Originally Posted by Tyranitar_Trainer
man-made products that serve no true survival purpose.
Yeah. Take insulin, for example. That was discovered through animal testing: no survival value at all. Those diabetics are just a bunch of wusses.
Seriously, though, to quote one of the websites I visited,"without animal research...most of the nation's 130,000 insulin-dependent diabetics wouldn't be insulin-dependent. They would be dead."
In addition to insulin,
- the smallpox vaccine
- the polio vaccine
- many, if not all, antibiotics
- radiotherapy and chemotherapy for cancer sufferers
- the heart lung machine that made open heart surgery possible
- coronary bypass operations
- heart transplants
- immunosuppressive drugs for transplant patients
- beta-blocking drugs
- the kidney machine
- kidney transplants
- modern research on Alzheimer's disease
- much of modern knowledge about epilepsy
- many drugs used on animals
- treatment for distemper in dogs
- modern advancements in gene therapy for cystic fibrosis
- understanding of multiple sclerosis
- phototherapy, which saves 7,500 newborns from cerebral palsy annually
- the rubella vaccine
- hip replacement surgery
- cataract surgery
- stroke and head injury rehabilitation techniques
- medications that help keep HIV under control
- our modern understanding of schizophrenia
- modern techniques for helping hearing-impaired people
are all around solely because of the important research done on animals. I can understand your 'illegal to the highest degree' position if you are ignorant of this, but to know these things and demand the outlawing of animal research is, in my opinion, abhorrent.