Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: U.S destroying free speech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
In response to the "no nation owns the internet", again, this is clearly addressed in the bill. The corporations will only be able to effect sites which are illegally distributing US Copyright material. Other countries will only have to comply if they are hosting US Copyrighted material, which is frankly already the case with Youtube in other regions. For example, many high quality music videos on Youtube get blocked from German visitors because the local music copyright industry, GEMA, hasn't purchased the rights to play certain US Copyrighted songs within Germany.

Again, reading Fanfictions and browsing Fanart on Deviant aren't the targets of this bill. Many corporations actually support Fanfictions and Fan Art as a type of free publicity. Also, since most Fanfictioners and Deviant artists aren't making money off of their work, and are applying their own new interpretation to a currently existing idea, these are actually protected by Copyright Law under the term of Fair Use. PE2K probably won't be shut down either. I remember when the Gen V leaks came out, and several pokemon related sites were served a cease and desist letter from the North American division of Nintendo (I think. It was either Nintendo NA, or Game Freak NA. One of the head honchos.) It was well within their rights to do so, and they said they had no problem with fansites as long as they were willing to cooperate with Nintendo.
Sites like Pe2k aren't going to be the target of shutdowns, obviously, there's no profit to be gained from that. It's the precedent and the power that's worrying.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
In response to the "no nation owns the internet", again, this is clearly addressed in the bill. The corporations will only be able to effect sites which are illegally distributing US Copyright material. Other countries will only have to comply if they are hosting US Copyrighted material, which is frankly already the case with Youtube in other regions. For example, many high quality music videos on Youtube get blocked from German visitors because the local music copyright industry, GEMA, hasn't purchased the rights to play certain US Copyrighted songs within Germany.

Again, reading Fanfictions and browsing Fanart on Deviant aren't the targets of this bill. Many corporations actually support Fanfictions and Fan Art as a type of free publicity. Also, since most Fanfictioners and Deviant artists aren't making money off of their work, and are applying their own new interpretation to a currently existing idea, these are actually protected by Copyright Law under the term of Fair Use. PE2K probably won't be shut down either. I remember when the Gen V leaks came out, and several pokemon related sites were served a cease and desist letter from the North American division of Nintendo (I think. It was either Nintendo NA, or Game Freak NA. One of the head honchos.) It was well within their rights to do so, and they said they had no problem with fansites as long as they were willing to cooperate with Nintendo.
There are three problems with that notion. 1) the Attorney General, and the Attorney General alone, has the power to have court orders issued and enforce them when pursuant to this bill. There is essentially no body that is actually equal to him that can dispute his judgment, meaning he basically has carte blanche to target any site he wants. 2) There is no exception under copyright law if you aren't making money off of what you're producing. Pretty much every single fanfiction infringes on copyright. 3) Many corporations do support fanfiction, yes. But it only takes one. Only one publishing house, television network or movie studio saying "screw that noise, I don't want fanfiction of my work" and bam, fanfiction.net is shut down if they don't get all of the fanfiction of that title off within five days. Same goes for Youtube, actually. Say, picking a random name out of a hat, Rihanna suddenly decided that she didn't want people's covers of her songs on Youtube anymore. Do you know how many artists have gotten their start on Youtube, posting cover songs to earn some spotlight before debuting their original music? They could all go to jail for that under this bill, even though I can personally attest to only finding out about a ton of those songs through these artists.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Wile E Coyote Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Sites like Pe2k aren't going to be the target of shutdowns, obviously, there's no profit to be gained from that. It's the precedent and the power that's worrying.
I totally agree with this. I just think people and the media are blowing the whole bill out of proportion.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:05 AM
most duded Offline

they have a thirst for power. they want us like this. they now itll be an outrage

Old 12-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

This isn't surprising at all coming from the fact that the original idea came from a number of very powerful organizations and corporations. Of course, the interesting aspect of this is that there are a number of corporations that are totally against this development as well such as Google, considering that Google would be one of the first to be shut down indefinitely if the law comes to pass in its current manifestation.

The issue is that the interpretation of piracy and the extent to which piracy activities can be linked is far too vague and far too easy for anyone of sufficient money to claim. In the case of Google, all I would need to shut it down is to find a link that has anything remotely close to piracy to start the process. All I needed to do was pretty much type in "piracy" to do it. Then again, even pe2k occasionally has a bunch of bots posting piracy links as well. In theory they can shut us down, but we're a very minor voice occupying less than a minuscule amount of the internet.

How it stifles freedom of speech is interesting, considering that most of the freedom of speech that's going on is not going to be a concern for corporations in general. I doubt in that sense that any minor voices that are deemed "not mattering" will be affected, though larger and louder voices such as Michael Moore's website would be downed quite quickly.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM
most duded Offline

y would they even consider shutting down Google.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by most duded View Post
y would they even consider shutting down Google.
It isn't even that they would, it's the very fact that they could. It'd be like handing a weather control device to a person and expecting them to never call the UN with a list of demands. You're giving them effective power over people with enormous influence over what people have access to.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:15 AM
most duded Offline

I cant believe this. I mean, seriously, have they read the ammendments

Old 12-13-2011, 01:05 AM
MoonKit Offline

Send a message via MSN to MoonKit

(Before I post, I ask you this question: What am I, an almost 13-year-old girl, doing in this part of the forum? I don't give a crap about politics.)

I honestly thought of this happening when I was merely 10. I had nightmares of this happening. If they pass it, my nightmares are becoming reality. If it passes its gonna go like this: First their going to kill internet, then go around to every US house and jack the computers. I swear. To *******. God.

Though honestly, the Government isn't THAT stupid. If they were, America would have been a living Hunger Game book five years before I was born, so basically...in 1994.

In my opinion, this is more retarded than both the burn ban being unbanasized (I don't care if that's not a word at this moment) and the beer thing.

Thank you for your time, that is all.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

SOPA has been shelved as Sony, Nintendo, Reddit, Wikipedia, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Macintosh, MLG, Nvidia and more companies either oppose or drop support of the bill.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:01 AM
most duded Offline

Not nintentdo!!!