Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Atheist jailed for beliefs

Indonesia

As Atheism's numbers grow, the religious right seem to be less tolerant.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:41 PM
UltimateBrawl Offline

Default Re: Atheist jailed for beliefs

This just goes to show you that no matter the beliefs of the leaders, restriction of free speech is never a good thing. If our president was Chrsitian, and he locked up atheists for expressing their beliefs, I'd still be strongly against it.

Seriously, that's just messed up.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:50 PM

If you live in the United States, you'd know that atheists would never have that power.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 AM
Phantom0990 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Phantom0990

If these 'atheism' threads keep popping up wouldn't it be easier to have a club or something instead of having multiple threads? Just curious :P

Lack of religious tolerance is an issue yes. It's what we've been talking about all this time.

At least in the US they call it 'political suicide' to be labeled an atheist.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:46 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom0990 View Post
If these 'atheism' threads keep popping up wouldn't it be easier to have a club or something instead of having multiple threads? Just curious :P

Lack of religious tolerance is an issue yes. It's what we've been talking about all this time.

At least in the US they call it 'political suicide' to be labeled an atheist.
A club for people who do not believe in any force or god nor support any religion? That's like creating a group for those who are politically apathetic: there really is not a point.

I am a Christian, and I am proud to say actions such as these are wrong. People should be allowed to practice any religion they want, including nonreligion. If that is their choice, so be it. Respect it. End of story.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Exon Auxus Offline

Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus

The discussion on people's religious beliefs seems to keep coming up, as it consistently has over the past few years. At this point, nothing new is often said that hasn't been stated before, and it just seems like these discussions seem to get repetitive.

In this case, I see no special significance in the fact that he doesn't believe in God. Well many religious factions have been persecuted over the years for their beliefs, and no persecution is more right than another. As long as someone's beliefs don't break any concrete moral law, or endanger the lives of others (and it's impossible for a belief to do this anyway), then they can believe what they want. If their practices involve the threat of death or immediate danger of anyone, then they must be stopped and erased at all costs.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Phantom0990 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Phantom0990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Geoffrey View Post

A club for people who do not believe in any force or god nor support any religion? That's like creating a group for those who are politically apathetic: there really is not a point.
Actually I'll have to call you out on that. There are lots of Atheist forums and clubs out there. I know for a fact two other major pokesites that have large Atheist groups, one being one PokeCommunity with their Atheist Alliance, which is a rather large and active thread.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM
UltimateBrawl Offline

Quote:
I am a Christian, and I am proud to say actions such as these are wrong. People should be allowed to practice any religion they want, including nonreligion. If that is their choice, so be it. Respect it. End of story.
And, as always, a member of our Website Staff says EXACTLY what I was thinking. Do I approve of atheism? No. But do atheists have a RIGHT to practice it? Absolutely. Like Thomas Jefferson once said, "It neither picks my pocket or breaks my leg for my neighbor to say there are one hundred gods or no God."
Old 02-16-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBrawl View Post
And, as always, a member of our Website Staff says EXACTLY what I was thinking. Do I approve of atheism? No. But do atheists have a RIGHT to practice it? Absolutely. Like Thomas Jefferson once said, "It neither picks my pocket or breaks my leg for my neighbor to say there are one hundred gods or no God."
Ironically, Thomas Jefferson was a deist verging on agnosticism.

Quote:

Atheists are not apathetic towards religion. Atheists are atheists. You should look up what Apatheism is.

Did you know, on average, atheists are more knowledgeable about religion than religious people are?

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 02-16-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:43 AM
darthcrawford Offline

Send a message via MSN to darthcrawford

I have a dream...that one day christian children, athiest, and buddists and all other beleifs children will play nice together without getting into a skirmish over trying to convert each other or which one is smarter. that one day we will all band together to overcome trials and fix the problems of our nation because in all actuality the possibility of getting a person on either side to change their mind is a whole lot slimmer than one would've thought.
i am -removed by US government- and i approve this message

Last edited by darthcrawford; 02-21-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcrawford View Post
I have a dream...that one day christian children, athiest, and buddists and all other beleifs children will play nice together without getting into a skirmish over trying to convert each other or which one is smarter. that one day we will all band together to overcome trials and fix the problems of our nation because in all actuality the possibility of getting a person on either side to change their mind is a whole lot slimmer than one would've thought.
i am -removed by US government- and i approve this message
The problem is that it won't happen.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exon Auxus View Post
The discussion on people's religious beliefs seems to keep coming up, as it consistently has over the past few years. At this point, nothing new is often said that hasn't been stated before, and it just seems like these discussions seem to get repetitive.
Very repetitive, its like people cant think of anything better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post

Did you know, on average, atheists are more knowledgeable about religion than religious people are?
do you have documented research to back this statement ?because most of the atheists i know have no real knowledge of religion as a whole. They just know they dont believe in god.

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 02-21-2012, 05:27 PM
darthcrawford Offline

i have a friend who use to be christian and now is an atheist that me and him both use to research for the debates we'd have at least once a week. i'd say he's more studied on his view of things and me on mine but we both know a good bit of both sides of the argument. im not saying this on average cause i know a lot of fellow christians that dont know more than john 3:16 and i know some atheist that became atheist after they saw someone saying they're christian be not so christianlike and stopped.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreal Shadow Tracker View Post
Very repetitive, its like people cant think of anything better.

do you have documented research to back this statement ?because most of the atheists i know have no real knowledge of religion as a whole. They just know they dont believe in god.
It has been common knowledge since 2010 in the theological/philosophical realm. Atheists, Agnostics, Mormons, and Jews know more about any religion... than any religion.

LA Times

NY Times

Pew Research Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcrawford View Post
i have a friend who use to be christian and now is an atheist that me and him both use to research for the debates we'd have at least once a week. i'd say he's more studied on his view of things and me on mine but we both know a good bit of both sides of the argument. im not saying this on average cause i know a lot of fellow christians that dont know more than john 3:16 and i know some atheist that became atheist after they saw someone saying they're christian be not so christianlike and stopped.
I would love to talk to these Atheists that you know.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 02-21-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 PM
darthcrawford Offline

im sure he would sign up for a forum on a game he doesn't play just to talk to a random stranger. in fact i know a lot of atheist like you said they its a rapid growing belief. they're practically everywhere. is it so unbelievable that i have a friend who happens to be atheist and the topic of religion came up in discussion every once in a while? what possible benefit would i have to lie on an online forum that i am anonymous on? i was just showing that Christians an atheists can get along with out being rude to one another. there are people on both sides who just like to pick fights about this, look on youtube. you got the amazingatheist, thunderfoot, venomfangx, the list goes on...

but i digress, this is just one of those things people love to fight about. its like racism, hardly anyone thinks its OK but there are still some people out there who do. im not saying the holy wars will disappear but there is a possibility of it lightening up.

i mean look at the advances in gay society in the past decade. the hate hasn't gone away but it has gotten better for them.

i mean lets take away all I've said. assume i'm an atheist too(cause i've been borderline i'll admit it) does that really subtract from the sheer mass of trolls on both sides of the fence?

its not Christians and Atheists that is the problem, its antagonizers and haters.

and also possibly

Last edited by darthcrawford; 02-21-2012 at 09:34 PM.