Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Art Boards

Art Boards Art boards for both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related art.

View Poll Results: Which Starter Would You Pick?
Bushewe 6 23.08%
Flameow 8 30.77%
Raptide 12 46.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 PM
Obliveon Offline

Default Re: Mara Region [Fakedex and other stuff]

UPDATE! Prof. Thornwood Concept added!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:48 PM
SuperUltraZekrom Offline

Oh my god. I love the size of his stache. XD

Derp

MY VPP:

Level 100: 1568
Old 06-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Obliveon Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUltraZekrom View Post
Oh my god. I love the size of his stache. XD
XD It reflects his eccentric personality.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Obliveon Offline

If you would like to further support Pokémon and my Fakemon Region, please visit the PokeHunngry Community Forums and list Obliveon as your referrer!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Kecleonfan666 Offline

Send a message via AIM to Kecleonfan666

I'm going to critique some of your designs, and also draw attention to something I noticed while browsing your fakedex; it seems like you have gotten a lot of "inspiration" from another project, Pokemon Acanthite. In particular, the Pokemon that they have crafted appear to have some congruities with yours. Their pokedex can be viewed here. If somebody else has already posted about this, or you are in some way affiliated with them, or I've just overlooked something (because I only read the first few pages), then I apologize.

I will say that I do like the grass and fire starter lines (especially the grass types, although they are a lot like the new grass/goat Pokemon in the 6'th generation, but you probably made yours before Gogoat and whatever it was were public, so I'll let you off on that count), and the names that you have picked out for many of these are pretty clever, so I'll praise you for that. However, the water starters are a bit suspect. Take a look at the water starter from Acanthite, No. 500 in their pokedex. The name and concept are both pretty similar from what I can see.

The Flying/Ghost types don't sit well with me. They're dark colored birds with a skull and crossbones on their chest. If anything, they should be Flying/Dark, since they don't seem to bear any features suggestive of a ghost-type. Maybe you thought the color scheme would be enough to justify that typing, but if we were to go by that logic, Corphish should be a Fire-type, and Lugia would be a Water-type.

Also, your new type, the "cyber" type, is also pretty similar to the "Virus" type that Acanthite uses. Obviously both are man-made types, and are based on computers and such things.

The Glimmy line also seems to be adapted from the Halove line of Acanthite's.

Wallapby also draws my concern. It is a fighting type based on a kangaroo (which, granted, is a concept that I've seen in several Fakemon, not just those made by Acanthite), and the name is almost identical to Wallopy, the first in its evolution line (also a fighting-type kangaroo).

Some of these Pokemon, on the other hand, feel very uninspired, the most prominent to me being the Leo/Leona line. To be frank, they don't appear to be anything more than a cartoon lion and lioness. Dodo, Lemoor, and Gazall, among others, are also big offenders for having a plain, one-dimensional design.

I will praise you for the ideas behind the Fossil Pokemon. It's a really cool idea to use some recently extinct species, and is definitely a refreshing shift from the dinosaur/cambrian/devonian era themes we've seen, although, again, the concepts could have been executed better.

The Ticktock line is definitely not among my favorites, either. Tick is an alright, even good concept, but the other two don't seem be anything special; they just have clocks stamped on their bodies. Hell, if you took away the colors and the clock, you would probably never guess that those Pokemon were even related. This line was, in my opinion, a waste of potential. Something like a big, grandfather clock Pokemon would have been a great continuation of the line.

There are some other interesting lines, like Shoppard, but their evolutions bring very minute changes, and it arguably would have been better off as a stand-alone. The Deevly, Glimmy, and Stalactyke lines also stand out to me for the same reasons. I also dislike the Glimmy line because it is way too human-esque, glamora in particular.

The Champion design just looks like Flannery with more bells and whistles.

Treetop Town. Miles above the ground? Maybe try sea level. I know that it's Pokemon, but unless your region happens to have a race of mega trees for whatever hippy reason, I would rethink that description.

Overall, there is a lot of things that I think you should work on if you want to make your project stand out, and impress people. I think there is some potential in these ideas, but you're going to need to make some modifications. Don't feel bad, because these can be worked out, but you're going to have to rethink some of these concepts if you want to make them successful. Thanks for reading.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Obliveon Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kecleonfan666 View Post
I'm going to critique some of your designs, and also draw attention to something I noticed while browsing your fakedex; it seems like you have gotten a lot of "inspiration" from another project, Pokemon Acanthite. In particular, the Pokemon that they have crafted appear to have some congruities with yours. Their pokedex can be viewed here. If somebody else has already posted about this, or you are in some way affiliated with them, or I've just overlooked something (because I only read the first few pages), then I apologize.

I will say that I do like the grass and fire starter lines (especially the grass types, although they are a lot like the new grass/goat Pokemon in the 6'th generation, but you probably made yours before Gogoat and whatever it was were public, so I'll let you off on that count), and the names that you have picked out for many of these are pretty clever, so I'll praise you for that. However, the water starters are a bit suspect. Take a look at the water starter from Acanthite, No. 500 in their pokedex. The name and concept are both pretty similar from what I can see.

The Flying/Ghost types don't sit well with me. They're dark colored birds with a skull and crossbones on their chest. If anything, they should be Flying/Dark, since they don't seem to bear any features suggestive of a ghost-type. Maybe you thought the color scheme would be enough to justify that typing, but if we were to go by that logic, Corphish should be a Fire-type, and Lugia would be a Water-type.

Also, your new type, the "cyber" type, is also pretty similar to the "Virus" type that Acanthite uses. Obviously both are man-made types, and are based on computers and such things.

The Glimmy line also seems to be adapted from the Halove line of Acanthite's.

Wallapby also draws my concern. It is a fighting type based on a kangaroo (which, granted, is a concept that I've seen in several Fakemon, not just those made by Acanthite), and the name is almost identical to Wallopy, the first in its evolution line (also a fighting-type kangaroo).

Some of these Pokemon, on the other hand, feel very uninspired, the most prominent to me being the Leo/Leona line. To be frank, they don't appear to be anything more than a cartoon lion and lioness. Dodo, Lemoor, and Gazall, among others, are also big offenders for having a plain, one-dimensional design.

I will praise you for the ideas behind the Fossil Pokemon. It's a really cool idea to use some recently extinct species, and is definitely a refreshing shift from the dinosaur/cambrian/devonian era themes we've seen, although, again, the concepts could have been executed better.

The Ticktock line is definitely not among my favorites, either. Tick is an alright, even good concept, but the other two don't seem be anything special; they just have clocks stamped on their bodies. Hell, if you took away the colors and the clock, you would probably never guess that those Pokemon were even related. This line was, in my opinion, a waste of potential. Something like a big, grandfather clock Pokemon would have been a great continuation of the line.

There are some other interesting lines, like Shoppard, but their evolutions bring very minute changes, and it arguably would have been better off as a stand-alone. The Deevly, Glimmy, and Stalactyke lines also stand out to me for the same reasons. I also dislike the Glimmy line because it is way too human-esque, glamora in particular.

The Champion design just looks like Flannery with more bells and whistles.

Treetop Town. Miles above the ground? Maybe try sea level. I know that it's Pokemon, but unless your region happens to have a race of mega trees for whatever hippy reason, I would rethink that description.

Overall, there is a lot of things that I think you should work on if you want to make your project stand out, and impress people. I think there is some potential in these ideas, but you're going to need to make some modifications. Don't feel bad, because these can be worked out, but you're going to have to rethink some of these concepts if you want to make them successful. Thanks for reading.
Ah the criticism. This is my response. I have never heard of this Acanthite thing before. I have no idea what it is and I'm not particularly interested in it. Yes I know some of my designs are bland. I'm working on that and have had more than enough people point that out [which you should've considered before posting as you seem to be a very smart and perceptive person]. The line is spelled Snoppard, no Shoppard. I know Glimmy is too human-like. I'm working on it. Whollopby was inspired by old Looney Tunes, not by some random website I've never heard of. The Gazall line has been redesigned, and is currently being colored and inked. Dodo is bland I know, but dodos themselves were not very interesting or smart birds according to the textbooks. The Flying/Ghost Types are such because they have ghostly powers and they can fly through solid objects just like Haunter and any other Ghost Type. It is not the appearance that decides their Type. Just because I didn't use purple doesn't mean they aren't Ghost Types. You also have apparently not taken into consideration that they are not SOLELY Ghost Types, but dual types and must have characteristics of both. I find nothing wrong with Deevly as it has two possible evolutions, and Stalactyke has some clear differences from it's evo's, granted there aren't many of them. As for Frita, she was designed to look like me, not Flannery. And Flannery's hair is in fact different. Frita's hair looks like a Ho-Oh tail because she is a Fire Type user. Flannery's hair just has spiky pigtails with swallowtails at the bottom. And have you ever read a book about the rainforest? Trees in the jungle ARE miles above the ground. And it's Pokémon! I don't have to be realistic!

Last edited by Obliveon; 09-30-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Obliveon Offline

UPDATE! Nurse Joy design added!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Obliveon Offline

UPDATE! Rosalie Thornwood added!