Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling

Competitive Battling This board is for competitive battling discussion. Get team help or learn to play competitively.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:13 AM
mnementh21 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Question EV train or evolve first? + New teammates

Does it really make a difference whether you evolve a trade-evolution pokemon at lvl 5 before ev training or EV train it first and then evolve?

I was just wondering because I'm starting a Scizor and I've already got my Scyther bred and ready and I didn't want to mess him up by evolving too late or too soon.

Also, these are my three new in-game pokes:

Scizor @ Some item
Adamant nature (+Atk, -Satk)
EV's: 80 Hp / 252 Atk / 44 Def/ 132 Spd
- Agility
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Reversal

Heracross @ Choice Band
EV's: 6 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Megahorn
- Brick Break
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Zangoose @ Some item
EV's: 6 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Return
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Brick Break

I'm open to criticism, but keep in mind that these guys are all intended to be used at seperate times in-game at the Battle Frontier.

Trainer Card self constructed
Old 02-17-2006, 12:46 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to mlugia Send a message via MSN to mlugia
Default Re: EV train or evolve first? + New teammates

No, there's absolutely no difference in the final result, as long as the evolution of the pokemon does not require fighting random pokemon for exp (which in this case, Scyther does fall under the criteria). By all means, evolve and ev train.

With Scyther, it you have a Salac berry, you could use that over Agility, opening a slot for Return or Silver Wind or something.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Loyal Arcanine Offline

Send a message via AIM to Loyal Arcanine

I suggest you take a bulky water-type over either Scizor or Zangoose, since bulky waters usually can take a hit while attack (not hard-hitting though) special too.

I'm not too sure about Reversal as Scizor's only damaging move, unless it would have been a BP'er.

"gengar is a fart" imsocorn (4:08:55): Is that your way of saying "and not a single **** was given that day" ?

Old 02-17-2006, 04:26 PM
mnementh21 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal Arcanine
I suggest you take a bulky water-type over either Scizor or Zangoose, since bulky waters usually can take a hit while attack (not hard-hitting though) special too.

I'm not too sure about Reversal as Scizor's only damaging move, unless it would have been a BP'er.
I have a Swampert in my stash of Battle Frontier pokemon, the ones listed here are just additions to my arsenal.

And I don't like BP Scizor because he can't take anything down, he's like a martyr Scizor is one of my favorite pokemon and I wanted to see him OHKO'ing stuff .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlugia
No, there's absolutely no difference in the final result, as long as the evolution of the pokemon does not require fighting random pokemon for exp (which in this case, Scyther does fall under the criteria). By all means, evolve and ev train.

With Scyther, it you have a Salac berry, you could use that over Agility, opening a slot for Return or Silver Wind or something.
Ok, so I guess I'll evolve Scyther first and I don't have access to a Salac Berry 'cause I don't have Colosseum, or a way to get Jirachi and I have a crappy R/S Battle Tower Team Should I take out the 44 Def EV's and put them in speed, since Scizor will have decent defense anyway? Or will that not make enough of a difference for him to outrun stuff like Crobat? I do like the idea of him having more than one damaging move, like Arcanine said...

Old 02-17-2006, 09:16 PM
shewi Offline
New Trainer

You could put in agility instead of sword dance and use a leichi berry, but it's such a rare berry yet it is accessable in-game. It's annoying that when scyther evolves it sacrifices speed for attack and defence.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:29 PM
mnementh21 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shewi
You could put in agility instead of sword dance and use a leichi berry, but it's such a rare berry yet it is accessable in-game. It's annoying that when scyther evolves it sacrifices speed for attack and defence.

Do you think I should take out the def EV's on him and put them in speed?

Old 02-17-2006, 09:50 PM
shewi Offline
New Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnementh21
Do you think I should take out the def EV's on him and put them in speed?
no, most other people use a lot of speed evs with their sweepers, scizor would fall to kazams fire punch easily, so there's no point. just switch if you see so much as an ember.
It's a pity you can't get a salac berry, it's perfect for Scizor.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:04 PM
mnementh21 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Remember, these guys are in-game, so I don't have to worry about other people