Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion
Default Guns in America

Okay there needs to be a thread on this where I can post the unreasonable things people do with guns.

1) The Aurora and Newtown shootings

Self-explanatory. I've been waiting for a gun massacre to happen since Aurora because I knew it would. All I can say is oh well, because nothing will be done because of obstructive republicans (no, not my opinion. It's actually happening). It'll happen again too. Whether it be 5 months or 5 days.

2) A guy in a pizza store shot a person in the torso twice because his vegetable pizza was taking over 10 minutes. He claims his acts were just because of 'Self defense' and 'stand your ground'.

Do I even have to say anything...?

3) The outrageous claims that people need assault rifles for self-defense.

Assault rifles should be banned plain and simple. They have no other use but for killing. If you must have a gun get a small pistol and shoot it at them. You can cause damage, but no need to blow their head off.

4) Gun control doesn't mean taking all guns.

I think we should ban the sell, use, distribution, and import of guns in the US, but again, the stingy conservatives would never let that pass. If anything, we need to input gun control. People that often cause shoot-outs are gang members or mentally ill patients. Anyone with a history of mental illness or criminal record should by no means have a gun of any sort. They should have no access to guns whatsoever, nor access to purchase them. Large ammunition clip capacaties should also be banned. You need at most three shots to kill (or even over kill) a human being. There's no need for there to be 200 rounds for one gun.

5) Guns are easier to get the sudafed.

Ridiculous, right? I mean seriously. Meth is honestly less dangerous than guns. To purchase sudafed for a cold and cough, you need a Photo-I.D., you can only buy a limited amount, and how much you buy when you buy it and where you live is input in an all-database computer so meth can be traced back to you.

For guns: No photo-I.D. required, you can buy as many as you want with as many accessories and ammunition as you want, you are not marked in any way. All you have to do is pick one and pay, which is exactly what the Aurora Shooter did.

6) People collect guns for fun

I shouldn't have to say anything about this. By NO means should ANYONE collect guns for FUN. Guns are war weapons and should not be taken lightly. I understand there are people who hunt, well all you need is one gun. Anyone having a gun should KNOW how to care for it and how to handle it. It's often the stupidity and ignorance that kills. Target practice and fun shooting should be totally illegal and anyone who does this should have their gun rights revoked. This is the most dangerous use of a military weapon. It's exactly like shooting nukes at boulders on a smaller scale.

Guns are taken way too lightly here. They in fact are VERY dangerous and I would never allow anyone under the age of 21 to use them.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Sealboy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sealboy Send a message via MSN to Sealboy Send a message via Skype™ to Sealboy
Default Re: Guns in America

They should do what we do in Britain - restrict everyone from using and owning guns. The only people allowed to use them are armed police - yes, our regular police have nothing but spray and sticks. They still do a bloody good job without needing a lethal weapon, so guns are not necessary.

It's really sad - those children will never have another Christmas; they must have been so excited. And the parents affected? How will they feel every time they see the present(s) they bought their kid(s) who is/are now dead? It's so sad and is close to bringing me to tears - those children never deserved death.

Simply get rid of guns for the public - they don't need them at all. Things like this happen, and its a heartbreak for too many people.

~Sealboy

Click the image above to check out my YouTube Channel - it'd mean a lot.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Guns dont kill people...people kill people.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...-in-china?lite

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 12-20-2012, 08:23 PM
mintjelly Offline
Father Cat

Send a message via AIM to mintjelly Send a message via Skype™ to mintjelly

In Canada, you need to pass a safety test, pass a handgun course, and renew your license.

Our gun control laws are pretty good.

Shun the non-believer
Old 12-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintjelly View Post
In Canada, you need to pass a safety test, pass a handgun course, and renew your license.

Our gun control laws are pretty good.
Gun control laws have nothing to do with the problem. Most people that are using them for murder are using stolen guns or guns gotten in some illegal way. Making gun laws more strict would just give less people the option to protect themselves.

There use to be an old joke that went something like this.
"never go into a club that has metal detectors because all the people waiting outside know that you dont have one."

Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 PM
goldwynaut Offline

Saying that crimes would go down by banning guns is straight out just plain crap, Dredds link totally explains this, if guns were never invented, criminals would be using bows, swords, knives, sticks, or even their bare hands, guns cant kill anyone, they are inanimate objects with no free will, a gun, just like all weapons, have just as much power as you give it, its harmless in the hands of a friendly person, but in the hands of a potential murderer it is lethal. Gun skeptics argue that its so much easier to kill someone with a gun than any other weapon, but its not, its just faster and more effective and makes less mess, with that being said, a gunshot is not a guaranteed kill, the bullet still has to hit the target, and in a massacre its not like on a shooting range, in a shooting range, you have as much time as you want to aim and shoot, but in a massacre the time is restricted, you dont have an aimbot that autokills your target, hitting something with a gun takes practice, and most criminals dont have the skill needed.

Also, then you think of America, you think of the USA, Hollywood, calm looking cul-de-sacs, a peaceful country, but all of the USA is not like that, there are places that are indeed dangerous. take Detroit for example, Detroit is a typical poor city, and its crime numbers are high, its safer to have a gun than not having a gun if you live there, because banning guns wont magically cause all the guns in USA to vanish.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Sealboy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sealboy Send a message via MSN to Sealboy Send a message via Skype™ to Sealboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
Guns dont kill people...people kill people.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...-in-china?lite
Agreed, but removing their rights to owning guns reduces the likelihood of murder - have you seen the figures of how many people in America die from gun violence?

This link has two issues:

1) It's irrelevant due to the fact it happened in China. We're talking about America here. To be honest, the likelihood of children being murdered at a school by a knife is so much more lower than that of a gun. To me, it sounds like China have some law enforcement issues.

2) People were slashed - it says nothing about anyone dying from that incident. Other incidents on that page, yes, but the initial story was only about injuries. Again, it sounds like a law enforcement issue by China.

People shouldn't be able to use guns to protect themselves - it's a mistake on the American government's part by allowing people to own them.

Britain have next to no gun crime, only teenagers on the streets with knives. Even then we're cutting down on the number of knife violence - restricting the population from guns is one of the best things a country can have.

Nobody should be able to carry a gun but the law enforcement.

~Sealboy

Click the image above to check out my YouTube Channel - it'd mean a lot.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealboy View Post

Agreed, but removing their rights to owning guns reduces the likelihood of murder - have you seen the figures of how many people in America die from gun violence?

This link has two issues:

1) It's irrelevant due to the fact it happened in China. We're talking about America here. To be honest, the likelihood of children being murdered at a school by a knife is so much more lower than that of a gun. To me, it sounds like China have some law enforcement issues.

2) People were slashed - it says nothing about anyone dying from that incident. Other incidents on that page, yes, but the initial story was only about injuries. Again, it sounds like a law enforcement issue by China.

People shouldn't be able to use guns to protect themselves - it's a mistake on the American government's part by allowing people to own them.

Britain have next to no gun crime, only teenagers on the streets with knives. Even then we're cutting down on the number of knife violence - restricting the population from guns is one of the best things a country can have.

Nobody should be able to carry a gun but the law enforcement.

~Sealboy
Its completely relevant. Anti guns laws would make you believe guns are the cause of all problems. Guns are not the problem. Maybe we should just plant chips in people to control there emotions

Also as Ive said living in the city with I believe the highest crime rate for a major city I can tell you 90 percent of gun violence is from people using illegal hand guns. Making it harder for people to get guns just keeps the guns out of peoples hands who have earned the right to protect themself, it does not slow down gun trafficking or gang related shootings.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 PM
goldwynaut Offline

I agree with Dredd, banning guns would rather make getting a gun EASIER, as it would give smugglers an entirely new element in their arsenal, weapons, no background check needed, you can get a gin anytime, even if you just got out from a 15 year prison sentence, all you need is the contacts, something i know is suprisingly easy to get.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:55 PM
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

The gun may not have it's own will, but it sure does help accomplish the kill.

Gun laws dramatically decrease the chance to kill someone with a gun. Making anything illegal is not a surefire way to stop all the crimes that will ever happen again with that gun, it just decreases the likelihood of it happening. When drugs were illegal back in the 19th century, almost everyone used them, for coughs, colds, and even for babies that couldn't sleep, and of course recreational. When the drugs were associated with negative properties, they were criminalized. This drastically reduced the use, sell, and importation of drugs. Did that stop everyone form using them? Well of course not. The point is that the rates dramatically decreased, which would be the goal of gun laws.

Also,

GUN LAWS =/= BAN ALL GUNS

People seem to fail to realize this most of the time. All we want is stricter gun laws so these tragedies don't keep occurring. For god's sake, 20 children were robbed of their lives for no reason.

Also, yes Sealboy, there were NO deaths in the China Stabbing. None of them died. They received a slashing and that was about it. All survived and all are doing very well.

Guns require no ID to receive. Even though most gun shootings are from illegally obtained weaponry, the legally obtained shooting guns would not be used. This would also decrease the mortality rate.

Guns are used for 2/3 of killing in the US. Sharp objects are 17% and other is 6% (actual statistics from the government). It's a lot harder to kill 20 people in a few seconds with a knife than with a gun. This means the attacker could be stopped in time before mass deaths.

Guns aren't the entire problem, but they are most of it. Unless we can outlaw anything used as a weapon (basically anything), then we're out of luck. You can be gagged to death with a shoe, or bashed in the head by a pencil sharpener. Guns are the main problem in this, however.

I believe they should be only used by officers only, but again, that'd never pass here because of the repugnicants wanting their gun rights. Whether people like it or not, the White House is already doing something about this and they're acting fast. New gun laws could be set in early next year.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Dragotech Offline

We already have arms dealers dude that specialize in illegal guns and explosives...
Their stocks would have a huge increase when everything with a trigger and a barrel is a new inventory item

so yeah that isn't anything new,
they get richer they get more guns. They get more guns they sell more guns. They sell more guns they get richer.
And we get this...
Got the cash? Sure, here's a gun. Oh ,you want bullets too? Sure... if you got the cash. Good there ya go... We have a special deal on C4 today... You interested? No? So you just wanted the gun and bullets... Okay.

Sealboy, being from Britian, the option to get a gun is not open to you. Don't knock it till ya try it.

People collecting guns for fun... Are they compensating for something I wonder?
Of course if I had that much cash on hand I'd collect guns too.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:32 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Guns don't kill people. Doctors kill people.

But yeah, in all seriousness, owning a gun should work similar to being able to drive a car. You should have to pass a written exam and a psychiatric evaluation to prove you are of sound mind to own and handle one. Still, in most massacres, the shooter wasn't mentally stable and/or was using guns that weren't theirs. So while this won't eliminate the problem, it should remedy it at least a little.

I also think the China attack is a bad example to compare the shootings to. A knife could cause injury, but it has to hit particular organs for it to be fatal. Had the attacker used a stronger weapon like a sledgehammer, pickaxe, power tool, or anything else you could easily buy at Lowe's or Home Depot without a permit, there would have been many more casualties and injuries. At the same time, there are a LOT of things that could easily be turned into weapons if used the wrong way. If you use gun laws to try and control the distribution of guns, it only means people are just going to find creative ways around it. Such as using explosives. Or gasoline and fire. Hate to say it, but the attack on Aurora and Newtown could have easily been done via arson or gas using everyday items and be just as, if not more, lethal than the shootings. You'd be surprised how easy it is to make your own Molotov cocktails, and that's just a very mild example. Let's not forget that Ted Kaczynski, Jack the Ripper, and the extremists that were responsible for the 9/11 attacks didn't need guns to kill and do extreme amounts of damage.

I won't deny, guns do make it easier to kill people and they are often over-glamorized and their very presence makes some people react in bad ways. But in essence, the people that BADLY want guns will get their hands on them one way or another. It's a matter of crime control, not gun control.

Those who want to kill will find ways to kill, whether it's through guns or something else. Banning guns just gives the rest of us that don't have access to the anarchist's cookbook one less thing to defend ourselves with.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Cobalt Shadow Offline

Send a message via MSN to Cobalt Shadow Send a message via Skype™ to Cobalt Shadow

There was a shooting in Australia 16 years ago. 35 were killed and 23 injured. As a result of this the government payed civilians to hand in their guns. There were then laws on guns out in place. Yes, you can still get guns illegally.
Gun-related deaths in USA: 10.2 per 100000
Gun-related deaths in Australia: 1.05 per 100000
Gun-related deaths in UK: 0.25 per 100000 people (for sealboy)
Yes, even if there are gun-control laws, you can still get them illegally. But the bottom line is that it works,
*Content Warning*
Spoiler:
and until people pull their thumbs out their arses and realise this, then gun related massacres in the US will continue

My source for statistics

Dragotech, Eternal Moonlight and I are the PE2k Wolf Pack! Fear Fredward the Sparklepire, Bidoof the Soulless and Slenderfairy!
Banner Made by Me
Old 12-21-2012, 07:52 AM
~Blast Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt Shadow View Post
*Content Warning*
Spoiler:
and until people pull their thumbs out their arses and realise this, then gun related massacres in the US will continue
Wow you really are concerned for content. xD Maybe if you said:

Spoiler:
until people actually pull their damn thumbs out of their asses and realize this, then the massacres will continue and there should be no B*tchiness of it because they refuse to let anything be done.

However, I do agree.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Steak Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Steak

^ wow way to act like a mod dude!

2nd amendment states that we have the right to bear arms basically to defend ourselves from a corrupt government blah blah blah

cool so how many times have we used guns to protect ourselves from tyranny
right ok so now how many times have we used guns to kill each other and ourselves
that's what I thought

the only people who ever use guns to kill people are real criminals who will just gets the guns illegally anyway!!
that is such a BS claim. it just is. guns are an everyday commodity here in the US.

gun laws here protect people WITH guns, not from guns.
gun laws here protect the murderer, not the victim.

honestly if you can look at public shootings and say that guns are ok because maybe somebody could have seen the event and shot the murderer, potentially saving would-be victims
that's just flawed logic
who's going to bring a gun to a movie theater because they want to make sure they can defend themselves incase a serial killer waltzes in with an AK47. who's going to have a gun on their hip as they walk into Toys R' Us, or McDonald's, or Walmart because they're sure having it is going to shield them from any harm.
nobody who's smart.
you don't prepare for mass murder.

how can we live in a society that condones public usage of tools of destruction for the purpose of self-defense, when in reality they are just about never used for that purpose. how is this even a debate.

america's just dumb and likes to rely on traditional values that don't apply throughout changing times. were guns useful to protect one's self back in the Frontier days where grizzly bears and native american attacks were actual threats? sure. do we need guns now for the purpose of self defense? I don't know, does it feel like the early 1800's to you?

thanks