Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:57 PM
lisa lynn Offline

Default Re: Our Worst Fear

Zombies would be a minor inconvenience who would eventually kill themselves off, due to their only method of reproduction also being their food source.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa lynn View Post
Zombies would be a minor inconvenience who would eventually kill themselves off, due to their only method of reproduction also being their food source.
Their only natural demise would be the slow decay of the limbs. Remember that the brain is the thing that needs to be killed.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:24 PM
lisa lynn Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddiursa of the Sky View Post
the brain is the thing that needs to be killed.
The brain requires energy, hence food source. And since they move slower than a power chair and/or are converting all of their food into fellow zombies instead of masticating, their brains are going to give out long before they decay.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
The brain requires energy, hence food source. And since they move slower than a power chair and/or are converting all of their food into fellow zombies instead of masticating, their brains are going to give out long before they decay.
The brain does not require energy in order to function when you are reanimated. Read World War Z and Zombie Survival Guide to learn more on that.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Socratic Sarcasm Offline

Quote:
The brain does not require energy in order to function when you are reanimated. Read World War Z and Zombie Survival Guide to learn more on that.
This is where I must strongly disagree. Everything needs Energy in order to function according to the laws of thermodynamics. Animated, not reanimated, blah blah, blah blah, blah blah, it doesn't matter you cannot defy the laws of physics.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:54 AM
Cobalt Offline

Send a message via MSN to Cobalt Send a message via Skype™ to Cobalt

If zombie 1 manages to catch and infect the person that would become zombie 2, he's not going to see a new ally in the hunt for food. He's going to see... food. Unless zombie 2 manages to escape zombie 1, there's nothing stopping zombie 1 from killing and eating zombie 2. At which point he'll move on to infecting/creating/consuming zombie 3.

In this endless cycle, there will never be more than a handful of zombies whose only goal is to eat. And those that are lucky enough to escape the first zombies after being bitten will behave in the same manner causing the zombie apocalypse to move at a painfully slow rate.

It's a moot point in the end, when you take into account the military which is way more organized than zombie movies give them credit for. Zombies would be hunted into extinction before they had a chance to propagate.

You're a dummy head. :3
Old 07-06-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narphoenix View Post
This is where I must strongly disagree. Everything needs Energy in order to function according to the laws of thermodynamics. Animated, not reanimated, blah blah, blah blah, blah blah, it doesn't matter you cannot defy the laws of physics.
It isn't a closed system though. You still have sunlight, therefore it breaks no law of thermodynamics. It would take far too long for a zombie to die of "starvation".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
If zombie 1 manages to catch and infect the person that would become zombie 2, he's not going to see a new ally in the hunt for food. He's going to see... food. Unless zombie 2 manages to escape zombie 1, there's nothing stopping zombie 1 from killing and eating zombie 2. At which point he'll move on to infecting/creating/consuming zombie 3.

In this endless cycle, there will never be more than a handful of zombies whose only goal is to eat. And those that are lucky enough to escape the first zombies after being bitten will behave in the same manner causing the zombie apocalypse to move at a painfully slow rate.

It's a moot point in the end, when you take into account the military which is way more organized than zombie movies give them credit for. Zombies would be hunted into extinction before they had a chance to propagate.
The military is not prepared for zombies, they are equipped for conventional warfare. Automatic weapons are one of the worst things you could have against zombies. You need to be accurate, while maintaining maneuverability, which is something the M16a4 and M4a1 is not good at.

Just to get one thing clear, are we talking about "L4D" zombies or "Resident Evil" zombies?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Cobalt Offline

Send a message via MSN to Cobalt Send a message via Skype™ to Cobalt

Quote:
The military is not prepared for zombies, they are equipped for conventional warfare.
True, but it doesn't take military training to know how to take defensive positions and defend your shelter from zombies.

Quote:
Automatic weapons are one of the worst things you could have against zombies. You need to be accurate, while maintaining maneuverability, which is something the M16a4 and M4a1 is not good at.
That's where the designated marksman rifle comes into play, which is a weapon issued to at least one or two men in every infantry unit. It's a mid-range rifle that fires typically single-shot or three-shot burst. The M16, and M4 both have the 3-shot burst or single shot burst setting as well. Also, M203 grenade launchers, GL40s with high explosive rounds, white phosphorus grenades, and frag grenades would all be effective against zombies.

Quote:
Just to get one thing clear, are we talking about "L4D" zombies or "Resident Evil" zombies?
Lol, I have no idea. XD

You're a dummy head. :3
Old 07-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Socratic Sarcasm Offline

Quote:
It isn't a closed system though. You still have sunlight, therefore it breaks no law of thermodynamics. It would take far too long for a zombie to die of "starvation".
Sunlight only works if the Zombie has some way of converting the energy from light (or heat) to ATP, or else some other usable form. Your plants have an entire process for this: there are organelles in almost every plant cell to do this. Viruses (as generally agreed to be the cause of zombieism (zombism?)) do not have enough genetic material to do give the body a mechanism to do this with, ergo the argument about sunlight is invalid.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narphoenix View Post
Sunlight only works if the Zombie has some way of converting the energy from light (or heat) to ATP, or else some other usable form. Your plants have an entire process for this: there are organelles in almost every plant cell to do this. Viruses (as generally agreed to be the cause of zombieism (zombism?)) do not have enough genetic material to do give the body a mechanism to do this with, ergo the argument about sunlight is invalid.
It does not make my argument invalid at all. We are arguing about the anatomy of a creature that has been displayed countless times as a different manifestation. Anything is possible when it comes to speculation about said "undead". Additionally, I would argue that if the virus has the ability to reanimate the corpse, it already has enough power to energize the brain in some form or fashion, without the need for consumption.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 07-06-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:40 PM
lisa lynn Offline

Quote:
lol what?! First, why would I read either of those two things if they use such a conveniently Hollywood argument like "oh, no, this form doesn't need energy to run, it's all deus ex machina like that lol!!" Second, why are those two publications the "we're totally right everything we say about zombie is 100%!" They got a few subjects to study? No, they're bullshitting like the rest of us, they're not any more right than I am if I say all zombies emerge from the ground with freakin lasers attached to their freakin heads.

It doesn't matter if it's reanimated or not, it requires energy to do anything, as does everything in this world. Even the Cordyceps knows it has to use its host within minutes or it will decay and become useless. Anything "not needing energy" is just the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Honestly.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
lol what?! First, why would I read either of those two things if they use such a conveniently Hollywood argument like "oh, no, this form doesn't need energy to run, it's all deus ex machina like that lol!!" Second, why are those two publications the "we're totally right everything we say about zombie is 100%!" They got a few subjects to study? No, they're bullshitting like the rest of us, they're not any more right than I am if I say all zombies emerge from the ground with freakin lasers attached to their freakin heads.

It doesn't matter if it's reanimated or not, it requires energy to do anything, as does everything in this world. Even the Cordyceps knows it has to use its host within minutes or it will decay and become useless. Anything "not needing energy" is just the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Honestly.
Lolwut? You are honestly trying to argue about a fictional organism and trying to make a point? I am simply talking about all possibilities of its death, not trying to make this a science.

And what is your deal anyway?

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 07-08-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:31 PM
LS Offline

This thread makes me want to watch Shaun of the Dead.

<3 zombie movies
Old 08-27-2012, 06:42 PM
brandon_g Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to brandon_g Send a message via Skype™ to brandon_g

Bugs, some bugs look so ugly i cant help but fear them and be scared of them (like some spiders)
I am Brandon, I have 1 goal as a pokemon trainer: To become the unbeatable unlike any other... I have already become the Champion of sinnoh... and am training currently in unova to beat the Champion their.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Psychedelic Shroomish Offline

Send a message via AIM to Psychedelic Shroomish

Why would someone purposefully reveal their greatest fear, unless it was so unbearable that they couldn't face it themselves? Revealing a fear is just showing a weakness that other people can potentially exploit!

Also it shocks me how someone can say their greatest fear is something as trivial as a spider, or something so unrealistic as a zombie attack. Shame on you all.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Psychedelic Shroomish; 08-28-2012 at 01:20 AM.