Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah
Default Re: Aqua on action replay

This is probably not a very popular opinion, but I personally believe that legally hacked Pokemon should not be allowed in any Wi-Fi battles or competitions at all. It's not a fair playing field unless EVERYONE has access to their own AR and perfect Pokemon, which is not possible. I'm also against RNG abuse because it is not how the game is supposed to work and again, gives some people unfair advantages. Sadly, even official Nintendo events like the Video Game Championships are full of "legal" hacks and I think it really sucks that someone could spend months making a team when someone else can do it in 5 minutes and end up with even better Pokemon that the person who put in all the effort (So it's not just saving time, it's also giving an advantage). If you want to create a Pokemon with minimal effort just for battling, why don't you just use Pokemon Online? That's exactly what it's for! And it's much quicker and easier than Wi-Fi since you can set your own rules.

I'm not a fan of competitive battling anyway because I think it has meant a lot of the fanbase, who had dreamed about a way to battle Pokemon with people around the world for years, are excluded from enjoying battling if they don't want to get into EV/IV training/breeding. And I think using legal hacks is just another level on top of that, which adds to that problem. I know it's accepted in the competitive battling community, but I personally don't think that's how the game should be played. And so the WFL was born... xD
Old 07-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
And so the WFL was born... xD
IF YOU'D HURRY UP ALREADY GAWSH

I agree! And that's why I loved the WFL. Just casual and fun. <3
Old 07-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Sarah it sounds like your problem is that AR/RNG create an unfair environment. There are unfair advantages in every competition, weather it be bigger cities having schools with more students there for having more options for there student teams, or teams with larger budgets to pay better athletes and get better equipment. It shouldnt be looked at like that, because while its time consuming any person who really wants to competitive battle will find a way to go through the steps so they can do it. I have known a lot of great battlers who do thier own chain breeding and Iv breeding and they are very very proud of what they have done. They continue to do it because thats what they prefer.

As far as the battling itself, the general Idea is that people just want to battle, how they got the pokemon doesnt really matter, its what they do in the battle that counts. The strategy is what most people look at. Thats why Wifi is like Po these days.

Last but not least, when I started my clan back in 08 it was the first clan around that said no to Pokesav pokemon. I got a lot of crap from other clans and in wars about this..Its not until right before i became a mod that I really started to look at the issue from both sides. As the mod of the section I had to open up more to the idea that sav'd pokemon are just like everything else as long as they stats and evs were legit.

Also the internet is packed with places to casual battle :) plus you created a haven for the casual battlers !

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 07-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

I know the whole 'life's not fair' argument, I just don't think it should be used to justify things not being fair when it's possible to make them so. xD

Like I said, I understand why people would want a way to quickly make Pokemon if they just want to battle. But I don't get why they wouldn't just use Pokemon Online in that case and leave Wi-Fi to people who want to follow the rules! But yeah, it's just my opinion, I know it's a bit outdated!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Master Aqua Offline

Send a message via AIM to Master Aqua Send a message via MSN to Master Aqua

The reason why most competive battlers allow Ar is because it's look at as more of a time saver, you can do something in a week within 12 seconds and as judge has pointed out time and time again it's the stratigy that counts and in an eviroment where people tries anything to win people too busy to rng would be left in the dust if not for AR, and quite frankly in an ideal word everyone should have an AR and for people who say it's not fair i don't have one, i say save up and get one it's worth the money to save time and it really costs next to nothing to get an ar these days, to such an extent i have a spare one for emergencies. Point being Ar is not really cheating if your just using it legally, so long as your using pokemon that can exist the bulk of competive battlers don't care if your using AR.

The thing is you need to understand the competive nature of CB, it's a dog eat dog world and the reason po and showdon have taken over wi fi as the main battling source is because no effort is involved in getting the mons, even less effort is required than actually using an AR, but hey I am not fuss i use showdon because using ar and wi fi is such a chore, i do use wifi to replicate rare event pokemon!
Old 07-28-2012, 02:53 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
Sarah it sounds like your problem is that AR/RNG create an unfair environment. There are unfair advantages in every competition, weather it be bigger cities having schools with more students there for having more options for there student teams, or teams with larger budgets to pay better athletes and get better equipment. It shouldnt be looked at like that, because while its time consuming any person who really wants to competitive battle will find a way to go through the steps so they can do it. I have known a lot of great battlers who do thier own chain breeding and Iv breeding and they are very very proud of what they have done. They continue to do it because thats what they prefer.
I had the reverse happen. My high school, while not the best around, lost to a PRIVATE STUDENT GROUP. Out of all the awards given for literacy and grammar at that college, our high school won only one award, and it was third place. I've never been so humiliated in my life, and even the compliment from the professor didn't help. Worst of all is that most likely half of them were written with help from their parents, not on their own like mine :/

Yes, AR can save time. But the problem is, people who use it usually go for perfect IVs. If you create an AR Pokemon that would be equivalent to a bred Pokemon with perhaps 2-3 perfect IVs, that's fine. Sure, you were cheaper in getting it, but hey. Perfect IVs though are insanely difficult to get without any help and immense luck. If you use a cheating device to get them, that's not fair.

And no, I don't support the idea of having everyone get ARs. Two wrongs don't make a right. It means so much more to get 2-3 perfect IV Pokemon through breeding and hard work than a perfect IV Pokemon from a cheating device.

I create teams, yes, but I don't really compete in battles (no Wi-Fi). I do breed and EV train, but I'll EV train a Pokemon that is just decent (like my shiny Tauros. Sure, his IVs suck and such, but with support he could still trample people. Plus, he's green!) if I feel like it. Zany. And it means so much to see MY hard trained and bred Pokemon doing well in a battle. I put all that effort into it, and it's paying off. It's a great feeling.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:17 AM
Master Aqua Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassy_Aggron View Post
I had the reverse happen. My high school, while not the best around, lost to a PRIVATE STUDENT GROUP. Out of all the awards given for literacy and grammar at that college, our high school won only one award, and it was third place. I've never been so humiliated in my life, and even the compliment from the professor didn't help. Worst of all is that most likely half of them were written with help from their parents, not on their own like mine :/

Yes, AR can save time. But the problem is, people who use it usually go for perfect IVs. If you create an AR Pokemon that would be equivalent to a bred Pokemon with perhaps 2-3 perfect IVs, that's fine. Sure, you were cheaper in getting it, but hey. Perfect IVs though are insanely difficult to get without any help and immense luck. If you use a cheating device to get them, that's not fair.

And no, I don't support the idea of having everyone get ARs. Two wrongs don't make a right. It means so much more to get 2-3 perfect IV Pokemon through breeding and hard work than a perfect IV Pokemon from a cheating device.

I create teams, yes, but I don't really compete in battles (no Wi-Fi). I do breed and EV train, but I'll EV train a Pokemon that is just decent (like my shiny Tauros. Sure, his IVs suck and such, but with support he could still trample people. Plus, he's green!) if I feel like it. Zany. And it means so much to see MY hard trained and bred Pokemon doing well in a battle. I put all that effort into it, and it's paying off. It's a great feeling.
oh i believe two wrongs do make a right with everyone with action reply it's fair as everyone would be free to use it, I would so love that wi fi would become more like po, remember i did give up wi fi but i would never have the time to take the odd requests with out action reply it's too inavuble as a time saver, i ever do requests for people on smogon to spread the joy that is effecancy. I would never go legit i am too impacient and busy, it's Ar or bust for me when it comes to wi fi, if people don't want to battle my hacked mons then thats there loss Idc either way but I will give you this grassy, it should be important to make people aware you have used ar then it's up to them whether they wnat to fight you on that baisis, that is what happens at smogon an i don't think it's such a bad diea for here, but i would never support an utright ban on AR, so few people would battle man, so many use Ar these days even behind the back of joe of serebii, I know peoples dark secrets when it comes to AR.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:41 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

So if someone tortures you, that gives you the right to torture them back? No, it doesn't work like that.

As for it being their loss, it really isn't. There's no point in a legit player fighting someone with perfect, hacked Pokemon. It's an unfair advantage.

And not everyone uses AR. You can't say "so many use it" without proper proof and research. At most, I'd say 50%, but I doubt it's that high, actually.

Efficiency doesn't make something right, either. It's more efficient to run red lights and stop signs and to tailgate to save fuel, but that doesn't make it ethical - or in this case safe.

I'm against AR in all but the more gentle uses (like cloning say, EV Wings, or creating a Pokemon with non perfect IVs. Or as Ty said, to breed onto offspring, and then releasing the parents). Sorry.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:08 AM
Master Aqua Offline

We seem to have very contradicting beliefs, while i belief Ar should be used for the benfit of making legal hacks which can exist anyways, you seem to think the advtange is too unfair for people who choose not to use it.

Ithink the best i can offer you is a compromise like smogon, mention your using hacks and if your opponents dose not wish to face hacked pokemon thats their choice.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Frost Dragon Offline

After my history with the action replay, I believe that the device is the single worst thing that one can put inside their DS system. I can't tell you just how many times I've seen someone who abuses the action replay, then thinks that they're the best pokemon player ever. It's ridiculous. It's not fair to those who play the game how it should be, who actually do the work to get good pokemon. Even if you use the device to just do fun things, like walk through walls, it seems like all the games eventually glitch to complete brokenness. I'd rather just keep my games clear of the action replay.

Lucario@312
Hatch: 327
Lucario: 432
Level100: 612
Old 08-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

I don't think it's TERRIBLE, I just think if you abuse it for your own pleasure is when it should stop. I usually only AR after the main story, and I use it fairly. :P
Old 08-25-2012, 12:47 AM
LS Offline

I don't see the problem really. I mean, realistically speaking, if youre heavy into pokemon battling, you're most probably going to get an AR just to get the pokemon you want with the stats that they want. xD
Old 10-23-2012, 04:45 PM
bronislav84 Offline

Send a message via AIM to bronislav84 Send a message via MSN to bronislav84 Send a message via Yahoo to bronislav84

Does this count as necro? I'm sorry if it is but this was still on the first page of the section.

I've read most of the discussion, and I would also like to keep my game free of any modified Pokémon, in any, way, shape, or form. Legal hacking is still hacking, and is detectable in events. Nintendo doesn't go to so much trouble to make hack detection software if they didn't care.

There IS one true legal use of AR, and that's cloning since it uses backup saves. That's the only thing I'd ever use myself, and that's the only kind of Pokémon I would ever knowingly accept onto my game.

Also, could somebody please explain what Pokesav is? I've seen the word before but I'd rather have it explained to me than just Google it and have a brain overload like what happened when I looked up RNG abuse.
Bronislav is my name and 1984 is my birth year. Call me Bron or Slavik if you can't say my full name. Banner/Ava by the illustrious Neo Pikachu Emolga R.I.P. August 13, 2007 3:45AM EST Simkha "Dosha" Bakman I loved you, Grandpa Check this out, it's really cool!

Last edited by bronislav84; 10-23-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Master Aqua Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
Does this count as necro? I'm sorry if it is but this was still on the first page of the section.

I've read most of the discussion, and I would also like to keep my game free of any modified Pokémon, in any, way, shape, or form. Legal hacking is still hacking, and is detectable in events. Nintendo doesn't go to so much trouble to make hack detection software if they didn't care.

There IS one true legal use of AR, and that's cloning since it uses backup saves. That's the only thing I'd ever use myself, and that's the only kind of Pokémon I would ever knowingly accept onto my game.

Also, could somebody please explain what Pokesav is? I've seen the word before but I'd rather have it explained to me than just Google it and have a brain overload like what happened when I looked up RNG abuse.
pokesav is a program desniged to create codes for Ar but in a practical mannor, it allows you to edit every single aspect of a pokemon and using the code puts it into the game. It's like choosing things off a menu, in fact for the most part it is.

here a screen shot of pokegen since no one uses sav anymore

Old 11-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Operative Offline

Send a message via MSN to Operative Send a message via Skype™ to Operative

I compete in the Pokemon VGC and I can honestly say that legal hacks or RNG abuse is one of the only ways to play it. Yes, it cuts out casual players from competing in the events- no actually, it doesn't cut them out of the events, however it does cut them out of doing extraordinarily well in such events. The first time I went to one of these events I didn't enter, I went along with 2 friends that did. One of them made both the teams himself (no knowledge of RNG and didn't use legal hacks) but he did breed for the natures, and he did EV train them all himself. Both of them made it to the Top 32 before they got a loss and were eliminated from the tournament. Not bad for first-timers with little battling experience, huh? So it's not to say people who don't RNG or use legal hacks can't do well. Since then, Pokemon has adopted a Swiss tournament layout, a certain number of games and depending on your Win/Loss record you play others who have very similar records to yours. This opens up many doors to new/casual players who also only know EV training, or EV training and breeding, or what have you, allowing them to play more games rather than getting kicked out after a Round 1 loss. Plus, the social aspect of the entire tournament is still there, and the battling is still there, win or loss.

What's separating the competitive player between the casual player is the person with RNG'd Pokemon. While it may seem "unfair" it's what pretty much evens out the playing field. Okay, some people don't have the patience to learn how to RNG abuse their Pokemon, that's too bad for them. Say two kids, both casual players, have the same Pokemon with the same EV set and Nature in mind. They both breed for their egg moves and Nature. Then they both train for their specific EVs and such. But it just so happens that one of the kids' Pokemon has higher stats than the other and is able to say, survive an extra hit, or outspeed a certain Pokemon - even with the exact same EV spreads and natures and such. Is it fair that both of them put the same amount of effort in and got lopsided results? Of course not, but the use of RNG programs makes them the same; it makes them equal.

The same can be said about anything, let's say cooking. If two people are in a cooking competition and they're making the same food, say apple pie, but one of them has a better apple resource than the other or maybe they used a more expensive, luxury sugar than the other, they're more likely to win. Why? Because they have better ingredients. They're not doing anything wrong, they just have that privilege.

Point is, if you're gonna try to be the best trainer out there, you're gonna have to have the best Pokemon you can. RNG Abuse and legal hacks make it possible to battle on a middleground. RNG Abuse doesn't come without effort, you still need to EV train your Pokemon and such, I can't say the same about legal hacks, though.

|thedynamicduo|

Last edited by Operative; 11-04-2012 at 01:52 AM.