Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » Fourth Generation

Fourth Generation Discuss the fourth generation Pokemon games: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:20 AM
KKranberry Offline

Default Platinum Team Building Help!

I'm playing an all-female Platinum run-through, and I've run into a snag with my team.

Here are my current team members (I'm too lazy to look up natures - also, ignore their suckass movesets that I've been too lazy to fix up):

Liza the Infernape, Lv. 36
Ability: Blaze
-Close Combat
-Flame Wheel
-Ember
-Mach Punch

Gemma the Staraptor, Lv. 35
Ability: Intimidate
-Aerial Ace
-Return
-Close Combat
-Defog

Ivy the Roselia, Lv. 35
Ability: Natural Cure
-Magical Leaf
-Giga Drain
-Grasswhistle
-Toxic Spikes

Nala the Luxray, Lv. 35
Ability: Rivalry (not the best, I know, but I don't really care)
-Bite
-Spark
-Thunder Fang
-Tackle (lolz)

Jess the Gastrodon, Lv. 35
Ability: Storm Drain
-Water Pulse
-Mud Bomb
-Hidden Power (Ghost)
-Body Slam

Shailene the Scizor, Lv. 35
Ability: Technician
-Bug Bite
-Metal Claw
-False Swipe
-Wing Attack

So, here's the problem.
I'm hoping to put Brick Break on Scizor instead of False Swipe eventually, which means that she will have the same type coverage as Staraptor and then some. Plus, since Wing Attack gets a 1.5x bonus from Technician, it essentially has the same base power as Staraptor's STAB Aerial Ace. Therefore, Shailene has made almost made Gemma obsolete as a team member.

Basically, should I keep Staraptor around and make some moveset changes, or should I replace my Staraptor? And if I should take her out of the lineup, who should I replace her with? Any and all help is appreciated!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Obliveon Offline

Default Re: Platinum Team Building Help!

I'd keep the Staraptor because it knows Defog and can learn Fly later.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

you should add a dragon to your team.

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 01-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Swampert Guy Offline

Cool Re: Platinum Team Building Help!

It's funny that you've built a female team. I suggest you to take out Scizor and Staraptor.

Infernape
Staraptor
Roselia
Luxray
Gastrodon
Scizor

Staraptor is got low base stats and Scizor is in disadvantage due its 4x times weak to fire. I think that you could include the following over them:

Lucario - He's fighting and steel type. Besides the fact Lucario has a nice Attack he's also high on Special Attack and can even learn Psychic, the most devastating psychic type movie.

Any ghost - You have Infernape, Roselia and my Lucario (I think that you have), so you better have a ghost Pokemon with Shadow Ball to get protected from psychic type foes. There are many new ghost Pokemons in Diamond and Pealr, so I won't suggest specifically one, you can choose between Rotom, Froslass, Spiritomb, Mismagius... Take the one you think that will be more useful in your team.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampert Guy View Post
It's funny that you've built a female team. I suggest you to take out Scizor and Staraptor.

Infernape
Staraptor
Roselia
Luxray
Gastrodon
Scizor

Staraptor is got low base stats and Scizor is in disadvantage due its 4x times weak to fire. I think that you could include the following over them:

Lucario - He's fighting and steel type. Besides the fact Lucario has a nice Attack he's also high on Special Attack and can even learn Psychic, the most devastating psychic type movie.

Any ghost - You have Infernape, Roselia and my Lucario (I think that you have), so you better have a ghost Pokemon with Shadow Ball to get protected from psychic type foes. There are many new ghost Pokemons in Diamond and Pealr, so I won't suggest specifically one, you can choose between Rotom, Froslass, Spiritomb, Mismagius... Take the one you think that will be more useful in your team.

^ what are you talking about?
scizor is one on the top battling pokemon in the game...it has been for years. Keep scizor on the team, its natural resistances, defense and Technician make it a pretty tough pokemon. although its moveset needs work...

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 02-28-2012, 01:10 AM
PkMn Trainer Offline

Good team, although I keep Scizor just because he has great stats, he only has 1 weakness (fire), and he's resistant against 9 types (grass, normal, bug, steel, psychic, ghost, dark, dragon, and ice!). Oh, and he's immune to poison. Ditch Staraptor and, like Shadow Trapper said, consider a dragon. Dragonite and Salamence are flying type too and they're beasts. Maybe ditch Luxray too just because his moveset isn't anything special. It depends on how bad you need/want an electric type. Also, keep in mind that your pyschic weakness is covered by keeping Scizor (psychic < bug). Hope this helps a bit.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Swampert Guy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreal Shadow Tracker View Post
^ what are you talking about?
scizor is one on the top battling pokemon in the game...it has been for years. Keep scizor on the team, its natural resistances, defense and Technician make it a pretty tough pokemon. although its moveset needs work...
Yes, Scizor is a top battling Pokemon, but for this team I suggest to substitute it for other. Maybe Heracross, which unlike Scizor, can learn Earthquake and cover weakness, like fire types. Also, getting protection from flying types is very much easier than fire types.