Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

View Poll Results: Well? Are they?
Yes. New games are just gimmicks, and suck. 1 11.11%
Well I like the new games and all, but...I think they are. 3 33.33%
I kinda like the new games, so I guess that they aren't. 1 11.11%
Not by a long shot! I love the new games! 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Are Sonic's best days gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassy_Aggron View Post
@ pe2k - SEGA filed for bankruptcy? I don't think they did. I'm sure the website I follow would have reported about it (they catch everything else! I also just checked Wikipedia - which isn't the most accurate sometimes, but they only state financial loss at some point, but nothing about bankruptcy). I highly doubt Microsoft will acquire Nintendo. It just doesn't strike me as a good idea. They could be called a monopoly, because they would be controlling two different game consoles...And if Sony does go out of business (which is possible. They're not doing too well, as you said), then they'll control the market.

I think.

And....I just don't like those games. I feel like they just take examples from real life and turn it into a story. Most do, but it is just the same old "shoot these guys, stop this bomb" type of stuff. It's annoying. Given Mario and Sonic do similar things, but Sonic tries different ways to achieve it. Mario just stays the same, that plumber. (Does he actually do any plumbing?)

Regardless, genres go out and then back in. I doubt Mario or Sonic will ever be truly dead. Both are icons <3

And...I don't feel like arguing this anymore.
Ever wondered why SEGA doesn't make the Dreamcast anymore?

Microsoft could very well purchase Nintendo, and there would be nothing Nintendo could do about it. And depending on how good the Microsoft lobbyists are, they could get away with it too.

I do not care if you do or do not like them. They still have a story, and saying that they don't is a horrible generalization. For instance, Halo has one of the deepest stories ever presented in a video game. Call of Duty can definitely be intense when you are rushing to find a Russian Warlord. Battlefield 3 can play on your heartstrings as you watch Paris, France get blown away by a nuclear explosion. The stories are interesting for some, and boring for others. It is a story nonetheless.

Are you kidding me? Have you played Mario Party, Galaxy, Super Star Saga? The little war that both companies participate in is pointless, because here's a shocker, they are both in the same position. And at least Nintendo can ride on something else other than Mario. You are on a Pokemon forum for Christ's sake.

Point is this. Yes, Sonic's best days are gone. Does that mean they can't be really good? No. They will never be as popular or as innovative as they were because times have moved on (unless they merge or a miracle happens).

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 02-23-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

SEGA didn't go bankrupt. They pulled out of the system war because they were losing, and they saved themselves. They knew they couldn't win against the other three, so they switched to game making exclusively. Smart move, as they probably wouldn't be around anymore if they had not.

I never said Halo didn't have a story. I said Modern Warfare and Call of Duty do not. Halo has been...More like an adventure shooter, almost. And aliens XD

I'm not arguing this anymore. Good day.

Last edited by Grassy_Aggron; 02-23-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Max0596 Offline

Send a message via MSN to Max0596

I am done here also, but here's a closing statement:

I'm just going to use TVTropes to sum up all of this.

Those Wacky Nazis are at it again in World War II where they're using Soviet Super Science to try and destroy the world once again. Good thing the Big Damn Heros are Just In Time to save the day. Yippie.

Basically, the whole plot of CoD is just a mess of basic...what's the word...very typical cliche's. Seriously, if you write for the hell of it sometimes, which Grassy and I do, you start to notice "Hey,that's a pretty good plot!" or "Wow, try and not use the same plot device 20 times over in 40 seconds." You might think it's cool that you're always on time in those games, but it's all been done before. There is never, ever, ever any real plot twists or awesome revelations in those games, and there is never a You Are Too Late. Never. Not to be mean, but the stories SUCK. And Halo? Almost as bad. People's tastes are really bad when it comes to plot, obviously. Try TWEWY. That's an amazing plot. Suspense and mystery, instead of CoD's predictable "AHA!" Moments and twists. Halo, same for it. "Oh no, everyone's gonna die. Good thing I can just walk into this building, press a button, and save everyone. Yaaaaaayyyy." Happens in every game. That or it ends with MC saying that he's going to kick ass. Seriously.

The last few sonic games have had a lot of story. Black Knight, which threw in one helluva twist, and Seven Rings, which actually had some decent character development. Do they need better stories? No, they're better than most things out there.

I think SEGA pulling out of consoles was a really smart move. In this day and age, they would've been gone, sadly.

On the topic of Battlefield, same thing as CoD. "Oh noooo everything exploded. Good thing there's a few people left and we can stop them easily! :D" No duh. STILL NOT A GOOD PLOT! If you ask me, they all copied the Tom Clancy books, and 007, and all of that. With PREDICTABLE MOMENTS. They really ruin the game if you know basic cliche's and study the art of writing. If they start doing Aniti-Heroes too, It'll get really, really bad. Also, play on your heartstrings?

How about feeling like you did easily 2 hours of gaming for nothing, just to be thrown back in and have to continue? Then finding out that you've broken the rules too many times, and you're going to be killed by the one person you thought was the strongest in the world, then you pull out of it and win barely, only to realize...you're the bad guy. Yep, you just killed millions and millions of people by beating the main baddie- err...good guy. Then, the real Good Guy, the boss of the other Good Guy, reveals himself, kills you in a second, and decides not to kill the millions of people he was going to (because you won) because you swayed him. Yeah, that's TWEWY in a nutshell. Then you come back to life, finally, after 3 attempts and a lot of game time. You finally live through the 7 days. And after that? You're left with more questions, and so you play through all the story again getting little mission objectives, becoming even stronger, and then you know the real plot. Then you shoot an epically over-powered angel in the face with lasers and all of the other awesome pins you got on your journey. Hell yeah.

It's a story, but an overused, beaten to death, crappy, predictable, annoying, story. So most people with a lick of sense when it comes to good storytelling hate it, and they damnwell should. IT. SUCKS.

No more to debate about.

|||||||||||||||Enjoy the moment!
|||||||||||||||I take requests...if you want stuff, I mean...

Last edited by Max0596; 02-24-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max0596 View Post

Basically, the whole plot of CoD is just a mess of basic...what's the word...very typical cliche's. Seriously, if you write for the hell of it sometimes, which Grassy and I do, you start to notice "Hey,that's a pretty good plot!" or "Wow, try and not use the same plot device 20 times over in 40 seconds." You might think it's cool that you're always on time in those games, but it's all been done before. There is never, ever, ever any real plot twists or awesome revelations in those games, and there is never a You Are Too Late. Never. Not to be mean, but the stories SUCK. And Halo? Almost as bad. People's tastes are really bad when it comes to plot, obviously. Try TWEWY. That's an amazing plot. Suspense and mystery, instead of CoD's predictable "AHA!" Moments and twists. Halo, same for it. "Oh no, everyone's gonna die. Good thing I can just walk into this building, press a button, and save everyone. Yaaaaaayyyy." Happens in every game. That or it ends with MC saying that he's going to kick ass. Seriously.

You have never played any of these games.

The last few sonic games have had a lot of story. Black Knight, which threw in one helluva twist, and Seven Rings, which actually had some decent character development. Do they need better stories? No, they're better than most things out there.

I think SEGA pulling out of consoles was a really smart move. In this day and age, they would've been gone, sadly.

So you admit that their glory days are gone.

On the topic of Battlefield, same thing as CoD. "Oh noooo everything exploded. Good thing there's a few people left and we can stop them easily! :D" No duh. STILL NOT A GOOD PLOT! If you ask me, they all copied the Tom Clancy books, and 007, and all of that. With PREDICTABLE MOMENTS. They really ruin the game if you know basic cliche's and study the art of writing. If they start doing Aniti-Heroes too, It'll get really, really bad. Also, play on your heartstrings?

You would never like any modern fictional political/war novel then.

It's a story, but an overused, beaten to death, crappy, predictable, annoying, story. So most people with a lick of sense when it comes to good storytelling hate it, and they damnwell should. IT. SUCKS.

So you could have predicted the events of Modern Warfare 3 by playing Call of Duty 4? You could have predicted the destruction of Paris by simply fighting in Iran? As I have said, you have either never played these games (or bothered to follow them), or you are trolling.

No more to debate about.

That is your opinion.
Quote:
SEGA didn't go bankrupt. They pulled out of the system war because they were losing, and they saved themselves. They knew they couldn't win against the other three, so they switched to game making exclusively. Smart move, as they probably wouldn't be around anymore if they had not.

SEGA went bankrupt because of the millions they pored into advertising and the pathetic amount of Dreamcasts actually sold in the U.S

I never said Halo didn't have a story. I said Modern Warfare and Call of Duty do not. Halo has been...More like an adventure shooter, almost. And aliens XD

Treyarch Call of Duty, I can agree with you. Modern Warfare, I cannot.

I'm not arguing this anymore. Good day.

Okay. You too.

Now if you excuse me, I am going to go play Mario and Sonic and enjoy them while they last.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 02-24-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

There is no evidence to support they went bankrupt -.- I've looked it up. The one article I bothered to look at didn't even have a source.

Max didn't admit their glory days were gone, he said they were smart to pull out of the race. Please don't shove words into his mouth. And there is a difference between analyzing something and trolling, deary.

But you're right. I'm done talking about it. Because I'm PO'ed now, with all this pointless arguing. I always break into an argument with you, and I don't feel like spending more energy on you than I already have.

Basic - I don't think they're gone. Everyone hits a rough patch <3 And more or less, the bad ratings are undeserved. Can't spell ignorant without IGN. And the fans that cannot be pleased keep pushing, pushing, pushing. SEGA needs to give Sonic a rest for a year or so. Work on, say, Billy Hatcher or a new Crazy Taxi. Or Ecco the Dolphin! (Bloody game was so hard...)

Last edited by Grassy_Aggron; 02-24-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
There is no evidence to support they went bankrupt -.- I've looked it up. The one article I bothered to look at didn't even have a source.

Max didn't admit their glory days were gone, he said they were smart to pull out of the race. Please don't shove words into his mouth. And there is a difference between analyzing something and trolling, deary.

But you're right. I'm done talking about it. Because I'm PO'ed now, with all this pointless arguing. I always break into an argument with you, and I don't feel like spending more energy on you than I already have.

Basic - I don't think they're gone. Everyone hits a rough patch <3 And more or less, the bad ratings are undeserved. Can't spell ignorant without IGN. And the fans that cannot be pleased keep pushing, pushing, pushing. SEGA needs to give Sonic a rest for a year or so. Work on, say, Billy Hatcher or a new Crazy Taxi. Or Ecco the Dolphin! (Bloody game was so hard...)
You think I am trolling? xD Why are you PO'ed? How is this pointless? It cannot be an analysis when they have no idea what they are talking about.

They did not cancel the Dreamcast because they were smart, they canceled it because of their poor marketing.

I do not give a damn about IGN, Gamestop, GT, or any other game reviewers. I play the game and judge for myself. SEGA isn't gone, but their glory days are. A company can still be good and not be as successful as they were. As I said, the only way they will get back is if they merge with another company or they build a new gaming engine (and it had better be damn good) that no one else has.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 02-24-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
You think I am trolling? xD Why are you PO'ed? How is this pointless?
I never said you were. I'm not discussing this anymore. Good day.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:26 PM

Alright then.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:49 AM
Max0596 Offline

I've played every Halo, CoD, and read a LOT of that genre. I was SAYING(Protip: READ POSTS THOUROUGHLY) that they copied many of these great books I grew up with, like Tom Clancy. Seriously, READ. I'm not afraid to admit that you're getting on my nerves now. Also, I judge games when I PLAY them. I just played Skyrim. I like it. Before that, all I said was "Haven't played it yet, so I don't know."

Seriously, this has turned from a debate thread to you pointlessly flaming others because you think you know everything, and because you can't bother to do anything but obviously read a few words that I write, instead of the whole thing. So here, I'll bold it for you. Because all of what I write is important if you're going to respond. Also, I DAMNWELL did predict the plot twists, because THAT'S WHAT I DAMNWELL SAID. Predictable moments back in the old 007 and the old Tom Clancy books were PRICELESS, because they were something way different back then. Like thinking "You know what, I think this'll happen next..." and reading on to find out that you were right. It was great. CoD and Battlefield are SHOVING these ideals that were once great down our throats.

READ: I am NOT trolling. However, I am quite mad, bro.

Bottom line, NO, they aren't gone. Time works magic, and everything will get better.

@Grassy: Yeah, I hope they make a new Billy Hatcher. I wanted Sonic Adventure 2 Battle so bad for my Gamecube, but it was sold out, and I picked up the game at EB. I looked at it, bought it, and loved it. A LOT. XD Then got SA2B and loved it too :D

And Please lock this topic, whatever moderator is reading. It'll just lead to more of me raging if it stays open.

NO MORE REPLIES, TOPIC SHOULD BE CLOSED.

Last edited by Max0596; 02-26-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:50 AM

Now who is the one who has lost their temper? I will no longer debate since you have obviously lost your cool.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Max0596 Offline

Wha...what? I mean...what are you...what? *explodes*

Old 02-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Ataro Offline
RUSTYREFBOT

Send a message via AIM to Ataro

*Thread locked according to thread creator's request.