Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Words of Beauty

I cried as I watched this, and it is so very true. Why do we, as humans, think we are so privileged in this vast universe?
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-26-2012, 01:51 AM
karmachameleon's Avatar
karmachameleon Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 1,223
Send a message via AIM to karmachameleon
Default Re: Words of Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
Why do we, as humans, think we are so privileged in this vast universe?
We're the highest form of known sentient life.

I did not find Sagan's pointless and contrived soliloquy beautiful in the slightest.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-26-2012, 01:45 PM
goldwynaut's Avatar
goldwynaut Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 5,670
Default Re: Words of Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmachameleon View Post
We're the highest form of known sentient life.

I did not find Sagan's pointless and contrived soliloquy beautiful in the slightest.
i agree with you france.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Words of Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmachameleon View Post
We're the highest form of known sentient life.

I did not find Sagan's pointless and contrived soliloquy beautiful in the slightest.
And you think, simply because we think we are smart, that we are privileged? We are special?
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-27-2012, 05:37 AM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Words of Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmachameleon View Post
We're the highest form of known sentient life.
And this matters in the grand scheme of the universe, how exactly?
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 PM
UltimateBrawl's Avatar
UltimateBrawl Offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Somewhere epic.
Posts: 220
Default Re: Words of Beauty

Humans aren't entitled to anything IMO. I've seen other say the same thing; Atheist, Christian, Muslim, it doesn't matter. No matter what your beliefs are, someoen within those beliefs will say we are entitled to nothing.

This is why socialism and communism fail. They are based on people succeeding with little to no effort; gaming the system, so to speak. They fail to realize that things must be earned.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Words of Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBrawl View Post
Humans aren't entitled to anything IMO. I've seen other say the same thing; Atheist, Christian, Muslim, it doesn't matter. No matter what your beliefs are, someoen within those beliefs will say we are entitled to nothing.

This is why socialism and communism fail. They are based on people succeeding with little to no effort; gaming the system, so to speak. They fail to realize that things must be earned.
Atheism, in its belief, does not support the idea that anybody is entitled to anything. Religions, however, do.

Socialism and Communism are not based off of that idea at all. Socialism and Communism are based off of the idea that everyone is equal. See any Wiki about Karl Marx or read the book, "Animal Farm." Capitalism, the system that your country has, falls the same way.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 03-31-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-01-2012, 02:24 PM
UltimateBrawl's Avatar
UltimateBrawl Offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Somewhere epic.
Posts: 220
Default Re: Words of Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
Atheism, in its belief, does not support the idea that anybody is entitled to anything. Religions, however, do.

Socialism and Communism are not based off of that idea at all. Socialism and Communism are based off of the idea that everyone is equal. See any Wiki about Karl Marx or read the book, "Animal Farm." Capitalism, the system that your country has, falls the same way.
Here we go.

Christianity is not based on entitlement. Give me ONE EXAMPLE from the Bible on this.

Hmmm.... getting lots of money with little to no work? Oh! THAT'S ENTITLMENT.

Capitalism. Just. is. It creates a system where people must work hard to get things, and it's the most succesfull system to date. Capitalism only fails when it's manipulated too far away from what it should be(*coughcough* progressives *coughcough*)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Words of Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBrawl View Post
Here we go.

Christianity is not based on entitlement. Give me ONE EXAMPLE from the Bible on this.

Hmmm.... getting lots of money with little to no work? Oh! THAT'S ENTITLMENT.

Capitalism. Just. is. It creates a system where people must work hard to get things, and it's the most succesfull system to date. Capitalism only fails when it's manipulated too far away from what it should be(*coughcough* progressives *coughcough*)
Yes, it is. What do you think it means when you win an award, and then you say "Thank God I have this talent/reward". Or the fact that God created the Earth just for us. Or that God created the entire universe just for us. We think we are entitled if we believe what you believe.

It is a form of entitlement. However, the fact of the matter is this. We live on a planet that has 7 billion people on it. Work is scarce in today's economy. So here are my points, young grasshopper.

A) Welfare: Necessary. There will always be an unemployment rate in every healthy economy. Not because one is lazy, but because there is a job competitiveness.

B) Yes, a few people abuse socialist systems, but then again you are probably against Obamacare. Well, let me tell you, plenty of people leech off the current healthcare system and our taxpayers pay for it.

What are you talking about? Have you seen the U.S' deficit? China is Communist and they have an amazing economy. Capitalism is not the best system. Do you even know why people were protesting Wall Street? And again, Marxist ideals are not based off of entitlement, they're based off a basic human right. Equality. How a dictator rises to power and abuses a Communist system is another thing.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 04-07-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-25-2012, 05:42 AM
3m0d0ll's Avatar
3m0d0ll Offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: t(//_^ t)
Posts: 3,884
Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll
Default Re: Words of Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBrawl View Post
Christianity is not based on entitlement. Give me ONE EXAMPLE from the Bible on this.
Uh, the ability to get into Heaven?
__________________
I need a new sig, uhg.
██ ->>> Links. Twin: Justin. Pair: Corey. ||・
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 AM
Sight of the Stars's Avatar
Sight of the Stars Offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Top of Mt. Everest. -shivers- Cold.
Posts: 4,043
Send a message via AIM to Sight of the Stars Send a message via Skype™ to Sight of the Stars
Default Re: Words of Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBrawl View Post
This is why socialism and communism fail. They are based on people succeeding with little to no effort; gaming the system, so to speak. They fail to realize that things must be earned.
I agree with PE2K Voices on the Animal Farm thing.

Textbook Communism is THE perfect government that everyone always wishes we had. I mean, THE perfect government. In textbook Communism, everyone is equal and everyone works to the fullest of their ability (note the key words here. actually, that whole phrase: "works to the fullest of their ability") and together the country prospers. Sadly, though, this isn't a perfect world. People abuse powers and we all know that not everyone works to the fullest of their ability.

I also agree with the statement on the fact that there will always be an unemployment rate , and for the reasons stated.
__________________
.previously known as White Wolf of the Snow.
Quote:
[12:38:59 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: ...So how do we do this? XD
[12:39:20 AM] Sight of the Stars: it's nothing really big, just usually a note in your sig that's all like 'paired with soandso'
[12:39:44 AM] Sight of the Stars: just be like "SIGHT OF THE STARZ IS MAH BIZNITCH"
[12:39:57 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: XDDD
[12:39:59 AM] Sight of the Stars: and I'll be like "GALLANTLYGLACEON IS MAH HOE."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Words of Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight of the Stars View Post
I agree with PE2K Voices on the Animal Farm thing.

Textbook Communism is THE perfect government that everyone always wishes we had. I mean, THE perfect government. In textbook Communism, everyone is equal and everyone works to the fullest of their ability (note the key words here. actually, that whole phrase: "works to the fullest of their ability") and together the country prospers. Sadly, though, this isn't a perfect world. People abuse powers and we all know that not everyone works to the fullest of their ability.

I also agree with the statement on the fact that there will always be an unemployment rate , and for the reasons stated.
No, I completely agree with you. Communism is perfect on paper. When it comes to actually implementing it, it fails. The only reason it looks good on paper is because it does not account for human nature. Of course, does any government system?
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-11-2013, 06:51 PM
tombzg56 Offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
Default Re: Words of Beauty

African culture can be visible and present in Benelux media on a permanent basis in the films presented in this competition. The entries do not only invite films but it also covers animation, documentary, kids, and short films for the competition.
_______
Cheap flight tickets to Lagos
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com