Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga

Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga Talk about the Pokemon anime, movies and manga. NOTE: It's possible that there may be discussions in here that may spoil something for you if you haven't seen that episode/movie/manga before. Please use the spoiler code when appropriate.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:21 PM
precita Offline

Default What did you think of the Contest episodes?

For a long time Contests were in the anime. 8 years to be exact. What did you think of them and May and Dawn?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah
Default Re: What did you think of the Contest episodes?

Wow 8 years... kinda crazy its been that long!

I actually was not a fan of contests at all. I didn't like them much in the games and I didn't really enjoy any of May's contest battles.

I recently decided to get back into the anime which I quit watching after Hoenn. I started with some Sinnoh episodes and just watched the end of Sinnoh League Victors today. I have to say I think contests improved a lot during Sinnoh. I don't know if its just the character of Dawn and the fact that we got to know some of the other competitors that makes them more interesting or if its the contests themselves. I was very impressed with the Grand Festival contest battles, especially the battle between Zoe and Nando. I think the writers were getting much more creative with moves and combinations and am surprised they decided not to include them in the black/white anime.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:45 AM
iApollo Offline

I always liked the Contest episodes, it gave a really different way of viewing various Pokémon attacks.

That, and the guy that always dressed up as Cacturne made me laugh.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:42 PM
precita Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
Wow 8 years... kinda crazy its been that long!

I actually was not a fan of contests at all. I didn't like them much in the games and I didn't really enjoy any of May's contest battles.

I recently decided to get back into the anime which I quit watching after Hoenn. I started with some Sinnoh episodes and just watched the end of Sinnoh League Victors today. I have to say I think contests improved a lot during Sinnoh. I don't know if its just the character of Dawn and the fact that we got to know some of the other competitors that makes them more interesting or if its the contests themselves. I was very impressed with the Grand Festival contest battles, especially the battle between Zoe and Nando. I think the writers were getting much more creative with moves and combinations and am surprised they decided not to include them in the black/white anime.
Why didn't you enjoy any of May's contests battles? They are pretty much the reason contests became popular in the first place.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

I guess I didn't really find them interesting to watch. I haven't rewatched any of them in a long time now (since they first aired!) so I don't really remember them that well. I wasn't a fan of May so that probably added to it.

I really wasn't a fan of contests during Sinnoh either, though the Grand Festival really impressed me with the creative combinations used and I have a new found respect for them. (A bit late, I know!) I think it's just something that has improved over time. Who knows, if I went back and watched May's contest battles now I might be impressed!

What's your opinion, precita?
Old 09-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

MORE! I love contests! I've always wanted to be a Coordinator! <3
Old 09-23-2012, 01:39 AM
precita Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
I guess I didn't really find them interesting to watch. I haven't rewatched any of them in a long time now (since they first aired!) so I don't really remember them that well. I wasn't a fan of May so that probably added to it.

I really wasn't a fan of contests during Sinnoh either, though the Grand Festival really impressed me with the creative combinations used and I have a new found respect for them. (A bit late, I know!) I think it's just something that has improved over time. Who knows, if I went back and watched May's contest battles now I might be impressed!

What's your opinion, precita?
I suppose the difference you're talking about is they started adding CG effects to the appeals and battles in DP which made everything look more impressive.

Kanto, Johto and Hoenn didn't use those CG effects during the battles or contests due to the old animation style. I think during the Battle Frontier saga is when they started doing it for the first time as some of May's ice beam appeals were obviously CG animated.

So that's probably what you were noticing, they did it in DP to make the battles look more flashy, not just in the contests but in Ash's battles too.