Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 06-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Star-Wailord's Avatar
Star-Wailord Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, UK.
Posts: 255
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

The problem of Homophobia is very old. Biblical times or further. Homosexuality objectively speaking is no problem. But individuals 'fear' homosexuality due to social norms in their culture. There are many reasons why homosexuality is seen negatively; Sinful, Risk of STDs, etc. Most can be said to be superstitious.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-30-2012, 01:47 AM
Disco's Avatar
Disco Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts, USA.
Posts: 960
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddiursa of the Sky View Post
The recent shift in the homosexual-heterosexual ratio has shown that the most probable reason is because we have overpopulated.
Actually, I don't believe so- I think there hasn't been a shift at all. I personally think it's technology that makes it appear that way. Way back when, when someone was homosexual, it was a wholly private thing that one kept to themselves, and you were afraid to approach this subject to anyone you ever met, in fear that you would be alienated. Nowadays, with things such as the internet, a homosexual individual can communicate and develop their own personal support network with fellow individuals in the LGBTQ spectrum, and supporters as well.

Then, I believe, that this 'recent shift' is not in fact a change in ratio at all- I simply believe that those on the LGBTQ spectrum, finally being able to find a way to connect and discuss their sexuality openly, simply feel much more confident in sharing than before.
__________________

Last edited by Disco; 06-30-2012 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Because clearly I can't spell to save my life.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-30-2012, 02:25 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
Actually, I don't believe so- I think there hasn't been a shift at all. I personally think it's technology that makes it appear that way. Way back when, when someone was homosexual, it was a wholly private thing that one kept to themselves, and you were afraid to approach this subject to anyone you ever met, in fear that you would be alienated. Nowadays, with things such as the internet, a homosexual individual can communicate and develop their own personal support network with fellow individuals in the LGBTQ spectrum, and supporters as well.

Then, I believe, that this 'recent shift' is not in fact a change in ratio at all- I simply believe that those on the LGBTQ spectrum, finally being able to find a way to connect and discuss their sexuality openly, simply feel much more confident in sharing than before.
Perhaps you are correct, though only time will tell.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-30-2012, 05:29 AM
TARDIS's Avatar
TARDIS Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 78
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

Personally, I think being homosexual goes against Darwinism. If you believe in evolution being a force that helps a species become better, as well as move necessary genetic traits along, then homosexual behavior stops it.


Just saying, homosexual people should get the Darwin award for being gay. This btw, is meant as a joke, to help lighten the mood. I stand by my original statements.
__________________
Quote:
The Doctor: TARDIS-"Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. Its a Time Machine!"
(DISCLAIMER:Signature is under work.)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDIS View Post
Personally, I think being homosexual goes against Darwinism. If you believe in evolution being a force that helps a species become better, as well as move necessary genetic traits along, then homosexual behavior stops it.
You are correct, to a certain extent. This is why the modern theory of evolution does not purely rely on Darwinian theory. A homosexual "gene" is either recessive, or the same gene that makes you heterosexual, but it is just affected by another genetic assortment.

It is interesting to note that bisexuals also share a more similar genetic composition to homosexuals than they do with heterosexuals. Yes, evolution is fueled by an organism's need to have sex, but remember that genetic mutations also occur unwarranted.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Star-Wailord's Avatar
Star-Wailord Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, UK.
Posts: 255
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

I find that a homosexual 'gene' is half the reason for homosexuality. I believe that homosexuality is environmental more than innate. I read about some Mono zygotic Twin studies. Where one twin is homosexual whilst the other isn't. However the twins shared the same environment. Which makes my idea less likely.

Maybe there is a gene and certain individuals are vulnerable to being homosexual given the right environmental factors. Apparently I heard a theory that homosexuality increases with the number of siblings (correlation).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Disco's Avatar
Disco Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Massachusetts, USA.
Posts: 960
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDIS View Post
Personally, I think being homosexual goes against Darwinism. If you believe in evolution being a force that helps a species become better, as well as move necessary genetic traits along, then homosexual behavior stops it.
However, if we're talking about our species as if we were talking about other animals, we can say one of our biggest problems is overpopulation. Perhaps homosexuality is, in fact, a trait that 'betters' the species in this case. Of course, it doesn't carry the genes around, but, well, maybe that's not what we need as a species right now? I'm not sure.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Star-Wailord's Avatar
Star-Wailord Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, UK.
Posts: 255
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
However, if we're talking about our species as if we were talking about other animals, we can say one of our biggest problems is overpopulation. Perhaps homosexuality is, in fact, a trait that 'betters' the species in this case. Of course, it doesn't carry the genes around, but, well, maybe that's not what we need as a species right now? I'm not sure.
I think you're right about the overpopulation, homosexuality is something that shouldn't be discouraged right now. Its not a problem individually or collectively for our species.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-30-2012, 09:25 PM
-Pichu Boy-'s Avatar
-Pichu Boy- Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The land of tea and fish 'n' chips
Posts: 3,959
Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDIS View Post
Personally, I think being homosexual goes against Darwinism. If you believe in evolution being a force that helps a species become better, as well as move necessary genetic traits along, then homosexual behavior stops it.


Just saying, homosexual people should get the Darwin award for being gay. This btw, is meant as a joke, to help lighten the mood. I stand by my original statements.
Darwinism and evolution and all that stuff implies and is implied by natural selection, which is the passing on of genes beneficial to a species' survival. For example, giraffes - length of neck is a gene. The ones with longer necks can reach the higher foods, while smaller-necked giraffes run out of food, starve and die. Thus, the longer-necked giraffes pass on their long neck gene to their offspring.

Homosexuality, as far as we know, is not passed on via a gene (hence why you could have several generations of straight people followed by one gay person and then several more straight). Therefore, homosexuality can never be phased out by natural selection, because the "dominant" straight people can produce homosexual offspring, who will go on to survive as normal.

---

Homosexuality should never be encouraged or discouraged. It should just be accepted and we should all let everyone get on with their lives, no matter their sexual orientation, race, gender, whatever.
__________________
URPG | ASB
MK + Trainer17 = Evil twins | MK + Leo = BFFs
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
However, if we're talking about our species as if we were talking about other animals, we can say one of our biggest problems is overpopulation. Perhaps homosexuality is, in fact, a trait that 'betters' the species in this case. Of course, it doesn't carry the genes around, but, well, maybe that's not what we need as a species right now? I'm not sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
Darwinism and evolution and all that stuff implies and is implied by natural selection, which is the passing on of genes beneficial to a species' survival. For example, giraffes - length of neck is a gene. The ones with longer necks can reach the higher foods, while smaller-necked giraffes run out of food, starve and die. Thus, the longer-necked giraffes pass on their long neck gene to their offspring.

Homosexuality, as far as we know, is not passed on via a gene (hence why you could have several generations of straight people followed by one gay person and then several more straight). Therefore, homosexuality can never be phased out by natural selection, because the "dominant" straight people can produce homosexual offspring, who will go on to survive as normal.

---

Homosexuality should never be encouraged or discouraged. It should just be accepted and we should all let everyone get on with their lives, no matter their sexual orientation, race, gender, whatever.

I would recommend listening to Richard Dawkins, a biologist, address the problem of passing down the "gay gene".
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 06-30-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-02-2012, 03:21 AM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

We know homosexuality has a genetic component to it from the concordance studies done earlier. "Being gay" isn't a singular gene, but a strange interaction of genes, epigenetics, and other environmental factors that make up the development of the individual. This explains why "being gay" exists within the gene pool, simply because it's not a simple single gene.

Darwinian theory can be used to postulate why this congregation of genes that when combined create homosexual behaviour. It's simply said that it is neutral from a genetics POV. We have seen plenty of closet gay men who have wives and kids, after all. There just isn't really any selection pressure against it, anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-04-2012, 06:44 AM
3m0d0ll's Avatar
3m0d0ll Offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: t(//_^ t)
Posts: 3,884
Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight of the Stars View Post
Christianity
I don't want all the homosexuality threads to turn into religious attacks based on stereotypes. It's unfair to many members of PE2K, religious or not, "pro-gay" or otherwise, etc. Not saying I disagree with your post, not saying I do agree, I just want to "keep the peace."

Anyway, I feel like when someone is told that being gay is wrong, or gross, or unnatural--and has homosexual attraction to others--feels like they're choosing to be straight, so every gay person is choosing to be gay, thus choosing to live "in sin."

There is no constitutional reason that homosexuality should be illegal or discriminated against, but it is.
__________________
I need a new sig, uhg.
██ ->>> Links. Twin: Justin. Pair: Corey. ||・
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m0d0ll View Post
Anyway, I feel like when someone is told that being gay is wrong, or gross, or unnatural--and has homosexual attraction to others--feels like they're choosing to be straight, so every gay person is choosing to be gay, thus choosing to live "in sin."

One must define what "sin" is, have a sufficient justification for their moral position, and support their arguments with facts. Nobody who stands against homosexuality, in general, has any such thing. Evidence suggests genetic causation, there is no indication that moral acceptance will destroy the "traditional family" (whatever that is), and there lacks evidence as to what would cause whatever fairy to get mad at whatever conglomerate of magic wizards. Overall, homophobia is rampant among the fundamental and evangelical religious. The fact that religious leaders have yet to openly condemn homophobic speakers, I think it is justified to accuse the religion, and not the majority of religious people.

Overall, the fear of homosexual stems from a dearth of education on the subject.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 09-04-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 PM
mintjelly's Avatar
mintjelly Offline
Father Cat
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Castelia City
Posts: 2,446
Send a message via AIM to mintjelly Send a message via Skype™ to mintjelly
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

There's nothing wrong with being gay.
I think that some homophobics are scared to admit that they are gay.
Sort of like a bully in school who has mommy issues and takes them out on others.
Anyhow,



By the way, I'm openly bisexual :)
__________________

Shun the non-believer
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Dentures's Avatar
Dentures Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 58
Send a message via Yahoo to Dentures
Default Re: Homosexuality Ethically Accepted?

It most likely will never happen, at least not in the United States. Our hatred of the 'unnatural' stems back to our devoutly Christian roots and our ignorant ideals of what is the only 'natural' form of love- that of a man and a woman.

I personally think people have a right to love whoever they desire, but what can I do to change a 300-year old xenophobic and now openly homophobic nation?
__________________
Currently: Reading Wuthering Heights - Indigo Plateau

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com