Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Lan.exe Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lan.exe
Default The War on Drugs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_on_Drugs

When I look at the world today, I see tons of unhappy people depressed at life and our toxic society. These people in turn usually turn to drugs as a form of escape from the stale prisons built around them. However, in the 70s, a massive campaign was launched to prevent drug use among the population. While some drugs are outright horrible, it's unfair to consider many of the so called "soft drugs" as something to avoid. When used correctly, these drugs can serve as incredible tools to shape and expand the human mind. However, our society has built up a negative perception on these substances, and many people blindly turn against drug use (funny for a society so addicted to prescription medicines).

Growing up, the influence of drugs in my life was tremendous. Everywhere you went, people praised Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Pink Floyd and a few other musicians as gods among men. They all had something in common besides music: their use of psychedelic drugs, such as cannabis and LSD. It intrigued me that for all the negative connotations behind drugs, there were these fully functioning, highly creative individuals who thrived under the influence. That's when the picture becomes clearer, not all drugs are "bad".

So why are they illegal?

I'll spare you the paranoia/conspiracy crap and an inaccurate history lesson and give it to you straight: money. In the modern day, there are powerful and rich industries lobbying for the war on drugs, such as the pharmaceutical and prison industries. Drug testing, locking people up, it's all big business, and people like things like economy and job security. So, in self interest, these industries perpetually continue a freedom restricting practice, all to make money. The reason you have to piss in a bottle to get a job? Because they don't want you smoking a certain green herb (because face it, all other drugs are long gone by the time you pee). Sounds pretty outrageous to me, but they're probably laughing all the way to the bank.

Have I mentioned that there are plenty of websites (especially this one) dedicated to smart/responsible drug use? Why is that illegal? Just because people can abuse it doesn't mean it should be illegal. People abuse McDonalds every day, but you don't see them closing down McDonalds, do you?

Thoughts?
Old 06-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: The War on Drugs

More harmless drugs should be legal. It is as ridiculous as the prohibition on alcohol. More dangerous drugs, however, should still remain restricted.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 PM
RaptorJesus Offline
Ultra RPG Official

Send a message via AIM to RaptorJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
More harmless drugs should be legal. It is as ridiculous as the prohibition on alcohol. More dangerous drugs, however, should still remain restricted.
None of them are "harmless", otherwise they wouldn't warrant the title drugs. However, if we consider alcohol acceptable, there is no reason we shouldn't grant the same leniency to some drugs of comparably ill side effects.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Lan.exe Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorJesus View Post
None of them are "harmless", otherwise they wouldn't warrant the title drugs. However, if we consider alcohol acceptable, there is no reason we shouldn't grant the same leniency to some drugs of comparably ill side effects.
Well, to be fair, nothing in life is really "harmless" anyways. Drugs like cannabis and LSD are far safer and less destructive to the body than alcohol even is, but the point isn't to take too much (like getting drunk). The effects of these drugs are comparable to something like meditation and are more likely to put you to sleep than "make you do something stupid", especially the more you take.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporal Snake View Post
Well, to be fair, nothing in life is really "harmless" anyways. Drugs like cannabis and LSD are far safer and less destructive to the body than alcohol even is, but the point isn't to take too much (like getting drunk). The effects of these drugs are comparable to something like meditation and are more likely to put you to sleep than "make you do something stupid", especially the more you take.
Agreed. The prohibition on drugs of that sort is as unreasonable as it was on alcohol. More dangerous drugs, however, should definitely remain monitored and policed.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:44 AM
RaptorJesus Offline
Ultra RPG Official

The "War on Drugs" itself is, at this point, a failure anyway. The only people getting caught are minor offenders and its costing the government hundreds of thousands in wasted tax dollars. Somethings got to give and I'm fairly certain it won't be the offenders. It is essentially, a massive failure. A better solution is required.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
The "War on Drugs" itself is, at this point, a failure anyway. The only people getting caught are minor offenders and its costing the government hundreds of thousands in wasted tax dollars. Somethings got to give and I'm fairly certain it won't be the offenders. It is essentially, a massive failure. A better solution is required.
Studies have shown that countries that legalize drugs tend to decrease in drug usage.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Phantom0990 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Phantom0990

I'm straight edge, so yeah. I'm against drugs, very much so. I'm also against drinking. VERY against it. Since my mom is in a wheelchair because she was hit by a drunk driver.

No drug is less harmless than another. True, pot might be 'weaker' or there are 'soft' drugs, but it's not just the drug itself. It's the person taking it. The person who get's high then decides to go out and drive. The person who overdoses on perscriptions. The drug didn't make them take that drug. It's an inanimate object. It's a person's will that did it. Their option to say yes to taking it. Addiction begins with the first time you use. It may not be strong, it depends on the person for that.

There is no such thing as a 'harmless' drug. 420 is worse than tobacco smoke, plus in younger users it can **** up your life in other ways; like verbal and even learning skills. So I don't even want to hear how it's 'harmless'. Especially since I had a cousin die recently because he decided to drive to the store to get food while high and crashed, killing himself and injuring two others.

You might argue that, well, not everyone is like that. I say that's true. But making drugs legal and more readily available doesn't improve the chances that those idiots won't get ahold of those drugs.

And I'm actually for making things dry again here in the US.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:18 AM
Lan.exe Offline

Just because stupid people do stupid things on drugs doesn't mean drugs make you stupid.

I still believe above all in giving people a freedom of choice in life. Know what'll reduce these occurrences of death and mental impairment? Education, something the USA lacks big time on. Teach people about the dangers instead of just telling them not to do all drugs. Instead our society has this giant taboo and the people that do take drugs tend to take them to get really ****ed up. The key is everything in moderation. Trust me, I smoke weed everyday (but not a ridiculous amount) and have done so for the past 3 years. The side effects are that I'm more calm and balanced in thinking, one could describe it as being more in tune with the universe. Oh, and I eat more. Yeah, there's a slight impairment in motor skill, but guess what? You get the same "impairment" from being tired.

Driving in itself is dangerous, and I'm more likely to kill someone driving tired or angry than if I've got a slight buzz (driving stoned is stupid).

So how about instead of trying to idiot-proof the place, we educate the idiots so that they aren't idiots?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:15 AM
RaptorJesus Offline
Ultra RPG Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom0990 View Post
I'm straight edge, so yeah. I'm against drugs, very much so. I'm also against drinking. VERY against it. Since my mom is in a wheelchair because she was hit by a drunk driver.

No drug is less harmless than another. True, pot might be 'weaker' or there are 'soft' drugs, but it's not just the drug itself. It's the person taking it. The person who get's high then decides to go out and drive. The person who overdoses on perscriptions. The drug didn't make them take that drug. It's an inanimate object. It's a person's will that did it. Their option to say yes to taking it. Addiction begins with the first time you use. It may not be strong, it depends on the person for that.

There is no such thing as a 'harmless' drug. 420 is worse than tobacco smoke, plus in younger users it can **** up your life in other ways; like verbal and even learning skills. So I don't even want to hear how it's 'harmless'. Especially since I had a cousin die recently because he decided to drive to the store to get food while high and crashed, killing himself and injuring two others.

You might argue that, well, not everyone is like that. I say that's true. But making drugs legal and more readily available doesn't improve the chances that those idiots won't get ahold of those drugs.

Making something illegal doesn't really help. Drug usage isn't rampant because they're legal. In reference to Voices post above, the legal status probably makes things worse. Kids thinks its "cool" to do it because its prohibited. They start young and continue to participate in this behavior. Not that I don't see where you're coming from, but human psychology makes it a bad road to take. Nobody likes being told what they can and can't do.

Quote:
Just because stupid people do stupid things on drugs doesn't mean drugs make you stupid.

I still believe above all in giving people a freedom of choice in life. Know what'll reduce these occurrences of death and mental impairment? Education, something the USA lacks big time on. Teach people about the dangers instead of just telling them not to do all drugs. Instead our society has this giant taboo and the people that do take drugs tend to take them to get really ****ed up. The key is everything in moderation. Trust me, I smoke weed everyday (but not a ridiculous amount) and have done so for the past 3 years. The side effects are that I'm more calm and balanced in thinking, one could describe it as being more in tune with the universe. Oh, and I eat more. Yeah, there's a slight impairment in motor skill, but guess what? You get the same "impairment" from being tired.

Driving in itself is dangerous, and I'm more likely to kill someone driving tired or angry than if I've got a slight buzz (driving stoned is stupid).

So how about instead of trying to idiot-proof the place, we educate the idiots so that they aren't idiots?
I really don't think the issue is lack of knowledge. I for one, remember what I was taught in my Health classes in the public school system here in the US. The US public school system, I think, is very flawed, but I believe they did an adequate job in this regard. They explained what happened and gave a general run down of the effects that most of the more common illegal drugs were. It wasn't all "don't do this". For moderately intelligent, well balanced people, this would be a sound approach. Unfortunately, not everybody is this way. Thats what makes legislating these kinds of substances so tricky, finding an approach and attitude that works for all people.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom0990 View Post

That ideology is extremely illogical, dangerous, and ignorant. Not because I use drugs, or because I even drink anymore (I don't). The reason is the crime. Did you ever study the alcohol prohibition back in the 20th century? Precisely the reason why the mafia grew so much, so quickly. The same thing applies to crime today.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Lan.exe Offline

Quote:
Making something illegal doesn't really help. Drug usage isn't rampant because they're legal. In reference to Voices post above, the legal status probably makes things worse. Kids thinks its "cool" to do it because its prohibited. They start young and continue to participate in this behavior (and get addicted!). Not that I don't see where you're coming from, but human psychology makes it a bad road to take. Nobody likes being told what they can and can't do.
I agree so much. Know how many friends I have that smoke cigarettes because they're addicted? A lot. Most of them started young and now it's become something they can no longer control. Tobacco is the worst drug of all, in fact it's only effect is death. But people smoke it cause it's legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
That ideology is extremely illogical, dangerous, and ignorant. Not because I use drugs, or because I even drink anymore (I don't). The reason is the crime. Did you ever study the alcohol prohibition back in the 20th century? Precisely the reason why the mafia grew so much, so quickly. The same thing applies to crime today.
Likewise; Illegal drug cartels today wreak havoc in places like Mexico because they're starting to become richer than governments. And what do they spend their money on? Weapons to fight the police. Weapons that in turn kill innocent people. The war on drugs amounts to a tremendous crime against humanity, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to equate supporters of this frreedom restricting mindset with nazis.

Last edited by Lan.exe; 06-09-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Likewise; Illegal drug cartels today wreak havoc in places like Mexico because they're starting to become richer than governments. And what do they spend their money on? Weapons to fight the police. Weapons that in turn kill innocent people. The war on drugs amounts to a tremendous crime against humanity, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to equate supporters of this frreedom restricting mindset with nazis.
Precisely why I mentioned crime today.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:50 PM
tombzg56 Offline

It has caused an increase in Lagos flights and hence is believed to be promoting unity by connecting people from around the globe. It not only helps them advertising their work but also will help out them generating some income for them that will be used in producing more standard films consequently boasting film industry.
_______
Cheap flight tickets to Lagos