Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso
Default Having trouble understanding the EV FAQ!

Ok on the EV FAQ it says that you can use the drugs on pokemon. It also says you can use up to 10 on each category. Well I started using the drugs on one of my pokemon. It let me use up to 9 Carbos, 4 Irons, and 1 HP(on the other categories it seemed they were already full). But then I redid it by starting on the HP and it let me use up to 3 drugs on HP, 4 Irons and then less than 9 with Carbos(don't remember the exact number) What's up with that?
Go to the Anime section

Old 02-21-2006, 07:44 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to mlugia Send a message via MSN to mlugia
Default Re: Having trouble understanding the EV FAQ!

Your EV total must be less or equal to 510. Also, your individual EV per stat must be sub-100 as well.

Given this information, notice that you added only 1 HP up the first time round, but 3 the second. The extra 20 EVs likely took you to 510 EVs, and so you cannot use any more Carbros to increase it. If you talk to the effort lady in Slateport, I'm sure she'd give an effort ribbon to that pokemon.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Alonso Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlugia
Your EV total must be less or equal to 510. Also, your individual EV per stat must be sub-100 as well.

Given this information, notice that you added only 1 HP up the first time round, but 3 the second. The extra 20 EVs likely took you to 510 EVs, and so you cannot use any more Carbros to increase it. If you talk to the effort lady in Slateport, I'm sure she'd give an effort ribbon to that pokemon.
Then what is the point of EV training if in the end you get 510 effort points.
Go to the Anime section

Old 02-21-2006, 08:29 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to mlugia Send a message via MSN to mlugia

So that you can control where these EVs go.

If you randomly trained Snorlax on stuff like, say... Alakazams, you might get good experience, but also absolutely pointless EVs in spA. Taking away from the 510, you might take away 100EVs and stick them in SpA, a stat you absolutely have no need for. In the meantime, had you stuck them in Attack, or HP, you'd have ended up with 25 extra points in either of the stats, or a combination of both to sum to 25. I'd rather my Lax have 500 HP and say 80 spA, than 475 HP and 105 spA.

EV training is to be done asap, once you battle w/ that pokemon, you've more or less ruined your chance to EV train, unless you have an abundance of the EV down berries.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

Also note that each stat can have up to 252 EV points in it (the actual limit is 255 but those last three points won't dp any good since it takes four points to get an increase in any stat). Using drugs lets you put anywhere from 10-100 EV's into one stat so long as it has less than 100 to begin with. That's why you can use ten drugs to fill up five stats and then only one to fill up the last, because of the 510 EV point limit. However, if say you have 30 EV points in one stat, you'd only be able to use seven drugs to increse that particular one. Another thing to remember is that you can max out a Mon's stat(s) with drugs, then EV train it farther. Just remember, each stat can only have a total of 252 EV points, and each Mon has a total of 510 to be distributed.

Try checking out Serebii's EV section, it's very easy to understand and lists how many EV points you get from each Pokemon, as every Mon you fight will give you 1-3 EV points. However, he's an example. Say you want to raise a Para-Traction Jolteon:

Jolteon:
Thunder Wave/Thunder Bolt/Agility/Attract
EV's: 252 in Speed, 252 in Special Attack, rest in HP

or:

Jolteon:
TW/T-Bolt/Attract/Agility
EV's: 252 in Speed, 152 in Special Attack, 50 in HP, rest in Defense

Of course these aren't at all the best M-Sets or EV spreads for a Jolteon, but hopefully you get the idea of how EV's work.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 02-22-2006, 12:45 AM
Alonso Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranitar_Trainer
Also note that each stat can have up to 252 EV points in it (the actual limit is 255 but those last three points won't dp any good since it takes four points to get an increase in any stat). Using drugs lets you put anywhere from 10-100 EV's into one stat so long as it has less than 100 to begin with. That's why you can use ten drugs to fill up five stats and then only one to fill up the last, because of the 510 EV point limit. However, if say you have 30 EV points in one stat, you'd only be able to use seven drugs to increse that particular one. Another thing to remember is that you can max out a Mon's stat(s) with drugs, then EV train it farther. Just remember, each stat can only have a total of 252 EV points, and each Mon has a total of 510 to be distributed.

Try checking out Serebii's EV section, it's very easy to understand and lists how many EV points you get from each Pokemon, as every Mon you fight will give you 1-3 EV points. However, he's an example. Say you want to raise a Para-Traction Jolteon:

Jolteon:
Thunder Wave/Thunder Bolt/Agility/Attract
EV's: 252 in Speed, 252 in Special Attack, rest in HP

or:

Jolteon:
TW/T-Bolt/Attract/Agility
EV's: 252 in Speed, 152 in Special Attack, 50 in HP, rest in Defense

Of course these aren't at all the best M-Sets or EV spreads for a Jolteon, but hopefully you get the idea of how EV's work.
ok now that i kind of get it, give me an example of what stats should i try to EV train on a metagross.
Go to the Anime section

Old 02-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

Well, I don't often use Metagross, so I can't tell you a good EV spread. Perhaps you should make a thread asking for a good M-Set and EV spread for it? Or I'm sure someone might post an EV spread here, since you've asked and all. Sorry I couldn't be of more help .

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 02-22-2006, 07:10 PM
bleep Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to bleep

you may have already had some EVs on it to begin with.

joinmyforumjoinmyforumjoinmyforumjoinmyforum
Oh yes. With over 1000 members and 70,000 posts, who could resist?

Want a team?
Check out this thread!, or go to my forum if you want one faster