Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Role Play » Role Play Sign Ups & Discussion

Role Play Sign Ups & Discussion Sign up for and discuss Role Plays here. Have anything to ask about a Role Play you're in, or need to put up extra info for people to refer to? What if you need help with an idea that's missing that extra kick? Do it all here!

Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 AM
Altrius Offline

Default [DS] A question of interest. (Viral Overgrowth Idea)

Hey guys.

So I was checking out some old posts of mine from some years ago. I stumbled across this old RP that was created. It was Viral Overgrowth, an RP hosted on the GTS+ forums for both PE2K and GTS+ Roleplayers to post in. It was probably the best forum post RP I've ever participated in, because Neo Pika, with NES2 and some of the GTS folk put a shed load of effort in. Just to show you how much effort went into it, here is the sign up alone, and the amount of story behind it.

The RP reached a colossal 22 pages in just a couple of months. It really was great, and the participants enjoyed it so much. For anyone interested in reading the RP, heres the link to it

There was even a follow up RP called Spring Cataclysm! I wasn't a participant of that sadly, I can't remember the reason why. Maybe I just wanted to leave my character Chuck dead.

Anyway. The point of this thread? I think the reason this RP was so successful was because it was so well planned. It was evident a lot of time and energy had been spent putting this in effect, and while the story was rich and engrossing, it was simple enough to join without feeling too overwhelmed. What I -really- want to know, is is there anybody interested in planning an RP or such a scale? Perhaps not on duel forums, but something that in-depth takes a fair amount of work.

I've noticed that recently RP hasn't been as busy of late, and perhaps a large-scale RP like Viral Overgrowth was could bring some excitement about.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:48 AM
Winter Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Winter
Default Re: [DS] A question of interest. (Viral Overgrowth Idea)

The problem, Alty, is that the RP boards are just slow. We get a lot of people who sign up but can't continue or don't even make a first post. The "old" RPers are falling victim to loss of free time because we're getting older and suddenly have jobs and college to deal with, and we're not really getting many new RPers to fill in the blank spaces the missing "old" RPers are leaving behind. There was a massive amount of planning that went into (and is still going on in) CM's Interlinked RP and it didn't get nearly the amount of attention that we expected. The WAR RP before it had a TON of planning go into it and got a massive amount of people to the point that I ended up dropping out because it was way too many people to deal with, and then the number of participants dropped like crazy before the end.

Personally I think to return the RP boards to their former glory, we need to find a way to get more people into RPing...actually we probably need to get more people on PE2K in general. The problem is that it just isn't happening.

Banner by me! | My dA | My FF.Net
Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Hyosuke Offline

Send a message via AIM to Hyosuke Send a message via MSN to Hyosuke Send a message via Skype™ to Hyosuke

There needs to honestly be more advertising about this RP board. There are plenty of places to RP however, that is, if you put in role playing forum's directly into google. If more writers are interested in Role Playing in a forum style, things might work out. However, a lot of the role players I know prefer role playing in an instant messaging style. It's just difficult with forum role playing right now.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

NES2 actually did try to host another dual-forum Role Play--but here on Pe2k a few months ago. From what I could tell, it didn't really go all that well--though I think half of the problem was that he tried to do it right after WAR and everybody was pretty exhausted at that point.

I agree with Winter in that we don't have a lot of our older experienced RPers around, and there are too few new RPers showing up. Like Hyo said, the RP section just isn't getting enough attention.

I think it'd be an awesome idea to get something big like this planned--but the actual planning won't guarantee success. I've seen too many cases where RPs that had obvious effort and energy poured into them falter because people just don't follow through. I think that if we want to try an idea like this, there needs to be advertising--maybe website articles and such, to catch and keep people's interest--and good activity. I'm starting to think that maybe the RP section needs to evolve a little--go towards lighter RPing like what's going on with Gotta Catch 'Em All and such.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:24 AM
Altrius Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmander009 View Post
NES2 actually did try to host another dual-forum Role Play--but here on Pe2k a few months ago. From what I could tell, it didn't really go all that well--though I think half of the problem was that he tried to do it right after WAR and everybody was pretty exhausted at that point.

I agree with Winter in that we don't have a lot of our older experienced RPers around, and there are too few new RPers showing up. Like Hyo said, the RP section just isn't getting enough attention.

I think it'd be an awesome idea to get something big like this planned--but the actual planning won't guarantee success. I've seen too many cases where RPs that had obvious effort and energy poured into them falter because people just don't follow through. I think that if we want to try an idea like this, there needs to be advertising--maybe website articles and such, to catch and keep people's interest--and good activity. I'm starting to think that maybe the RP section needs to evolve a little--go towards lighter RPing like what's going on with Gotta Catch 'Em All and such.

I definitely agree with this. The RP forums -do- need a lot more advertising to bring in some new blood. Perhaps a big RP planned, like something i've mentioned, could be used as advertising fodder. I dont know, maybe i'm clutching at straws here.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Phantom Dancer Offline

For one, my own RP may not seem well-planned, but I assure you it is. I am also fully determined to go far with it, as I have lots of plans for the future (the near one, too!), as long as my fellow roleplayers are willing. ;)

The second link to the RP seems to be broken, by the way. I'd be happy to read this RP and, well, learn from it if possible.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Hyosuke Offline

Send a message via AIM to Hyosuke Send a message via MSN to Hyosuke Send a message via Skype™ to Hyosuke

I think one of the best ways to go about bringing in new people is to simply just tell this board about your friends who are writers who have a passion for Pokemon. It's hard to really go about advertising a RP board to people, especially newbies, because the prospect of spending time to properly write a segment to a much larger story doesn't seem all that exciting to them.

Newer generations will obviously be younger, and I feel so old saying this, but the younger generations in particular are much more use to an "Instant action" kind of approach to things with minimal grammar needing to be done. Like I said, Instant Messaging role plays are debilitatingly more popular than forum (novel) like replaying.

To go about bringing in more people, as stated before, we need to talk about the board to people who enjoy writing to a larger story and do not mind novel type writing as well as semi-extensive reading.

Signatures that suggest different aspects about the board (to be used on other forums) would also be beneficial. For me, the prospect of fantasy romances, school life, and promising adventure really draws my interest. For everyone, interests will be different. But, those are just mine.

Finally, obvious new-comers should really be welcomed well. In my own experience, wanting to role play on other boards as a new comer is daunting. You're not too sure how the people on the board are, what kind of expectations they have on you, particular rules for the board, etc. A larger Role Play introduction area would probably be beneficial as well and Role Play section rules should be made as a very obvious sticky (As I've almost never been able to find the rules [If they're suppose to be obvious on PE2K, perhaps they were too obvious that they slipped past me])

Making things easy for new role players to start role playing would help with new comers. This is just my own two-cents on the matter.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:22 PM
The Frozen Prince Offline

Send a message via AIM to The Frozen Prince Send a message via MSN to The Frozen Prince Send a message via Yahoo to The Frozen Prince

Hey there,

I don't know if anyone remembers me or not on here but I used to be quite an active roleplayer here a few years ago but as course as you grow up you don't have as much free time as you used to had. I couldn't keep up with the demand of having to do a post everyday and found myself putting my roleplaying to the side for a while but now I want to return. I'd love to make a Roleplay with someone that is carefully crafted and that a unique and interesting plot but that won't be too strenuous for people like me who have to juggle a univeristy life with a social life with a Roleplaying life. I've been looking at this site for a while and it's just not what it used to be. The roleplays seem very thrown together as if they were written right there and then. They don't seem to have a lot of thought behind them, bar a few, like the older roleplays used to. Anyway, if anyone is interrested in making a roleplay let me know, thanks.

{Avvie and Sig by Me}

Old 11-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

I'm glad to see a discussion like this going on. As a lot of you seem to be interested in a big RP like idea. I'm personally trying to work on a full scale RP that's unique to PE2K, similar to GCeA but not exactly the same. It would have it's own storyline, it's own system and would be a continuous story, most likely with arcs and the like. Being incredibly busy with real life, I've only had so much time to develope the idea. IF anyone has any suggestions for what they would like to see for such a thing, feel free to PM me!

As for advertising, I'm not sure if everyone is aware of the Roleplay Submissions thread we have. PE2K is advertising people's roleplays on the site, which is something that hasn't been done in previous years. I can't think of better advertisement than that, for it to show up on the main website.

The other conundrum is that we can't force people to role play or role play the way that those who are still here, call a standard. We can only encourage people to post and role play. I understand how newbies feel when they come to a new forum. I still remember my first time years ago. I've always seen people try to be friendly and correct people, and help them out as best they can.

Of course though, it's the whole forum that's lacking activity. Some places were hit harder than others, and we're all trying to find ways to attract more people.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Winter Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Winter

I remember you, TFP! Not well, but enough my jaw about dropped off when I saw you username. XD

I think part of the thrown-together looking RPs are due in part to the fact that some of our newbies just try to jump right in, without trying to join (or most of the time, even look at) other RPs first. As for speed, the RP boards have been moving slowly ever since WAR this year after the event brought the boards to an almost complete halt. Trust me--speed will not be a problem; the RPs I'm in probably get a post every few days if we're lucky.

Now, to go completely out of order and address what Hyo said, maybe our members on dA could try advertising through journals? Not obsessively, but just a quick "Hey, I know this site that has an awesome but dying RP community," or something? We have a dA group, but there are very few people in it and hardly anything ever gets submitted to it, possibly due to the fact that it has very little publicity, but we could try changing that. Now if you have ideas for the RP board itself, definitely PM Sabi about it; she's always up for suggestions on how to make this place better. I know I suggested a kind of mentoring or buddy program awhile back... What bothers me, though, is that I don't know that anyone would bother looking at an introduction thread or the rules. There's a problem with rules and people not looking at stuff in the trades section, and I'm not sure it would be any different here. I am all for being more welcome if people think it would work, though. It was part of my reasoning behind suggesting a kind of mentoring/buddy program.

Banner by me! | My dA | My FF.Net
Old 11-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Altrius Offline

I apologise if anybody got offended. I wasn't insinuating that some of the RP's here were crap, but you can tell the difference between some RP's that have either been written there and then, taken an hour or had weeks worth of thought and effort put into them.

Im glad the feedback has been somewhat positive, and people are eager to get some kind of idea or initiative going.

Also anybody having problems reading that RP I linked, you have to have an account on GTS+ /facepalm.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

Offended? What was offensive? LoL, I didn't find anything offensive xD

To Hyo's post: I would try to bring people here, but honestly, this is the only forum I hang out around, and I don't know anybody in real life who are like what you've said (actually, I'm not sure anyone outside my own family and 1 close friend know about my love for Pokemon, lol). I like the idea of signature advertising, and it makes me think--maybe we could form a RP group or something that tries to promote the RP board. They can use banners or whatever, and have a thread to discuss RPs or whatever. IDK, just throwing that out there xD But I agree that RPing seems to be evolving, and it might be best to make things easier for new RPers, as you said.

@The Frozen Prince: I remember you! :D Not sure if you remember me xD But yeah, it seems like there's a lot of simple RPs, but like Hyo said, it's probably because new RPers just want to jump right into the action (and they don't have a lot of experience, lol). Writing novel RPs takes quite a time, and often times they just want the story to progress as quickly as possible, right? It's kind of sad, because I would like to see more top-notch RPing going on, but it seems like we might have to adapt. Perhaps as the new RPers get more experienced, we'll see better quality coming from them. IDK

To Sabi's Post: I think that what you're trying to do with Journeymon is fantastic--everyone should go check it out! It's an RP that I think is really attempting to do what Hyo said and make it easier for new RPers to join. (I hope that it gets featured on the main site soon, as it could use some more attention from RPers). Sabi simplified the SU sheet so that history isn't included (the one part of the SU sheet that intimidates everyone, I think), and also made the requirement that each post must have at least 3 sentences. We might have to make these kind of adjustments for future RPs, perhaps. Anyways, I think it has a lot of potential, and I'd certainly like to see it get more attention.

To Winter's post: (oops, I think I said some of the things you said earlier, lol, sorry xD) Yeah, now adays it seems to be about speed rather than depth, and we might have to cater to this trend, it seems.

dA! Now that could be a way to do what Hyo suggested, with recruiting good writers! I also like the idea of mentors--maybe it could go with the group I suggested earlier. Anyway, if they spot newcomers, they could volunteer to help them get started--or, new RPers could contact them through PM/VMs.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Altrius Offline

Quote:
To Sabi's Post: I think that what you're trying to do with Journeymon is fantastic--everyone should go check it out! It's an RP that I think is really attempting to do what Hyo said and make it easier for new RPers to join. (I hope that it gets featured on the main site soon, as it could use some more attention from RPers). Sabi simplified the SU sheet so that history isn't included (the one part of the SU sheet that intimidates everyone, I think), and also made the requirement that each post must have at least 3 sentences. We might have to make these kind of adjustments for future RPs, perhaps. Anyways, I think it has a lot of potential, and I'd certainly like to see it get more attention.
I like everything about Sabi's RP except for one thing. The whole points value things. Just doesn't sit right with me because i feel it restricts how I want to Roleplay. I cant start off with the pokemone that I want etc. Thats just personal opinion by the way. But had it not been for that I would have signed up in a heartbeat.

And I only apologized to cover myself, just in case somebody was, or did get offended :)
Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Altrius, the RP worked well because people (self included) were PASSIONATE about the idea and I and NES2 presented it as a way for them to get excited in it and see the value in taking part in it. Fun, fresh, new, inventive, intriguing, and many other positive emotions went into this to create value for those taking part in it. I'll be honest, I see a lot of people using "no free time" as an excuse, but then they talk about the most recent video games they've been playing or whatever movie they last saw. Or they come here to post to chat about things. Isn't that means of spending free time? Of course.

It's okay to do that, but the truth is, you're just deciding to spend your time elsewhere and you just don't see the value in RPing right now. Maybe your last RP bombed, or got boring, or people just weren't receptive to it. As a result, your motivation to try again was shot down and maybe you felt it was a waste of time. As a result, your passion to get up and try to give it another go was thrown aside and you lost that feeling to get immersive, imaginative, and creative with an RP. There's nothing to be ashamed about if this happens, it just means you need to step back, rediscover what you like and enjoy about RPing again by checking out what's new and how people are enjoying it, and prepare to try again in the hopes you'll succeed and have a great and interesting storyline with plenty of involvement. You haven't totally failed until you've completely given up.

You have free time, no one wakes up and works themselves to death every waking hour regardless of job or school. Everyone would burnout if that's how we all lived our lives. At the moment, you just feel those video games, movies, and whatever else you spend that time on takes precedence over RPing. Believe it or not, downtime is everywhere. It's when you're in your bed trying to fall asleep, or drive to work or school, or wait for someone. That's golden opportunity time to let ideas and thoughts piece themselves together to get an intriguing idea going. Call it daydreaming if you'd like, but hey, that's how ideas came to me. I don't look at a blank Word document and sit there stumped. I attack it outright by preparing ideas ahead of time. Daydream a little, turn on some music to set the mood, and let your ideas flow. In terms of getting in RP posts, it really doesn't take too long if you imagine and think over what you plan on doing in that downtime. You just need to attack that blank Word document ahead of time.

To have a successful RP, you have to LOVE your own idea and make it show with how you present it and demonstrate its value to the community and your prospective RPers. Ideas need time, energy, and thought to incubate. It's an art in itself, and you can't rush that if you want it to be good. You also have to see what works from seeing what others do around you, take a risk, and if it fails, try again with a new approach. Even as an RP creator, you have to constantly reinvent yourself and be dynamic with the community's expectations. See where the bar is, and jump over it. Don't "settle" with something you "think" might be good. Keep working on it until you really, really feel it IS good and you're barely able to contain yourself wanting to try it out.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Altrius Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
Altrius, the RP worked well because people (self included) were PASSIONATE about the idea and I and NES2 presented it as a way for them to get excited in it and see the value in taking part in it. Fun, fresh, new, inventive, intriguing, and many other positive emotions went into this to create value for those taking part in it. I'll be honest, I see a lot of people using "no free time" as an excuse, but then they talk about the most recent video games they've been playing or whatever movie they last saw. Or they come here to post to chat about things. Isn't that means of spending free time? Of course.

It's okay to do that, but the truth is, you're just deciding to spend your time elsewhere and you just don't see the value in RPing right now. Maybe your last RP bombed, or got boring, or people just weren't receptive to it. As a result, your motivation to try again was shot down and maybe you felt it was a waste of time. As a result, your passion to get up and try to give it another go was thrown aside and you lost that feeling to get immersive, imaginative, and creative with an RP. There's nothing to be ashamed about if this happens, it just means you need to step back, rediscover what you like and enjoy about RPing again by checking out what's new and how people are enjoying it, and prepare to try again in the hopes you'll succeed and have a great and interesting storyline with plenty of involvement. You haven't totally failed until you've completely given up.

You have free time, no one wakes up and works themselves to death every waking hour regardless of job or school. Everyone would burnout if that's how we all lived our lives. At the moment, you just feel those video games, movies, and whatever else you spend that time on takes precedence over RPing. Believe it or not, downtime is everywhere. It's when you're in your bed trying to fall asleep, or drive to work or school, or wait for someone. That's golden opportunity time to let ideas and thoughts piece themselves together to get an intriguing idea going. Call it daydreaming if you'd like, but hey, that's how ideas came to me. I don't look at a blank Word document and sit there stumped. I attack it outright by preparing ideas ahead of time. Daydream a little, turn on some music to set the mood, and let your ideas flow. In terms of getting in RP posts, it really doesn't take too long if you imagine and think over what you plan on doing in that downtime. You just need to attack that blank Word document ahead of time.

To have a successful RP, you have to LOVE your own idea and make it show with how you present it and demonstrate its value to the community and your prospective RPers. Ideas need time, energy, and thought to incubate. It's an art in itself, and you can't rush that if you want it to be good. You also have to see what works from seeing what others do around you, take a risk, and if it fails, try again with a new approach. Even as an RP creator, you have to constantly reinvent yourself and be dynamic with the community's expectations. See where the bar is, and jump over it. Don't "settle" with something you "think" might be good. Keep working on it until you really, really feel it IS good and you're barely able to contain yourself wanting to try it out.

Well i'll be damned. Good to see you again Neo.

Erugh, everything you've said is right and I cant really make any points where I disagree. Particularly in the free-time regard as it -is- an excuse. You're right as well on the RP bombing part as a fair few of my RP's have crashed and burned, not gone to plan or simply lost interest. Perhaps it was because I lost interest myself, or perhaps its because people weren't interested in the way i presented said RP's. I'll never know. Maybe im not meant to know either.

But I -do- want to create an RP i have real passion for. Maybe I have to take a week away and think, plan, create, daydream and real focus on what I want it to do. Its a daunting prospect making something on such a large scale as the RP's you've made, but what you've said about grasping that idea is right and wanting to do it is even more important.