Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » Pokemon News

Pokemon News Here you will find the Pokemon news that is on the website, posted here also so you can reply with any comments/questions.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:00 PM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000
Post Are there too many Pokemon?

We started with 151. Over the years that number has grown massively, leaving us with a current total of over 600 Pokemon, with more to come! Are there really too many Pokemon? Chance Asue of Gaming Illustrated thinks so. How many

More...
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Charon Offline

Default Re: Are there too many Pokemon?

No.

The franchise started with 150.
Was that not too many then? If not, then don't even start, unless they start shoving them out like 200 per year or something.

Just look at the picture in the article. You can tell them apart without even magnifying to proper size, pretty much the same "overwhelming" feeling as I got from my 150 poster a decade ago.

There are millions of real world animals, plants, varieties, mythological and fantastic creatures, puns cliches and stereotypes, concepts... and for Pokemon they can use any combination of these they deem interesting.

And not just that, but with BW, they have attempted to prove exactly that they can even make fresh original designs from already used concepts.

So, as long as they keep this pace and the quality of the designs, I cannot wait to see more!

Last edited by Charon; 11-29-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Dark Moonlight Offline

Thousands of animals in real life: nobody complains.
600+ Pokémon: TOO MANY POKEMON ASDFGHJKL

Spoiler:
Old 11-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

"Pokémon has outgrown me."

I can relate to this quote. For the younger members of the this forum relating to the new pokemon and games is easy. Being one of the oldest members of the forum, I find it hard to truly feel apart of the pokemon universe.

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Zetsu Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Zetsu

There'll never be enough pokemon. I think this is all because most kids tend to think "too big". they should just concentrate on one generation at a time and keep track of milestones in their dexes :P

I for one am looking forward to any new pokemon they bring out (and the games along with them)

WFL Dream Team.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

I've been with Pokemon since Silver, and I don't think there's too many today. Like others have stated, I don't see why they can't come up with more, since we have thousands of plant and animal species in real life. Personally, I look forward to seeing what new 'mons they can come up with--though I do think it's impossiblequite difficult to "catch 'em all" now xD

Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 AM
Zetsu Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Zetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmander009 View Post
I've been with Pokemon since Silver, and I don't think there's too many today. Like others have stated, I don't see why they can't come up with more, since we have thousands of plant and animal species in real life. Personally, I look forward to seeing what new 'mons they can come up with--though I do think it's impossiblequite difficult to "catch 'em all" now xD
Lol techincally you can't "catch em all" because you have to trade and evolve some pokemon to add them to your dex. xD

WFL Dream Team.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 PM
thirty-six Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
"Pokémon has outgrown me."

I can relate to this quote. For the younger members of the this forum relating to the new pokemon and games is easy. Being one of the oldest members of the forum, I find it hard to truly feel apart of the pokemon universe.
+1

I feel like there are too many now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Moonlight View Post
Thousands of animals in real life: nobody complains.
600+ Pokémon: TOO MANY POKEMON ASDFGHJKL
There are quite a few people who do.
And plus in real life it's illegal to hunt and capture wild animals… so really comparing pokemon to real life is kinda like saying PETA is right… o.o'

Pokemon needs to focus less on the amount of pokemon but rather the storytelling… the whole being no.1 thing is getting stale.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Frost Dragon Offline

I don't think the number is entirely the problem. The problem comes from the fact that after a while, the creators seem to run out of ideas for the pokemon, to the point that they just draw a face on an inanimate object. I'm noticing that far more recently.

Lucario@312
Hatch: 327
Lucario: 432
Level100: 612
Old 12-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Charon Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost Dragon View Post
I don't think the number is entirely the problem. The problem comes from the fact that after a while, the creators seem to run out of ideas for the pokemon, to the point that they just draw a face on an inanimate object. I'm noticing that far more recently.
Yeah I see what you mean. Wait, no I don't.

With pokemon designs, not even the sky is the limit.
That they are running out of ideas is only your baseless assumption.
How do I know? Because people have been saying that since ever. I didn't see where they were coming from with that back then, and I still fail trying to, now.

They once said in an interview that they have so many designs each gen, that only a fraction actually make it into the games.

Oh and next time, consider the fact that you are literally defending six eggs with faces.

Last edited by Charon; 12-02-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:08 AM
winstein Offline

Well, it seems that when criticising the designs of Generation 5's diverse range of species, Trubbish and Vanillite are almost always the scapegoats that you feel sorry for. I thought Generation 5 got better for their more complex designs on their Pokemon overall, showing that there are still different ideas worth exploring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost Dragon View Post
Well, when looking at Generation 5's roster, I only see 7 Pokemon that fit the criteria of "inanimate object with faces" (Vanillite family, Trubbish family and Cryogonal and possibly Cofagrigus). You should keep in mind that this is not an entirely new thing, since Generation 1 already does have a number of this. On that roster, I see 11 of them (Koffing family, Grimer family, Magnemite & Magneton, Voltorb family, Ditto, Geodude and Graveler). Point is, drawing a face on an inanimate object is already an old idea, and probably is a largely unexplored field.

Consider that every Generation, there are different Pokemon designers. The only one to my knowledge that stayed is Ken Sugimori. How do they run out of ideas if they used fresh talent? Also, how can you tell what an "idea" is?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by winstein; 12-07-2012 at 12:11 AM.