Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Grace Saunders Offline

Thumbs up Anybody think survival horror has gone downhill?

I've been a survival horror fan for well over a decade now. I had a PS1 in 1998. It was a brilliant console to own, but I only played games like Tekken when I first was giving my PS1 as a present. Then I played Resident Evil 2 and it still holds up as one of the best games, not only in the series, but in the genre altogether. Other games from that era I love would be Nemesis, Clock Tower, Silent Hill and some others were decent. But I think starting from when Resident Evil 4 was released in 2005, the genre just drifted further and further into the realm of action, which made horror games less horror like and more like Call of Duty, or something.

I can sort of see why companies began doing that to their games, because they wanted to produce top rated games that would sell. But there's really nothing that terrifying about Resident Evil 4, 5 or 6. Most other games that try to be like Resident Evil just fuel my opinion. Dead Space comes to mind.

I cannot speak much for Revelations, because that won't be on the 360 until May and I haven't ever played a Nintendo 3DS. But I hear it's a return to form for the series. It's like a prequel to Resident Evil 5 when Jill and Chris first joined the BSAA. If it's as good as people say it is, then I'd like Capcom to maybe keep doing games like that, instead of the now boring story about the Las Plagas or whatever those things get called.

Anyone agree that the genre has went downhill?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Eevee trainer Offline

Default Re: Anybody think survival horror has gone downhill?

Unfortunately, I agree with this. Also, long post is long, sorry. Lol.

However, as a Dead Space fan, I felt that it was very horror-like and enjoyed it wholeheartedly. Then the second one came out and there was a mix of horror and action, but with their more recent release of Dead Space 3, I feel that there was hardly any horror but more action than anything, it was quite disappointing. :/

On the positive side, I do feel like Silent Hill is returning to their original roots a bit, but that may just be my opinion on Silent Hill: Downpour?

I feel that it's because of the larger companies shifting their attention to the action crowd (maybe they're just bigger than the horror fanbase?) that indy horror games are a lot better than what the other companies are giving us? (Amnesia: The Dark Descent comes to mind here.)

All in all, I'm really hoping that they do go back to their horror roots (Resident Evil, Dead Space, and Silent Hill). Mostly as I'm not into action games like Call of Duty or Battlefield and that I feel like the story of horror games are easier to grasp and intrigue the audience?

|.:Art Gallery:.|.:.|.:Battle Log:.|
|.:My once trade thread:.|
Pearl FC- 4984-8127-7088 | SoulSilver FC- 1763-4967-6519 | Black FC- 0991-1240-1790
Old 02-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Peace Buyer Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Peace Buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee trainer View Post
Unfortunately, I agree with this. Also, long post is long, sorry. Lol.

However, as a Dead Space fan, I felt that it was very horror-like and enjoyed it wholeheartedly. Then the second one came out and there was a mix of horror and action, but with their more recent release of Dead Space 3, I feel that there was hardly any horror but more action than anything, it was quite disappointing. :/

On the positive side, I do feel like Silent Hill is returning to their original roots a bit, but that may just be my opinion on Silent Hill: Downpour?

I feel that it's because of the larger companies shifting their attention to the action crowd (maybe they're just bigger than the horror fanbase?) that indy horror games are a lot better than what the other companies are giving us? (Amnesia: The Dark Descent comes to mind here.)

All in all, I'm really hoping that they do go back to their horror roots (Resident Evil, Dead Space, and Silent Hill). Mostly as I'm not into action games like Call of Duty or Battlefield and that I feel like the story of horror games are easier to grasp and intrigue the audience?
I personally prefer Dead Space over Silent Hill, simply because I didn't find Silent to be Scary. I liked Dead Space for it's jump scaring technique and how no matter how many times you look at the vent, expecting one of the necromorphs to jump and cut your face to bits, it'll always come from the other vent.

But in all honesty, most horror games have to kind of trim it down because less and less people are being into horror games and more people are into action. They have to expand their horizon or else they'll fall short and won't make as much money. I mean they can still do it, but they also have to think of the kids out there. Parents won't complain about an action typed shooter, but if a kid is having nightmares over a game then they'll complain day in and day out.

But for me, I think it'd have to be Dead Space > Resident Evil > Fear > Silent Hill.

But that IS only my opinion.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Eevee trainer Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Buyer View Post
I personally prefer Dead Space over Silent Hill, simply because I didn't find Silent to be Scary. I liked Dead Space for it's jump scaring technique and how no matter how many times you look at the vent, expecting one of the necromorphs to jump and cut your face to bits, it'll always come from the other vent.

But in all honesty, most horror games have to kind of trim it down because less and less people are being into horror games and more people are into action. They have to expand their horizon or else they'll fall short and won't make as much money. I mean they can still do it, but they also have to think of the kids out there. Parents won't complain about an action typed shooter, but if a kid is having nightmares over a game then they'll complain day in and day out.

But for me, I think it'd have to be Dead Space > Resident Evil > Fear > Silent Hill.

But that IS only my opinion.
I agree, I prefer Dead Space over Silent Hill as well. But people have different tastes. As for finding Silent Hill scary, again different tastes, I mostly loved the stories and symbolism of the Silent Hill games. By the time I began playing the Silent Hill series, I had already played Dead Space 1 and 2, so it didn't quite scare me.

Again, I agree that the action genre audience may be larger than the horror genre audience. Which is quite a shame in my opinion as the genre may be dying out with larger companies. On the other hand, this may be a larger opportunity for indy companies.

As for having kids get scared, they shouldn't be playing rated M games in the first place, so there isn't a need to trim it down for that reason. XD If they have nightmares from playing the game, then it's the parent's fault, not the company's.

Pearl FC- 4984-8127-7088 | SoulSilver FC- 1763-4967-6519 | Black FC- 0991-1240-1790
Old 02-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Peace Buyer Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Peace Buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee trainer View Post

Again, I agree that the action genre audience may be larger than the horror genre audience. Which is quite a shame in my opinion as the genre may be dying out with larger companies. On the other hand, this may be a larger opportunity for indy companies.

As for having kids get scared, they shouldn't be playing rated M games in the first place, so there isn't a need to trim it down for that reason. XD If they have nightmares from playing the game, then it's the parent's fault, not the company's.
Honestly, nothing really scares me anymore. The only think I find scary is the sight of my Ex-Girlfriend xD!

But in all honesty, parents do a terrible job parenting now a days seeing as they don't really care what their children watch, and they don't care what the kiddies play.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Eevee trainer Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Buyer View Post
Honestly, nothing really scares me anymore. The only think I find scary is the sight of my Ex-Girlfriend xD!

But in all honesty, parents do a terrible job parenting now a days seeing as they don't really care what their children watch, and they don't care what the kiddies play.
I enjoy feeling jumpy, for some reason? XD I mean, I guess I'm just afraid of facing things that are gonna hurt my character as I don't like getting game over's, really. Lol. Dead Space 1 really set the bar up high for all the other horror games I play. XD

Oh, yeah, they really do. My parents are a perfect example for buying my little brother Grand theft auto IV when he was 8. @_@ I yelled at them for it, but my dad refused to return it. :/