Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Youtube is liberal?

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/lauren-...-cater-lefties

Interesting article. I actually think that this is an actual article made to be complementing leftists in general or something. With the current US political spectrum being right (Democrats) and far right (Republicans), we hardly hear about leftists in general nowadays.

Well, the article talks about how youtube is leftist and how there isn't a conservative voice to be heard (which btw isn't true, they just aren't popular on youtube). But I'd like to address something about liberalism first.

Well, apparently "Liberal" is a negative word when it comes to the media. What are these people talking about? Liberal is a GOOD word. It's assicated with freedom and equality. Look at the definitions on dictionary.com. While the first 3 definitions are associated with "progressiveness", the third is as such:

Quote:
favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, especially as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.
As far as I can tell, this is a very positive thing and is part of the US constitution. Whatever Fox News is trying to say, liberalism is, undoubtedly in its purest dictionary form, associated with the American Dream. In that aspect, science is associated with political conservatism (everything is under scrutiny and skepticism, even the theory of gravity, now relativity), it is also associated with liberalism in its striving towards progress and expansion of knowledge. Heck, medicine is liberalism at its finest: compassion, altruism, respect, and empathy are central tenents of medicine (though whether or not somebody follows such a tenent is up for debate). In that aspect, I guess I am a politically conservative flaming liberal. >.>

Youtube remains an area of the internet that has freedom of speech. People can and are allowed to speak their mind in any way they want on Youtube and are then subjected to the scrutiny of the public. If the voice is made and isn't being popular, it is, perhaps, simply that the opinion isn't popular or the prevailing voice to be heard.

But I must digress once again, I want to actually get to know some of these conservatives in general. In life, they probably are pleasant people. I understand that disagreements are going to happen, but I have yet to understand why tolerance isn't being taught in any school of thought either. I'm not quite sure on how to have such patience for that matter either. But I am human, and this is quite a difficult concept to wrap my head about as well.

In any case, what doees one think about youtube? Is it simply because it's pushing for a liberal agenda that its top 100 channels are liberal? Or is it rather a reflection of the population in the world in general?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Quaza529 Offline

Default Re: Youtube is liberal?

well i think youtube is just for fun it depends on what people put on it some people put news and others put well funny videos

Like a Baws
Old 04-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Max0596 Offline

Send a message via MSN to Max0596

Well, I'm up here in the land of sunshine and rainbows known as the stable Saskatchewan economy, or in a large, Canada.

What I can say, is it could be one thing, the Liberals are a lot more internet savvy, I guess. What people don't understand, is that "top" channels are there because of a few things: Views, Subscribers, and Likes. I'm sure you know what these are. Views are a-no, the biggest part of this, and people don't realize that. So really, it could be a bunch of Conservatives watching it.

DERP. I'm now just reading the actual article, and I have to say this: Yeah, kinda. Well, it seems that there was obviously money changing hands here, liberals giving Google money to be on this list.

Although it could be either way. Heck, Machinima, Smosh, and BlackBoxTV are on that list XD

|||||||||||||||Enjoy the moment!
|||||||||||||||I take requests...if you want stuff, I mean...
Old 04-16-2012, 01:49 AM
Miasma Offline

It's actually kind of coincidental that I stumbled onto this topic, because just the other day I saw a video on Youtube about Barack Obama vs Mitt Romney where the comments made me raise an eyebrow. Not a single comment that I saw gave any praise for Romney, instead every one of them seemed to be in support of Obama, which I found odd considering most everyone in my personal life dislikes the latter.

I'm not well informed enough to state a real opinion on this, but it would appear to me that a lot of Youtube's users are more liberal at least in their party affiliation, although I can't speak for what they are aside from that. Being liberal or conservative in terms of party affiliation has always seemed a lot different than the actual meanings of those two words, and so I'm not sure it's appropriate to judge someone by what party they support.

I think its similar to how communism gets bashed by people as if it's some evil thing, even though I don't believe we've ever seen a country that used actual communistic methods of managing society. Instead we've seen a bunch of dictators slap the word communism onto their regimes for one reason or another, giving it a bad name. But now I'm off topic. <_<;

I certainly don't think that there is no conservative voice on Youtube, there probably just aren't as many conservative users.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miasma View Post
It's actually kind of coincidental that I stumbled onto this topic, because just the other day I saw a video on Youtube about Barack Obama vs Mitt Romney where the comments made me raise an eyebrow. Not a single comment that I saw gave any praise for Romney, instead every one of them seemed to be in support of Obama, which I found odd considering most everyone in my personal life dislikes the latter.

I'm not well informed enough to state a real opinion on this, but it would appear to me that a lot of Youtube's users are more liberal at least in their party affiliation, although I can't speak for what they are aside from that. Being liberal or conservative in terms of party affiliation has always seemed a lot different than the actual meanings of those two words, and so I'm not sure it's appropriate to judge someone by what party they support.

I think its similar to how communism gets bashed by people as if it's some evil thing, even though I don't believe we've ever seen a country that used actual communistic methods of managing society. Instead we've seen a bunch of dictators slap the word communism onto their regimes for one reason or another, giving it a bad name. But now I'm off topic. <_<;

I certainly don't think that there is no conservative voice on Youtube, there probably just aren't as many conservative users.
That is because real communism is Marxist, and would never work on account that humans have human nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max0596 View Post
Well, I'm up here in the land of sunshine and rainbows known as the stable Saskatchewan economy, or in a large, Canada.

What I can say, is it could be one thing, the Liberals are a lot more internet savvy, I guess. What people don't understand, is that "top" channels are there because of a few things: Views, Subscribers, and Likes. I'm sure you know what these are. Views are a-no, the biggest part of this, and people don't realize that. So really, it could be a bunch of Conservatives watching it.

DERP. I'm now just reading the actual article, and I have to say this: Yeah, kinda. Well, it seems that there was obviously money changing hands here, liberals giving Google money to be on this list.

Although it could be either way. Heck, Machinima, Smosh, and BlackBoxTV are on that list XD
I can guarantee that there are thousands of conservative Youtube channels that post biased news spouted out by Conservapedia, but they are not popular. I will tell you why Mitt Romney is being hated on. Because people realize how loony all the GOPs are.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 04-16-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max0596 View Post

Well there were a number of polls that state that progressive is the most common affiliation in the US today, though self-identification is still conservative. Not many people openly proclaim they are liberals either.

I agree that it's probably because conservatives are not as internet savvy.

Quote:
The issue, of course, is that there are biases on both ends of the spectrum. Liberals and conservatives often do either. If you watch Fox News, if Obama is mentioned in any sentence, it will be negative. If Romney is mentioned, it will be positive. It's a very basic "us vs them" propaganda tactic. More importantly, the use of cherry picking facts and/or outright lying help propel this forward, though I must admit that Fox is much more commonplace in this area of propaganda than the "liberal media" (by liberal media, I mean central-right media. The real liberal media are on youtube, along with everything else.).

Heck, I haven no idea why it took Obama 4 years to figure out that he can actually use the word "Obamacare" to his advantage. Fox always said it was bad, but only recently has Obama actually spawned a campaign to which they interviewed ordinary citizens and how Obamacare helped them, for example. I don't think it's a place here in this part of the thread to talk about health care, but I wanted you to just see how propaganda and counter-propaganda is often the predominant force.

It's impossible to find "fair and balanced" because there will always be a bias. I'm, for example, always going to be biased toward helping others. And that's fine to have a bias. What isn't fine is twisting facts and lying to "prove" your viewpoint is accurate.

Quote:
I actually think that it's not so much a party issue but rather an issue of what people want to hear from their media. I don't want anybody to have a take home message of "judging" someone by their affiliations. That's not the point. The point is, however, to understand and debate on points and issues and not the people surrounding it.

Quote:

Agreed on first paragraph. Second paragraph: I actually do see a lot of self-proclaimed conservatives (those that give conservatives a bad name). I've seen intelligent conservatives before, and I've seen politically conservative flaming liberals before as well. Well...doesn't help that being a doctor means to be a liberal because we're bound by the [dictionary definition of] liberal oath called "hippocratic oath". lol
Old 04-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Socratic Sarcasm Offline

YouTube is liberal because liberal is more popular. Conservatives are focusing too much on what they are NOT, which turns people off because they want to know what they ARE. With the conservative party point-blank refusing compromise unless you want to be known as a douchebag sleazy idiotic traitor, I personally find it surprising that there are many conservatives left. But as Keith Olberman said so accurately about the Fox News audience,"fair and balanced and dead."

Old 05-01-2012, 06:37 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Internet users tend to be more liberal than the general populace, it's pretty much as simple as that. You'll find a lot more liberal communities than conservative ones.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 11-11-2013, 06:45 PM
tombzg56 Offline

The main airport functioning in Lagos is the Murtala Muhammad International Airport dedicated to the murdered president of Nigeria. This airport entertains abundant flights that attach you to the remaining world.
_________
Lagos travel information
Old 11-11-2013, 06:46 PM
tombzg56 Offline

The main airport functioning in Lagos is the Murtala Muhammad International Airport dedicated to the murdered president of Nigeria. This airport entertains abundant flights that attach you to the remaining world.
_________
Lagos travel information