Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 12-16-2012, 03:13 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Game of the Year 2012

So the end of the year is here. And the question comes into mind as always: what is your game of the year this year? Top 5? Best in each genre? Do tell!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
So for me my year was mostly dominated by RPG games and ironically mostly of rereleases with extended extras. I think the most time I've put into are games like Persona 4 Golden, Pokemon Black 2, Dark Souls: PTD Edition, Tales of the Abyss and Binding of Issac: Wrath of the Lamb.

It's not surprising to me that there's one category that I'll definitely be deliberating a lot more on.

Best Shooter: Spec Ops: The Line
I cannot overstate how amazed I am that I actually liked a shooter, but here I am in a sea of CoD and Halo, I pick a little outdated gem in spec ops. It gets my vote because this game tries to do something interesting and something quite different from what we are used to, similar to the shock of CoD4, but more refined in its storytelling, PTSD, etc.
Spoiler:
The truth is, you're here because you want to feel like something you're not. A hero.

Best Action/Action RPG: Dark Souls PTD Edition
Honestly this is one of the hardest games with an incredible amount of lore. The addition of the new content was amazing (the new dragon is SO COOL, Artorias IS SO COOL). This game is punishingly hard and it is so true that there is a lot of satisfaction after beating particularly tough bosses. Most certainly one of the best games of the year, even if it is a year old. Yes, I like this game better than Tales, even if I love Tales.

Best JRPG: Persona 4 Golden
So much to do, great story, great game. Persona 4 Golden added a bunch of new content to the PS2 game, and it shines on a portable machine. This game is so good. Such a final fantasy game that isn't final fantasy.

Best Music Game: DJ Max Technika
Want a technika machine on your vita? There you go. I wish the vita is bigger though. :( Then again, its only competition is Project Diva, so w/e.

Most interesting mechanic: Gravity manipulation
Gravity Rush! The actual ability to manipulate gravity is AMAZING. I'd love to see how the sequel would go, since the actual first game is like maybe 1/3 of a game at most and leaves a lot to be desired. But the roaming and exploration with gravity manipulation is fantastic.

Best Fighter: Ultimate Marvel 3
Broken is broken. This game is just as good as their console versions. No SF4AE on a portable though. :(

Best Visual Novel: Virtue's Last Reward
When your competition...well there is none in the console market, so there you go. Btw, 999 was good, so you'll know what to expect here.

More to come...maybe. :P

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 12-16-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Pokemon_Ron Offline

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon_Ron Send a message via Skype™ to Pokemon_Ron
Default Re: Game of the Year 2012

I really miss the gaming community on Pe2k :(

I felt like 2012 was a pretty good year for gaming, bunch of titles I really liked. Not many big games that released this year(thanks to Gamefly) besides PS3 exclusives, besides Spec Ops: The Line. While I don't really have individual rewards to give out, I gotta give kudos to Far Cry 3. Most definately my GOTY for 2012. Honestly loving the hell outta the game.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Negative Zone Offline

Huh... I... didn't play much of what came out this year. Guild Wars 2 is pretty good. I guess Tribes Ascend was officially released this year, but it became pretty bad after a while. I bought Pokemon White 2 last weekend, but I haven't played it much at all.

Honestly, the best game this year, in my opinion... Is Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing. I love Sega, especially Sonic, so it's all kinds of fun for me.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:10 PM
LS Offline

Dota2 wins it for me.

I have reached 1032 hours played and I am nowhere near done.

In a year time it's going to be bigger than LoL. ;)
Old 12-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

I don't play any of those genres except Fighter games. xD

If you count Pokemon as an action RPG, then that.

I'm not really a gamer but I posted here
Quote:
because you want to feel like something you're not.
:(

My top game would have to be Soul Calibur V. I suck at first person shooters, or any game that requires strict accuracy. xD Idek what a visual novel or a JRPG is. D:

But for me Soul Calibur V. Maxed out my player level, beaten Legendary Souls (hardest part), can play on max difficulty, created a butt load of characters, and have all the equipment. :3
/nerd who is no fun to play because he only plays Pokemon and one other game
Old 12-16-2012, 07:22 PM
LS Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion Explosion View Post

I'm not really a gamer but I posted here :(

My top game would have to be Soul Calibur V. I suck at first person shooters, or any game that requires strict accuracy. xD Idek what a visual novel or a JRPG is. D:

But for me Soul Calibur V. Maxed out my player level, beaten Legendary Souls (hardest part), can play on max difficulty, created a butt load of characters, and have all the equipment. :3
Meh, SCIV was really good. SCV was a big let down for me for the simple fact that my two favorite characters were not in the game. (Cassandra and Amy)

I also play a lot of fighers (Even spent $250 on a Qanba Arcade stick) and if I was to pick the best fighter of 2012 it'd definitely be UMvC3.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS View Post
Meh, SCIV was really good. SCV was a big let down for me for the simple fact that my two favorite characters were not in the game. (Cassandra and Amy)
I used Cassandra from 2008-2011, so I was pretty good with her. Then I started using Sophitia, so have Pyrrha as a successor was awesome. As long as there is ONE Alexandra family member. xD

I hear Street Fighter is close to SC though, but it's too Japanese-y/manga-y for me. DX
Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 PM
ArielJustice Offline

Glad to see Virtue's made it :) Still have to play it. However no stores near me sell it so maybe online is my best bet
Old 12-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Neku Sakuraba Offline
Sound Garden

Send a message via AIM to Neku Sakuraba Send a message via Skype™ to Neku Sakuraba

I think I can manage this.

Best Shooter: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Spoiler:
Dear GOD, why am I listing this?! It has good graphics, and since everyone extremely competitive, or at least most people, moved from multiplayer, multiplayer is at least 70% playable without ragequitting.

Best Action/Action RPG: Probably Assassin's Creed III
Spoiler:
This was an amazing game when I tried it out. The graphics are beautiful action...PRETTY. HD GRAPHICS ARE PRETTY. The game mechanics are good, controls nice, and...yeah. It's good.

Best JRPG: I'm going to assume White 2 is a JRPG. xD At least, the Japanese version.
Spoiler:
It's Pokemon.

Best Music Game: I dunno, Guitar Hero or something. I haven't played many music games recently.

Most interesting mechanic: Imprinting
Spoiler:
Yes, I'm making a reference from a game that is four years old. It was interesting to see that dead people could use their phones to imprint certain words into people's minds. Yeah.

Best Fighter: Umm...Marvel VS. Capcom 3?
Spoiler:
Mainly because Phoenix Wright is in it. :P

Best Visual Novel: The World Ends With You
Spoiler:
Again. Four years old. Freaking amazing.

MORE TOPICS, YAY! xD

Most Broken Game: inFAMOUS
Spoiler:
Yes, inFAMOUS. I picked it up, get gangra--slaughtered by a bunch of gunners almost immediately. I died so much for no reason that I just put the controller down. Never even bothered to try the second one.

Most Weirdest, but Amazing Game: The Binding of Isaac
Spoiler:
This was a challenging game, it was possible, it was addicting, it was...weird. YES, I'M TALKING TO YOU, CUTE BUT WEIRD MONSTRO.

...Yeah.

Links
Code:
Level 100: 3287 Proud Deviant of the PE2K Deviants
Have PesterChum for some reason? Contact me on it! (neonSound)
Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:

I'm not really a gamer but I posted here :(

Pokemon is a JRPG, which stands for Japanese RPG, which traditionally uses turn-based style of fighting. This is basically Final Fantasy. Action RPGs are games that are like adventures but have a large amount of RPG elements that's a the core of the game. Think of it as something like Zelda, but with RG stats you'd expect in Final Fantasy.

Don't worry about visual novels. I'm the only one here that appreciates them. It's a genre that's literally what it says it is: novels with pictures. Most of the "game" is just text with a picture behind the text...and the game's glorious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS View Post

I also play a lot of fighers (Even spent $250 on a Qanba Arcade stick) and if I was to pick the best fighter of 2012 it'd definitely be UMvC3.
Ya SCV was good enough, but not that great. I'm definitely a Sophitia kinda guy though. Her and Seung Mina weren't in SCV though.

Quote:
I used Cassandra from 2008-2011, so I was pretty good with her. Then I started using Sophitia, so have Pyrrha as a successor was awesome. As long as there is ONE Alexandra family member. xD

I hear Street Fighter is close to SC though, but it's too Japanese-y/manga-y for me. DX
Street Fighter plays nothing like SC. Street Fighter is literally just a more meticulous version of Marvel, with nicer timings and more strategic elements. The "Japanese" graphics is what makes it stand out IMO, though. Now that I think about it, didn't AE come out this year? If that is the case, best fighter has to be SF4AE this year. Marvel is definitely a weaker game in comparison. Then again, Persona 4 Arena also came out this year too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielJustice View Post
Glad to see Virtue's made it :) Still have to play it. However no stores near me sell it so maybe online is my best bet
Ya, get it online. Aksys has a habit of giving 1 copy to gamestops. So when they sell out the 1 copy, you have to order from Aksys instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neku Sakuraba View Post
I think I can manage this.

Best Shooter: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Spoiler:
Dear GOD, why am I listing this?! It has good graphics, and since everyone extremely competitive, or at least most people, moved from multiplayer, multiplayer is at least 70% playable without ragequitting.

Best Action/Action RPG: Probably Assassin's Creed III
Spoiler:
This was an amazing game when I tried it out. The graphics are beautiful action...PRETTY. HD GRAPHICS ARE PRETTY. The game mechanics are good, controls nice, and...yeah. It's good.

Best JRPG: I'm going to assume White 2 is a JRPG. xD At least, the Japanese version.
Spoiler:
It's Pokemon.

Best Music Game: I dunno, Guitar Hero or something. I haven't played many music games recently.

Most interesting mechanic: Imprinting
Spoiler:
Yes, I'm making a reference from a game that is four years old. It was interesting to see that dead people could use their phones to imprint certain words into people's minds. Yeah.

Best Fighter: Umm...Marvel VS. Capcom 3?
Spoiler:
Mainly because Phoenix Wright is in it. :P

Best Visual Novel: The World Ends With You
Spoiler:
Again. Four years old. Freaking amazing.

MORE TOPICS, YAY! xD

Most Broken Game: inFAMOUS
Spoiler:
Yes, inFAMOUS. I picked it up, get gangra--slaughtered by a bunch of gunners almost immediately. I died so much for no reason that I just put the controller down. Never even bothered to try the second one.

Most Weirdest, but Amazing Game: The Binding of Isaac
Spoiler:
This was a challenging game, it was possible, it was addicting, it was...weird. YES, I'M TALKING TO YOU, CUTE BUT WEIRD MONSTRO.

...Yeah.
Isaac is an amazing game. :D

The World Ends with you is an Action RPG, btw. :P That's why I have an odd category: visual novels are literally the domain of PC, and there are only like 2 titles that aren't 18+ and are on consoles, both of which are of the same series (Zero Escape vol 1 and vol 2).