Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga

Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga Talk about the Pokemon anime, movies and manga. NOTE: It's possible that there may be discussions in here that may spoil something for you if you haven't seen that episode/movie/manga before. Please use the spoiler code when appropriate.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah
Default The Pokemon League

Something I've been wondering about lately is how Trainers qualify to enter the Pokemon League in the anime. Do you think once someone earns 8 badges, they can then enter the league as many times as they want or are the badges only good for one use? And if you want to re-enter, you have to go back and earn 8 more? Or is it you can only enter the Pokemon League once in each region no matter what?

There definitely seem to be more than 8 badges per region in the anime, so going back and getting a new set of badges isn't as silly as it would be in the games. Ifyou were allowed to rechallenge the league though, it's kinda weird that Trainers don't seem to do so. I'm not sure if anyone's ever mentioned being able to enter more than once... It may make sense that you can only enter once, otherwise there would be a crazy amount of participants...

Any thoughts about the Pokemon league or badges?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion
Default Re: The Pokemon League

That's a good question, but I think you should be able to compete in that league as many times with those badges. I mean, you've already proved your worth. I think that was the whole point of the badges anyways.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:03 AM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
Something I've been wondering about lately is how Trainers qualify to enter the Pokemon League in the anime. Do you think once someone earns 8 badges, they can then enter the league as many times as they want or are the badges only good for one use? And if you want to re-enter, you have to go back and earn 8 more? Or is it you can only enter the Pokemon League once in each region no matter what?

There definitely seem to be more than 8 badges per region in the anime, so going back and getting a new set of badges isn't as silly as it would be in the games. Ifyou were allowed to rechallenge the league though, it's kinda weird that Trainers don't seem to do so. I'm not sure if anyone's ever mentioned being able to enter more than once... It may make sense that you can only enter once, otherwise there would be a crazy amount of participants...

Any thoughts about the Pokemon league or badges?
How often to does the Pokemon League take place ? is it once a year ?

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 07-26-2012, 01:05 AM
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
How often to does the Pokemon League take place ? is it once a year ?
No idea, Bulbapedia just says "periodically" and "seemingly annually". Every year would probably make the most sense, it's not like Ash ever has to wait long to enter after he gets his badges.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

I was always stumped with time. You can sign-up at anytime I suppose, but what if you sign-up later in the year? They should do it a tri-periods, or three times a year, and group trainers depending on sign-up time or something. XD
Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 AM
mintjelly Offline
Father Cat

Send a message via AIM to mintjelly Send a message via Skype™ to mintjelly

If it were every year, I imagine getting 8 more badges would be the most logical thing to do.
It would show the Elite Four that you've improved your battling if you can earn 8 more badges.

Shun the non-believer
Old 07-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Expecto Patronum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintjelly View Post
If it were every year, I imagine getting 8 more badges would be the most logical thing to do.
It would show the Elite Four that you've improved your battling if you can earn 8 more badges.

In that case, I wonder if they confiscate badges (doesn't seem like it since Paul's brother still had his) or if they have some kinda high tech thing which determines if they've already been used to enter once.

Considering the advanced technology, the second option seems plausible, but then again, didn't Misty and Tracy just go and make more badges just out of basic materials in a Chronicles ep?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:27 AM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

I really think it takes place every couple of years. I also think they would need to collect another 8 badges to return again. The badges would be like a qualifying match before getting to move on.

In every major sport teams have to earn a chance to compete in tournaments. They do this every year. So it would make sense that people would have to do the same. There is really no way to know how many gyms there truly are.

Last edited by Judge Dredd; 07-26-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:00 AM
Phantasm.Angel Offline

Send a message via AIM to Phantasm.Angel

According to the book Extreme Pokemon, the Indigo League occurs once every year.
Has there ever been any mention during the Pokemon league episodes of a trainer's standing in a previous tournament?

paired with the marvelous Eternal Moonlight, creator of the above
Old 07-26-2012, 03:11 AM
Sheepat Offline

I remember that in Pokemon Adventures, getting all eight badges meant you could skip the preliminaries and go straight to the finals. Maybe it's something similar in the Anime, where getting all eight badges means you automatically blow through a ton of the preliminaries, but not all of them?
Old 07-26-2012, 03:43 AM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepat View Post
I remember that in Pokemon Adventures, getting all eight badges meant you could skip the preliminaries and go straight to the finals. Maybe it's something similar in the Anime, where getting all eight badges means you automatically blow through a ton of the preliminaries, but not all of them?
that would explain a lot, it would mean that people could re enter every year without the badges. A lot of trainers would be knocked out during the preliminaries.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:56 AM
Charizard Michelle Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charizard Michelle

Here is something to consider. What if a person is barred from entering in the same League that they competed in the previously year? That would explain why Ash or the other trainers simply didn't reenter the League the very next year.

A trainer may have to wait a few years before entering again. Also, they would have to collect eight new badges in order to reenter. This can also encourage the trainer to travel to different regions to test their skill and become stronger. Also give them something to do until they are allow to reenter a League that they have recently competed in.

I need to find a new girl-on-girl animation.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Expecto Patronum!

Makes sense that Trainers would have to wait a while and probably collect new badges. It would be nice if they set out some more solid rules in the show, but I guess they don't want to say anything they might have to go back on later, so it's easier just to leave it undefined.

When you consider that the Pokemon League Championships only has one winner, who then has the opportunity to challenge the Elite Four, well, the Champion spot must have a pretty low turnover rate. xD

The manga thing is interesting, with skipping preliminaries. But it seems like the game and show have always maintained that you need 8 badges to enter the Pokemon League. It would seem kinda strange if people could possibly challenge the E4 without even having 8 badges, but maybe that's just me!

Last edited by Pokemon Trainer Sarah; 07-27-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
Makes sense that Trainers would have to wait a while and probably collect new badges. It would be nice if they set out some more solid rules in the show, but I guess they don't want to say anything they might have to go back on later, so it's easier just to leave it undefined.

When you consider that the Pokemon League Championships only has one winner, who then has the opportunity to challenge the Elite Four, well, the Champion spot must have a pretty low turnover rate. xD

The manga thing is interesting, with skipping preliminaries. But it seems like the game and show have always maintained that you need 8 badges to enter the Pokemon League. It would seem kinda strange if people could possibly challenge the E4 without even having 8 badges, but maybe that's just me!
maybe if they made a show just about the league itself or the elite four that would be cool. The battles would be pretty intense !