Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Default Kids on Leashes: Sensible? Or Silly?

The poor discussion section has become as exciting as watching paint dry. Everything posted is either about politics or religion with the same people making the exact same statements over and over. So for all of you who wanted a break from that.

Kids on Leashes: Sensible? Or Silly?

I really think its silly but some of the new leashes are pretty funny.

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Kids on Leashes: Sensible? Or Silly?

I can do you one better when it comes to posting an interesting topic, and I will do so after I post in this.

Are the parents competent enough to watch over their kids without them? I know far too many parents who keep them on a leash simply because they do not want to be bothered with them, rather than actually being worried about losing them in a crowd.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
I can do you one better when it comes to posting an interesting topic, and I will do so after I post in this.

Are the parents competent enough to watch over their kids without them? I know far too many parents who keep them on a leash simply because they do not want to be bothered with them, rather than actually being worried about losing them in a crowd.

Kids are wild, energetic and curious which cause them to get into trouble easily. Id like to know the long term effects of what happens to a child that's leashed. Based on human nature those children would just act more.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:56 PM

They would act up more because they have pent up energy. Curiosity is a trait of humans, but can be easily ignored, as seen by simple observation (the amount of ignorant people in the world).
Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
They would act up more because they have pent up energy.
Psychology ain't that simple.

I don't think any prediction of this effect can honestly be considered to be accurate without more information.

It'd be an interesting experiment, but it'd never get past an ethic's committee.

I find the idea quite amusing though.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 02-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post

I don't think any prediction of this effect can honestly be considered to be accurate without more information.

It'd be an interesting experiment, but it'd never get past an ethic's committee.

I find the idea quite amusing though.
You dont think any prediction would be accurate because humans are to different ?
it is pretty amusing to see a kid running around like that.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
No, but health is. Kids who are unable to run freely are often more prone to disruptive and destructive behavior.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 02-24-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Quote:
I agree with this. If you're not gonna bother watching your kid then by all means stick 'em on a leash. At least then they can't wander off and get run over/kidnapped/lost etc. xD

Of course actually watching your kid is probably more sensible... I don't really see any kids on leashes around here. Maybe its more of an American thing or something? I dunno whether it would have negative effects on the child or not. Even if kids aren't on leashes, they're not really allowed to run free (if their parents are actually looking after them), so not sure if that makes too much difference.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Temporal Diamond Offline

Send a message via MSN to Temporal Diamond

Silly, it's more practical to let your child roam freely and explore his/her new surroundings. Also, if you think in foresight, if a child were to become lost once, they will naturally be wary and stay closer to the parent/guardian hence saving lots of unnecessary bother with leashes and what have they not.

While we're on leashes, I would like to voice my disapproval about leash-ing pets. Humans should remember that relationships are built on trust and love. Why have a baby or adopt a pet if you don't trust and love them as how they should be? Do you leash them for fear that the animal may dislike you and run away? As a dog lover, I have never saw the need to leash my dog whenever I take it out for walks. If I were to have children, I wouldn't leash them either. It's simply stupid a method, no matter if it's in the crass name of "discipline".

ASB | VPP | Poetry | Art

Click please? :3
Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporal Diamond View Post
Silly, it's more practical to let your child roam freely and explore his/her new surroundings. Also, if you think in foresight, if a child were to become lost once, they will naturally be wary and stay closer to the parent/guardian hence saving lots of unnecessary bother with leashes and what have they not.

While we're on leashes, I would like to voice my disapproval about leash-ing pets. Humans should remember that relationships are built on trust and love. Why have a baby or adopt a pet if you don't trust and love them as how they should be? Do you leash them for fear that the animal may dislike you and run away? As a dog lover, I have never saw the need to leash my dog whenever I take it out for walks. If I were to have children, I wouldn't leash them either. It's simply stupid a method, no matter if it's in the crass name of "discipline".

It is not about keeping them from running away. It is about keeping them the yard so a car does not hit it. Domestic dogs lack street smarts, just as children do.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Phantom0990 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Phantom0990

Quote:
It is not about keeping them from running away. It is about keeping them the yard so a car does not hit it. Domestic dogs lack street smarts, just as children do.
It's also the law in most places to keep your pet on a leash, not only to keep them safe, but to keep others safe.

Kids on leashes? I'd say it depends on the kid. Got a kid that when you go to the store ALWAYS runs off as soon as you turn your back to look at something? Eh it might be bad parenting or whatever. I really don't care on the matter though. I mean it's just a leash, it's more funny and absurd than wrong.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 PM

Hell, who knows? The kids might be rabid?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Phantom0990 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Phantom0990

Quote:
Hell, who knows? The kids might be rabid?
Exactly, people really need to get their kids in for their shots.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Well health isn't that simple either...I should know considering that is what I do for a living.

I'll get the pets thing out of the way first: a lot of dogs like the leash because it is what they associate with being able to walk around on the streets and stuff. It's pretty commmon to see dogs bring the leash to their owners as a request to go outside. I can hardly see that as having anything to do with trust and love, considering the these dogs have been conditioned to associate leash with a positive outcome of walking outside.

The issue with kids on a leash is that...well it's kinda humourous to see that. Aside from that though, I think leashing a kid won't solve the intrinsic problem of the kid running around rampant. It's just going to put a contain on the issue rather than fix it. From a logical standpoint, it's a better tactic in the long run to teach your kid to not run around in an unsafe environment/unknown environment.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:33 AM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

I've seen the ones that look like a monkey, or other animal, holding the childs back. Always puts a smile on my face.

If it works for the parents, more power to them.

-| Links |-