begin to soak up the culture and have it affect the way they dress and behave. They believe this is the only solution since the world around them is only offering them pressure and problems. However, these sort of people are rare, and the reason for this is they're the only people who have been seeking a solution to their daily problems but have been unable to find one.

Old 05-03-2004, 05:44 AM
Steven Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Steven

Definitely getting worse...

I mean all rap songs are just some lousy guy who is just talking, not even singing, he's just talking while the SAME EXACT SEVEN NOTES GO BY OVER AND OVER... It's pathetic and stupid. I mean give me a break...

I mean how can rap be a music at all? It's just talking with some music... I just hate it so much.. it's just so annoying.. I mean can't they get a real job?
Old 05-09-2004, 04:41 AM
Lord Mullet Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Lord Mullet

Rap isn't really meant to be music. Rappers aren't trying to sing, they're trying to...uh...do the rap equivalent of singing. Also, rap is not the same as hiphop. Rap is merely a type of hiphop, just as metal, glam and grunge are types of rock. Hiphop is sung, and has music.
Oh, and lil_leprechaun, R&B came before rock. People like the Mamas and the Papas, etc. and that quickly evolved into Rock
Old 05-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Kan Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mullet
Rap isn't really meant to be music. Rappers aren't trying to sing, they're trying to...uh...do the rap equivalent of singing. Also, rap is not the same as hiphop. Rap is merely a type of hiphop, just as metal, glam and grunge are types of rock. Hiphop is sung, and has music.
Actually, hip-hop is the lifestyle, not an entirely different music style.

Same old, stale arguement. Everyone trashes rap for degenerating the music industry's quality, then goes and listens to Britney moan and writhe. Pop music is pop music, plain and simple; record execs are just catering to different needs to make money. There are a lot of rappers out there who ARE making a statement and ARE making a difference...but the one's who get noticed are in it for the money/fame. Pop rappers don't want to delve into deeper subjects either because they don't have the talent (sadly untrue for some promising stars who are squandering their literacy), or they just don't want to lose their pop appeal. The reason most commercial rap is crap these days? Because it sells. It's the same reason for Britney and Madonna and Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park and Nelly Furtado and about a billion other crap artists: they're selling their image, not necessarily their talent. Rappers just happen to cater to a black audience who has that lifestyle, supposed or not.

*prepares to recieve flames from LP defenders... *
Old 05-15-2004, 02:20 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

*Ish preparing to censor the flames*

Anyway, I agree that hiphop is more of a black-catered type of music, but I feel that it is a sort of music nonetheless. I personally don't take offense to it, and I feel that the pop versions of hiphop has been the popular ones. The artists (e.g. Mystero) who are making a difference aren't getting the attention they need. So they usually have to resort back to the pop style. Degeneration of music, it is.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:50 AM
Agent Orange Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Agent Orange

I definately think rap is getting worse.

In a new music video by nelly, he did the followiing:

1. Swipe a credit card through a womens backside.
  2. Throw money between womes legs.
  3. It showed scenes of....err....women doing...err....bad..things to each other.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:00 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Pikachu
I definately think rap is getting worse.

In a new music video by nelly, he did the followiing:

1. Swipe a credit card through a womens backside.
  2. Throw money between womes legs.
  3. It showed scenes of....err....women doing...err....bad..things to each other.
Or how abotu 50 Cent shooting 9 people in a single video? Violence and women (might I add hot women) have become like a commodity these days with hiphop in general. I'm saying that new Mystro song got enough airplay to promote a big zero. Almost nobody has heard of it (and people DO dismiss Christian hiphop artists). I mean, MTV or much can at least push the song a little higher to give it some more airplay. Although it's not going to do anything in the short run (they'll be losing money), it MIGHT encourage more healthy lyrics in the future. Nope, not going to happen. We're going to be stuck with Eminem slapping women, 50 Cent and his Pimping, Dre putting cash in women's bras, etc. Even pop music we have Britney (I hate her, I consider her to be a disgrace to the real "Blonde Pop" girls like Mandy Moore) moaning and groaning, along with Christina Aguilera going all out on the sex (tho she's better, since she does have SOME good stuff in her repitoire). Heck, rock music's having a like Matthew good Band going "X-Rated". Again, I hate degeneration (and we don't get enough Do As Infinitys, Michelle Branches, Mystros, Radioheads, etc. to regenerate what's left of the good in any music).

And yes, Radiohead IS art whereas Do As Infinity IS Entertainment art.