Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion
Default Did you know...?

I typically snoop around Bulbapedia's Beta/old stuff pages, so today I stumbled upon some glitches, looked into them, and came across something pretty neat. It would appear that there were originally 190 original Pokemon. I'd say some of you already knew this, and some of you probably don't even believe it--but it's confirmed by Mr. Morimoto himself. 39 Pokemon were removed from the Red/Green beta versions to be opened again in the making of Pocket Monsters 2 (Officially named G/S).

We now know which Pokemon were created in what order. Distinctly, Rhydon takes it's place at #1. It's pretty easy to tell the first Pokemon created from those created later. Look at Rhydon's R/B/G sprite; it clearly shows the sharp tooth coming from the mouth, the cartoony eyes, etc. Kangaskhan also shares these features, with it being the second Pokemon created. Nidoran-male, with it being the third Pokemon created.

So yes, again, 39 Pokemon were scraped. These are Scizor, Shuckle, Heracross, Ho-Oh, Sneasel, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Slugma, Magcargo, Swinub, Piloswine, Corsola, Remoraid, Octillery, Delibird, Mantine, Skarmory, Houndour, Houndoom, Kingdra, Phanpy, Donphan, Porygon2, Stantler, Smeargle, Tyrouge, Hitmontop, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Miltank, Blissey, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar, and Lugia.

"OMG CURREH UR SO STUPD TESE PKMN WERNT N GEN 1 U CRZY BOI!!!"

GO READ THIS THEN NEVER SPEAK TO ME AGAIN.

That very list shows you the index number of the original 190 Pokemon. From #001 Rhydon to #190 Victreebel. The Pokemon on that list were created in that order. Now the funny thing is, the scraped Pokemon were, well, scraped, and became MissingNo. The 31st Pokemon ever created (Scizor) became Missingno. Now when this MissingNo. is obtained, well, in Generation I it's a MissingNo. However, when in connection with a Generation II game, it will appear as...Scizor. GASP. This ultimately proves the theory. If you were to trade that Glitched Pokemon to Generation II, and it had the same hexadecimal coding (1F), you would receive a Scizor in your Generation II game, and it's even tradable. That seriously blows my mind.

I teared up while writing this I was so amazed an happy! I love discovering cool things. X3 I also frequently got chills, like when you listen to really good music. This stuff is awesomeeee.

Of course, there were a lot more than Pokemon scraped. There were original plans for a female trainer in R/B/G as well.
Spoiler:

Kakuna's arm things were scraped.

This Pokemon was originally the fire starter in Gold and Silver (THANK GOD IT WASN'T. CYNDAQUIL FTW).
Spoiler:

This page here shows some early concepts/prototype Pokemon and characters.

This was the original Weedle line.
Spoiler:

- Early Weedle.

- Kasanagi

- Kasanagi's evolution.

Unused songs...

Possible outcomes of those songs...

Original by Ken Sugimori! Restored by Koolboyman.

Of course the early Pokemon games didn't hold all the beta glory.

Just really do some research, read some Bulbapedia articles! You'll find a lot of neat things. There are tons of cool stuff that didn't quite make the cut, so go look for yourselves! You can also post cool stuff you find in this thread!

Last edited by Typhlosion Explosion; 12-08-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Neptune's Disciple Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neptune's Disciple
Default Re: Did you know...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion Explosion View Post
So yes, again, 39 Pokemon were scraped. These are Scizor, Shuckle, Heracross, Ho-Oh, Sneasel, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Slugma, Magcargo, Swinub, Piloswine, Corsola, Remoraid, Octillery, Delibird, Mantine, Skarmory, Houndour, Houndoom, Kingdra, Phanpy, Donphan, Porygon2, Stantler, Smeargle, Tyrouge, Hitmontop, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Miltank, Blissey, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar, and Lugia.
That would generally suggest that they had both the dark and steel types already thought of well before gen 2... Along with breeding. Maybe they didn't have the technical capability to include the extra functionality?

Quote:
This Pokemon was originally the fire starter in Gold and Silver (THANK GOD IT WASN'T. CYNDAQUIL FTW).
Spoiler:

That thing is beyond horrible. It's like someone set pikachu on fire after making it eat its own body weight in donuts.

Very interesting stuff!

- ND
Old 12-09-2012, 02:48 PM
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Disciple View Post
That would generally suggest that they had both the dark and steel types already thought of well before gen 2... Along with breeding. Maybe they didn't have the technical capability to include the extra functionality?
Well, if these Pokemon were included, it's more likely that they would have different typing. Tyranitar would more likely be Rock/Ground, and Scizor just Bug. They would probably have different designs as well. o:

Quote:
That thing is beyond horrible. It's like someone set pikachu on fire after making it eat its own body weight in donuts.

Very interesting stuff!

- ND
LOL, it appears the sketches were really lacking on detail. It probably would've looked a lot like Pikachu does today.

Spoiler:

Look at these; pretty meh right? XD I personally think Girafarig should've had the two head thing. Then it would be a palindrome in both name and body. :c
Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Obliveon Offline

I'm so happy they chose Cyndaquil instead. It's one of my favorites. I'm also glad they changed Weedle's evolutions to what they are now.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Dragotech Offline

A world without Beedrill or Cyndaquil???
That is horrible. Cyndaquil beats the heck out of... whatever that strange thing is.
Missingno looks neat. I kinda want one.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Obliveon Offline

Also, Kakuna's arms weren't completely scrapped. I think they use them in Diamond/Pearl or Black/White. [idk which one, I just remember seeing them XD]
Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Dragotech Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliveon View Post
Also, Kakuna's arms weren't completely scrapped. I think they use them in Diamond/Pearl or Black/White. [idk which one, I just remember seeing them XD]
Oh Yeahhhhh
I think I saw those
they blew my mind because I could not remember Kakuna having arms
Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Obliveon Offline

Ikr? I noticed it and was like "When did Kakuna grow arms?"
Old 12-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Dragotech Offline

That does make me have to ask
Does Kakuna have arms, or is it still armless?...
Cuz I don know anymo...
Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Obliveon Offline

I think it always had arms, they were just never used because Kakuna is storing energy so it can evolve. At least that's the conclusion I've come to.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:10 AM
~Blast Burn

I think it DOES have arms, just that they are tucked in and unseeable. It never uses them though. Like a cat's claws. It can retract them and only use them to attack, but since Kakuna never attacks, well. XD
Old 12-11-2012, 04:04 AM
Neptune's Disciple Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neptune's Disciple

Quote:
I think it DOES have arms, just that they are tucked in and unseeable. It never uses them though. Like a cat's claws. It can retract them and only use them to attack, but since Kakuna never attacks, well. XD
It still has arms, they're just tucked in against its body, circled in red below:

According to various pokedex entries though, these are referred to as poison barbs, which it can extend if threatened. Its pokedex entry from HG is the most recent one to refer to this, however its most clearly shown on an early Ken Sugimori card.

Quote:
Well, if these Pokemon were included, it's more likely that they would have different typing. Tyranitar would more likely be Rock/Ground, and Scizor just Bug. They would probably have different designs as well. o:
Thank god they did hold them off. Scizor and Tyranitar are all kinds of awesome.

Quote:
Spoiler:

Look at these; pretty meh right? XD I personally think Girafarig should've had the two head thing. Then it would be a palindrome in both name and body. :c
I prefer the original Girafarig as well, very cool. I also prefer Chikorita, I mean, who doesn't want a little green blob with a leaf on its head. It's not very starterish though... It reminds me a lot of Gulpin. Maybe they didn't completely scrap it after all..? The chunky Staryu is pretty cool too, it looks a bit more sturdy than the current one. Lapras looks a lot more 'Nessie'-ish too

- ND
Old 12-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Obliveon Offline

I knew it had arms.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 PM
ArielJustice Offline

T%his is some pretty interesting info :)

I actually like the Labras and Chikorita
Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 AM
Obliveon Offline

The more I look at the design that Cyndaquil replaced, the more it looks like someone lit Pikachu on fire. XD