Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Star-Wailord Offline

Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

The problem of Homophobia is very old. Biblical times or further. Homosexuality objectively speaking is no problem. But individuals 'fear' homosexuality due to social norms in their culture. There are many reasons why homosexuality is seen negatively; Sinful, Risk of STDs, etc. Most can be said to be superstitious.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:47 AM
Disco Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddiursa of the Sky View Post
The recent shift in the homosexual-heterosexual ratio has shown that the most probable reason is because we have overpopulated.
Actually, I don't believe so- I think there hasn't been a shift at all. I personally think it's technology that makes it appear that way. Way back when, when someone was homosexual, it was a wholly private thing that one kept to themselves, and you were afraid to approach this subject to anyone you ever met, in fear that you would be alienated. Nowadays, with things such as the internet, a homosexual individual can communicate and develop their own personal support network with fellow individuals in the LGBTQ spectrum, and supporters as well.

Then, I believe, that this 'recent shift' is not in fact a change in ratio at all- I simply believe that those on the LGBTQ spectrum, finally being able to find a way to connect and discuss their sexuality openly, simply feel much more confident in sharing than before.

Last edited by Disco; 06-30-2012 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Because clearly I can't spell to save my life.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:25 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
Actually, I don't believe so- I think there hasn't been a shift at all. I personally think it's technology that makes it appear that way. Way back when, when someone was homosexual, it was a wholly private thing that one kept to themselves, and you were afraid to approach this subject to anyone you ever met, in fear that you would be alienated. Nowadays, with things such as the internet, a homosexual individual can communicate and develop their own personal support network with fellow individuals in the LGBTQ spectrum, and supporters as well.

Then, I believe, that this 'recent shift' is not in fact a change in ratio at all- I simply believe that those on the LGBTQ spectrum, finally being able to find a way to connect and discuss their sexuality openly, simply feel much more confident in sharing than before.
Perhaps you are correct, though only time will tell.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:29 AM
TARDIS Offline

Personally, I think being homosexual goes against Darwinism. If you believe in evolution being a force that helps a species become better, as well as move necessary genetic traits along, then homosexual behavior stops it.

Just saying, homosexual people should get the Darwin award for being gay. This btw, is meant as a joke, to help lighten the mood. I stand by my original statements.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDIS View Post
Personally, I think being homosexual goes against Darwinism. If you believe in evolution being a force that helps a species become better, as well as move necessary genetic traits along, then homosexual behavior stops it.
You are correct, to a certain extent. This is why the modern theory of evolution does not purely rely on Darwinian theory. A homosexual "gene" is either recessive, or the same gene that makes you heterosexual, but it is just affected by another genetic assortment.

It is interesting to note that bisexuals also share a more similar genetic composition to homosexuals than they do with heterosexuals. Yes, evolution is fueled by an organism's need to have sex, but remember that genetic mutations also occur unwarranted.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Star-Wailord Offline

I find that a homosexual 'gene' is half the reason for homosexuality. I believe that homosexuality is environmental more than innate. I read about some Mono zygotic Twin studies. Where one twin is homosexual whilst the other isn't. However the twins shared the same environment. Which makes my idea less likely.

Maybe there is a gene and certain individuals are vulnerable to being homosexual given the right environmental factors. Apparently I heard a theory that homosexuality increases with the number of siblings (correlation).
Old 06-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Disco Offline

Quote:
However, if we're talking about our species as if we were talking about other animals, we can say one of our biggest problems is overpopulation. Perhaps homosexuality is, in fact, a trait that 'betters' the species in this case. Of course, it doesn't carry the genes around, but, well, maybe that's not what we need as a species right now? I'm not sure.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Star-Wailord Offline

Quote:
However, if we're talking about our species as if we were talking about other animals, we can say one of our biggest problems is overpopulation. Perhaps homosexuality is, in fact, a trait that 'betters' the species in this case. Of course, it doesn't carry the genes around, but, well, maybe that's not what we need as a species right now? I'm not sure.
I think you're right about the overpopulation, homosexuality is something that shouldn't be discouraged right now. Its not a problem individually or collectively for our species.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:25 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-

Quote:

Just saying, homosexual people should get the Darwin award for being gay. This btw, is meant as a joke, to help lighten the mood. I stand by my original statements.
Darwinism and evolution and all that stuff implies and is implied by natural selection, which is the passing on of genes beneficial to a species' survival. For example, giraffes - length of neck is a gene. The ones with longer necks can reach the higher foods, while smaller-necked giraffes run out of food, starve and die. Thus, the longer-necked giraffes pass on their long neck gene to their offspring.

Homosexuality, as far as we know, is not passed on via a gene (hence why you could have several generations of straight people followed by one gay person and then several more straight). Therefore, homosexuality can never be phased out by natural selection, because the "dominant" straight people can produce homosexual offspring, who will go on to survive as normal.

---

Homosexuality should never be encouraged or discouraged. It should just be accepted and we should all let everyone get on with their lives, no matter their sexual orientation, race, gender, whatever.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
Darwinism and evolution and all that stuff implies and is implied by natural selection, which is the passing on of genes beneficial to a species' survival. For example, giraffes - length of neck is a gene. The ones with longer necks can reach the higher foods, while smaller-necked giraffes run out of food, starve and die. Thus, the longer-necked giraffes pass on their long neck gene to their offspring.

Homosexuality, as far as we know, is not passed on via a gene (hence why you could have several generations of straight people followed by one gay person and then several more straight). Therefore, homosexuality can never be phased out by natural selection, because the "dominant" straight people can produce homosexual offspring, who will go on to survive as normal.

---

Homosexuality should never be encouraged or discouraged. It should just be accepted and we should all let everyone get on with their lives, no matter their sexual orientation, race, gender, whatever.

I would recommend listening to Richard Dawkins, a biologist, address the problem of passing down the "gay gene".

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 06-30-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:21 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

We know homosexuality has a genetic component to it from the concordance studies done earlier. "Being gay" isn't a singular gene, but a strange interaction of genes, epigenetics, and other environmental factors that make up the development of the individual. This explains why "being gay" exists within the gene pool, simply because it's not a simple single gene.

Darwinian theory can be used to postulate why this congregation of genes that when combined create homosexual behaviour. It's simply said that it is neutral from a genetics POV. We have seen plenty of closet gay men who have wives and kids, after all. There just isn't really any selection pressure against it, anyway.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:44 AM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight of the Stars View Post
Christianity
I don't want all the homosexuality threads to turn into religious attacks based on stereotypes. It's unfair to many members of PE2K, religious or not, "pro-gay" or otherwise, etc. Not saying I disagree with your post, not saying I do agree, I just want to "keep the peace."

Anyway, I feel like when someone is told that being gay is wrong, or gross, or unnatural--and has homosexual attraction to others--feels like they're choosing to be straight, so every gay person is choosing to be gay, thus choosing to live "in sin."

There is no constitutional reason that homosexuality should be illegal or discriminated against, but it is.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m0d0ll View Post
Anyway, I feel like when someone is told that being gay is wrong, or gross, or unnatural--and has homosexual attraction to others--feels like they're choosing to be straight, so every gay person is choosing to be gay, thus choosing to live "in sin."

One must define what "sin" is, have a sufficient justification for their moral position, and support their arguments with facts. Nobody who stands against homosexuality, in general, has any such thing. Evidence suggests genetic causation, there is no indication that moral acceptance will destroy the "traditional family" (whatever that is), and there lacks evidence as to what would cause whatever fairy to get mad at whatever conglomerate of magic wizards. Overall, homophobia is rampant among the fundamental and evangelical religious. The fact that religious leaders have yet to openly condemn homophobic speakers, I think it is justified to accuse the religion, and not the majority of religious people.

Overall, the fear of homosexual stems from a dearth of education on the subject.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 09-04-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 PM
mintjelly Offline
Father Cat

Send a message via AIM to mintjelly Send a message via Skype™ to mintjelly

There's nothing wrong with being gay.
I think that some homophobics are scared to admit that they are gay.
Sort of like a bully in school who has mommy issues and takes them out on others.
Anyhow,

By the way, I'm openly bisexual :)

Shun the non-believer
Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Dentures Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Dentures

It most likely will never happen, at least not in the United States. Our hatred of the 'unnatural' stems back to our devoutly Christian roots and our ignorant ideals of what is the only 'natural' form of love- that of a man and a woman.

I personally think people have a right to love whoever they desire, but what can I do to change a 300-year old xenophobic and now openly homophobic nation?