Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default First Impressions to Newcomers (About Skins)

Yeah, I know I've been away for a while, hanging out at Serebii. Spending some time away kind of clued me in as to what this place is missing and where it might be going wrong. I'm not even sure why I'm back here, probably because something just wouldn't feel right if I thought of something that could be done to help it and I just decided to keep it to myself.

So... about first impressions...

Guess it took cookies being deleted for me to ultimately be reminded of what the default skin for PE2K looks like, and what guests and all potential new members are seeing for the first time when curiosity seizes them and they gaze upon the PE2K forum for the first time. And I saw how bad it is. I've watched quite a bit of Restaurant Impossible and HGTV shows to realize how freaking massive a first impression has on people. It's almost scary.

When I applied that to PE2K, I realized to people visiting this forum, I could really begin to see what's been driving them away.

Call me crazy, but...

BlueCommune

To me, BlueCommune is as bare bones of a skin as you can possibly get, and as a guest, it's the very first thing people see. It's barely even Pokémon, and uses those weird, funky, very un-Pokémon like alien heads to designate new posts for the boards. Meanwhile, the head banner is plain old text with a picture of Kyogre (old 3rd generation Pokémon at that) slapped on the top against a pure white background, like Kyogre's been left out in a barren, snowy tundra. Very no frills, just very... very... dry.

vBulletin Style

And when you log in (which seems to take a while), the skin swaps to vBulletin Style, another white and blue skin which actually seems to imply vBulletin is sponsoring PE2K and the forum is obligated to show their name and logo on the main banner. It's weird and I never really liked it for that reason. I know this banner was made years and years ago by a member who left long, long ago. Trust me, I don't think it would be a tragedy if we took it down.

In the meantime, the buttons, the new posts icons, and general layout is the default skin of every vBulletin forum out there. Ladies and gentlemen, that's... bad. That's boring, and it implies PE2K's too lazy to make a good, default skin or doesn't know how, BOTH of which are totally wrong.

OKAY, SO WHAT SHOULD BE THE DEFAULT FORUM SKIN?

Either Version Reshiram, which is a KICKASS skin made by RocketMeowth featuring an awesome main banner as with fresh, 5th generation Pokémon, or Your Adventure Awaits by Pokémon Trainer Sarah, which has that good old nostalgic Pokémon feel and actually brings COLOR AND LIFE to my eyes and reminds me beautifully that I HAVE NOT GONE COLORBLIND. If for some sudden, tragic reason I could only see in monochrome, BlueCommune and vBulletin Style would never let me know something went wrong!

BOTH of these skins look WAY, WAY , WAY better than the default junk. Version Reshiram drop kicks BlueCommune in the back of its stupid head while Your Adventure Awaits beats the boring vBulletin Style to a bloody pulp right in front of its own mom. But to a new guest member, they don't see these awesome skins on the drop down. Sadly, before they've discovered them and their awesomeness, they've probably left thinking PE2K is just a bland forum of nobodies with no creative talent. They've left because vBulletin Style just tells them "hey, PE2K just... has to use... something for a skin" rather than something impressive. And BlueCommune says "yeah, keep on lookin'. No creativity here."

What About the Other Skins?

Pokémon Post-Apocalyptic - Keep. I know, I made this one, but from what I remember, people liked it.
Eon Twins - Another one of mine, but I've never heard anyone complain about it. But if most people were in agreement to chuck it, I'd be fine with that.
Lake Trios - This skin is outright gorgeous, it's a keeper.
Pokémon Urban Street - I know, it's mine. General consensus told me most people like it, but again, if people don't, no need to save it just because of little ol' me.
Christmas 2010 - Really should be renamed as "Pokémon Christmas" since there's nothing 2010 about it. To me, it still looks good.
Smooth<Insert color here> - I really think we need to trash all of these. Yes, all seven of them. They're dry, they're boring, uninteresting, and there's a whole slew of them that are pretty much just carbon copies of each other with a different color. Who still even uses these anyway? We have skins that are so much better.
SilentGhost - Besides the Castform squeezed all the way up in the top (which isn't even a ghost Pokémon!), there's nothing Pokémon about this one either. And it's got... the weird eyes as the new forum post icons. I'd say drop this one too.
AlienSkin - PE2K does have a weird fascination with aliens, doesn't it? Again, drop this. It's boring black and white, it's a skin that says "no creativity, no effort" and that's never a good thing. And don't ask me what that new forum post icon is supposed to be, I haven't got a clue.
ASDial-Up Ugh, "Dial-Up" even implies it's slow and old! And it is. Kingdra may be on the top, but besides that, there's nothing much Pokémon about this one, and the new post icon is barely even there. Drop this one, I highly doubt anyone will miss it.
GreenLeaf - Yeah, another bare bones skin that could go and would probably go unmissed.
Intiview - Flygon's cool, but this skin really doesn't do him justice. And it's another New Post icon that I can't tell if it's a magnifying glass or someone's lollipop that's so without flavor it's completely clear.
I-Bulletin - Ugh, there's NOTHING POKÉMON ABOUT THIS ONE! That drives me crazy. It's totally gray and white, you couldn't possibly make a skin more boring than this one.
I-Bulletin <Insert Color Here> - All three of these can go kiss a trash can in my opinion. Same reasons as above.
Fancy Gray - The top banner layout is a little interesting, but no. We've got way better than this. Trash it.
Firaun - I'm mixed about this one. The top banner is cool and it has a neat Egyptian theme, but I don't get why an Eye of Horus is used as the new posts icon rather than something Pokémon. And the hieroglyphics could be replaced by something with Unown to give it a cooler Ruins of Alph feel. I wouldn't trash it, but it could use a bit more Pokémon in there and then would be a decent skin.
Future Vision - Latios is okay, but the rest of this skin is a bore. Any Latios and Latias fan would probably way rather use Eon Twins rather than this thing.
Future Vision III - Again, like many of the others, there's really not much Pokémon about this one. This one could go too and I doubt a tear would fall for it.
Girl Talk - Really not a BAD skin, but if we really wanted to make a cute, colorful, mellow, and sugary-themed skin, we could do it easily in a way that would make this seem like grandpa's soiled underwear. I'd say drop this one too. I single-handedly could make a skin that accomplishes what this one was trying to do and then some.
Kirsch - I'm not even sure what a "Kirsch" is. Regardless, this skin just seems to be just like all the others. Another one I doubt would be missed.
PS3 Style - PS3 on a Pokémon forum is like donkeys on a Republican site. Besides, I've owned a PS3 for years, it doesn't look anything like that. Really, drop this one.
Sosumi - Yeah, this is another no-thrills skin as well. Belongs in the garbage.

Yes, I realize this would leave us with only eight skins, but that's not bad. It's better to have a few really good skins than to have a whole truckload of boring, plain, and talentless ones that give newcomers the wrong impression.

Feel free to add your opinions on this, but the old and the boring isn't a tradition worth keeping.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion
Default Re: First Impressions to Newcomers (About Skins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Emolga
Pokémon Urban Street - I know, it's mine. General consensus told me most people like it, but again, if people don't, no need to save it just because of little ol' me.
NOOOO. IT HAS TYPHLOSION ON IT AND HAS BEEN MY SKIN FOR A YEAR. ;n;

I don't really see a conflict about deleting skins and changing the default. Your Adventure Awaits probably seems like the best skin to go with, with genwunners errrrrywhere. Some people have never played Gen V, and some people don't like it (for whatever reason), so Gen I is probably the most appealing.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Sealboy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sealboy Send a message via MSN to Sealboy Send a message via Skype™ to Sealboy

I have no qualms with BlueCommune - been using it for all the time I've been on this site. The simplicity is why I like it I suppose; it's how I view Pe2k as a whole and always have done.

A new main theme would be nice though. Your Adventure Awaits is nice and old-school (although I dislike the bunched upyness of the middle), but Version Reshiram will intrigue and draw in new and younger members. Reshiram for me.

~Sealboy

Click the image above to check out my YouTube Channel - it'd mean a lot.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Feather Offline

I think a lot of the styles on PE2K are rather bad, won't lie. First impressions are important so if a forum looks bad on the exterior a lot of people won't give it a chance. Definitely agree that the default should be changed at this point, especially when there's a skin that's much more fitting as we're currently in the fifth generation with B/W2 having been out for only a few months.

And those people that do give the site a chance despite the styles will see the cluttered stickies/rules, inactive staff, threads being posted in odd sections without being moved to a more appropriate place, laggy forum, and so on and just move on. I feel bad saying all of this but there is a very big reason why the site isn't active, and the above issues are some of 'em. D: There needs to be an effort on all of the staff members' part to get this place alive again and it just doesn't seem like it's being put out right now.

Last edited by Feather; 12-11-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Hey Neo! I appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately we still don't have powers to mess with skins at all (adding/removing/editing or changing default) and Ryan is MIA/busy right now so I don't think much can actually be done at the present. :( But I completely agree with you and wish we could have some pretty new skins. In the meantime, I will see if I can get the default changed to Version Reshiram (I need to fix a few of the colour codes which I messed up when I made it, first @_@). YAA is a bit squishy on larger resolutions, so Version Reshiram with RM's awesome art is probably the way to go.

I appreciate you coming back to give us some advice. If there's anything else you think we can do to improve the forum I would be happy to hear it!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:23 AM
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

I figured Ryan would play into his. O: Maybe you guys should make him change his password to Bulbasaur and then you can do whatever you want? XD You'd probably have to do the downloading and stuff though. e.e Ah well, Version Reshiram is awesome too!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:24 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion Explosion View Post
NOOOO. IT HAS TYPHLOSION ON IT AND HAS BEEN MY SKIN FOR A YEAR. ;n;

I don't really see a conflict about deleting skins and changing the default. Your Adventure Awaits probably seems like the best skin to go with, with genwunners errrrrywhere. Some people have never played Gen V, and some people don't like it (for whatever reason), so Gen I is probably the most appealing.
Hey, I didn't say can it! I used that skin for a long time too, I mean only if people wanted to toss it. So let's not.

But yeah, Your Adventure Awaits or Version Reshiram are both really good and while Your Adventure Awaits captures classic Pokémon while Version Reshiram is more here and now with the 5th generation, I think either one of them would be way better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealboy View Post
I have no qualms with BlueCommune - been using it for all the time I've been on this site. The simplicity is why I like it I suppose; it's how I view Pe2k as a whole and always have done.

A new main theme would be nice though. Your Adventure Awaits is nice and old-school (although I dislike the bunched upyness of the middle), but Version Reshiram will intrigue and draw in new and younger members. Reshiram for me.

~Sealboy
I've never liked BlueCommune. Sorry, I just don't. As both a graphic artist and a guy majoring in business marketing, eye-catching appeal, product recall, and communication is really needed to draw in the potential customer (in this case, new members). You've got to seize their curiosity and wonder right from the start. When people look at PE2K for the first time, they've got to see something that wows them and really tells them this place has got talent, it's cool, and they're Pokémon fans that are brimming with creativity. Las Vegas doesn't attract tourists with a poster and a box of crayons, and the opening ceremony of the Olympics sure isn't a kindergarten skit. They bring out the big guns, and we need to do that too. You need to bring out color, life, and some magic, and really rub it in that people who gaze upon PE2K are in for something cool, creative, and special.

BlueCommune just doesn't do that. Not by a long shot, no matter how you slice it. It just sends the wrong message that PE2K is just a simple forum with simple members and simple things going on, thus making everyone simpletons. Nah. If you walk into Best Buy shopping for electronics, sorry dude, but they're not stocking the black and white box televisions sets anymore or a Commodore 64. They'll show you the cool gadgets and the flat screen TVs and hardware that will knock your socks off. PE2K has to do that in a way a forum can present itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
Hey Neo! I appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately we still don't have powers to mess with skins at all (adding/removing/editing or changing default) and Ryan is MIA/busy right now so I don't think much can actually be done at the present. :( But I completely agree with you and wish we could have some pretty new skins. In the meantime, I will see if I can get the default changed to Version Reshiram (I need to fix a few of the colour codes which I messed up when I made it, first @_@). YAA is a bit squishy on larger resolutions, so Version Reshiram with RM's awesome art is probably the way to go.

I appreciate you coming back to give us some advice. If there's anything else you think we can do to improve the forum I would be happy to hear it!
Sounds good, hope it can happen. But yeah, a lot of those old, boring skins... they remind me of all the old computer crap we recently hauled out of the attic, and having all that extra space just makes it seem so much cleaner. Trust me, when you get rid of old junk that hasn't been used in eons, you don't miss it.

Well, there were a few other things. The lag... is pretty bad. I hit a lag spike every now and then, especially when viewing member profiles and logging in. I don't know what's causing it, but it just feels like some kind of communication link between me and the server isn't optimized, and I know it's not on my end since this is the only site that I've seen this kind of thing happening. That is something to look into, since a sluggish forum is an unhappy forum.

Some sticky threads that haven't been posted in or used in years could probably be taken down and/or refreshed. It looks a little bad if "General Fan Fiction/Club/Whatever" chat hasn't had a post put in it in ages. Sometimes, you just need a fresh start for people to start using it again. Kind of like an old cookie jar that's filled with stale cookies and hasn't ever been used because no one likes the taste of those anymore. Just throw out the old, stale stuff, load in a fresh new look with new cookies, and people will start using it again. I know, gotta love silly analogies like this.

I'll let you know if something else comes to mind though. I'm pretty sure there was something I missed.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:07 AM
Tasteless Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tasteless

I have to say that more negative impressions come from everything being so empty than the general appearance of things here. Pretty much every Pokemon forum has a decent skin. Some of the best ones I've seen have been on tiny forums that never took off, so it is obviously not doing them any favors.

You might get better results from condensing lesser-used forums sections (10 posts yesterday in one section looks better than 2 posts, 3 posts, 1 post, 1 post, and 3 posts in a bunch of related-but-separated sections) and evaluate how many things actually need their own section with a realistic idea of activity level here. Totally empty forum sections that have posts from 3 months ago on the front page don't look good. Of course, you don't want one giant section where posts get pushed off the page in 15 minutes, but balance is key. I know when I see a section where thread #2 is from October, I don't even bother posting. I assume no one goes there.

Delete stickies that have out of date information or are never used anymore and replace them with fresh new ones. Have the authors be people who are still active. When people see that a bunch of the stickies are made by people who aren't here anymore it definitely gives the impression of a forum that has "died."

The name of this place is, well, *cough* sooooo 2000, but a rebranding would probably be too hard on the people left. It's long, it's referencing a date that is now almost 13 years ago, and just doesn't roll off the tongue like other one-word website titles.

If I had to pick a skin to be default, I'd say Your Adventure Awaits is my favorite. Version Reshiram still has some colors that look... off.

But I don't see why sparser skins should be deleted. If someone really wants to use them, even if you don't understand why, what's the harm? After all, more isn't always more in terms of web design. Some of us are turned off by 30mb pages with zooming objects, rampant abuse of the gradient tool in whatever editor the artist used, flash animations, sound effects, music, and bull-poop that follows the cursor around. I know this is the other extreme and not at all what pe2k looks like, but some people do prefer simplicity and if someone really wants to go change their skin back to BlueCommune, it's no skin off my nose.

But as a former user, the main reason I don't come back in much capacity is more due to lack of activity than any aesthetic differences. This place needs to find its niche. Probably the most appropriate audience is people who are seeking a friendlier atmosphere than somewhere more serious (like smogon) but a somewhat more competitive and slightly less restrictive atmosphere than serebii, which is a delicate balance. Could use some social events and such besides just plain giveaways, but I am not sure what. Something big, fun, and creative, that shows off the diverse talent and interests of the people left here.

Anyways, just my $.02 as someone who used to be around a lot more and isn't for whatever reason. Ciao.

Apparently 101% of all teenagers are homosexual. Who knew?

Last edited by Tasteless; 12-12-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasteless View Post
I have to say that more negative impressions come from everything being so empty than the general appearance of things here. Pretty much every Pokemon forum has a decent skin. Some of the best ones I've seen have been on tiny forums that never took off, so it is obviously not doing them any favors.

You might get better results from condensing lesser-used forums sections (10 posts yesterday in one section looks better than 2 posts, 3 posts, 1 post, 1 post, and 3 posts in a bunch of related-but-separated sections) and evaluate how many things actually need their own section with a realistic idea of activity level here. Totally empty forum sections that have posts from 3 months ago on the front page don't look good. Of course, you don't want one giant section where posts get pushed off the page in 15 minutes, but balance is key. I know when I see a section where thread #2 is from October, I don't even bother posting. I assume no one goes there.
That is true, but you can't force people to post. My thinking is more along the lines of making it feel more inviting to post. To knock every old thread from 6+ months down to the second page by making new ones would require a LOT of new threads. And having only a couple people try doing that would be very hard on them, but if more people volunteer, it should be easier (maybe make a club dedicated to one new thread per member per day?). Other Chat might be able to pull it off somewhat easily since there's plenty of misc topics that could be covered, but something like fan fiction and role play is going to have a tougher time. Trying to be the GM of 10+ RPs would be an extremely taxing responsibility.

You do have a point, I think the main encouragement should be for people to make more threads, not just post. People can fill up Chit Chat threads and Post Till You Drop game threads until there's no tomorrow, but it's really the new threads that draw attention, feel like a fresh topic, and spur people to look in.

Quote:
Delete stickies that have out of date information or are never used anymore and replace them with fresh new ones. Have the authors be people who are still active. When people see that a bunch of the stickies are made by people who aren't here anymore it definitely gives the impression of a forum that has "died."
This I can definitely agree with. If a sticky thread hasn't been used in many months (and in some cases well over a year), I'd say take them down and either refresh them and start new threads, or just leave it be and don't start a new one. Mixed Groups/Clubs Chit Chat comes to mind considering it hasn't been posted in since July of 2010. Obviously it's not needed.

Quote:
The name of this place is, well, *cough* sooooo 2000, but a rebranding would probably be too hard on the people left. It's long, it's referencing a date that is now almost 13 years ago, and just doesn't roll off the tongue like other one-word website titles.
I agree, but changing would be work. The other question is what would we change it to? Trying to get everyone to agree on a new name would be next to impossible, although I suppose just making it "PokémonElite" and dropping the needless 2000 would probably work. However, I agree that a catchier, fresh, one-word name would have more appeal and be easier to recognize.

Quote:
But I don't see why sparser skins should be deleted. If someone really wants to use them, even if you don't understand why, what's the harm? After all, more isn't always more in terms of web design. Some of us are turned off by 30mb pages with zooming objects, rampant abuse of the gradient tool in whatever editor the artist used, flash animations, sound effects, music, and bull-poop that follows the cursor around. I know this is the other extreme and not at all what pe2k looks like, but some people do prefer simplicity and if someone really wants to go change their skin back to BlueCommune, it's no skin off my nose.
Clutter, really. We really don't need all those "Smooth<Insert color>" skins, and many of the others just look pale, bland, and boring. A bunch of them aren't even or just barely Pokémon. They were fine during the days people had no idea how to make skins and connection speeds were slow and making stuff graphic intensive was too hard on people. Nowadays, just about everyone has at least a DSL or cable connection. Get the horse and buggies off the roads and let the cars come in.

Also, skins don't take THAT much time to load. Even graphics made in Flash don't suck up that much memory, but I would think repetitive animations would just get tiresome after a while. I suppose maybe one skin could be reserved for people who want something simple or are on a mobile device, but we don't need 25+ skins that look abysmally boring, and we certainly don't need that one simple skin to be the default skin. I would say drop all the boring skins, and come up with a simple skin that is good for those people that want it, but then at least looks up to date and features 5th Generation Pokémon. BlueCommune just makes it look like we've been under a rock since the 3rd Generation.

Quote:
But as a former user, the main reason I don't come back in much capacity is more due to lack of activity than any aesthetic differences. This place needs to find its niche. Probably the most appropriate audience is people who are seeking a friendlier atmosphere than somewhere more serious (like smogon) but a somewhat more competitive and slightly less restrictive atmosphere than serebii, which is a delicate balance. Could use some social events and such besides just plain giveaways, but I am not sure what. Something big, fun, and creative, that shows off the diverse talent and interests of the people left here.
Aesthetics are mainly intended for the newcomers looking upon PE2K for the first time, since they'll be exploring around and having a good presentation to draw them in is key.

Serebii isn't really that restrictive, and I've been there actively for about a year and a half now. Never once have I been approached by a mod for doing something wrong, even though one time I made an RP discussion thread when I was supposed to get mod approval first. They will lock things if it's clear the person making the thread didn't read the rules, and that's mainly to keep the junk out.

I have seen activity spike during the WAR, a good indication that all it takes is one big event to drive people to come out and get active. The main issue is to come up with something that could be just as big as it, but not be a cheesy carbon copy. I remember this was attempted during the winter a few times and it just didn't work out that well.

Interesting thing to note is the fact Serebii has pretty much engineered its club boards to prevent something like their own rendition of the WAR from ever taking place just with this single rule:

"C. No Team ABC Clubs
This does not apply to those Team Rocket/Magma/Aqua/Snagem/Galatic/etc Clubs. You just can't make a random team that was from your fanfiction or something, where nobody will have heard of your club."

Pow. You can never make an original club with a fictitious team name and theme, the core reliance of almost every WAR team to have ever existed. Even if you make it cool, explain everything, and do stuff that's even more in-depth and intriguing than Rocket/Magma/Etc, you still won't get the green light on it. That was a rather depressing read the first time I came across it.

I remember years back when Dani came up with this idea that was a big hit for a while:

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ad.php?t=13978

All it really took was just a bold move, a little creativity, and no hesitation to make it happen. We just need people to feel like they're not going to be chewed out for trying something like this. And heck, I'm sure a few people still remember those Pikachu Survivor Games I hosted a bunch of times (right here for those that don't). Really, there was no complicated math or formula I used to make that. Just an idea that started off simple, tried something bold and new, and allowed it to build upon itself. It's easy to make something simple in the beginning and add onto it if you want to feature more things later on. But overwhelming yourself right in the beginning is what causes the creators to get burnt out and give up early on these projects.

People just need to think of a project, but most importantly, manage it well and see it through to completion. It's good to come up with ideas, but having those ideas die and fall apart without closure is what depresses people. The best projects and ideas, like WARs and Pikachu Survivor Games, do whatever it takes to reach a conclusive end and declare a winner, even if it seems like a slew of people stopped caring. Trust me, if every Pikachu Survivor Game croaked before a winner came out of it, people wouldn't like it. Same thing with Trial of Juno. I had to grit my teeth to finish that thing, but I did it because I HATE leaving stuff undone and forgotten when so many people invested interest and time to follow it.

The point is big and successful things almost always start small first. Businesses, ideas, concepts, and the like. The WAR started off small at first too. As time went on, sections were added and new elements were tried. Some worked great, others not so much, but the point is the original idea was easy to build upon. If you have an idea, don't feel like you need to compete with the WAR, the Grand Daddy of PE2K competitions, in terms of size, scope, and scale, or with whatever big RP thing is going on. Sometimes all people want is just a little thing to try just because its new, and when people want more, build to give them that, but not too much so to the point where it can't be managed and it all just falls apart by not concluding or finishing the way it's supposed to.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Sealboy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sealboy Send a message via MSN to Sealboy Send a message via Skype™ to Sealboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
I've never liked BlueCommune. Sorry, I just don't. As both a graphic artist and a guy majoring in business marketing, eye-catching appeal, product recall, and communication is really needed to draw in the potential customer (in this case, new members). You've got to seize their curiosity and wonder right from the start. When people look at PE2K for the first time, they've got to see something that wows them and really tells them this place has got talent, it's cool, and they're Pokémon fans that are brimming with creativity. Las Vegas doesn't attract tourists with a poster and a box of crayons, and the opening ceremony of the Olympics sure isn't a kindergarten skit. They bring out the big guns, and we need to do that too. You need to bring out color, life, and some magic, and really rub it in that people who gaze upon PE2K are in for something cool, creative, and special.

BlueCommune just doesn't do that. Not by a long shot, no matter how you slice it. It just sends the wrong message that PE2K is just a simple forum with simple members and simple things going on, thus making everyone simpletons. Nah. If you walk into Best Buy shopping for electronics, sorry dude, but they're not stocking the black and white box televisions sets anymore or a Commodore 64. They'll show you the cool gadgets and the flat screen TVs and hardware that will knock your socks off. PE2K has to do that in a way a forum can present itself.
I understand what you're saying, and I agree completely - I did some work in business myself when I was at school, I know how important a first impression is. I was just pointing out that there will be some members who stick around and don't give a damn about the main theme. I mean, I'm here, and I'm easily the most awesome member on the forum! xD Just have a wee little bond with BlueCommune - would be nice to just keep it in the list for the older members' sake. Sometimes too much change can ruin a company - a new name would be out of the question in my opinion. Pe2k rolls off my tongue as easily as the letter "a", and the fact that it's named "2000" tells us where the forum started, and how far it's come. Keep some originality to the forum at least - a full make-over might just ruin us.

But yeah, I agree that a new main theme would be ideal. I recommend Reshiram in that case - more likely to draw in newer fans of the Pokemon universe so that we can corrupt-- er, I mean, teach them, the ways of the old. xD

~Sealboy

Click the image above to check out my YouTube Channel - it'd mean a lot.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

*Cough* I use SmoothGreen *Cough* Now if only there was a decent Aggron skin :D

Hmm, I have to agree. I'm rattling my brain trying to think of a good way to kick the fanfiction area back into gear, and it isn't easy. I really agree that starting with a giant project won't get anywhere at all. Sometimes, though, coming up with the idea in the first place is the most difficult part. You can't even think about execution without an idea! (Additionally, life and work make it difficult as well to come up).

As for skins, I would keep BlueCommune - not as default anymore - as Sealboy mentioned, for the sake of the older members and those that want a simple art style or to be reminded of the forum's humble beginnings. It does not harm on the drop down menu, and perhaps it could be renamed to "Pe2k Heritage Skin" or something, in reference to it. Or not XD
Old 12-29-2012, 02:27 AM
Neku Sakuraba Offline
Sound Garden

Send a message via AIM to Neku Sakuraba Send a message via Skype™ to Neku Sakuraba

Personally, I think BlueCommune can stay, but only if we could change the post icon from the alien with headphones on to a Poke Ball or a Pokemon or something Poketastic that's Poke...SOMETHING POKEMON THAT'S PRETTY. Otherwise, it's sorta half and half for me, because of how simplistic it is. Now...MY SUPER OVER-ANALYSIS OF THE SKINS!!!!! *Cough*

Version Reshiram: This one...OHGOD. IT'S SO POKEMAZING POKETASTIC POKEAWESOME. IT'S PRETTY. HD GRAPHICS ARE PRETTY. Anyways, the giant Reshiram and the arrows give me a sense of color and it's blue and white and....yeah. My only complaint is that whatever I've already clicked on turns orange, making it stand out from the rest. Now, I don't have problems with things different, it's just that it seems kinda unnatural here. Yes, Google and other things use it, but it kinda works to let you know you've clicked on that and that was good/bad.

Your Adventure Awaits: This gave me a nostagia trip when I first used it. It's colorful, it's cheerful, it reminds me of the WFL posters she makes, it's just good. There's only one problem. It doesn't tell you if you have received a VM or not. Only PMs. This would be one to keep, but not as the main one.

Lake Trio: This is freaking beautiful as well. The online/offline notification...er...thing is cool, giving the heart beat radar for online and a flatline if they're offline. At the top shows the Lake Trio of Mespirit, Uxie, and Azelf. It is amazing with it's shades of orange. Only problem: The new post thing looks the same for new posts and no-new posts.

Post-Apocalyptic: Looks like Fallout but only with Pokemon. 'nuff said.

Eon Twins: Mainly, it looks like the lines that Porygon would sometimes shoot out in "Electric Soldier Porygon!" only with Latios and Latias. Looks good and stuff, so, yeah.

Urban Street: It looks good as far as I know. I know TE likes it because of Typhlosion, but I can't give my full opinion because I haven't used it too much.

Christmas 2010: Not sure why it's still 2010, because Black and White came out last year, and I understand it was when the Japanese games came out. Just change it to "Christmas" or "Merry Christmas!" or "Pokemon Christmas" or whatever. I don't care. Just remove 2010. xD

Just about everything else Neo said: ...I'm just gonna trust you with those. I've seen PS3 Style. The only thing Pokemon about it is the Registeel next to the PokemonElite2000 sign. It's like BlueCommune. Otherwise, I haven't used anything else.

...Now that I look at it, it wasn't very detailed. xD Anyways, yeah. There's my two cents.

Links
Code:
Level 100: 3287 Proud Deviant of the PE2K Deviants
Have PesterChum for some reason? Contact me on it! (neonSound)
Old 12-29-2012, 06:34 AM
~Blast Burn

YAA isn't the only one that doesn't show VMs.

Eon Twins
Your Adventure Awaits
Smooth Black
Smooth Red
Smooth Lilac
Smooth Rose
Smooth Green
Silent Ghost
Alien Skin
Green Leaf
Intiview
I-Bulletins
Fancy Gray
Firaun
Future Vision
Future Vision III
Girl Talk
Kirsch
PS3 Style
Sosumi

None of those do. DX

YAA and Eon Twins are awesome, so we shouldn't trash those. The rest wouldn't be a bad idea, but not necessarily a good one either.