Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 07-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Lan.exe's Avatar
Lan.exe Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,192
Send a message via AIM to Lan.exe
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Team: NSSF
Position: Legalize it!

First, I shall begin with enlightening those who have never been fortunate enough to take a puff of the glorious cannabis plant. When you inhale smoke, there goes without saying that this is "harmful" to the body. However, the same can be said with a lot of lab chemicals in our everyday foods. The key here is that these things are not harmful unless consumed in excess. The difference with cannabis smoke and tobacco smoke is that the cannabis smoke does not create a tar lining in your lungs, nor is it cancerous (there are even studies claiming cannabis has anti-carcinogenic properties). Obviously, it goes without saying that if the latter is legal, there's no reason the former shouldn't be. Now, when one gets "high", one does not become stupid or impaired like many propagandists would have you believe. Instead, the effect is a soothing trance-like state, where the mind notices everything around you more and with a sense of wonder similar to that of a child. Like any psychedelic, the possibility for a "bad trip" remains, however they can easily be avoided with some mental preparation (relax, don't give in to fear). I believe that cannabis should be used in a spiritual manner (unlike these gangsta shits who smoke to be "cool") as it magnifies the senses and really opens up the mind to everything around you. I hope that as time progresses, we gain a better understanding of the intangible implications of consuming cannabis and don't always focus on the "drug abuse" implications, because in my mind, cannabis is infinitely different than any other drug. It's an herbal remedy, and I cannot stand people treating it in the same category as crack or meth. You smoke too much weed, you'll take a nap, you won't die or go crazy.
__________________

Last edited by Lan.exe; 07-09-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-10-2012, 01:07 AM
Typhlosion Explosion's Avatar
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 5,956
Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Team: Revolution Uprising
Position: Legalize it.

I'll start off with saying that it is proven that weed does much less damage than alcohol. One ways it does less damage is brain damage. It impairs you much worse than weed does. It also damages the families of those killed in drunk driving accidents.

33,808 people were killed in traffic accidents. 10,839 of these deaths was a result of alcohol (32% of all traffic deaths)

An additional 254,000 suffered injuries due to an alcohol related accident

Counter to drugged driving.

More than 16 percent of weekend, nighttime drivers tested positive for illegal, prescription, or over-the-counter.

Most of those drugs are most likely illegal and were most likely pot or crack, so it would only seem that around 10% were positive on illegal drugs. Not to mention the lower percentage of people killed while high on marijuana.

Intelligence suggests that if anything, alcohol should also be illegal.

Freedom suggests that people have the right to use pot. People should have the right to us pot if it is their will. However, marijuana does not endanger others because of the user's own free will.

Marijuana also costs our government billions of dollars. When the government locks people up in jail or prison, the tax payers have to pay for it. They have to pay for the individual's food, their housing, their uniforms, the electricity bills, etc. Almost 850,000 Americans yearly are arrested for pot purposes. That is a lot of money we as a nation would save if we legalized pot.

Another reason to legalize pot is that people are going to do it anyways. Pot being illegal doesn't stop those addicted to pot, who will do most anything for it. This just causes trouble for the government and the pot users.

Marijuana can be used medicinally, and can ease pain of cancer patients, AIDS patients, and relieve nausea.

Marijuana is also used in religion. Christians drink wine on occasion, and some Buddhists smoke pot. The first amendment states that the government cannot interfere with one's religion. It is also true that people of most religion do live in America. What can the government do about that? They can't arrest someone for religion, because that violates the first amendment. Smoking marijuana is not in the Constitution.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:29 AM
LS's Avatar
LS Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tortuga
Posts: 5,042
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Marijuana.... A topic that has been debated many many times... Well, guess it's my turn.


Marijuana, should it be legal? I know most people would disagree with me, but my honest opinion is no, it should not be legalized. Instead, it should be DECRIMINALIZED. If weed is legal, than the government is going to tax the living hell out of it. Decriminalization is the best option in my opinion because then, it allows marijuana to be allowed, but not in the control of the government. Instead, it'd be more like how it is now, except we don't have to be as suspicious or careful about it.



One more thing, I would just like to quote Typhlosion Explosion.

Quote:
Another reason to legalize pot is that people are going to do it anyways. Pot being illegal doesn't stop those addicted to pot, who will do most anything for it. This just causes trouble for the government and the pot users.


The most important part of that quote is the part where you mentioned "those addicted to pot".

Firstly, Marijuana is a non addictive substance. You will not feel the pain of withdrawal from smoking too much weed. It seems odd to me that you would be defending marijuana but would say something like that.

If you smoked marijuana everyday for 30 days straight and then decide to stop, ofcourse youre going to feel some difference, but the change will not affect you mentally. You will feel a little different but it's usage can be discontinued at will.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Latio-Nytro's Avatar
Latio-Nytro Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ERROR! EXPLOSION IMMINENT!
Posts: 4,464
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Team: Revolution Uprising.
Position: Against Legalization.

OK, I'm just going to be frank: WHY does the US, or really any country in general, NEED MORE addictive substances? They're dangerous, they usually alter one's mental psyche, and quite frankly, if the drug itself doesn't kill you, many a times the mental alterations consuming the drug brings about as side-effects will wind people up in the situations to kill themselves. Legalizing this, for starters, will assist the Mexican Drug Cartels, which the US consistently stops on a regular basis to keep them from selling it illegally. To have the ability to sell the drug legally will result in more revenue for an illegal organization. And it's not like that just because it's legal to sell Marijuana doesn't mean there won't be laws limiting its trade that the Mexican Drug Cartels will still break to keep business flowing. Also, Marijuana users have a greater tendency to fall into other illegal drugs, and mixing drugs together can have some bad consequences (ranging from long-term mental and/or physical disabilities to death to who-knows-what else). Legalizing Marijuana is, in many more ways, opening Pandora's Box. Considering the three posts cover different reasons why to legalize Marijuana, I’ll explain myself more via the criticisms I give to the others.

Typhlosion Explosion, despite being from my team, I will have to cut your post open and give my criticisms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion Explosion View Post
I'll start off with saying that it is proven that weed does much less damage than alcohol. One ways it does less damage is brain damage. It impairs you much worse than weed does. It also damages the families of those killed in drunk driving accidents.

33,808 people were killed in traffic accidents. 10,839 of these deaths was a result of alcohol (32% of all traffic deaths)

An additional 254,000 suffered injuries due to an alcohol related accident

Counter to drugged driving.

More than 16 percent of weekend, nighttime drivers tested positive for illegal, prescription, or over-the-counter.

Most of those drugs are most likely illegal and were most likely pot or crack, so it would only seem that around 10% were positive on illegal drugs. Not to mention the lower percentage of people killed while high on marijuana.

Intelligence suggests that if anything, alcohol should also be illegal.
I would like to point out that the reason there are more deaths from Alcohol is partially because Alcohol is a stronger drug, but more so because Alcohol is a substance that people can legally have, unlike Marijuana-meaning that they have easier access to it by legal means, quite unlike Marijuana, and once people have obtained it and put it into their bodies, there is little government intervention that can stop someone that's really drunk from breaking laws-who wouldn't think about all the laws and regulations once they are that impaired, as it's been proven countless times. There is a law about drinking and driving, and people still drink and drive, mainly out of the fact that they won't really think about that law while drunk. The same applies to Cannabis in that, once people are drugged up, they are less likely to acknowledge the laws surrounding their condition (or really laws in general), and may proceed to break those laws.

Typhlosion Explosion is correct: Alcohol is a more dangerous drug than Cannabis, because its effects and addictive properties are more powerful and potent than Cannabis. However, that does NOT, in any way, overshadow the fact that Cannabis is STILL a drug, and can still impair your bodily functions and your mental reasoning in the short term and long term, and due to this is dangerous. The reason there aren't more deaths by Cannabis is because it isn't legal yet, and if it was legal, there would be more deaths. The fact that there ARE deaths while people are affected by the drug at all is cause for action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion Explosion View Post
Freedom suggests that people have the right to use pot. People should have the right to us pot if it is their will. However, marijuana does not endanger others because of the user's own free will.
It is a major folly of judgment to take a drug and use it for recreational purposes at all, and one’s ability to perceive the world as it really is can also become quite impaired at higher dosages. Marijuana does have addictive qualities, and if they receive effects of withdraw, they won't feel comfortable and will smoke weed more to avoid those effects, how addiction works. The state of mind people are put into while under the effects of Marijuana is different for everyone, as well-and, again, some higher-than-average doses can lead to hallucinations/illusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion Explosion View Post
Marijuana also costs our government billions of dollars. When the government locks people up in jail or prison, the tax payers have to pay for it. They have to pay for the individual's food, their housing, their uniforms, the electricity bills, etc. Almost 850,000 Americans yearly are arrested for pot purposes. That is a lot of money we as a nation would save if we legalized pot.
This, I cannot deny. While, inevitably government will pick up and save cash from the move, so will the Drug Cartels in Mexico, who frequently border-cross Marijuana, and will suddenly find that they can now go in with it legally (should the laws play in their favor). I must note it is not likely that the Drug Cartels should sell directly to the US for recreational purposes, for the record, which, depending on the level of regulations being introduced, could still be illegal (it could also still be illegal for the Cartels to border cross). I must still note that the Drug Cartels of Mexico, albeit now having all reason to sell Marijuana, considering it is legal (in that scenario), they will STILL break laws just to give it direct rather than let the US government have it, probably ignoring any regulations around it to sell to their audiences. That they are a criminal threat to the US as much as Mexico cements no end of doubt that Marijuana legalization shall make them stronger and wealthier, something we'd all rather avoid. It’s a trade-off, however, with some more economic stability and finally starting to get to a more comfortable level of debt , but I cannot understand why the US government would dare pass a law that would incite criminal organizations to act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion Explosion View Post
Another reason to legalize pot is that people are going to do it anyways. Pot being illegal doesn't stop those addicted to pot, who will do most anything for it. This just causes trouble for the government and the pot users.
The reason we keep Cannabis illegal is to keep MORE people from getting hooked on Cannabis, and possibly still doing illegal things to get at it. Even if Pot should be legalized, there would be regulations and punishments for breaking regulations won't stop them from being broken, possibly even more than the ban itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion Explosion View Post
Marijuana is also used in religion. Christians drink wine on occasion, and some Buddhists smoke pot. The first amendment states that the government cannot interfere with one's religion. It is also true that people of most religion do live in America. What can the government do about that? They can't arrest someone for religion, because that violates the first amendment. Smoking marijuana is not in the Constitution.
In the United States, there is a law that prevents Religious Duty from being a proper defense against Criminal Indictment. As it's something that can alter your mental and bodily functions-a drug-the US government has the right to keep people from having access to it out of safety reasons. That’s really the only two reasons, as a lawmaker, why I would have to deny the Buddhists their Marijuana.

LS has a few things I want to comment on, as well...(For the record, the below is in response to one of TE's quotes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS the Door Mat View Post
Firstly, Marijuana is a non addictive substance. You will not feel the pain of withdrawal from smoking too much weed. It seems odd to me that you would be defending marijuana but would say something like that.
Alcohol isn't an addictive drug either, or at least isn't advertised as such. A person grows addicted because the different state of body that Cannabis puts someone is, after repetitive exposure, becomes the norm, and without it, the body starts reacting inappropriately, causing the person to want more to avoid the withdraw-the cycle of addiction. LS is correct, however, on its strength: Cannabis isn't as strong as other drugs in potency and addictive power (like Alcohol), but it still can harm you, which is the entire point: should it be legal for a harmful drug to be released? Also, if the developed dependency on the drug is measured by the pain of withdraw when you stop smoking it after a specific amount of time, then I cannot guess why you would have more dependency to Cannabis than Anabolic Steroids, in example, because THEY have more power to harm you, yet are much less addictive. Cannabis, however, is still more addictive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS the Door Mat View Post
If you smoked marijuana everyday for 30 days straight and then decide to stop, ofcourse youre going to feel some difference, but the change will not affect you mentally. You will feel a little different but it's usage can be discontinued at will.
Of COUSRE you're going to feel some difference, however, it's this uncomforting difference that can put people in the state of mind to KEEP using Marijuana. It is entirely the person's choice to quit, but addiction can quickly cloud any judgment the person has. It is not as if Cannabis has NO addictive qualities whatsoever, and in fact, for one of the weaker drugs on the market, its addictive qualities are quite high.

Here is a string of quotes from Lan.exe:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan.exe View Post
First, I shall begin with enlightening those who have never been fortunate enough to take a puff of the glorious cannabis plant. When you inhale smoke, there goes without saying that this is "harmful" to the body. However, the same can be said with a lot of lab chemicals in our everyday foods. The key here is that these things are not harmful unless consumed in excess.
Lan.exe is correct: The harm in most drugs is overdose, excess consumption. However, there is no known limit as to what constitutes an overdose to compare it to. This isn't even mentioning how there will be at least one person who will attempt to consume it in excess, legal or no. If it's legal, the number of those people will jump up, no matter how many laws restrict it's usage. Laws preventing this much Cannabis from being eaten can help prevent it, but ultimately there are the people who will overdose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan.exe View Post
The difference with cannabis smoke and tobacco smoke is that the cannabis smoke does not create a tar lining in your lungs, nor is it cancerous (there are even studies claiming cannabis has anti-carcinogenic properties). Obviously, it goes without saying that if the latter is legal, there's no reason the former shouldn't be.
Due to this statement, I sometimes wonder why Tobacco is legal at all. I mean, come on, it's one of the world's most famous carcinogens, and is quite addictive in itself. That being said, Cannabis also produces 50 known Carcinogens and produces a Tar that is chemically similar to the Tar from Tobacco. By the reverse, because something claims to have carcinogenic properties does not mean people should rush to it in hopes of curing a cancer, when Cannabis isn't deemed completely safe for such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan.exe View Post
Now, when one gets "high", one does not become stupid or impaired like many propagandists would have you believe. Instead, the effect is a soothing trance-like state, where the mind notices everything around you more and with a sense of wonder similar to that of a child. Like any psychedelic, the possibility for a "bad trip" remains, however they can easily be avoided with some mental preparation (relax, don't give in to fear).
I do not believe that the above statement is completely true, considering there are negative effects as well that may or may not have anything to do with mental preparation. Common physical effects include (but are not limited to) The reddening of the eyes and decreased intra-ocular pressure, dryness in the mouth, a sensation of heat or cold (felt by the skin), an increased heart rate, and a relaxation of the muscles. People under the effects of Cannabis have markedly slower muscle reactions as well.

There is also a heightened focus and greater level of perception experienced, occasionally resulting in extremely elevated feelings and emotions (read=getting sensitive). There are effects to prove the trance-like state effect above, but there's also a note that it can disrupt linear thought, produce paranoia and/or anxiety. Anxiety is particularly common, producing 20-30% of reported side-effects. Panic Attacks also occur. Distortion of perception of Time and Space can occur (lengthening of shorter times spans to longer ones), and at higher doses, auditory and/or visual illusions, altered body image (how one sees their own body, not how it looks), pseudo-hallucinatory or, very rarely, fully hallucinatory experiences (the latter being at very high doses), and Ataxia from self-impairment.

The whole experience can last from 10 minutes to 8 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan.exe View Post
I believe that cannabis should be used in a spiritual manner (unlike these gangsta shits who smoke to be "cool") as it magnifies the senses and really opens up the mind to everything around you. I hope that as time progresses, we gain a better understanding of the intangible implications of consuming cannabis and don't always focus on the "drug abuse" implications, because in my mind, cannabis is infinitely different than any other drug. It's an herbal remedy, and I cannot stand people treating it in the same category as crack or meth. You smoke too much weed, you'll take a nap, you won't die or go crazy.
I'll admit, the last part of that quote is quite true: Smoking enough weed to enter lethally toxic levels is very hard. It isn't as if it's impossible, though, and you can die by Marijuana poisoning in other ways. Smoking isn't the only way you can take in Cannabis, even if it is the most famous.

To conclude, Marijuana, no matter how you dice it, has its bad sides. These are bad sides that aid crime, contribute to physical impairment, and have always been controversial. I believe that the current status of Marijuana-related laws in the US is currently the system we should be doing things as, and is not in any way wrong or immoral.

Here's my sources for some of this information:

Here's where I got the majority of the information pertaining to Marijuana.

This is where I got a little more in-depth with the effects of Cannabis.

(If anyone is insulted by the above argument, I meant no insult whatsoever. I also admit that most of this is a counter to the majority of the above statements, but the majority of the points against Cannabis were usually covered in said counterarguments. I'm also new at this...But really. I have to try, don't I?)

(Note: Edited out Reynolds V. USA link because I remembered I edited that part out for no correlation.)
__________________
The Avatar is from 5TailedDemonLizard!

Houndour@4051: Hatch@4066, Houndoom@4123, Level100@4351.

The Nonexistant White Nuzlocke! BEHOLD IT AND DESPAIR!

FEAR THE MOODY BIDOOF!!!

Last edited by Latio-Nytro; 07-10-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-11-2012, 05:56 PM
LS's Avatar
LS Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tortuga
Posts: 5,042
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latio-Nytro View Post
T

To conclude, Marijuana, no matter how you dice it, has its bad sides. These are bad sides that aid crime, contribute to physical impairment, and have always been controversial. I believe that the current status of Marijuana-related laws in the US is currently the system we should be doing things as, and is not in any way wrong or immoral.

Aren't cigarettes extremely addictive and lethal to your life? Why are those legal? The fact that Weed is illegal but things like tobacco and alcohol are legal shows that there is something wrong with our system.

I've tried all 3 of these "addictive drugs", Tobacco is addictive and can kill you, alcohol can make you into a mean drunk jerk but marijuana? You take a hit and you'll feel like the most chill person in the room.


Also, I'd like to point out that there are thousands of deaths each year that are caused by both Tobacco and Alcohol, but there is no human that has ever died from smoking too much marijuana. Seems kind of unfair that they would ban out a completely harmless and extremely useful plant but keep the legalization of alcohol and tobacco.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Latio-Nytro's Avatar
Latio-Nytro Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ERROR! EXPLOSION IMMINENT!
Posts: 4,464
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS the Door Mat View Post
Aren't cigarettes extremely addictive and lethal to your life? Why are those legal? The fact that Weed is illegal but things like tobacco and alcohol are legal shows that there is something wrong with our system.

I've tried all 3 of these "addictive drugs", Tobacco is addictive and can kill you, alcohol can make you into a mean drunk jerk but marijuana? You take a hit and you'll feel like the most chill person in the room.


Also, I'd like to point out that there are thousands of deaths each year that are caused by both Tobacco and Alcohol, but there is no human that has ever died from smoking too much marijuana. Seems kind of unfair that they would ban out a completely harmless and extremely useful plant but keep the legalization of alcohol and tobacco.
The reason why Alcohol isn't banned outright (In the US) is because the last time they did it did NOTHING but inflate the crime rate. Nobody had ever lived with a Ban on Alcohol, and as TE once pointed out, Anyone addicted enough to anything is going to do anything to get at their addictive substance. The Mafia rose to power as a criminal organization based off of selling this stuff. That's why we allowed it back in as legal-deflation of the crime rate. Marijuana doesn't have this extreme status in the US because pretty much, it was always banned and frowned upon-if it was no longer banned, part of this status leaves, and if it's decided in the future to ban it again (for any reason whatsoever), the result will have similar effects, only worse, mainly because the Drug is weak and if only smoked, will most likely never kill you. The same goes with Tobacco, which was NEVER outright banned and was a cash crop, though it hasn't been tested to see if a rise in crime would be the outcome of a ban. I personally believe that if those two drugs weren't already so deeply rooted in American society and would quickly pick up a criminal following at their banning, I would easily support banning them. It's kind of sad. I'd rather NOT have any Drug, no matter what it is, have that kind of status, and that there's clearly two of that potency is just sad.

As per what your statement is, LS, you are word-for-word correct...If only going by exact words. Smoking Marijuana is nearly impossible to overdose with, requiring thousands of 'joints' to hit toxic levels. However, that's not the only issue. Cannabis can cause other health problems. Yes, it's been reported by some to be an anti-carcinogen. It also, ironically, has 50 known carcinogens in it as well. It produces a Tar that is chemically similar to Tobacco Smoke when smoked. Plus, the response time is significantly lowered as a well-known side effect of smoking Cannabis, a significant impairment for anyone that decides to drive under the effects of Marijuana, which is, in essence, the reason you get arrested for a DUI.

And really, that it is a drug AT ALL is the reason to keep it banned, so I do not believe that it being weaker than Tobacco or Alcohol justifies it being brought in. That it's weaker than Tobacco or Alcohol is just an afterthought, ultimately it is a drug, it can cause major health problems, and the current system (which does approve of medical marijuana usage, but no further) is the best way to deal with it.

The small tidbit on the uprising of the Mafia came from here

Again, the effects of Cannabis noted here.

(I intended no insults at all.)
__________________
The Avatar is from 5TailedDemonLizard!

Houndour@4051: Hatch@4066, Houndoom@4123, Level100@4351.

The Nonexistant White Nuzlocke! BEHOLD IT AND DESPAIR!

FEAR THE MOODY BIDOOF!!!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Lan.exe's Avatar
Lan.exe Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,192
Send a message via AIM to Lan.exe
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latio-Nytro View Post
Team: Revolution Uprising.
Position: Against Legalization.

OK, I'm just going to be frank: WHY does the US, or really any country in general, NEED MORE addictive substances?
Implying cannabis isn't already around and thriving. Oh yeah, and did I mention that cannabis isn't addictive? You don't get withdrawal from not smoking. Psychological addiction is another thing all together, since people like to do what they like to do, be it smoking weed or playing video games, I don't classify this as "addiction", just "enjoyment".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latio-Nytro View Post
They're dangerous, they usually alter one's mental psyche, and quite frankly, if the drug itself doesn't kill you, many a times the mental alterations consuming the drug brings about as side-effects will wind people up in the situations to kill themselves.
Really? I have close to 100 stoner friends, who have never once been brought to wanting to kill themselves because of weed. The everyday world is more likely to make my friends want to kill themselves (income disparity, poverty, war, bullying, etc.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latio-Nytro View Post
Legalizing this, for starters, will assist the Mexican Drug Cartels, which the US consistently stops on a regular basis to keep them from selling it illegally.
Keeping it illegal gives the drug cartels the green light to sell it at whatever price they want, and acquire vast amounts of wealth in the meantime. Now these super powerful drug cartels are responsible for 50k+ deaths in Mexico, with no end in sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latio-Nytro View Post
To have the ability to sell the drug legally will result in more revenue for an illegal organization.
HECK NO. Marijuana being sold legally would be regulated and controlled just like alcohol, and where I'm from, the government sells it. Meaning it would actually cripple these illegal organizations that thrive off the illegality of cannabis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latio-Nytro View Post
And it's not like that just because it's legal to sell Marijuana doesn't mean there won't be laws limiting its trade that the Mexican Drug Cartels will still break to keep business flowing.
Just stop, you have no idea what you're saying. The only reason these cartels even exist is because of the illegality of drugs and the lack of a regulated market to sell these products on. When the market exists, these organizations cease to be illegal and become honest, average corporations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latio-Nytro View Post
Also, Marijuana users have a greater tendency to fall into other illegal drugs, and mixing drugs together can have some bad consequences (ranging from long-term mental and/or physical disabilities to death to who-knows-what else).
No, stupid people and drunks have a greater tendency to fall into other drugs. Just because someone smokes weed doesn't mean they're automatically going to do anything else. Each drug is different, and people who smoke weed like the side effects of weed, not the side effects of heroin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latio-Nytro View Post
Legalizing Marijuana is, in many more ways, opening Pandora's Box. Considering the three posts cover different reasons why to legalize Marijuana, I’ll explain myself more via the criticisms I give to the others.

Typhlosion Explosion, despite being from my team, I will have to cut your post open and give my criticisms.

I would like to point out that the reason there are more deaths from Alcohol is partially because Alcohol is a stronger drug, but more so because Alcohol is a substance that people can legally have, unlike Marijuana-meaning that they have easier access to it by legal means, quite unlike Marijuana, and once people have obtained it and put it into their bodies, there is little government intervention that can stop someone that's really drunk from breaking laws-who wouldn't think about all the laws and regulations once they are that impaired, as it's been proven countless times. There is a law about drinking and driving, and people still drink and drive, mainly out of the fact that they won't really think about that law while drunk. The same applies to Cannabis in that, once people are drugged up, they are less likely to acknowledge the laws surrounding their condition (or really laws in general), and may proceed to break those laws.
Perfect, now tell me how many rules are broken on a daily basis by these illegal users of cannabis. You'll notice no change. You can't make stupidity illegal, so stop trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latio-Nytro View Post
Typhlosion Explosion is correct: Alcohol is a more dangerous drug than Cannabis, because its effects and addictive properties are more powerful and potent than Cannabis. However, that does NOT, in any way, overshadow the fact that Cannabis is STILL a drug, and can still impair your bodily functions and your mental reasoning in the short term and long term, and due to this is dangerous. The reason there aren't more deaths by Cannabis is because it isn't legal yet, and if it was legal, there would be more deaths. The fact that there ARE deaths while people are affected by the drug at all is cause for action.
Know what's a drug? A drug is anything; a chemical that interacts with the brain. Cannabis is non-lethal, so the reason there's no deaths from cannabis intake is because it's im-*******-possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latio-Nytro View Post
It is a major folly of judgment to take a drug and use it for recreational purposes at all, and one’s ability to perceive the world as it really is can also become quite impaired at higher dosages. Marijuana does have addictive qualities, and if they receive effects of withdraw, they won't feel comfortable and will smoke weed more to avoid those effects, how addiction works. The state of mind people are put into while under the effects of Marijuana is different for everyone, as well-and, again, some higher-than-average doses can lead to hallucinations/illusions.
No, marijuana does not have addictive properties. I know because I've been smoking for the last three years. Never once have I experienced withdrawal from not smoking, no loss of appetite, nothing. As far as the effect goes, marijuana is nothing like other drugs (alcohol, etc). These drugs create a foreground effect where the drug is powerful and impairing. Cannabis is a background effect, enabling you to do your normal day-to-day things while high. And my god, I wish I could hallucinate while smoking weed, but you have no idea how impractical it is to smoke that much without falling asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latio-Nytro View Post
The reason we keep Cannabis illegal is to keep MORE people from getting hooked on Cannabis, and possibly still doing illegal things to get at it. Even if Pot should be legalized, there would be regulations and punishments for breaking regulations won't stop them from being broken, possibly even more than the ban itself.
Actually, there are several well documented cases of cannabis' illegality being single-handed caused by businesses with conflicts of interest (big pharma, the prison industry, etc.). But by all means, forfeit your freedoms for the illusion of safety. I can keep myself safe, I don't need some suit telling me what I can and cannot put inside my body.

I'll pick apart the rest later.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-12-2012, 05:48 AM
Winter's Avatar
Winter Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Banora, munchin' on dumbapples...
Posts: 4,527
Send a message via Skype™ to Winter
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Team: Eggman Empire
Position: Against Legalization

As it is, America already has enough problems with its people. In 2009–2010, 35.7% of U.S. adults were obese (Source). As of 2009 (unfortunately, the most recent results I could find), 15,183 deaths in America were caused by alcoholic liver disease, and 24,518 deaths were alcohol-induced, and this number doesn't include accidents and homicides (Source). Between 2000-2004, an estimated 443,000 death were related to smoking (Source). Welcome to the country where many of our citizens seem to enjoy overdoing tons of different things that end up being incredibly bad for them, and there should be absolutely no reason for the government to add marijuana to the list. Sure, they could tax the crap out of it and make themselves more money. Sure, they could clear out the jails of those arrested under charges relate to just pot and save some money, and no, they can't catch everyone that illegally grows, deals, and/or smokes cannabis, but there is no reason they should let them go.

While those promoting the legalization of the drug claim that it is close to harmless, they are quite far from the truth. While high, many are subject to distorted perception, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory due to the high concentration of parts in the brain known as cannabinoid receptors, which the THC in cannabis reacts with to give the person the high they get from smoking cannabis, in the areas of the brain that deal with these senses, as well as pleasure. Research has even shown that in chronic users, the impairment of learning and memory can last for days, even up to weeks, after many of the other effects of the drug have worn off. There was even a research study done at the University of Wollongong that showed that long-term use of cannabis could adversely affect all users by showing through brain imaging that the brain regions thought to regulate memory and thought emotional processing were reduced in cannabis users by 12% compared to the 7% in non-cannabis users. What this means is that, in this study, cannabis users were found to be more prone to psychotic experiences like paranoia and social withdrawal, as well as memory loss (Source). In a country of people who seem to enjoy overindulging and making bad choices, heavy use of marijuana could easily become the source of many mental problems, and by then, the damage would be done. Trying to ban cannabis use after all this damage would fail as miserably as Prohibition did--by the time they tried to ban cannabis again, too many would have become addicted to it for the government to right the wrong it made in making the drug legal. The thing is, the adverse effects of marijuana don't just stop in the mental department, it affects other areas of the body and aspects of life as well.

While those that are pro-legalization claim that no one can die from smoking too much pot, they seem to be quite unaware that smoking pot increases the heart rate from anywhere between 20% to 100%, which leads to a drop in blood pressure and increases the smoker’s risk of having a heart attack, something that can be quite lethal. Meanwhile, while there is no proven link between marijuana and lung cancer, marijuana users can end up with some of the same respiratory problems as smokers do, such as more frequent acute chest illness and a higher risk of getting lung infections. It’s not just what marijuana can do your body that can hurt pot smokers, either, as a more recent study found that those who had smoked marijuana within three hours of beginning to drive were twice as likely to crash (Source)—most likely because of the reflex-slowing effect and coordination impairment getting high can cause, and bad enough vehicle crashes can kill a person; we see it all the time with alcohol. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, the reason alcohol is still legal in the United States is because Prohibition started too late; too many had already gotten a taste of alcohol and liked what they tasted to keep alcohol banned. To freely allow another sense-impairing drug to be legalized in the United States at this point would be like adding another nail to the coffin the United States is trying to claw its way out of right now.

It has also been claimed that pot is not an addictive substance. Again, those claiming this fact are wrong. While pot does not contain a chemical like nicotine, which causes a chemical addiction, people themselves could become addicted to the feeling of being high itself and end up with a mental, compulsive addiction, and there is a whole host of problems I've mentioned in the paragraphs before this that come along with repetitive marijuana use, some fatal.

Also, I'd like to point out that while medicinal marijuana is legal in some states, many of the conditions it is prescribed for have the potential to be deadly and the good outweighs the bad in many of these cases. Most medicinal marijuana is prescribed to cancer patients, people with AIDS or HIV, people with glaucoma, and people with multiple sclerosis. Specifically for cancer patients, medicinal marijuana is given to ease the patient's pain, counteract some of the nausea that is brought on by chemotherapy, and give them a larger appetite to keep them from losing too much weight. However, while those who use medicinal marijuana probably feel better because of it, doctors and scientists are searching for ways to reproduce the beneficial effects of marijuana in a way that does not bring its adverse effects along as well.

In conclusion, America absolutely does not need to legalize marijuana. Unlike its use in the medical field, the negatives would completely outweigh any "benefits" that the legalization of marijuana would have. At this point, legalization would only digging America deeper into the hole it is trying to get out of, something this country definitely does not need.

And then there's this one last source, which I used throughout the article.
__________________

Banner by me! | My dA | My FF.Net
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-12-2012, 08:53 PM
LS's Avatar
LS Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tortuga
Posts: 5,042
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Team: Eggman Empire
Position: Against Legalization

s it is, America already has enough problems with its people. In 2009–2010, 35.7% of U.S. adults were obese (Source). As of 2009 (unfortunately, the most recent results I could find), 15,183 deaths in America were caused by alcoholic liver disease, and 24,518 deaths were alcohol-induced, and this number doesn't include accidents and homicides (Source). Between 2000-2004, an estimated 443,000 death were related to smoking (Source). Welcome to the country where many of our citizens seem to enjoy overdoing tons of different things that end up being incredibly bad for them, and there should be absolutely no reason for the government to add marijuana to the list. Sure, they could tax the crap out of it and make themselves more money. Sure, they could clear out the jails of those arrested under charges relate to just pot and save some money, and no, they can't catch everyone that illegally grows, deals, and/or smokes cannabis, but there is no reason they should let them go.

Okay, let me see if I understand what you're saying.... So you think if marijuana is legalized that there would be thousands of deaths caused by it?



While those that are pro-legalization claim that no one can die from smoking too much pot, they seem to be quite unaware that smoking pot increases the heart rate from anywhere between 20% to 100%, which leads to a drop in blood pressure and increases the smoker’s risk of having a heart attack, something that can be quite lethal. Meanwhile, while there is no proven link between marijuana and lung cancer, marijuana users can end up with some of the same respiratory problems as smokers do, such as more frequent acute chest illness and a higher risk of getting lung infections.
And then there's this one last source, which I used throughout the article.

The only reason that anyone would get any lung problems from smoking pot isn't due to the plant itself. It's because of the properties of smoke.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Winter's Avatar
Winter Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Banora, munchin' on dumbapples...
Posts: 4,527
Send a message via Skype™ to Winter
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS the Door Mat View Post
Okay, let me see if I understand what you're saying.... So you think if marijuana is legalized that there would be thousands of deaths caused by it?
No, you're not understanding what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is that we already have all these people with all these problems, we do not need to add the legalization and effects of marijuana to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS the Door Mat View Post
The only reason that anyone would get any lung problems from smoking pot isn't due to the plant itself. It's because of the properties of smoke.
Don't most people typically smoke it? I mean, yes, I know it can be baked into stuff and I've heard about making tea with it, but most of the time when you talk about pot, you're talking about smoking it.
__________________

Banner by me! | My dA | My FF.Net
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-14-2012, 11:38 PM
LS's Avatar
LS Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tortuga
Posts: 5,042
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Don't most people typically smoke it? I mean, yes, I know it can be baked into stuff and I've heard about making tea with it, but most of the time when you talk about pot, you're talking about smoking it.
Yes, but even that, the smoke produced by marijuana does not compare AT ALL to the toxic levels of smoke produced by cigarettes.

Realistically speaking, Marijuana is known to be the most useful plant in the world. If it is legalized, that wouldn't just mean that people can just "smoke weed anywhere" that's not the point of it at all. Marijuana can be used in medicines, to create clothing and can even make more durable paper which means we don't have to cut down as many trees.

Our economy would change completely for the better if marijuana was legalized. I'm not promoting its legalization for the simple purpose of being to enjoy a nicely rolled joint in public with cops around.

What I've noticed from majority of the people siding against it's legalization is that they don't know the full potential of the plant, and they don't know the effect it gives you when you smoke it.



As a final note, If you have actually tried smoking weed a couple of times and still hate it, then you must live a very straight edge lifestyle. Go outside experience the world and live a little. Don't fall for the mainstream government crap that you hear on TV.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-16-2012, 03:43 AM
WebMaster's Avatar
WebMaster Offline
BEAST MODE!!!!!!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 381
Send a message via AIM to WebMaster
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

And with that, this wraps up Debate for week 3.

Best "for": LS the Door Mat (+2 points for Team .)
Best "against": Latio-Nytro (+2 points for Revolution Uprising)
Best argument: Winter (+2 points for Eggman Empire)


Here's our topic for this week

Topic 4: Capital Punishment. Is it right for it to be practiced for certain crimes or is it wrong in all circumstances? Post your opinions.
__________________
URPG Member, Approver, Ranger, Referee, and Judge
My stats
http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f401/web...5/#post2992282
AIM: WebDragoon1337
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-21-2012, 09:27 PM
LS's Avatar
LS Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tortuga
Posts: 5,042
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Capital Punishment is wrong and should never be practiced.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Judge Dredd's Avatar
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gold 3438-5902-8014
Posts: 33,107
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Team: Awesome!
Position: For Capital Punishment


"...No system of justice can produce results which are 100% certain all the time. Mistakes will be made in any system which relies upon human testimony for proof." Steven D. Stewart, JD. This statement was made in defense of Capital Punishment.

Most people hear the words Capital Punishment and shutter. The idea of the government taking someones life seems illogical. I mean we as a society have grown passed that. Right? The biggest argument against it, besides the "we shouldn't play god this is wrong argument" is that in most studies taken about the success of Capital Punishment show that States that do not have the Death Penalty have a lower Crime Rate.. How can that be ? Well some believe it all comes down to the amount of money it takes to go through with the death penalty. They would suggest that the money wasted in killing could be used in community programs to help. No one can dispute the the studies, but one could question the studies. These studies compare 15 (non death penalty) States to 35 (death penatly) states. To make matters worse, eight out of those 15 are ranked at the very high among the least populated states.

So lets say you go into a class with 10 people, the teacher in the room has abolished yelling in the class room. Instead she has chosen to ask her kids nicely and for the most part it has shown good results. Now you walk across the hall and find yourself in a huge classroom with 300 plus student. This classroom is very loud, the teacher has been forced to shout to get everyone attention. Asking politely has not helped at all. She has been forced to shout and punish bad students to try to make an example.

To compare these two classrooms to each other would be foolish. So next you scroll over to the ranking of states based on poverty. We find 7 out the 15 stats are in the top 15 of lowest poverty rates. In fact, we find only 2 of these (non death penalty states) in the lowest bracket.


So lets look at this again. Are charts show that crime rates are still higher in death penalty states...but does this number really mean anything when overall population and poverty ratings are not added into the mix.
__________________
VPP

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 PM
LS's Avatar
LS Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tortuga
Posts: 5,042
Default Re: [WAR XI] Debate Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
Team: Awesome!
Position: For Capital Punishment


"...No system of justice can produce results which are 100% certain all the time. Mistakes will be made in any system which relies upon human testimony for proof." Steven D. Stewart, JD. This statement was made in defense of Capital Punishment.

Most people hear the words Capital Punishment and shutter. The idea of the government taking someones life seems illogical. I mean we as a society have grown passed that. Right? The biggest argument against it, besides the "we shouldn't play god this is wrong argument" is that in most studies taken about the success of Capital Punishment show that States that do not have the Death Penalty have a lower Crime Rate.. How can that be ? Well some believe it all comes down to the amount of money it takes to go through with the death penalty. They would suggest that the money wasted in killing could be used in community programs to help. No one can dispute the the studies, but one could question the studies. These studies compare 15 (non death penalty) States to 35 (death penatly) states. To make matters worse, eight out of those 15 are ranked at the very high among the least populated states.

So lets say you go into a class with 10 people, the teacher in the room has abolished yelling in the class room. Instead she has chosen to ask her kids nicely and for the most part it has shown good results. Now you walk across the hall and find yourself in a huge classroom with 300 plus student. This classroom is very loud, the teacher has been forced to shout to get everyone attention. Asking politely has not helped at all. She has been forced to shout and punish bad students to try to make an example.

To compare these two classrooms to each other would be foolish. So next you scroll over to the ranking of states based on poverty. We find 7 out the 15 stats are in the top 15 of lowest poverty rates. In fact, we find only 2 of these (non death penalty states) in the lowest bracket.


So lets look at this again. Are charts show that crime rates are still higher in death penalty states...but does this number really mean anything when overall population and poverty ratings are not added into the mix.
I am so sorry, but I am going to have to strongly DISAGREE. I can't believe someone on this forum is actually for Capital Punishment. It's surprising really.

Let me lay a scenario down for you(completely fictional one)

A man is caught after killing 9 people, injuring many others and laying chaos everywhere. This man, should just be sentanced to death instead of making him pay for what he has done? I think death is too simple of a solution, because let's think. What happens after you die? Nothing, or we don't know.

Why let him take the easy way out and just kill him when you can have him suffer and pay for the lives he has affected in a jail cell somewhere?



And to be honest, I think Capital Punishment is only enforced so that the government can silence anyone they want.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com