Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey
Default The Trials of an Ex-Pokémon Fan

What's this story about? Imagine bullying a Pokémon fan.

Now imagine being sucked into a Pokémon region you've never heard of.

Chapter Index

Just for size, I decided to put this in spoiler tags. :3

Quote:
Chapter 0

No hates to be cliché more than I, but I cannot refrain from saying the phrase "everything changed" March 6th, 2011. What happened that day, might you ask? That was the day Pokémon Black and White Versions came out.

Now, you might be asking a few things. To whom this might concern: I am from a world where Pokémon do not exist. I wish to assure the reader - despite the world of residence - that a world of Pokémon exists and that a world without Pokémon also exists. What I really want to say is that I was taken from my world and placed into the world of Pokémon, all because I bullied a kid in my English class because of his "obsession" to what was just assumed to be a franchise. I will tell you this just once: it is not just some multimillion dollar company that sits towards the top of the Nintendo corporation. It is far more than just that. You may never believe me, but it's true.

People who read this coming from the Pokémon world may not understand, so let me first explain. The Pokémon franchise began in a country we in our world know to be Japan, in the year 1995. It began with two video games for the Game Boy Color, Pokémon Green and Red Versions, developed by a man named Satoshi Tajiri. Eventually, Blue and Yellow came out, and soon gained international fame once it came to another country, America, in the guise of Blue and Red, and eventually Yellow as well. Over the course of the next sixteen years, the company expanded another four generations. When it first started out, there were only 150 Pokémon. Even after the announcement of the 151st, the franchise expanded greatly expanded by another 498 Pokémon. From the games also yielded a television show, a card game, various manga, movies and fan merchandise. To say that it was wildly successful is an understatement.

Now, how can a world of Pokémon exist, one might ask? How can a world without Pokémon exist? Well, that's the question. I don't know. I don't think I'll ever know. I especially can't answer that question given the fact that I abandoned Pokémon right around the coming of the third generation of Pokémon, partially because Misty left the television show towards the end of the second generation and because the third generation looked really off. And all of that made coming to the Unova region - what I soon learned was the fifth generation - all the more difficult and mind-blowing.

Last edited by Professor Geoffrey; 04-15-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 PM

Default Re: The Trials of an Ex-Pokémon Fan

Last edited by Professor Geoffrey; 03-19-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:20 AM

Chapter One - Awakening

Point of View: Farren

Quote:
Now, the morning felt like your average morning. Until you wake up in a bed that wasn't yours to begin with, anyway. It all started out with me waking up. When I wake up, I don't open my eyes, or at least I don't remember doing so. I toss and turn, perhaps look at the time once in a while so I make sure I'm not late to school. I will yawn a few times, pull the covers even just a millimeter closer to keep as warm as possible, rub the sand out of my eyes and just think with my eyes closed. Think about anything, anyone, any event or just replay memories in my mind. These are the times that I feel the most content and relaxed. Eventually I rub my face, turn over onto my back, and open my eyes. I'm in someone else's room.

Never mind the fact that the alarm clock was virtually the same as the one I had, on a nightstand similar in proportions and wood as mine, and the fact that the room was almost exactly the same in dimensions and furniture placement. But there were a few minute details - no, a few major details - that made me quite certain that this was not my room. Instead of my armoire being humongous practically immovable, ancient and wooden, it was smaller, chic and decorated with Poké Balls. Wait, what? Poké Balls? What was going on here?

Instead of my Kingdom Hearts and House, M.D. posters, there were posters featuring Pokémon I had never seen before. Instead being decorated with various different stones and minerals from around the world, it was covered in an array of Pokémon paraphernalia. My room was a Pokémon fan's dream come true. But not mine. Instead, this was an extremely outlandish nightmare that terrified me. This had to be a joke. The dresser was even covered with a ridiculous amount of Poké Dolls. I'm seventeen years old; I haven't owned a Poké Doll in almost a decade! Slowly, I got up out of bed to look around. The pale pink carpets were extremely soft; so soft that your feet would sink to the floor with every step.

And then I looked up to the mirror resting on top of the dresser, and almost screamed.

I was looking back at the reflection of another person. I could not see my own reflection. This was so incredibly weird and disorienting. A paradox. How can I look into the mirror and see someone other than me? This boy I was looking at had no facial hair, unlike me. Every other day I could wake up to five o' clock shadow, and it has been three days since I last shaved. This guy had poofy Dragonball Z like hair, which was impossible, since I preferred buzz cuts or at least a hairstyle that was drastically less that this one. And I do not recall ever wearing Pokémon-themed pajamas.

Suddenly, a feminine voice calls, "Farren! Hurry up and get out of bed! Genna already left! I thought you said last night that you wanted to beat your sister to Professor Juniper's! She called and said that Cheren's already there!"

What the hell?

"She just texted back and said that he picked Snivy! You still have a chance to get Oshawott! Your sister really wants Tepig!"

I didn't dare move. Not yet, not now, anyway. I couldn't make sense of anything right now. I don't have a sister. My name is Farren, but that's the only thing that sounds normal so far. Looking back to the mirror and then down at my body, I sighed. None of this sounded logical to any extent. What is an Oshawott? What is a Tepig, or Snivy? Pokémon? Are you serious? Surely that can't be...

Then there was a knock on he door.

My voice shook, but somehow I managed to speak. "Y-yes?"

The doorknob twisted. A woman a little taller than me and a little creature about two and a half feet in height appeared in a hallway on the opposite side of the threshold: her facial expression was at first extremely stern but it grew softer with each passing second.

"Aww, Farren! You're not getting cold feet are you? Everyone is anxious to go out on their Pokémon journey, but come on! You've got the chance to do extraordinary things, see extraordinary Pokémon! Don't let it go to waste!"

I looked at the creature as it entered the room, looking around and twirling gracefully, as if dancing. It was a blackish thing with a skinny black dress, its "hair" done up into two round pigtails, had a light purple face and blue eyes, and bows decorating its head and its dress. It seemed to sing and dance a little, saying "Gothorita" over and over again as if speaking.

The woman was captivated at this as she made the item she was carrying - a somewhat heavy-looking backpack with a Poké Ball design on it - more visible. "Aww. Gothorita is going to miss you so much. She's such a cute thing, isn't she? Now, just because you're a young man doesn't mean that you can't catch cute Pokémon, alright?"

Did I hear her correctly? Pokémon? This was a Pokémon? It had to have been some sort of extremely lifelike remote-control robot or something. Must have been! But it appeared to be just another carbon-based life form, just like me. This was beyond my comprehension. I really didn't know what to say. I couldn't say anything.

"Now, I prepared this for you," she said, stepping forward and handing me the bag as Gothorita danced out of the way. "It's got all of the amenities you'll possibly need. I even stuffed it with an extra 1,000 PokéDollars, but don't tell your sister! I know she has an extra two years on you, but that's an added two years of knowledge. She should be fine. But I even packed a few Berries, a few Potions... Honey what's wrong?"

This is when I noticed I was fidgeting a little bit and biting my nails as I usually did when I was nervous like this, or was trying really hard to space out, all to no avail. Suddenly stepping forward, she gently placed the back of her hand against my forehead, and then for some reason, her lips. I would have pulled back, but I didn't.

"Hmm," she mused puzzlingly, crossing her arms. "You don't have a fever. You're just standing there. Don't you want to be a Pokémon trainer, honey?" She was acting like she was my mom. In fact, for some odd reason, it felt like she was my mom. Even Gothorita tilted its head in confusion, mimicking my mom by crossing its flexible black stubby arms. This somehow reminded me of Ash Ketchum's mom and her Mr. Mime from that Pokémon show I used to watch every Saturday morning on Kids WB so long ago...

"I-I'm fine," I stuttered. "Really. I'll get dressed."

She looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "Alrighty then. I'll take your backpack downstairs. But if you don't want to be a Pokémon trainer this year, it's okay. You can wait, I suppose... but you have been begging me to go for several months. I had to pull all that time filling out that application for your Trainer's License. It's on the counter."

I nodded with a heavy sigh. "Thanks, Mom." It had hit just the right key, and she nodded back as she took my backpack and closed the door behind Gothorita as it followed her.

Now, what to do?

I did not know what to say, what to think, or how to feel. I started to ask myself all of the obvious questions: was this real, was this a dream? This couldn't just simply be a sick joke. I had to rule that out because of Gothorita. Her appearance totally took out the prank possibility. If it were a dream, however, I would be able to manipulate it at will, right? I learned in Advanced Placement Psychology last year that in lucid dreams - such as this one, if this was the case - I would be able to do whatever I want, in theory. Focusing as hard as I could, I closed my eyes and reimagined my surroundings. I did not want to think abut Pokémon, I wanted to be back in my old room, with my usual things. Anything by Pokémon. At this point, Dora the Explorer would be heaven in comparison.

I opened my eyes. No Swiper the Fox, no Yugi Moto, not even so much as the Geico Gecko. Nothing. I was in the same place, same time, same universe. I was stuck.

So, was this real?

Five minutes later, I had been scrounging through the drawers of the dresser covered with Poké Dolls. There was not much to it, as it just seemed like a small lightweight piece of furniture made out of particle board that I could easily move with a fraction of my strength. There weren't many clothes here, maybe enough for a week. Nonetheless, since it seemed rather warm, I found an interesting pair of black skinny jeans with a solid electric blue stripe going down the sides, as if from a Tron movie. I managed to find a shirt that so happened to be the same color blue and had a "Proctor, M.D." logo along its width. Two pairs of ankle socks and then a pair of high-top shoes that were also black and electric blue. Where did these clothes came from? Whoever picked them out had style. There was even - surprise, surprise - a zip-up lightweight jacket with the same color scheme only with a Poké Ball design and matching fingerless gloves.

My eyes met my reflection, and my temporary excitement came to a halt. This is not who I am. I do not know who this is, but it's not me. This is some eleven-year-old boy who's life I have taken over. I was going on nothing: no explanation, no proof, nothing. It just felt as if I were going with the flow. What other choice did I have, after all? Let's say this is your typical movie, or whatever. Main character switches bodies with some other guy, or takes the place of another guy, insert scenario here. What happens next? The main character just goes with it and moves on, hoping to figure things out. Well, it's not like I really have any other choice, but really, what next? I don't have to follow the same storyline, right? Surely there must be another way out of this mess.

I was running out of time. Let's rethink things. Okay, perhaps I need to think about this in terms of Pokémon. The games, the television show? Kid wakes up in the beginning, excited to be a Pokémon trainer for the first time ever. What next? He (or she) goes over to the regional professor, gets a starter Pokémon and a Poké Dex, and goes on an adventure, defeating a villainous criminal syndicate (or two villainous criminal syndicates, in respect to Generation III) along the way. That's how Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby and Sapphire worked, anyway. I don't know about FireRed, LeafGreen, Emerald or any of the other games that came afterward. That's when I quit Pokémon, which ironically makes all of this thinking that I don't have an option all the more illogical.

"Farren! Hurry up!"

"Almost done!" I called back. I sighed. Oh, one other thing I forgot, something I might regret not thinking about. A father? I had a father in the real world, but in the Pokémon games (again, discounting Generation III), the main character doesn't have a father. That would be a touchy subject I would have to avoid. Oh my God, so many things to think about. This made talking about anything a potential landmine. What to think, what to feel, what to say, what to do! What do I do? Every single action was a Hail Mary pass, every thing I said was a prayer hoping things would be alright. Remembering that my "mother" had taken my backpack, I knew I had nothing to gather. I looked around the room, exhaling heavily. Nothing left to do.

I walked out the door, and the rest of the house presented itself. It was very clean, very clear, starting with a hallway. As I walked through, I was surrounded in various collages of photos. I glanced briefly at all of them: pictures of a younger "me", a younger "mom". And a male figure, probably a younger "dad". Bingo. Oh wait, he's wearing a cowboy hat and is at least three times my size. Unbingo! I mean, there might've been some resemblance. I don't know. My eyes then come across a family portrait: "Mom", probably "Dad", "me" wearing "Dad's" cowboy hat, and a girl that looked a little older than me. Genna? This was my "sister"? The first thing I noticed was her extremely revealing short shorts that came up a couple inches further than halfway up her thigh and pockets that transcended the seams. Talk about a fashion disaster. Looking at some of the other pictures of her, she always was wearing a white and pink cap and kept her hair in a bumped-up version of a ponytail and two locks of hair coming down the sides of her face. She had extremely distinctive green eyes that seemed to pierce through the pictures as if she knew you were looking at her photo.

Snapping out of it, I decided not to dawdle any longer. Heading through the hallway, I led myself into a rather homey family room with a fireplace, modern, elegant furniture and a large widescreen television thinner than the width of my fingernail. The color scheme was rather monochromatic, most things in black, white or various shades of gray, with multiple accent colors. The family room led into the kitchen, where "Mom" had my things laid out. My backpack, which was fairly large, and a new black and electric blue hat with the tag still attached. It matched my jacket, Poké Ball design and all.

Appearing from behind, probably from the other room that was leading into the kitchen yet was mostly divided by a wall, "Mom" chimes, "Oh, I hope you love it. Now, as I said, all the necessities are packed. If you can, try and check into a Pokémon Center for the night and limit camping to an absolute minimum. I don't want you getting any kind of viruses or anything."

Camping? I hadn't anticipated that. Well, thank goodness I was a Boy Scout from kindergarten up until seventh grade. At least I have some kind of basic survival skill set.

"Mom, I'll be fine," I say, kind of embarrassed. I almost wanted to groan, as if I were actually leaving for some kind of summer camp. Only this was moreso long term. I wondered how leaving at the age of ten was really a valid option: what about rapists, or murders? Thieves? Was there any kind of worry here other than the possible Pokémon bug bites "Mom" was referring to? No such thing happened in the games or in the television show (partially due to already being heavily scrutinized by parents and for fear of a drop in ratings), but an argument from ignorance doesn't hold water.

As I grabbed my moderately heavy backpack with a little difficulty and removed the tag from the hat shortly before slipping it over my head, "Mom" held out a plastic card. I took and examined it. My Pokémon Trainer's license. Name, Farren. Gender, male. Age, eleven. Weight, height, all that stuff. Hometown, Nuvema Town. Home region, Unova.

"I also replaced your Cross-Transciever as a surprise," she continued, fishing something out a purse she had slung around her neck. "Same with Genna. I got you both the new éPhone 4S! Unlimited calling, unlimited texting, unlimited data!"

Oh you have got to be kidding me.

Before I knew it, something very similar to the iPhone 4S from my world appeared before me and was placed in my hand. Instead of an Apple symbol on the back, it had a Poké Ball, of course.

I tried to feign some appreciation so I didn't look totally dead. "Oh my gosh Mom! Thanks!" I tried to look happy, putting forth all of my acting skills despite drama never being my forte.

She giggled. "You're very welcome. Don't forget to call me once in a while. Once you get to Accumula Town, it's probably best you stop there for the night. Now, since you'll be a trainer, you don't have to cross the bridge going over Route 1 anymore. It'll be quicker, easier and much more fun if you go straight through. Maybe battle a few trainers, catch some Pokémon? But don't have too much fun now. Oh look at me! I'm rambling. I'm holding you back."

In an unnerving millisecond, she lost all control and pulled me in for a hug, pressing my head to her chest. She was squeezing me a little bit, which kind of mellowed me out a little. This woman was my mother. She acted like it, anyway. She was actually sobbing very hard all of a sudden, and I could hear an array of tears dive bombing, splashing on my hat and practically gagging her. In this embrace, I could feel a mother's warmth. Many things were complicated and mysterious, but the fact that she was indeed my mom was only just the former.

"Mom...”

She released her grasp, placing her hands on my shoulders as she looked at me with reddened eyes, tearstained cheeks and a half-smile. "Go. I love you. Enjoy yourself!"

I nodded, stepping aside to grab my backpack, placing my Trainer's license in my back pocket. Looking at her one final time, I eventually found the front door, past the living room. With a brief moment's hesitation, I opened the door and stepped forward, despite all of the awkwardness, despite all of the mystery, despite being new to all of this.

My face was met with the brisk air of early spring, the green horizon of grassy plains and trees barely covered in green buds. Bird Pokémon were flying overhead, gathering little twigs to build nests, presumably after migrating north again in the wake of the season. It felt so fresh, so new. Intoxicated with new air, I had almost forgotten why I had stepped outside or the fact that absolutely none of this is making sense.

Now, where to Professor Juniper's laboratory? There I was, standing in front of my house, practically screwed. Ironically, nowhere to go. So, did the éPhone 4S come with Siri, the voice-recognition system that could take verbal commands? I pulled it out to try. I turned on the phone to preloaded software. On the touch screen was an array of apps. Holding the home button, I found that it wasn't called "Siri," instead it was called "Lapras Voice Control". Oh good, a first generation Pokémon I actually knew. That was convenient.

"Lapras, where is Professor Juniper's lab?"

A couple of clicks, and then a female voice saying, "Calculating location: displaying map of Nuvema Town."

Excellent, I thought. At least one thing was on my side. Words cannot explain how happy I am that smart phones exist in the Pokémon world. This'll keep me sane for now. It gave me a tangible reminder of my world. I really didn't know what to do, but the only thing I can do is move forward. I know I said I didn't like Pokémon anymore, but something was different now. Other than the fact that I'm actually experiencing it now... I don't know. Something was different.

And now, all I had to do was follow the directions. After all, there was one clear advantage of this world that mine didn't. I'm eleven again, there is no school, and therefore no college plans to deal with.

Last edited by Professor Geoffrey; 03-15-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:36 AM

Chapter Two - Professor Juniper, Part I

Quote:
So, let's recap. I think I can safely assume that I have woken up in another boy's body (who happens to have the same name as I do) in the world of Pokémon, and that these are real life events. This is definitely not a dream. My mother has a Gothorita, my (supposedly) older sister wants to become a Pokémon trainer, and my father is some kind of cowboy. I live someplace called Nuvema Town, and apparently I have been wanting to be a Pokémon trainer for a very long time. Apparently my favorite color scheme is black and electric blue, which actually isn't half bad. According to my mother, I really want an Oshawott, and she wants me to hurry up so I can be at Professor Juniper's lab and get one. And right now, I am on an éPhone 4S (which is apparently the Pokémon version of the iPhone 4S), using the Lapras Voice Control system (equivalent to Siri) to find my way to this laboratory. And I still do not understand how any of this makes any sense.

And viola. Here I am.

It looked serene. It was a building about the size of a small mansion with an orange rooftop and countless windows, a complex yet simple modern design that pushed outwards and made the entrance the smallest part. It reminded me of some sort of park in one of the older Pokémon games that was a perfect mix of nature and manmade pathways and small buildings. Completely covering it from behind was a forest landscape that faded into large hills, dotted with greenhouses and small towers with satellite dishes gathering data from the atmosphere. I was walking along a sidewalk that made me feel like I was going through a one-house neighborhood, since it really was the only building in its remote area, isolated from the rest of the town. It was actually just a little more than a mile away from my house, which must have made it extremely convenient for most other of the town's inhabitants. It was small and homey, just like Pallet Town and New Bark Town from the older Pokémon games...

Who am I kidding? I used to like Pokémon. Now it just feels like I'm having some sort of epiphany, or relapse. Some part of me thought that when in Rome, you do as the Romans do. When in the world of Pokémon, you like Pokémon. This was only temporary, right? But I could feel my inner Pokémon nerd, repressed for nearly a decade, slowly creeping out like a butterfly from a cocoon. Who knows what could happen while I wait for the answer.

No one was leaving or entering through the front glass doors. I guess this was my cue to move on ahead.

I approached curiously, and just as I was about to look for a doorbell or some sort of intercom, the doors slid open automatically. I jumped back a little bit in fright. only to realize that I had overreacted. Automatic doors aren't scary.

Once I composed myself, I made my way through the doors, opening up into a lobby area. I looked around: it looked kind of like a waiting area one would sit in while they waited for their doctor's appointment. It was very basic, with pictures of more Pokémon I've never seen before surrounding me. After a few moments, I heard a woman's voice - and even a girl's voice - grow a little louder with each passing second. Genna?

As they turned the corner of a hallway, I knew at that instant that neither the woman nor the girl was Genna. First, I saw a very professional-looking lady, despite trying to match a white blouse and a green skirt with red sneakers, in a white lab coat and her brown hair in a simple updo. She was most likely Professor Juniper. Next to her was a girl about my age, in a white dress with an orange halter top and matching orange stockings, who seemed to flaunt upper class status with a green designer purse with the handle slung over her shoulder and a matching beret. Once they saw me, their expressions changed from smiling and effervescent to breathless and astonished. The girl, especially, started biting her lip as her face got especially red with the passing seconds.

"Farren!" the girl said, slowly hastening her way to me due to her rather restrictive clothing, locking me in an embrace once she reached me.

Oh crap. She better not be my girlfriend.

"We were so worried about you. Cheren got here first and chose Snivy. Right before he left, Genna chose Tepig, and they had a Pokémon battle. And I just got here a few minutes ago, and there was only one Pokémon left... I'm so sorry."

Was it just me, or have I heard about this kind of situation before? I don't know what an Oshawott is, so I have no problem passing off on one. But that was the last Pokémon left? What now?

"Well, that might not necessarily be the case," said Professor Juniper, putting her hands in her lab coat pockets nervously. "I mean, yes, shame on you for not coming earlier. I really wish you had, I was looking forward to you becoming a trainer, Farren. When Oshawott was the only Pokémon left, it was very difficult for Bianca to take it..." So the girl's name was Bianca.

Bianca let go of me and stepped back a tad awkwardly, blushing a little. "Uh, yeah. I knew you wanted Oshawott, but I need a Pokémon, too..." Okay, perhaps not my girlfriend - thank God - but she definitely had feelings for me. This was a tad disconcerting.

The Professor continued. "But I knew I was going to have to disappoint someone this year. Three Pokémon, four eligible trainers in Nuvema Town. So I did place an order for any Eggs or newly hatched Pokémon to be sent over here."

I tried to look as if I were taking interest. "Oh? Uh, what options do I have?"

Professor Juniper shrugged. "That, I don't know. I can check the registry if you want, but it's very unlikely right now. I sent it out a week ago, which is my fault. Such requests aren't always fulfilled in a preferred amount of time due to the fact that its not a demand, and needs and local wants are always met before intraregional or interregional wants. When a town does not have a regional Professor - like Nuvema Town has me, for example - When a town does not have a regional Professor - like Nuvema Town has me, for example - the Pokémon Centers of these individual towns and cities hand out any donations they get."

"Can we check it?" I asked, curious.

She smirked briefly, making an about-face and motioning with a forward hand gesture for me to follow. "As you wish. Follow me."

"I'm coming too!" Bianca yelped, trying to catch up as she barely lifted her dress and hustled in our direction.

After a minute or two of going through a couple of hallways and up an elevator, we had finally made it to what felt like a main lab area meshed into an office and a balcony that overlooked the land behind the property. The area itself was somewhat homey and yet still very scientific with unorganized desktops and models of Pokémon placed in random places. An organized mess, as one might call it.

As Bianca slowed down, she started looking around inquisitively, looking at every detail of the room with great interest.

I looked at the Professor, who was ambling over to the computer. She was messing around for a couple of minutes as I too looked around. Not much else to say though: after all, some people look at there surroundings and overanalyze everything they see. They start playing with, for example, the Pokémon they see on posters on the walls of the room. But then, when someone moves unexpectedly or needs you, your daydreams end right then and there, as if impossible ideals that make way to unyielding truths.

"Found one!" exclaimed Professor Juniper, beaming up at and motioning for me to come towards her. "The donation is coming from Castelia City! Remarkable. It's a Pokémon I've never heard of before. It's called Zorua, and is actually part of the Unova Pokédex. I wonder if my father's heard of this Pokémon before?"

"What's a Zorua?" Bianca asked, her daydream coming to a close as she was making her way towards the computer.

Once I had laid eyes on the computer screen, I instantly recognized this Zorua. I had seen advertisements for some new movie with this particular Pokémon. It was a small fox-like Pokémon with purple fur and red accents on its head, eyelids and pointed feet, and had a darker purple mane around its neck.

I cocked my head in wonder for a while. "Zorua?"

"It's a Dark-type Pokémon!" Professor Juniper continued, with Bianca and I hovering on each side of her. "Fascinating. It can change its appearance at will, and is said to have the ability to create minor illusions! Apparently some girl turned it in as a lost Pokémon, but since there was no traceable connection to a Poké Ball, it was taken under the care of Lost Pokémon Rescue Foundation. It apparently had taken the form of a boy and started walking around stealing wallets and food from around Castelia. It doesn't say how they figured out it was really a Zorua, but it looks interesting."

I backed up as Professor Juniper turned around and looked at me. "Well?"

"What?" I asked. "Why are you staring like that?"

"Do you want the Pokémon?" Bianca asked, sticking her tongue out at me. "Silly! We're staring at you for our health. Why do you think?"

I looked closer at the screen. Still, none of this was making any sense, and here I was about to commit to a Pokémon, and probably a Pokémon journey. What was I thinking? Was there any sane rationale I could pull off right now? What could I say? What could I do? This is the real deal, as real as real gets. I was in the Pokémon world. What harm was there in pressing on? Nothing I could think of. What harm was there in stopping and asking about my problem? Perhaps everything. What if you were to stop and ask, "Hey, I'm not from this world, I'm from a world where there is no Pokémon, can you help me?" Same concept as asking for help getting pack to the world of Pokémon if you were to walk around New York City, methinks. I guess there was no harm in pressing on...

"I like the Pokémon?"

"Who wouldn't?" The Professor giggled. "It's very rare from what I can see. I'll reserve it. Why don't you two wait in the waiting room while I get this order finalized?"
Old 02-20-2012, 05:40 AM

Chapter Three - Professor Juniper, Part II

Quote:
Waiting in the lobby was kind of difficult. The pressures of this world were infectious: even I could feel the tension of getting my first-ever Pokémon. It was like getting my first Pokémon game. Oddly enough, I played Pokémon Yellow first, because my parents didn't trust me with a Game Boy Color until I was five, so I was in the exact same position the main character was. He only had one choice, Pikachu. I have only one choice, Zorua.

Bianca had decided to let out her Oshawott. It was an interesting little Pokémon: it was the water starter of this region, and was just a little otter like creature. It almost reminded me of a double scoop of ice cream, with stubs for arms and ears and a seashell on its stomach. This one seemed to love to dance, as did Bianca. Seeing them do stuff together, sometimes falling down together and laughing hysterically, was quite cute. I don't know what it was about me that would have been crushed to not have an Oshawott, because it looked like the two of them were made for each other. True, it looked pretty cool, but a Pokémon itself was a cool thing to have. Zorua didn't look like a bad alternative. In fact, I was quite anxious to see it.

"Do you think I should give Oshawott a nickname?" Bianca said, panting a little bit from all of the dancing. Oshawott continued to twirl, almost as if it would never run out of energy, like the Energizer bunny.

Good question. "Uh, I don't know. What would you name it?"

"I don't know," Bianca mused, crossing her arms in confusion. "Hey, Oshawott. Do you want a nickname?"

Oshawott stopped twirling immediately and frowned. It then began to shake its head vehemently and say its name repeatedly.

"I'll take that as a 'no,' I guess," Bianca said, laughing nervously. "Oshawott it is."

"Should I nickname Zorua?" I blurted aloud, not thinking.

It piqued Bianca's interest. "Well, it's your choice. But obviously as you can see, some Pokémon don't like to be nicknamed. They tend to just like their natural name. Some Pokémon start off hating their nickname, but they grow more accustomed to it over time because their trainer won't know them by any other name. But I think you should talk to it first."

I didn't like the whole concept of nicknaming, anyway. Most names I could possibly think of probably wouldn't be a good idea in the first place. Plus, Oshawott seemed perfectly content with its name. That probably meant Zorua would be fine with its name, too.

Suddenly, Oshawott's ears perked up, and it stopped twirling. After a moment or two, Bianca and I turned our heads when we started to hear Professor Juniper's footsteps gradually getting louder. I stood up, eager to hear the results. Bianca seemed a little restless too, as did Oshawott, as they seemed frozen in place. Our anxiety molded as one as the Professor turned the corner with a Poké Ball in one hand and something else in another. She had a smile on her face, but she was biting her lip a little.

"I made the call to the Pokémon Center over in Castelia City," she mused, raising the hand with the Poké Ball out in front of her, towards me. "The Nurse Joy there was especially nice about this particular favor. I often don't get that kind of courtesy. Often around this time of year, Pokémon Centers are fresh out of starters, and they get kind of aggravated when they have some in stock and the Unova League season begins." I made my way over to her to eagerly accept the Poké Ball, but she stepped back a bit and retracted her arm defensively.

"Well," she continued, "This Zorua is a bit of a problem Pokémon. It had caused a bit of chaos in Castelia City about a week ago, and the illusions it created were a little too intense for many of the citizens there. It loves to play pranks on people."

"What are you saying?" I asked, clenching my fists at my sides, slightly frustrated. "That I'm not prepared for this Pokémon or something?"

The Professor bobbed her head to and fro, looking around the lobby with a deflective mood. "Yes and no. I mean, the Gym Leader of the city had a very tough time catching Zorua, and he's a Bug-type trainer. They're strong against Dark-types, you know, and not to mention being very pesky creatures themselves. You could have a tough time if Zorua doesn't like you."

Without blinking an eye, I replied, "Well, isn't that true of any Pokémon? As long as I treat it with care, I don't think there should be any problem. I really want a Pokémon, Professor." Cool it down, Farren, I thought. Things still aren't making much sense. Don't be too outspoken.

The Professor nodded, as if reassured, and extended her arm again. "Well said. Here. Let's see Zorua!"

I took the Poké Ball from her hand gently, and played around with it in my fingers for a couple seconds. When I was ready, I executed my well-practiced Poké Ball throw, the one I had been set on doing since I was six years old that I had done whenever Ash Ketchum had turned his hat around and sent out one of his Pokémon. The ball flew through the air and landed on the ground, and a blast of white energy popped out as the ball opened. The energy began to take form as the ball rebounded into my hand, quickly dimming down and revealing Zorua.

Something was slightly different about this Zorua, though. Its coat was less of a purple and more of a grayish mauve, the red tuft of hair on its head, red eyelids and red feet were actually the same electric blue as the accent color of my clothing, and its unusual blue eyes were instead a bold red. Its gaze was penetrating and almost demeaning, but it still seemed friendly. After it looked around and took in its environment, it looked at Oshawott and playfully ran in circles around it. Oshawott, however, didn't know what to do; it just stood there just as dumbfounded as Professor Juniper, Bianca and I were. Was this the same Zorua as the picture?

"It's a shiny Zorua, isn't it?" Bianca asked, pointing at various features on its body. "When a Pokémon is shiny, it has a different color scheme than it normally does."

"You're right," Professor Juniper noted, crouching down to the floor to further look at the Zorua as it continued to run around Oshawott, as if it was begging the play. "This is a shiny Zorua. The picture we had seen on the screen was a standard Pokédex image, not this particular Zorua. Pokémon are typically born with a specific color pattern. Some of this is based on genetics; I have a friend from the Johto region who studies that. Some of that is based on environmental factors; I have a friend from the Orange Islands who is all over that topic. And some of it, we don't understand quite yet, like shiny Pokémon. Many researchers are still debating what it is that makes Pokémon shiny."

"Just one question," I piped up, crouching right next to the Professor. "Why is it called a 'shiny' Pokémon?"

The Professor pulled out a little bone-shaped treat out of her lab coat pocket and extended her hand, and Zorua instantly lost interest in Oshawott and sped towards the treat and began to nibble on it. "Good question, Farren. It's because if you look very closely, you will see that their coat sparkles a little. In strong sunlight this is very easy to see. Other than the alternative coloration and this sparkling quality to their skin or fur, there seems to be zero difference between a shiny Pokémon and a Pokémon that isn't shiny."

"Such a cute little thing!" Bianca said, gasping and a tad annoyed. "I want a shiny Pokémon. No fair!"

"And on top of all of that, shiny Pokémon are exceedingly rare. To find one like this is just an absolutely incredible find."

This Zorua was so much cooler than a standard, non-shiny Zorua. There was no beating this. The whole idea of shiny Pokémon was coming back to me: the red Gyarados from Gold, Silver and Crystal that you could catch in the Lake of Rage. An automatically guaranteed shiny Pokémon anyone could have. What an incredible, fortuitous beginning! A shiny Pokémon, first try. Just incredible!

Suddenly, the Zorua looked up at me as it finished devouring the snack in the Professor's hand. It cocked its head in curiosity, and I myself was enthralled in its gaze. It kept looking at me calmly, albeit with its sharp glance. But I looked back with the same intensity. It consumed with the ferocity of fire, as it proceeded not to blink, and I ensured unbroken eye contact.

Suddenly, Bianca stretched her hand out towards me, breaking my focus. "You know what? I want a Pokémon battle! Genna and Cheren had one. Why can't we? I think it would make a fantastic beginning to our journeys, don't you think?"

My heart almost skipped a beat. Pokémon battle?

"A splendid idea, Bianca!" lauded Professor Juniper, standing up with a smile. "Shall I explain the rules?"

I was freaking out. I really didn't think about all of this thoroughly. What was I to do? I'm not experienced enough for this!

So basically, as normal Pokémon battles go, we were on some sort of battlefield-type ground that was about 300 feet long and 100 feet wide. There were marked boundaries, with Bianca on one end and me on the other, and Professor Juniper in the middle past the boundary line. Oshawott was standing by her, ready to fight. Zorua, was standing by me, but was mellowed out and completely out of the moment. Zorua, like me, was completely out of it. Well, for all I know it could just be waiting for me to do or say something. I hope that was the case.

"This will be a single battle between Bianca, from Goldenrod City in Johto, and Farren, from Nuvema Town in Unova!" announced Professor Juniper, probably acting as referee. "Each trainer has one Pokémon to battle and agrees to battle in accordance with the guidelines set up by the International Pokémon Battling Agency! In short, trainers must have good sportsmanship and only fight until at least one of these Pokémon is deemed unable to battle!"

Tension rose as Oshawott took its stance in front of Bianca. She was clenching her fists and smiling mischievously, as if already strategizing her first move. I looked down at Zorua with worries. What if I wasn't good at this? What if I end up hurting Zorua?

Coincidentally, it looked up at me and winked.

Professor Juniper raised her hand and brought it down in a speedy, slicing motion. "Begin!"

"Ladies first!" exclaimed Bianca, pointing towards Zorua. "Oshawott, use Tackle!"

Oshawott lowered its head and began to charge, but Zorua made no effort to get ready to dodge. Instead, it acted coolly and took its stance directly in the path of Oshawott's attack.

"Zorua! What're you doing? Dodge it!"

In the closing moments of Oshawott's attack, as if waiting for the last second, Zorua jumped into the air and was engulfed in a white light, changing in shape and form. Oshawott realized this and halted attack to look at Zorua, only to back away in bitter fear.

When I could make sense of Zorua's new appearance, it was completely unrecognizable. It was now a large, blue Pokémon showing the likeness of a sea lion, with gigantic white whiskers and gold-colored armor on its legs, back and head. It still had piercing red eyes, but these were different in shape and hue. If I were to make a guess, it was probably an evolved form of Oshawott. Oshawott had continued to back away in fear, but Bianca showed zero disorientation.

"It's not really a Samurott!" she shouted, pointing at Zorua again. "It's an illusion! Look at its tail! Use Water Gun!"

I quickly glanced at the tail. It was - somehow - the fluffy mauve tail that it had in its normal form. Was this part of the act, or was this some sort of mishap?

Oshawott regained some of its courage and sprinted around Zorua. As Zorua tried to turn around, Oshawott unleashed a burst of water, hitting my Pokémon at the tail. In another flash of white light, Zorua spun around and giggled deviously, as if not at all disconcerted.

I needed to go on the offense, so I tried to think of some Dark-type moves. "Uh, Zorua, use... Faint Attack!"

Zorua took a stance and began to run, suddenly disappearing into a wave of darkness. Oshawott looked at its surroundings, absolutely horrified. Professor Juniper took note of this, looking around as well. Bianca still kept her cool.

"Quick! Turn around, it's right behind you!"

Suddenly, as Zorua reappared, it poked Oshawott's back. As it turned around, it was thrown backward by a whack against the head with one of Zorua's feet. Oshawott flipped and landed on the ground, taking minimal damage.

"Impressive battle, you two!" Professor Juniper said aloud, clapping. "Keep it up!"

"Zorua, use Faint Attack again!"

"Oshawott, dodge and use Razor Shell!"

My heart sank. What's Razor Shell?

Before Zorua could do anything, Oshawott took the shell off of its belly, which was already glowing with a blue aura. As Zorua was about to jump away, Oshawott slashed at it, sending Zorua rolling in the dirt towards me. It got up as quickly as it could, not doing so well to recuperate from the blow.

"Good job, Oshawott!" Bianca shouted, pointing once more forward. "Nice use of your scalchop. Fury Cutter!"

An itching feeling reverberated through my body, and I acted on impulse. "Zorua, dodge, and transform into Oshawott!"

Much to Oshawott's surprise as it tried to slash again with the shell, Zorua dodged gracefully as it leaped over the attack. In another flash of light, there were two Oshawott standing on the field.

"Now, Zorua, use your shell! Combine Faint Attack and Razor Shell!"

Zorua obligued. It took the "scalchop" off of its belly, and instead of a blue aura, it radiated with darkness. Like a boomerang, Zorua threw the shell, and as it disappeared into thin air, Oshawott attempted to jump to dodge it, not expecting it to vanish. When it reappeared, the shell struck from behind, bringing Oshawott to the ground. The shell returned to Zorua's stubby hand and was placed back on its belly.

Oshawott struggled to get up, and Zorua reverted back to its original form. Ultimately, however, Oshawott grunted and gave up, finally collapsing onto the ground.

"Oshawott is unable to battle! Farren of Nuvema Town wins!"

What the heck? I won?

Last edited by Professor Geoffrey; 02-20-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:03 PM

Holy crap. So, I see The Trials of an Ex-Pokémon Fan received some special attention yesterday! I am extremely impressed that I have a fan who is a Staff Member that actually wrote an article about this! My great thanks to you, Velocity!

So, in honor of Velocity, I banged this out rather quickly. It is a short chapter, but we're going to go ahead and delve into Bianca's psyche for a little. But we won't be back for a few chapters!

Chapter Four - Professor Juniper, Part III

Point of View: Bianca

Quote:
"Oshawott is unable to battle! Farren of Nuvema Town wins!"

What the heck? He won?

I rushed over to my Oshawott as quickly as I could, picking him up gently, being mindful of its scratches and scrapes. What was that? Some illusion-based Razor Shell Faint Attack combo? Was that even a legal move? Professor Juniper was walking over to him, grinning from ear to ear and with a round of applause, so I guess she had no problem with it. When did Farren become so competitive, or so creative?

I pulled out my Poké Ball. "Oshawott, return. You deserve a good rest." In an instant, it shot out a red beam towards Oshawott, transforming it into shapeless red energy only to be sucked into the ball. I tucked the Poké Ball into my purse, and walked up to Farren, who was jumping up and down, carrying Zorua in his arms in a celebratory manner.

Stretching out my arm with sportsmanlike conduct, I offered my hand. "Great battle, Farren. How did you get so good? I've never seen anything like that!"

He immediately put Zorua down to shake my hand, but hesitated to answer. After retracting his hand, he placed it on the back of his head. He was biting his lip, and seemed to be taking his time to think of a response. "I don't know. I guess something came over me."

I figured as much. But this wasn't like Farren, especially to be so hesitant. He was normally such a charming guy... I mean, he was always assertive, always ready for anything anyone could ever throw at him. What was this, a passive spell? And why wasn't he so depressed that he didn't get Oshawott? Don't get me wrong, I love the Pokémon I ended up with, but he once told me he would be devastated if he couldn't have the Pokémon he wanted. That conversation we had last night over the phone... did it not mean anything to him?

Professor Juniper suddenly turned to me, still beaming. "You and Oshawott performed commendably, Bianca! You should be very proud. When Farren's Zorua transformed into a Samurott, Oshawott was paralyzed with fear, probably because Samurott usually make all of the decisions in nomadic packs of Samurott, Dewott and Oshawott. You were able to get Oshawott to see the reality: from the little I have read about Zorua, their illusions are very convincing, so you must be an incredible trainer!"

I didn't know what to say! The Professor always had a few nice words to offer. Turning around a little, I blushed, clutching at my arm. I guess that much was true: I was unusually calm during the entire battle. Normally I was the passive one, always yielding to other people. Maybe getting my first Pokémon changed me a little. Perhaps that happens to a lot of people, not just Farren and I.

Suddenly, a beeping noise, and Professor Juniper jumped a little. "Oh, it's just my phone here... Ah, I see. Cheren and Genna had made their way home, and now that it's... oh my, it's three o' clock! Where did the time go? Well, because it's kind of late, they decided to put off their adventure another day. You two probably should, as well. Don't you think?"

I mulled it over, but Farren looked at me with an unsure glance, like as if my decision was to be his choice as well. "Well, on the downside, it puts off the adventure for another day. But on the upside, that means all four of us can walk through Route 1 together tomorrow morning!"

Farren seemed to like the idea. "That means we get another day to think about things. I mean, we get another day to just relax, perhaps hang out with our Pokémon?"

Don't get me wrong; I loved the idea, but it wasted a day we could be taking advantage of to go on. Why did Cheren and Genna even make that decision though? Weren't they just as eager as Farren and I were to get going? Were they just having a lazy day?

Professor Juniper noticed that I was reading into it a little more than I should have by just standing in silence. "Don't worry, Bianca! You'll get to go on tomorrow. I mean, it's your choice, but it looks like Farren, Cheren and Genna want to wait a day."

I guess there wasn't too much harm in that. But it was disappointing.

"I'll tell you what," proposed Professor Juniper. "Let's go inside, and I'll heal both of your Pokémon. By the time they're all fixed up, it'll probably be time for dinner with your families. Make sure to call your parents first."

The afternoon golden sun was beginning to make its way towards setting as the day winded on. I had finally made it back to my house, and here already it was half past six. Once the Professor had started to treat Oshawott, it wasn't long before it was wanting to play again. Zorua was really a cute little thing, but still rather naughty. It played more tricks on Oshawott with its illusions, turning into random Pokémon. Some of them I knew, some of them I didn't know. There were a couple that Professor Juniper couldn't recognize! Thankfully it didn't turn into Samurott again. I don't like seeing Oshawott that scared.

My cottage was a tad isolated from the rest of the town, just like Professor Juniper's lab. Except, Professor Juniper lived to the north, near Route 1, and I lived to the south, by the Unovian border. My house is by the edge of the Nuvema's most lavish neighborhood, Cliff's Point. Most of the inhabitants here either moved here from Undella Town or from somewhere else outside of Unova. In my case, I was born in Goldenrod City, Johto. I had moved here two years ago, and became best friends with Farren, Cheren and Genna. The lodgings here were a little over-the-top. Many of them had some of the same things: pools in their backyards, gazebos, electric fences, elaborate gardens. They almost reminded me of the villas we would see in the Resort Area in the Sinnoh region, whenever we would vacation there. Or rather, since I lived here, it was moreso the other way around.

As soon as I got to the front door, I got out my key and let myself in. The house was a temple of silence, as always. Mom and Grandma are usually the only one home, and Kiara - the maid - is often cleaning, usually twice a week. It was just a little seaside home with ocean wallpaper, decorated by water Pokémon, and a bunch of trophies Mom had won, from when she was Miss Johto five years in a row before marrying my Dad. Dad was a executive board member - now CFO - of éPhone industries, so he was always away from home.

"How could you do such a thing?" I heard someone upstairs say with a low, authoritative voice. "Our daughter, going out there in the real world? It's dangerous, Betty!"

Dad. He was home. I stood quietly, sighing.

An older, feminine voice spoke up: Grandma Bertha. "Now, now, Larry. Calm down. Back in the Sinnoh region when I was growing up, we -"

"But that was a long time ago!" bellowed my father. "Here in Unova the law used to be, as it should, only twelve-year-olds can have Pokémon trainer licenses. Bianca is eleven years old. My daughter is too young, too naive!"

"Your daughter, Lawrence?" I heard my mom shriek defensively. "Your daughter? What happened to our decision? You've left me out of every decision! How dare you take possession of something you rarely see! You're too restrictive! You're rarely home, never doing anything to see Bianca, never making the effort to show you care!"

"I'm the one that pays the bills! I said you could stay at home, that you didn't have to work, that you could stay at home to care for her, not raise her entirely how you see fit! I have a say in what my daughter does, too!"

"Enough, you two!" cried Grandma Bertha, so hysterical that it left my insides cold. "Bianca will be home any minute! Do you think that she wants to hear you two fight? She's not going to -"

Before I could hear anything else, I turned around. I went out the front door, going back the way I came. North. Towards Route 1.

I ran. I didn't look back.

Last edited by Professor Geoffrey; 03-15-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:57 AM

Did you think I disappeared? Naaawwww. I'm a tad discouraged from having no comments, but that's okay. I'm glad to see the "Views" number keep going up, though.

Chapter Five - Home

Quote:
When I eventually came home after a long afternoon of playtime with Professor Juniper and Bianca, the sun was getting ready to set over Nuvema Town and Zorua was getting very tired. It was already beginning to lose its sparkle and creativity. I too felt like I needed some kind of rest; it was a long day. When I had left, Professor Juniper, Bianca and I had all agreed to meet tomorrow morning at city limits where Route 1 began. The Professor had even called Cheren and Genna, and they agreed to the same terms. Bianca had wanted all four of us to step into Route 1 together. Cheren was a tad reluctant, Genna had complained about its cheesiness, but I didn't see any problems with it. Cheren seemed like a nice guy for the most part over the phone. Genna, on the other hand, sounded like one of those prima donna older sisters who wanted everything her way. Too bad there isn't a Burger King in Unova.

"Hey, darling!" Mom had greeted me with a smile and a certain amount of anxiety. She hurried towards me with a skip and a step and a gleam in her eyes, her hands as if tied behind her back.

"Hey, Mom!" I said, returning her enthusiasm. Zorua, still out of its Poké Ball, examined the house cautiously. It made me worry just a tad. If it truly was a troublemaker like Professor Juniper said it was, was it a good idea to let it roam free through this house? Zorua seemed to be behaving and all, so I guess for now it was okay.

She bent down to look at my new Pokémon with her head tilted. "What is this Pokémon? I've never seen this before."

"Zor?" Zorua mumbled, shooting a curious glance at Mom. It held this expression for a few moments, and Mom, almost as if in a trance, did the same. Once they broke eye contact, Zorua went on into the family room. Mom shook her head and cleared her throat, blinking her eyes as if to regain concentration.

"Interesting Pokémon you have there, Farren," Mom said, back to normal.

What just happened?

"Hey, Mom!" Genna called to Mom, standing up, revealing that she had been sitting down out of sight in the family room, where Zorua was now. "Can you tell Farren to get his Zorua out of my business? Tepig doesn't appreciate it."

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Mom rolled her eyes. "Siblings. You two will never get along, will you?"

Zorua sped back to my side as Genna walked with a tiny little orange and brown pig Pokémon always behind her. It seemed very timid, and very cute. Quite personally, I think I would have chosen Tepig instead of Oshawott. Perhaps its because I prefer Fire types. When Zorua examined it, Tepig cowered.

Genna was noticeably a couple of inches, at the very least, taller than me. Her outrageously long brown hair was very wavy and very classy, a style that suggested she was of much higher social and monetary class than she actually was. Her trashy short shorts, ragged Poké Ball tank top and hiking boots clashed with her hair and suggested otherwise.

"So, you got... a Zorua, is it?"

Zorua raised its chin arrogantly.

"Yeah, I did," I replied curtly.

Genna narrowed her eyes and bobbed her head to and fro. "Well then. We might have to have a little brother-sister Pokémon battle, won't we?"

Wow. What a drama queen.

"Not tonight, if you don't mind," I said, playing on her dramatic facade. "I think Zorua has had enough excitement for today. Perhaps tomorrow. What do you think, Zorua?"

In an instant, Zorua turned its head and shot me a cold glance with its bright blue eyes. So cold, I almost froze to death.

"Hmm. It doesn't seem like your Zorua agrees with you."

Tepig turned around and ran back into the family room.

I grinned. "It doesn't look like your Tepig agrees with you, either."

Mom sighed, her hands on her hips. "I think that's enough, you two."

Genna looked back at her Tepig in disgust, and then back at me. "Go to your room, dweeb."

I rolled my eyes. I always remember being told as I grew up to "be the bigger man". My silence does all the talking. It helped that Mom turned to me as Genna walked back into the family room and smiled and winked.

"I'm going to make dinner now," Mom announced, turning around and heading back into the kitchen. "I'll make something super special since its your last night... again. I thought last night was. But by God, you're leaving tomorrow!"

I kind of laughed. For some reason, I remembered my real Mom saying stuff like that back in my world... Stuff like that made me a tad homesick. I remember so much, and here I was being caught up in the Pokémon world, too busy to remember.

When I looked back down, I had realized Zorua hadn't yet shifted its attention from me. But when it had finally broken the glance, it might have well frozen me to death.

When Mom called us all down for dinner, she had gotten out an extra two bowls of Pokémon food out so Gothorita could eat with Tepig and Zorua. They seemed to love whatever she had set out for them. I don't know why, but for some reason, Pokémon food looks like kibble and they were scarfing it down like there was no tomorrow. I once had a dog, and the only time he ever looked forward to kibble was whenever I fed him after forgetting to do so for a day or two.

Mom had prepared an interesting array of foods. She apparently had a homemade recipe for Unovian pizza with spices produced by a Pokémon called "Simisage" and mushrooms that came from a "Foongus", which tasted amazing and unlike any other pizza I've ever had. On the side was something called Poffin, something Mom said her sister (our "Auntie Gardenia") taught her to make when she visited from the Sinnoh region a few years ago. We had Moomoo Milk, freshly imported from Johto, to drink, which was the only thing on the table that I remembered from any of the games.

The conversation was rather dynamic. It was like Genna had flipped her witch-switch and had decided not to act so irritated when she was explaining her battle with Cheren.

"It was so intense!" she tried to describe. "It lasted a pretty long time. Both his Snivy and my Tepig were totally worn out, dodging and attacking each other's moves. Professor Juniper had to call it a tie after a while because they were getting so tired for their first Pokémon battle."

"Wow!" Mom laughed after she had finished chewing a piece of her pizza. I think I had detected a little bit of over-enthusiasm. "What moves does your Tepig know?"

"Body Slam, Ember and Tail Whip," Genna replied, finally calming down. "It might know one other move, but I never got to see it."

"You'll figure it out soon enough. You have a long journey ahead of you two, starting tomorrow. Now Farren, how did your Pokémon battle with Bianca go?"

Genna instantly began to pout like a spoiled princess as I calmly sat up in my chair, my back a little straighter as I put down my glass of Moomoo Milk. "It was rather interesting, to say the least. Zorua did phenomenally."

"Haha!" Genna squawked, stuffing a large chunk of Poffin in her mouth. "I bet she won. You were probably too crushed you didn't get your Oshawott and that your girlfriend got it instead."

"Genna, hush up!" called out Mom with a harsh voice, frowning in displeasure. "That's not nice."

I think I was blushing, because I was definitely angry, but not a hundred percent angry. I felt some sort of fluttery feeling in my stomach... Mom winked at me all of a sudden with a smile. I wanted to shout her name in genuine frustration, but I didn't. Instead, I exhaled noisily.

"Uh, anyway," I continued, trying to compose myself. "No, I won. I like Zorua. We're a perfect team. Its ability to create illusions at will is so cool, and it just seems like possibilities with that Pokémon are endless. I don't know all it can do, and that's really cool."

"Wait, what happened?" asked Mom. "It can create illusions? How so?"

I looked over at Zorua real quick. It was still downing all of its food as if it weren't paying attention to our conversation, so I guess it didn't want to give a free demonstration.

"Well, it just looks and Pokémon and takes their form. It can't use any of their attacks, but it just takes their form. But for some reason, for example, I was able to get Zorua to transform into Oshawott and do an attack similar to one it used. It was pretty cool, and I thought of it on the spot."

"Beginner's luck," jabbed Genna.

Mom ignored her. "On any note, it must have been fabulous. I'll talk with Professor Juniper tomorrow after you guys leave to get the full details. I'm going to go on and head up to bed. Don't stay up too late, now. Genna, do the dishes. Farren, if you can, could you take out the trash?"

Genna and I nodded simultaneously.

Mom wiped her mouth with a napkin and got out of her chair quietly. "Come on, Gothorita. Time for bed!" Gothorita had just finished eating anyway, so it happily skipped up the stairs with Mom.

Tepig kept going at it, but Zorua took notice and stopped eating. Zorua did some sort of kneel or curtsey in goodnight, and faced back to me with a warm expression on its face.

Later that night, I was back in my - dare I say it - Pokémon pajamas. It was a long day, so I figured it was only just. Plus it seemed to add to the comfort, somehow; they were somehow more comfortable than any night clothes I've ever worn. Zorua was lying on edge of my bed, about a few inches from where my feet were under the covers. It was almost asleep, and I was staring out my window.

I was still kind of anxious about all of this. This was the end of my first day in the Pokémon world. I guess this definitely was not just some long dream. Hopefully I wasn't in a coma or something. Oddly enough, I don't know if I wanted this to be real or not. Of course there was nothing better than being in the Pokémon world. But in some cases, there was nothing worse, so it seemed.

"Zorua," I called out randomly.

Its ears instantly perked up.

"Sorry if I woke you up," I muttered lightly, nervous. "I just feel like I have no one to talk to. Er, at least, I had no one to talk to before I got you. And I don't know if it seems logical or not, but..."

I was silent for a while. Should I even be asking this question to a Pokémon? None of this makes sense. I swallowed my pride and continued.

"But... could I have come from another world? Could I have come from a world that only had humans, and didn't have any Pokémon?"

Zorua glared at me again, but it wasn't warm nor cold. It wasn't curious. I didn't know what it was. It was too dark to tell. It lowered its head slowly after a minute or two, and I sighed.

"I guess not," I said, rolling my eyes. "Good night."

Last edited by Professor Geoffrey; 03-13-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:56 AM

Chapter Six - Route 1

Quote:
It was morning, and here I was at the scheduled time, bright and early in front of Route 1 with Cheren, Genna and Professor Juniper. Even though Bianca was usually incredibly late, she was already behind by an entire hour and a half. Though Genna was getting especially restless and Cheren was getting mildly irritated, Professor Juniper and I remained patient yet doubtful of her attendance at all.

Cheren was an interesting guy. He had a similar style to me, with plain black skinny jeans, and he seemed to love electric blue as much as I did. But there were various exceptions: he had electric blue loafers and a blue no-zip lightweight jacket, a white t-shirt with red stripes underneath, and framless glasses on his face. He had jet black, slightly spiky hair, and he always seemed to hold himself with a negative or skeptical stature. He seemed to be along the same wavelengths as Genna, only not so extreme. Cheren was much cooler and much more laid back, and certainly much more personable. But he seemed almost as condescending as Genna was, and he certainly was egotistical.

Zorua, however, preferred to be out of its ball, and seemed to be loving prancing about and having its own free time. I suppose this gave it some time to breathe.

"Darn it, Bianca," Cheren growled, tapping his foot on the pavement laid on the ground of city limits. "She's so incredibly late. What the heck is going on?"

I shrugged. "She insisted that we all take our first step through Route 1 together. I can't imagine her not wanting to be here right now."

It did seem quite unlike her. She had even beat me to getting Oshawott yesterday. Being this late without notice just did not seem like her.

"Such a stupid idea," Genna complained, spitting on the ground at her feet. "Makes such a fuss about us all doing some liberal crap and then doesn't show up. She's probably too busy collecting seashells or hugging trees."

I gritted my teeth but I didn't say anything. Thankfully I didn't have to.

"Now Genna," Professor Juniper chided, crossing her arms. "That's not fair to your friend. You're all in this together, remember that. The four of you are all representing Nuvema Town in the Unova League."

Genna folded her arms as well and grunted.

Suddenly, a phone started to ring. Professor Juniper made a start, and then dug through her lab coat pockets for her éPhone. When she found it, she accepted the phone call and brought the phone to her ear.

"Mr. Schroeder? Oh... yes. Uh-huh. Yes, I saw her yesterday. Oh? Really? No, I haven't... really? I'm sorry to... I see. Understood. I'll keep an eye out for her. Alrighty."

She hung up.

"That was Bianca's father, right?" Cheren asked.

That caught my attention.

Professor Juniper scrunched up her face. "Uh, yeah. She did not go home last night or something."

My eyes opened that wide. Zorua's ears perked up as it jumped back towards my side.

Cheren's head tilted to the side as he clutched his chin with intrigue. "Odd. Why would she do that?"

Genna grinned. "She probably got -"

But I interrupted her. "Shut up! Stop talking smack about Bianca! That isn't right!"

She rolled her eyes. Professor Juniper and Cheren cleared their throats.

"Anyway, he's wondering where she went," the Professor continued, "He wants to know if she left of her own free will, was she tricked or kidnapped, what happened and fast. Apparently he didn't want her to have her own journey as Pokémon Trainer."

Cheren nodded understandingly. "That makes sense. Bianca and Farren are eleven years old. Genna and I are twelve. A few months ago, the Unova League Pokémon Battling Agency passed an act repealing the twelve-year-old rule and replaced it with a ten-year-old rule. With terrain becoming easier to travel and with more cities and towns with more rest stops, it's getting easier for Unova to go closer towards the ideal International Pokémon Battling Association rules, guidelines and suggestions. Unova itself voted on what was a proper age, and they found ten to be acceptable. Mr. Schroeder probably disagrees with this action."

"Exactly the point," Professor Juniper said, nodding. "And that is exactly why he is looking for her. Apparently, she doesn't have her éPhone. I don't mean to say it's fortuitous that she left it behind, but she's a smart girl. She knows he can track her with it."

"So does that mean we can just go on ahead?" Genna asked impatiently, exhaling with a massive breath. "I want to get this show on the road."

Professor Juniper shook her head with disdain. "Of course, Genna. Let's go. I have to teach you all how to catch a Pokémon." Without further delay, she pulled out a bunch of little Poké Balls out of her pockets. Though she had a little difficult, she made sure all three of us had five each. She led us forward through the entrance of Route 1 slowly, as if Pomp and Circumstance were being played in the background. The pace was teeming with life: several bird Pokémon, which I deduced at this point were Pidove. I could see some Patrat hiding in bushes, some poking their heads out at random times as per their sentry duty. Zorua seemed to be having a fun time looking around.

After a while, we finally approached but began to walk around taller grasses that easily went up to my knees, to which Professor Juniper had to comment on. "See all of that tall grass, you three? Pokémon love to hide in habitats like this. Beware, and be careful of it. Though you can technically find a Pokémon out here in the open, it is more likely to find more Pokémon there in the grasses. This is helpful when you are training or when you want to catch a Pokémon, but if your Pokémon is weak, stay away from it as much as you possibly can."

With that caveat, we pressed on ahead. It seemed as if Professor Juniper was rather choosy of where to exhibit her skills. She had her hands in her lab coat pockets in a rather laid back manner, but the way she looked in certain directions looked rather antsy. Cheren was especially patient, looking around as if mentally taking notes, as if he were to write a ten-page single-spaced dissertation all about Route 1. Genna was hardly showed any emotion, but I could tell she was bored, kicking around rocks whenever they got in the way. Zorua was still having a blast, just absorbing the environment.

"And... here!" Professor Juniper proclaimed, looking an isolated array of grasses almost completely surrounded by trees. "This is a good spot. Look there!"

When she stretched out her hand, she lowered her voice, her finger pointed towards a patch of grass that was shaking. Suddenly, she stormed on ahead and pressed one hand back behind her as if signaling for us to wait, and one hand digging into her pocket to grab a Poké Ball and throw it in front of her.

A gray mouse Pokémon had appeared, with large rounded ears and a white tail. I could really only see it from behind, but it looked much more experienced than my Zorua.

"Minccino! Use your Swift attack!" Professor Juniper commanded in the heat of the moment.

Minccino responded by jumping and twirling in midair, and after making one full 360-degree rotation it opened its mouth and let loose little sparks of light, each in the shape of stars. The Pokémon it had hit revealed itself, poking its head above the grass. It was pink with an offwhite face and underbelly, with large angel-wing shaped ears and bright blue eyes.

I looked down at Zorua for a moment. Its focus was unbreakable, as if it were carefully taking in every little detail. It almost seemed as if it wanted to jump in on the action.

"Minccino, it's an Audino!" explained Professor Juniper aloud. "Quick, before it does anything; Slam!"

Minccino instantly started to rush towards Audino, but when Minccino jumped in midair and readied its tail, Audino balled its fist. It began to glow green, and when it collided with Minccino's tail, it knocked both of them backwards simultaneously.

Zorua flinched, almost as if feeling Minccino's pain.

"You're doing great, Minccino! Use Attract!"

After Minccino got up, it began to giggle. Audino struggled to support itself, but it wouldn't give up without a fight. Minccino suddenly started staring at Audino without moving, and though it seemed like nothing was happening, Audino lost control of its limbs and did not move a muscle. What kind of move was this?

Taking advantage of the moment, Professor Juniper quickly dove into her lab coat pocket and pulled out an unused Poké Ball and gracefully threw it towards Audino. The ball absorbed Audino, similar to whenever I would call Zorua back into its ball. And classically, like whenever I would catch a Pokémon in a video game, the ball shook three times, followed by inactivity. The Pokémon was caught.

The Professor retrieved the ball and pet her Minccino. "Good job, partner! You were amazing! Return!" After Minccino returned back into its ball, the Professor put both Poké Balls into her pocket and turned towards us with a smile. "And that's how you catch a Pokémon!"

Cheren actually clapped. "Classic. Weaken the Pokémon, inflict a status problem on it if you can, throw a Poké Ball. Well done."

I could have told you that.

Professor Juniper didn't know what to say, she was definitely disoriented. "Well, thank you. People do this every day around the world. There's not too much technique to it. It is not super easy, but it is easier if you know what you are doing. But one does not simply catch an Audino. The catch rate for that Pokémon is incredibly low. Do not be disappointed if you cannot catch an Audino that easily. I probably should have weakened it a little more, I suppose."

Genna shrugged and crossed her arms. "We've already seen people catch Pokémon on TV all the time. I could have done that."

Cheren shot her a cold glance. "Hey, be a little more respectful." His influence was much more powerful than mine was. If looks could kill, Cheren just threw Genna to the bottom of the deepest ocean. Genna responded by rolling her eyes.

"Well, if you think it's that easy," Professor Juniper said with a clever smirk crawling onto her face, "Then prove it. Let's have a Pokémon catching contest. I'll be the judge. The one who catches the most Pokémon only with the Poké Balls I gave you wins. In the case of a tie, I'll either chose the winner by Pokémon diversity or a Pokémon battle, whichever is easier."

Thanks Genna.

"I accept your challenge!" Genna said confidently. She threw her Poké Ball into the air, releasing her Tepig. "Come on, Tepig, let's go!"

In what seemed like a flash, Tepig and Genna ran off as quickly as they could, leaving Professor Juniper, Cheren and I in the dust.

"Well, I think I have to participate now," Cheren chuckled to himself, letting out his Pokémon. When he had thrown his Poké Balll, a green Pokémon as tall as Zorua, Oshawott and Tepig had appeared. It was like a tiny little snake with stubby arms and legs and bold red eyes with a leafy tail. It was calm, cool and collected, just like Cheren. Very appropriate for him.

I turned to Zorua. "Are you ready, partner?"

Zorua winked back with a smile.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:01 AM

Chapter Seven - A Peculiar Trainer

Point of View: Cheren

Quote:
Route 1 was quite an extensive and elaborate habitat for younger Pokémon. It was almost like a nursery forest, making it incredibly simple and easy for weaker Pokémon to hide from predators and trainers. It was not so complex that someone could not navigate through it. It was incredibly easy, but I could see why an amateur trainer like myself could get lost here. There were several winding roads that I figured eventually all led towards Accumula Town, the next town on the map, where Professor Juniper had texted Genna, Farren and I where to meet at around 3:00 PM.

But there was one tiny little winding road that took a hold of my curiosity. It took a hold of Snivy's curiosity, as well. After we had roamed this little road, I had already caught a Pidove and a Patrat, simple and easy. It was now 11:39 AM, so I had plenty of time left and I was already far ahead of the game with a lot of time to spare. But there was a salty scent to the air, which made the route actually smell somewhat like the southern borders of Nuvema Town, where the town met the sea. I just found it incredibly peculiar to find a body of water in this route. If I were to find a Pokémon in the water, I could easily expand the type diversity of my team.

Snivy tilted its head in curiosity, like it did right before my confrontations with Pidove and Patrat. I readied my stance, but when I heard human voices, I relaxed.

Coming out behind an array of trees were two young men, on with a white outfit and a black hat, an ornament sitting on top of really long, unkempt lime green hair. He had a blank stare, and he was being followed anxiously by what looked like a man with black hair and glasses in a lab coat.

"N, I do beg you, please accept my experiment!" the scientist pleaded, carefully trying to pull the man with green hair back by the shoulder or by the arm. "Please! Please!"

"I am really sorry, sir," the man named N said mellowly with a blank stare. "But I cannot accept your research. Bringing back a Pokémon from ancient times is completely unnatural by itself. On top of that, you had the gall to corrupt it with technology. Poor creature. I wish it all of the best in its new life, but I do not think advocating this kind of technology would be a good image."

"But sir! Sir!"

I pretended not to notice, looking around my surroundings and trying to go about my business, but the man named N had finally passed by and was now standing in front of me. It was kind of sketch I will admit, especially since he was practically staring at me like I was his primary focus, the only reason he walked away from the scientist. The other man, however, just looked at him with an eccentric expression, as if he didn't know what to say, either, and that this moment was just as random for him as it was for me.

"Umm, sir?" I asked, trying to slip by. The man named N held out a hand and placed it on my shoulder. Stranger danger, stranger danger!

"You are an interesting fellow," N said with an empty stare, as if focusing on nothing, right before looking down at my Snivy. "An interesting fellow with an interesting Pokémon. Snivy. Pretty rare. Tell me, young man, do you like imprisoning your Pokémon in Poké Balls?" I sure hoped that wasn't a metaphor; this man was especially creepy. Now I understood why some people were hesitant about lowering the require age for Pokémon Trainer Licenses from twelve to ten.

"Uh, I guess I've never thought of it that way," I replied, trying not to show any weakness or any signs of being phased by his rather eccentric demeanor. The scientist remained quiet yet not tranquil.

N chuckled, dropped his hand to his side and took a step back, all to my relief. "I'm sure you find my behavior quite peculiar, which I understand very well. I was raised alongside Pokémon that were abused by their former trainers."

He paused, and pulled out a Poké Ball.

"Although I may be against Pokémon imprisonment," N mused, throwing his Poké Ball into the air to reveal a small cat-like Pokémon, "You may think I am a bit of a hypocrite to have Pokémon myself, right?"

The Pokémon, which I identified to be a Purrloin, glared at me mischievously, licking its purple fur slowly. At my feet, Snivy grew tense and frustrated. It was almost growling. I kept in mind that sometimes Pokémon can sense things humans cannot. Most of the times, they're able to sense things beyond human capabilities.

"I've never believed that catching and having Pokémon by your side was a form of imprisonment," I said, taking a similar stance to my Snivy. My partner looked back at me and nodded.

N tilted his head and pursed his lips, his first show of any kind of emotion. "Oh, you think I wish to battle you? That is far from the truth, but if that's what you want, I suppose I cannot refuse... Dudley, would you care to be referee?"

The scientist jumped, definitely disturbed by whatever was going on between N and him. "Uh, sure, N."

N smiled, and Snivy and I backed up a little. N and his Purrloin did the same, and although we were kind of eyeballing the size of the location, I don't think there was any violation of Pokémon Battling Agency codes.

N looked back at me once he took his stance and had his hands calmly placed at his sides. The way he carried himself, the way he acted, it all seemed to be going to my head.

"I never got your name, young man," N called out, as his Purrloin skipped ahead and took its position.

I hesitated. "The name is Cheren. From Nuvema Town. Is this a one-on-one Pokémon battle?"

N nodded. "One Pokémon will suffice. My Purrloin versus your Snivy."

"Best man wins," I said, nodding, fixing my glasses.

N shook his head and turned his entire expressionless act around. "No, Cheren. Best Pokémon wins."

"Uh, both trainers will only have one Pokémon to battle with," Dudley announced, taking his place on the side in the middle of the field. "It will be N from Anville Town with his Purrloin and Cheren from Nuvema Town with his Snivy. Begin!"

And the battle began. "Snivy, Leer!"

N chuckled. "Purrloin, Fake Out!"

Snivy held its ground and began to execute a glare, but just as it was beginning to take effect, Purrloin had already ran halfway through the field and had made a leap. Right before landing in front of Snivy, it clapped right up in its face, pushing my Pokémon back. It flinched, leaving Purrloin to playfully prance back towards N.

I clenched my teeth together with agitation. "Snivy, let's follow up with Leaf Blade!"

Snivy ran up to Purrloin with sheer focus and lifted its tail, which was turning green as it approached its carefree opponent.

"Purrloin, dodge and use Sand Attack!"

At the last possible moment, causing me to want to punch myself in the stomach, Purrloin dodged Snivy's tail and started kicking up the grass, which was followed by mass amounts of dirt. This caused a massive sand cloud in which I could not see, and supposedly no one else could, either.

A few tense moments, and then the sound of a clash reverberated through the forest. The dust dissipated, and Snivy's tail was resting on top of Purrloin's torso. It lifted its tail proudly, and Purrloin struggled to get up.

Snivy bounced back and swung its tail a few more times, sending Purrloin flying through the air.

"Purrloin, please use Shadow Ball!" N politely cried out, pointing at my Snivy.

Recovering in midair, Purrloin did a few graceful flips and just as it started to fall from gravity, it started to generate a large amount of purple energy it almost immediately sent forth in the shape of a sphere.

"Snivy, dodge it!"

Snivy did its best, but it couldn't dodge an attack so great of size so quickly. It hit almost dead on, blowing Snivy backwards towards me and sliding on the grass.

As Purrloin elegantly landed on the ground with poise, Snivy got up with little difficulty and began to glow green. The leaves on its tail grew a little bigger, and its back stood a little straighter.

"Great job, Snivy!" I called out, pointing towards N's Purrloin. "Great use of your ability Overgrow! Now all Grass-type moves are more powerful!"

N showed little anxiety. "Purrloin, Shadow Ball again!"

As Purrloin leaped through the air and began the same process all over again, Snivy jumped and purposefully landed on its head and began to spin as if breakdancing, and which surrounded him with a whirlwind of grass and leaves from nearby trees. This was so powerful that even Purrloin was sucked into the attack, knocking all of the concentration out of it and making it submit to the force of the wind.

It was a Leaf Tornado.

In snap decision, Snivy stopped spinning on its head and bent the tornado to slam to the ground, causing the blades of grass and the leaves that were caught up with the force of the attack to scatter in random directions and Purrloin to be slammed to the ground.

Purrloin lifted a paw, but after a few moments' struggle, it gave up. It could not pull itself up.

Dudley hesitated, but eventually announced the results. "Uh, N's Purrloin is unable to battle! Cheren's Snivy is the winner!"

Snivy held its head up proudly as the leaves on its tail shrunk back to normal size and as all of the debris finally settled to the ground. N humbly lifted up his Poké Ball in front of him and called back Purrloin, which went into its ball instantly.

"Purrloin, kind friend, you did well. Rest."

I looked to Snivy, beaming back at me with jubilation. "Good job, Snivy! You did amazing! Who knew you had all of that in you?"

Snivy diverted its gaze to N, who quickly approached me with a note of displeasure. I could sense he wasn't being a poor sport, but something had definitely grinded his gears.

"Pokémon are much more powerful and much more what they seem to you, Cheren," N chided, shaking his head with a frown. "I commend you for your victory. I see you have a pretty strong bond with your Snivy so early in your Pokémon career. I can tell you're a beginner; I see how others work with their Pokémon, and I see quite a bit of knowledge for being such an amateur."

I tried not to scowl, but this was obviously not okay. What was his point?

"N, sir," Dudley spoke up, but in vain.

"Quiet," N barked back, almost in a hiss, then turning back to me calm and collected once more. "Now then. I hope you realize that your Pokémon likes you. I can see that much in its eyes and in its heart. But will you always be there for your Pokémon? Will you always be there to defend its rights?"

I sighed, and shook my head, then looking at Snivy with a bleak smile. "I don't think you understand. I love Pokémon, but I don't think using Poké Balls imprisons them. Look, I understand that you've been with Pokémon that have been abused, and though I've never seen it, I know it happens. Villainous teams like Team Rocket in the Kanto region ten years ago have tried to extort Pokémon for their own personal gain. But you just can't go into peoples' lives demanding that they don't do that to their Pokémon. The Pokémon themselves disagree, too. They want the right to be with the trainers they love. Isn't that right, Snivy?"

Snivy nodded joyfully, with incredibly enthusiasm. "Sni! Snivy!"

N smiled with a gleam in his eyes, looking about the forest in mystery. "Well said, I think. But I think we can just agree to disagree for now."

"Fair enough, I suppose," I replied, holding out my hand for him to shake.

He didn't return it, and turned around. "I'll see you later. Dudley, just go back to your lab. Don't free the experiment. It's too dangerous... but you can't undo this. So keep it safe, won't you?"

Dudley tried to respond, but it just ended in grunting and disappointed expressions.

As N started to walk out of sight, he waved goodbye.

I turned to Snivy, and nodded.

As if nothing had ever happened, I walked away from Dudley and went on about my conquest through Route 1.

Whoever this N guy was, I had the most strange feeling that I would run into him again.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Latio-Nytro Offline

I've been keeping an eye on this. I like it...I'm curious what's going on with Farren. Keep up the good work.

Houndour@4051: Hatch@4066, Houndoom@4123, Level100@4351.

The Nonexistant White Nuzlocke! BEHOLD IT AND DESPAIR!

FEAR THE MOODY BIDOOF!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

I've just got to say--I've been thoroughly enjoying this story~! :D I think it's a very fresh take on the typical "Journey" genre fan-fic, and it's executed very well. Farren's a fascinating character--I like reading through his perspective--the perspective of someone from "our world". A lot of his little mental quips are really quite humorous ("Too bad there isn't a Burger King in Unova." xD). Personally, I can't wait to read more about his adventures :D

The way you set up the other characters is interesting as well. After Farren, Bianca would be my next favorite character. I think you portrayed her excellently, and I like how you expanded her back story with her family. Poor Bianca, though D: She ran away from home... Goll, I hope we hear from her soon as well.

And now I'm curious. Can we expect a certain, misunderstood giant genetic insect to play a role in this story? Hmmmmmmm? :)

On a side note... I remember reading one of your fan-fics a while back that was like this one---"Frozen World", right? Is this kind of a rehash of it? If so, I like the new direction you took with this. :D The characters are much more interesting, and I'm looking forward to more! :D

Old 03-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latio-Reol View Post
I've been keeping an eye on this. I like it...I'm curious what's going on with Farren. Keep up the good work.
Thanks! I won't let you down! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmander009 View Post
I've just got to say--I've been thoroughly enjoying this story~! :D I think it's a very fresh take on the typical "Journey" genre fan-fic, and it's executed very well. Farren's a fascinating character--I like reading through his perspective--the perspective of someone from "our world". A lot of his little mental quips are really quite humorous ("Too bad there isn't a Burger King in Unova." xD). Personally, I can't wait to read more about his adventures :D

The way you set up the other characters is interesting as well. After Farren, Bianca would be my next favorite character. I think you portrayed her excellently, and I like how you expanded her back story with her family. Poor Bianca, though D: She ran away from home... Goll, I hope we hear from her soon as well.

And now I'm curious. Can we expect a certain, misunderstood giant genetic insect to play a role in this story? Hmmmmmmm? :)

On a side note... I remember reading one of your fan-fics a while back that was like this one---"Frozen World", right? Is this kind of a rehash of it? If so, I like the new direction you took with this. :D The characters are much more interesting, and I'm looking forward to more! :D
Aww! Thank you! :3 I quite like Farren myself. He's an experimental character. Just wait until I start doing story arc summaries every ten or so chapters. The funny will really begin there!

I'm going to have a lot of fun with Bianca. Cheren is going to be a bit of a challenge... I'm going to also, hopefully, write from the point of view of one other character somewhat soon, and that'll be the biggest challenge of all. Hint, it won't be Genna... And we'll be hearing from Bianca again in chapter eleven, I think. Chapter nine will be from Cheren's point of view, and ten will be from Farren's.

Well, I can say that we will see some pretty interesting action from more than just a certain misunderstood giant genetic insect... It'll be much more difficult to incorporate it into the story than... well, I think I'll stop talking there.

Oh yes, definitely like Frozen World. I lost steam when it came to that story, regrettably. I had this idea for Trials not too long before acting on it, because I had a huge hankering to write a fanfiction along the same basis as Frozen World. There is only one key similarity, though. That won't be evident until much, much later into the story though!

Without further ado, the next chapter!

Chapter Eight - Eco-Friendly

Quote:
The ball shook once. The ball shook twice... No dice. After the second shake, the Audino I had the intention of catching broke free from the ball, making the Lillipup I made all that effort and wasted two Poké Balls catching (using a third to catch it) look so much easier. After breaking free, it began to panic and run around in circles. I had tried going back to that enclosed area with the trees, but it immediately sprinted as fast as it could (which was certainly faster than I thought possible for that Pokémon) through all foliage, to the ends of the earth so it could be safe from me. It had ran away, and here I was without an Audino. Professor Juniper made it look incredibly easy.

I looked down at Zorua with a sigh, and he looked at me as if with a raised eye circle, as if with doubt. I agreed: I was pretty doubtful myself. I've already used up four Poké Balls, and I only was able to catch one Pokémon. After that, I had no more tries and I had to go back and face Genna, Cheren and Professor Juniper with only a measly Lillipup. Don't get me wrong: the Lillipup I caught looked rather friendly and very loyal. It kind of made up for never having the chance to own a dog, being a dog Pokémon itself. But it was one Normal-type Pokémon. From what I've seen, there's a lot more in this little forest than just Lillipup and Pidove.

Pulling my éPhone out of my pocket, I checked the time. 1:15 PM. I was running out of time! If I had to be in Accumula Town by 3:00 PM and try and at least look respectable in this competition, I had to find another Pokémon, preferably a one of a different type, and quickly. That was going to be difficult to do with just one Poké Ball. Trying to remember catching a Pokémon in the games I had played as a kid, I never made a conscious effort to catch Pokémon. I just raised two or three and trolled all of the trainers with a team that was always at least five levels higher than theirs.

I turned around, heading away from the small grove, Zorua staying at my side constantly. While I walked, I couldn't help but think about my partner Pokémon for a while. It was always so trusting, so quick to follow. Wasn't it supposed to be a trickster, invoking on the citizens of whatever city Professor Juniper was talking about? Castelia City, I think? On any note, I just was not connecting the dots so well. Zorua just seemed so well behaved, and I couldn't help but notice. Focused, cunning and creative as well as powerful, loyal and a force that cannot be phased easily. I still wonder if it thought about what I had said last night when I suggested being from another world. On that note, it took all of the concentration I had to focus on keeping the mindset of a Pokémon trainer and not a Keyblade master.

Dismissing the thought, I figured there was still a lot I didn't know yet. I think I was already at the point where I may never figure it out. Would I be happy with being stuck in this world forever? Not quite. Was it really that bad? Definitely not. At this point, though it is not like I do not remember my non-Pokémon memories, it has definitely seemed like they are not worth having anymore. But I would like some closure to this. Will I get that? I doubt it, but I suppose anything is possible. Everything seemed a little too unpredictable at this juncture in time.

Stuck in thought, I focused back on Zorua and Route 1, the more relevant topics. I committed to this contest, or whatever this was. What am I going to do with my remaining Poké Ball, and how am I going to strategically change my odds?

Zorua's ears wiggled, and suddenly its stance became fixed and determined. Quickly I too became tense, looking about my surroundings for whatever Zorua perceived. Acting on instinct, it scurried down the winding road, passing by a sign that said "3 Miles to Accumula Town". I ran after it, looking around wherever, trying to keep up. I didn't see or hear anything. But Zorua kept running after whatever had caught its attention. It just proves that certain Pokémon have incredible senses that we can never understand, I suppose.

After a few more moments, Zorua had led me to another grove of trees, this one a little more elaborate than the one where Professor Juniper caught that Audino, and stopped in its tracks. It took its stance again, and when I had finally caught up, I could see what its senses had taken notice of and analyzed the situation.

It was a skinny little blue monkey Pokémon, swinging from branch to branch with thin arms and a limber body. It always seemed to have its eyes closed, even when it stopped in place and noticed my Zorua's stare. It seemed to have some sort of ornament on its head, a small blue topper in the shape of a geyser. I immediately took out my éPhone and pointed at the Pokémon, making use of the new App I had downloaded an hour ago when I realized that I didn't have a Pokédex. The App - well, the lite version, which was free and had some limitations - could identify any Pokémon.

"Panpour, the Spray Pokémon," Dexter said from the tiny speakers on the bottom of the éPhone, "Panpour lived in forests long ago, but developed a body that makes it easy to live near water. It can store water in the tufts on its head."

I put away my éPhone quickly, attaching it to the clip on the belt loop on my jeans, glaring at Panpour like Ash Ketchum did in the Pokémon anime back in my world. Perhaps this was my good luck charm.

"Let's go, Zorua! Use Faint Attack!"

Without any hesitation, Zorua simultaneously jolted towards the trees, became cloaked in darkness and disappeared within seconds of pushing off of its hind legs. This confused Panpour: it quickly suffered from a mild panic attack as it frantically looked around for its sneaky opponent. Its curiosity did not burn long. After a few short moments, Zorua reappeared from behind and struck it directly in the back, making it relinquish its grip from the tree. The branch it was clinging to snapped, but it did not completely break off. Panpour fell to the ground but had recovered quickly afterwards, while Zorua gracefully landed on all fours.

In a fit of rage, the primate Pokémon spewed forth a discharge of water from its mouth, which barely missed Zorua. Upon contact with the grass, the liquid began to steam and everything green quickly started to shrivel. What kind of a Water Gun was that?

Zorua immediately took charge and spun into the air, transforming into a Pokémon I could not identify. If my hunch was correct, it was the evolved form of Panpour, which I took notice was an intimidation strategy of Zorua. It was a little taller and more humanlike, with a less agile yet sturdier frame. Its head seemed to have watery "hair" instead of the water spout shaped tuft Panpour had.

Dexter, still operating on my éPhone to my surprise, intervened. "Simipour, the Geyser Pokémon and evolved form of Panpour. The high-pressure water expelled from its tail is so powerful, it can destroy a concrete wall." Too bad this was an illusion and not the real deal.

Panpour tilted its head in confusion, but I knew that just like Oshawott had been panicky when Zorua had transformed into Samurott, this trick would not work for long. That fact reminded me of a move I really wanted to try with Zorua that the éPhone had suggested after I caught Lillipup.

"Zorua, use Sucker Punch!"

Panpour already aware of the trickery had took its stance, but not before Zorua had began its assault at full speed. Right before impact, Zorua's new fists glowed with a violet aura. Panpour was sent flying, but it didn't go far. When it landed on the ground, it struggled to get up, but I knew this battle would end soon.

I began to reach into my backpack and scrounge for the last Poké Ball, but suddenly, a hurried voice stopped me.

"Trainer, please stop! Don't waste that Poké Ball! I own that Pokémon!"

My heart sank. Zorua stopped right in its tracks, and immediately changed back, and Panpour pulled itself up with renewed energy, only this time not to defend itself. Scampering past me, my eyes followed it until it reached its owner, a youthful man in a red uniform. He was taller than me but not by much. He had rope buckled to his belt, a massive backpack and hiking boots, as if he were ready to climb up a mountain, and seemed to move with incredible ease despite the heavy load.

"I'm so sorry, sir," the man said almost tired from running, pulling out his Poké Ball, which sent a beam that upon hitting Panpour sent it into the ball. "My Panpour does love to get out sometimes. I was camping just a mile or two down the path and I overslept. After I had packed up camp, I had realized Panpour had gotten out. Silly me!"

I sighed, rolling my eyes. "Just my luck, I suppose. If it was a wild Pokémon, I probably would have caught it."

I felt kind of cheated. If only this man had been a little more careful with his Pokémon, I wouldn't have such a false sense of hope. But yet I couldn't blame the man. He did seem earnestly sorry. There was no helping it. I had to be grateful for what I had; at least my Zorua didn't act that way. At least Lillipup doesn't seem to be acting that way...

"It kind of looked like you were beating it, too," replied the man, itching the back of his head nervously. "I'm a nature ranger, and we tend to focus more on the environment than training our Pokémon, so you certainly seem like you'd beat me in a battle."

I nodded, dejected. But still I was a Pokémon short, and I probably had a little more than an hour to hightail it to Accumula Town.

The nature ranger frowned, tilting his head. "Is something the matter?"

Surprised, I immediately adjusted my posture. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to make you feel bad; I realize it was just a misunderstanding, but... I was really excited, because I just started my Pokémon journey, and you see I -"

"Not so fast!" the ranger said, interrupting me with a smile. "You say you just started your journey? I've been raising that Panpour for years, and you mean to tell me that you're a rookie? Wow. Shows that I have some learning to do... wait a second, I think I know how I can make it up to you..."

The ranger instantly took the backpack he had off of his shoulders and placed it carefully on the ground. Zorua darted closer to me, sharing my curiosity as the man rummaged through his back, pulling out something cloaked in a white towel. He unwrapped it to reveal a small, lightweight mobile incubator of some sort, which contained a small egg. Approaching me carefully with the contraption in hand, he gave it to me, and I hesitantly accepted it. It wasn't too heavy, but it wasn't too light, either.

"It's a Pokémon egg," he added, pulling his bag back onto his shoulders with little difficulty. "I just came from Route 18 off of the side of this route. "I found it deep in the sandbanks there, and I've had it for quite a while, for the past month. I was helping an old friend excavate the land, and he made an interesting discovery that the place itself might have been a part of the Desert Resort! Don't tell anybody that just yet, because it needs to be published first. But this egg helped him make that discovery, saying it was a Pokémon that can likely be found in the desert with a little digging around. He gave it to me, but I don't really raise Pokémon quite like you trainers do, so I think it'll be better under your care."

I looked at the man blankly, trying to offer some form of appreciation. "Uh, thank you? I just don't know how this works..." That was a partial lie. I do remember a little bit about eggs from Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal, but I have no idea how these incubators work.

The man nodded, pointing to the egg. "The thing holding this egg is called an egg case. It works like an incubator, keeping the egg safe and warm until it hatches. Now, my friend cranked up the heat settings for some reason, so don't burn yourself. When the egg starts to glow and shake a little, you might want to get to the nearest Pokémon Center. The Nurse Joy there will be able to assist you, because it will be getting ready to hatch at that point. But if it starts shaking violently and you're nowhere near a Pokémon Center, turn the heat off and open the case, and carefully put the egg on a soft object. I don't think you should worry when trying catching it if it goes crazy."

Chills crawled down my spine. What did he mean by "if it tries to go crazy"? Like, crazy as in Gnarls Barkley crazy, or crazy as in Ted Bundy crazy?

Before I could say or do anything, he started running off, still beaming. "I've got to go! Enjoy your journey!"

And there I was, left with an egg in my hand and a Zorua by my side who I could swear was laughing at my slack-jawed stone-cold appearance.

It was 3:14 PM, and I could finally see the outskirts of Accumula Town on the horizon as I huffed and puffed my way through the final stretch of Route 1. Zorua kept up flawlessly, but I was quickly growing exhausted with my load of responsibilities growing with the egg case in my arms. As I sprinted into the boundaries of the city, I could see Professor Juniper standing next to Genna and a police officer.

The Professor glanced at me with a sigh of relief. Genna looked disappointed, standing with her Tepig on one side and a new Pokémon on the other. That was a little relief to me. She probably only caught one Pokémon, too. I don't know if the egg counted as a second Pokémon, but I was sure to milk this inconvenience for all it was worth.

"I'm glad to see you're all right," the Professor said with a broken smile. "Have you seen Cheren?"

I gulped, slightly edgy with inquisitiveness. "Why? What's wrong?"

The officer stepped forward with a gloomy expression, as if the wind were knocked right out of her. "There was an explosion on Route 17. No one knows how it was caused or if anyone got in the way, but you kids could have been in serious danger. There were damages to Routes 17, 18 and a little to Route 1, but no one knows of the cause or who was involved. After the Unova Fire Department called me, I notified the International Police, but I haven't gotten any notice..."

Suddenly I grew very curious myself. Wouldn't I hear an explosion of such magnitude? Perhaps it was just me, but I thought the whole concept of Pokémon was supposed to be peaceful, despite competitive battling. Since when were explosions a reality in the Pokémon world?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 AM

Just a few quick updates!

• No chapter updates... yet. I should have something up either later tonight or early tomorrow morning (EST), but no promises. Hopefully. As I have already announced, Chapter Nine will be in the point of view of Cheren, Ten will be Farren, and Eleven will be Bianca.

• Character profiles are coming soon... (:

• With my absolutely fantabulously boss mad skillz slight aptitude for graphics, I have a few banners for the fanfiction... take a peek. ;D

Spoiler:

Last edited by Professor Geoffrey; 03-19-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

Been a bit busy, but I did read through the new chapter a while back. LoL, felt so sorry for poor Farren, but... the entire situation was a little amusing xD But hey, at least he got an egg out of it :D Hmm... must be that one bug-type critter, eh? Maybe? Hmm...

But yesh! It seems we might be seeing some action from a certain genetic insect xD

Quote:
Aww! Thank you! :3 I quite like Farren myself. He's an experimental character. Just wait until I start doing story arc summaries every ten or so chapters. The funny will really begin there!

I'm going to have a lot of fun with Bianca. Cheren is going to be a bit of a challenge... I'm going to also, hopefully, write from the point of view of one other character somewhat soon, and that'll be the biggest challenge of all. Hint, it won't be Genna... And we'll be hearing from Bianca again in chapter eleven, I think. Chapter nine will be from Cheren's point of view, and ten will be from Farren's.

Well, I can say that we will see some pretty interesting action from more than just a certain misunderstood giant genetic insect... It'll be much more difficult to incorporate it into the story than... well, I think I'll stop talking there.

Oh yes, definitely like Frozen World. I lost steam when it came to that story, regrettably. I had this idea for Trials not too long before acting on it, because I had a huge hankering to write a fanfiction along the same basis as Frozen World. There is only one key similarity, though. That won't be evident until much, much later into the story though!
Shweet :D

Hmm, Cheren is a little difficult to tackle, isn't he? Well, in my experience, it has. I remember trying to write a Christmas themed story with him as the MC last year but... I had the hardest time trying to tack down his personality :/ But so far, I think you're doing a swell job ^^

Much more difficult than...? Hmm... *goes off to think*

Oh, okay! :D Am I perhaps right in thinking that it has something to do with Kyurem? Hmm, you don't have to answer that if you'd like xD

BTW, love the new banners! :D The colors and textures are awesome ^^ Which reminds me, there actually was this one banner I made that was slightly inspired by that old Frozen World story (you can see it here ;D ). Hmm, since I'm enjoying this one, maybe I should make some fan-art for it, too.... :D

Old 03-24-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmander009 View Post
Been a bit busy, but I did read through the new chapter a while back. LoL, felt so sorry for poor Farren, but... the entire situation was a little amusing xD But hey, at least he got an egg out of it :D Hmm... must be that one bug-type critter, eh? Maybe? Hmm...

But yesh! It seems we might be seeing some action from a certain genetic insect xD

Shweet :D

Hmm, Cheren is a little difficult to tackle, isn't he? Well, in my experience, it has. I remember trying to write a Christmas themed story with him as the MC last year but... I had the hardest time trying to tack down his personality :/ But so far, I think you're doing a swell job ^^

Much more difficult than...? Hmm... *goes off to think*

Oh, okay! :D Am I perhaps right in thinking that it has something to do with Kyurem? Hmm, you don't have to answer that if you'd like xD

BTW, love the new banners! :D The colors and textures are awesome ^^ Which reminds me, there actually was this one banner I made that was slightly inspired by that old Frozen World story (you can see it here ;D ). Hmm, since I'm enjoying this one, maybe I should make some fan-art for it, too.... :D
Kind thoughts. That's all I can say right now, haha! I just got back from seeing The Hunger Games. I'm extremely disturbed right now.

I'm just posting right now to serve as a notice: the next four days are going to be very very busy for me. This next week is the last week of the third grading period, and I'm freaking out with deadlines. So I'm not going to be able to update with anything new until, at the very earliest, Tuesday. At the very latest... I don't know. I'm trying. I will not let this fanfiction die. I'm through the middle of the next chapter, but right now I have some major stuff to get to! But you can bet that I'll get to this as soon as I can.