Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Opinions on the President?

What are you opinions on the current U.S president? Is he okay? Is he awful? Is he amazing? And more importantly, out of all current possible presidential candidates, should he be elected again?
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Opinions on the President?

Is he okay? Yes.

Is he awful? No.

Is he amazing? No.

Should he be elected again? Damn straight.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Opinions on the President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Is he okay? Yes.

Is he awful? No.

Is he amazing? No.

Should he be elected again? Damn straight.
That... You have taken the words out of my mouth.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-13-2011, 11:26 PM
MoonKit's Avatar
MoonKit Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington.
Posts: 2,593
Send a message via MSN to MoonKit
Default Re: Opinions on the President?

50% ok, 50% awful. Honestly, though this bs started at the end of Bush's presidency, it got worse once Obama was elected. Hell, the internet thing started, the burn ban was unbanned, etc.

I strongly dislike him (Hater much.), and rather would have had that one other dude (God, already forgot his name) as the United States president. Sure, I don't like Sarah, but the dude would have, in my oppinion, been much better than Obama.

Think of the promises Obama made.

"I will bring the people back from war."
There is one more war, if I am correct, and all of the other wars are still blowing Pakistan etc. up.

"I will lower taxes"
I thin you mean increase.

I'm not sure what other promises he made, but I doubt it happened.
__________________
I'm alive! -coughnotcough-
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Redlark's Avatar
Redlark Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: In a rice bowl, full of curry beef.
Posts: 357
Send a message via Yahoo to Redlark
Default Re: Opinions on the President?

Is he okay? No.

Is he awful? No.

Is he amazing? No.

Should he be elected again? Probably not, but statistically he'll win anyway despite his dropping approval rating. Incumbents usually do, it's the safety of knowing who your president is, unless they were absolutely horrid. Which I don't really like a lot of the things that have happened in his term, but what can ya do, eh?

I seen him being reelected with decent numbers, but his 2nd term will probably be crap in comparison to the 1st. But Idk... all I can say is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kVFdAJRVm94
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Opinions on the President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonKit View Post
50% ok, 50% awful. Honestly, though this bs started at the end of Bush's presidency, it got worse once Obama was elected. Hell, the internet thing started, the burn ban was unbanned, etc.

I strongly dislike him (Hater much.), and rather would have had that one other dude (God, already forgot his name) as the United States president. Sure, I don't like Sarah, but the dude would have, in my oppinion, been much better than Obama.

Think of the promises Obama made.

"I will bring the people back from war."
There is one more war, if I am correct, and all of the other wars are still blowing Pakistan etc. up.

"I will lower taxes"
I thin you mean increase.

I'm not sure what other promises he made, but I doubt it happened.
Your ignorance is appalling. I don't know how you can possibly conceive of yourself as someone capable of making an informed judgement call. Literally none of the so-called "facts" you have spouted are correct in the slightest. Afghanistan and Pakistan were in conflict before Obama ever got to the Presidency and America has withdrew from Iraq, bringing down the total number of conflicts the US is in. There have been a grand total of 0 tax increases that Obama has implemented. Please, if the only place where you get news from is hearsay from your little ring of friends, keep your opinion to yourself so you don't come off as so much of a fool.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 12-13-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 AM
haybalebarn's Avatar
haybalebarn Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: A farm. Life is slow as a stable.
Posts: 460
Send a message via Skype™ to haybalebarn
Default Re: Opinions on the President?

Personally, I don't like Obama much, but I don't know all the facts, and neither can anyone else.

So

Is he okay? Sure

Is he awful? Not really.

Is he amazing? Not really.

Should he be elected again? Not for me to say.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 AM
Redlark's Avatar
Redlark Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: In a rice bowl, full of curry beef.
Posts: 357
Send a message via Yahoo to Redlark
Default Re: Opinions on the President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Your ignorance is appalling. I don't know how you can possibly conceive of yourself as someone capable of making an informed judgement call. Literally none of the so-called "facts" you have spouted are correct in the slightest. Afghanistan and Pakistan were in conflict before Obama ever got to the Presidency and America has withdrew from Iraq, bringing down the total number of conflicts the US is in. There have been a grand total of 0 tax increases that Obama has implemented. Please, if the only place where you get news from is hearsay from your little ring of friends, keep your opinion to yourself so you don't come off as so much of a fool.
That's not true--soon after Obama took office, we saw the highest raise in tobacco taxes EVER, just months after he said there'd be no new taxes... give me a sec, all I have to do is google this crap if you want me to find some more, I'm sorry Lusankya.

Joe Biden then said... no new taxes for anybody that makes less than 250,000 a year. Which only really sucks for anybody that actually worked their way to the top only to be garnished through the *** with taxes

Which counts as new taxes for any big wigs. Not me obviously. But--

Also, statistically smokers are found more commonly within the lower income sectors. So really... I can argue that him and the gov have pinched the lower class to a higher degree than before secretly.

Either way... this hits home for me, I'm a smoker. And it royally hit a bad nerve when he banned clove cigs...

Tobacco is also one of the strong growing businesses in the US (despite that it kills people with cancer), we shouldn't be weakening a strong American business, ultimately losing potential tax money for more important things. That's just illogical.

And if you want to fight me on fact checks, my small group of friends are BBC News, NBC, CNN, and the Cross Burning Station (CBS). Sometimes Fox... maybe Yahoo...

Last edited by Redlark; 12-14-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Opinions on the President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlark View Post
That's not true--soon after Obama took office, we saw the highest raise in tobacco taxes EVER, just months after he said there'd be no new taxes... give me a sec, all I have to do is google this crap if you want me to find some more, I'm sorry Lusankya.

Joe Biden then said... no new taxes for anybody that makes less than 250,000 a year. Which only really sucks for anybody that actually worked their way to the top only to be garnished through the *** with taxes

Which counts as new taxes for any big wigs. Not me obviously. But--

Also, statistically smokers are found more commonly within the lower income sectors. So really... I can argue that him and the gov have pinched the lower class to a higher degree than before secretly.

Either way... this hits home for me, I'm a smoker. And it royally hit a bad nerve when he banned clove cigs...

Tobacco is also one of the strong growing businesses in the US (despite that it kills people with cancer), we shouldn't be weakening a strong American business, ultimately losing potential tax money for more important things. That's just illogical.

And if you want to fight me on fact checks, my small group of friends are BBC News, NBC, CNN, and the Cross Burning Station (CBS). Sometimes Fox... maybe Yahoo...
No offense, but when politicians talk about raising/lowering taxes, they are referring to the income tax. The tobacco tax is primarily for the purpose of discouraging people from smoking, not to make money.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Redlark's Avatar
Redlark Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: In a rice bowl, full of curry beef.
Posts: 357
Send a message via Yahoo to Redlark
Default Re: Opinions on the President?

True, but still a tax. I'm a smoker, which means I'm paying more taxes now than before. Then the promise of--"Not raising taxes," should've been stated as a, "I'm not going to raise taxes, except very specific sales taxes and etc. and so forth."

Roughly twice as many people died under Obama in Afghanistan than Bush (oh well, not big news), we've declared war on Yemen (not that big of an enemy, but still a nation under our bombs, but idc), we've randomly sent troops to Uganda (again, nobody cares), and we're sort of in war with Somalia (most people respond, where's that? I don't care.)...

The amount of war has stayed the about the same--a lot of it just too dry for major news coverage. Most people just care about the Kardashians and Nyan Cat.

All I'm saying is Obama's a politician at heart. He's really good at getting people to like him, like most politicians (some are horrible at it). But, just because he says he's going to do something, doesn't entitle him to do so. He's the president. He can do anything thing he wants. As Clinton essentially stated in a 20/20 interview, he did things because he could. Which I suppose includes lying under oath in federal court. But who am I to judge?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-14-2011, 01:27 AM
MoonKit's Avatar
MoonKit Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington.
Posts: 2,593
Send a message via MSN to MoonKit
Default Re: Opinions on the President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Your ignorance is appalling. I don't know how you can possibly conceive of yourself as someone capable of making an informed judgement call. Literally none of the so-called "facts" you have spouted are correct in the slightest. Afghanistan and Pakistan were in conflict before Obama ever got to the Presidency and America has withdrew from Iraq, bringing down the total number of conflicts the US is in. There have been a grand total of 0 tax increases that Obama has implemented. Please, if the only place where you get news from is hearsay from your little ring of friends, keep your opinion to yourself so you don't come off as so much of a fool.
Wanna say that to Fox and BBC, etc.? Honestly, I don't really care if those wars were already in effect. He didn't call a truce, which, in my eyes, he was trying to say when he made that big speech. He made at least two other wars, the ones that Red already stated.

The tobacco tax is making half of the people my parents know go broke. I swear to god, if this continues, we will be broke as well. Its not like I'm going to go up to my parents and slap a cigarette out of their hands and yell at them so we can make the amount of money we should be, which still isn't that what, 250,000 we need to make to not have as many taxes and the crap.

Heck, after he was elected, half of my classmates went to all-out rage mode except for those who voted for him uhhh...God I just forgot...-fool ness-

---
(To reply to the Nyan Cat thing)

And I gotta admit, I know at least fifty people who don't know what the ---- politics is because their so ubersessed with Nyan Cat. That tells you something; my friends/classmates/whatever you wanna call 'em are crazy.
__________________
I'm alive! -coughnotcough-
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-14-2011, 02:26 AM
Redlark's Avatar
Redlark Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: In a rice bowl, full of curry beef.
Posts: 357
Send a message via Yahoo to Redlark
Default Re: Opinions on the President?

Nyan Cat's the Devil...

Yeah--actually the tobacco tax, coming from a fellow smoker, doesn't get people to quit. It's better quitting options or services that really pay off. All the tax really does is force cheap *** smokers like myself to turn to harsher and cheaper forms of tobacco, aka. bulk and rollies. ie. no filters... which in turn rips apart the lungs.

Either way--I want to make it clear, I'm not arguing for or against our President, since he is saving the federal government $135 billion dollars to save the deficit over a period of 10 years. How? Cutting Medicare and Medicaid. I work in a long term healthcare facility and think this is AWESOME. That money to save your grandmamma from dying of stroke is better spent elsewhere. Since, looking at the federal government sites, black book and black budgets have gone up... wait what? Either way, screw the hospitals. Health is overrated.

I know the bulk of you don't care about Medicare now, but you'll regret it 50 years down the line. I promise. We all die at some point. I promise that too.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 AM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Opinions on the President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonKit View Post
Wanna say that to Fox and BBC, etc.? Honestly, I don't really care if those wars were already in effect. He didn't call a truce, which, in my eyes, he was trying to say when he made that big speech. He made at least two other wars, the ones that Red already stated.

The tobacco tax is making half of the people my parents know go broke. I swear to god, if this continues, we will be broke as well. Its not like I'm going to go up to my parents and slap a cigarette out of their hands and yell at them so we can make the amount of money we should be, which still isn't that what, 250,000 we need to make to not have as many taxes and the crap.

Heck, after he was elected, half of my classmates went to all-out rage mode except for those who voted for him uhhh...God I just forgot...-fool ness-
Fox is a hilarious joke of a news source, if impartiality were in your vocabulary you would know that.

Quick question: Did you actually listen to his speech, or are you just going off of what you've heard other people say he's said? I have my money on the latter, because otherwise "your eyes" are hilariously terrible.

I've got news for you: If you're at the income level where the tobacco tax is a large enough percentage of your income that it can make you go broke, then you are poor enough that you don't pay any income tax anyways, and in fact the government probably pays you more than you pay it. If paying 62 extra pennies per pack is enough to break your bank account you're at the income level where complaining about government taxation is the height of hypocrisy, as half of the government income is going towards giving what is basically free money to your income bracket.

Quote:
Yeah--actually the tobacco tax, coming from a fellow smoker, doesn't get people to quit. It's better quitting options or services that really pay off. All the tax really does is force cheap *** smokers like myself to turn to harsher and cheaper forms of tobacco, aka. bulk and rollies. ie. no filters... which in turn rips apart the lungs.
Oh, that must be why there are numerous studies showing that the cigarette tax decreases the smoking rate, right? I've got news for you: for every 10% increase in the cigarette tax the teenage smoking rate decreases by 7%, and a four percent reduction in smoking overall. And when Wisconsin raised its cigarette tax the number of people calling its government-funded quitting-smoking hotline increased 10-fold?
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 12-14-2011 at 03:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-14-2011, 04:22 AM
Redlark's Avatar
Redlark Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: In a rice bowl, full of curry beef.
Posts: 357
Send a message via Yahoo to Redlark
Default Re: Opinions on the President?

Lol, Well, I got news for you--because I know how to shop, tobacco only costs me less than $10 a month. Smoking is a choice, and I chose to smoke. Because I like the taste. It's relaxing and it's the best time to think and have 10 minutes to myself. It doesn't make me sit around and ponder my face like pot. Doesn't hurt my bills, intelligence, or liver like beer. So you know what--I hold my cig up high lol (I never in my life thought I'd post that here).

And in other news for you--because Medicare got cut, my company had to shut down two facilities in my region. Supposedly we weren't hit as bad as a couple other companies, but either way. That's facilities being lost, caused by people that rely on medicare leaving the facility because they can't afford the proper care they need. And budgets in healthcare providers being cut. Which comes back to facilities being shut down. Which leads to job loss, overcrowding in some facilities, and higher unemployment, which leads to lower incomes, which leads to lower budgets for healthcare on the patient end... I'm ranting... either way--that's a job loss of about 100-150 people in decent paying to good paying careers. And usually careers that offer benefits and what have you.These people are forced to lose their insurance and get jobs flippin' burgers at McDonalds. Luckily I pulled myself out of the fast food circuit and lucky enough to not be a part of the facilities that got shut down.

But who cares, right? The working population can suck an egg, right? It's only our HEALTHCARE system that we depend on if we get in a car crash or get cancer. We all plan to go to school and live forever. We're invincible--nyan.

So you know what--tell your mother you don't care about her medicare when she dies. There are bigger fish than taxes. There's civil liberties, healthcare, education, and international politics.

Eitherway... Obama's not the Messiah as some people have actually stated. I'll only vote for him if he's the best option on the ballot. In the meantime--who I vote for is dependent on who wins the primaries of both sides. This includes both Dem ans Pub, we'll see who the better of two evils are.

But what I'm trying to say is back to what I originally stated.

Does he deserve to win? Probably not.

Will he win? Most likely. Despite his track record, he's got a strong contigency of voters that'll back him.

But I got a personal question, why are you so trigger happy to bad mouth Moonkit?

Obama sucks, let's face it. I lost hope and I now have less change in my pocket. Bush was bad, but Obama's the same dance different song. Do I like Bush, no. Do I like Obama, yes. Does that make me a hypocrite? No. It's makes me open minded.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Opinions on the President?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonKit View Post
Wanna say that to Fox and BBC, etc.? Honestly, I don't really care if those wars were already in effect. He didn't call a truce, which, in my eyes, he was trying to say when he made that big speech. He made at least two other wars, the ones that Red already stated.

The tobacco tax is making half of the people my parents know go broke. I swear to god, if this continues, we will be broke as well. Its not like I'm going to go up to my parents and slap a cigarette out of their hands and yell at them so we can make the amount of money we should be, which still isn't that what, 250,000 we need to make to not have as many taxes and the crap.

Heck, after he was elected, half of my classmates went to all-out rage mode except for those who voted for him uhhh...God I just forgot...-fool ness-

---
(To reply to the Nyan Cat thing)

And I gotta admit, I know at least fifty people who don't know what the ---- politics is because their so ubersessed with Nyan Cat. That tells you something; my friends/classmates/whatever you wanna call 'em are crazy.
While I do think you are rather uneducated in this subject, I do understand you. Starting off young in a debate can do that to you. =) Just stick with it, listen to opinions (of both sides) and research facts, and you will become educated faster than you would ever believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlark View Post
Lol, Well, I got news for you--because I know how to shop, tobacco only costs me less than $10 a month. Smoking is a choice, and I chose to smoke. Because I like the taste. It's relaxing and it's the best time to think and have 10 minutes to myself. It doesn't make me sit around and ponder my face like pot. Doesn't hurt my bills, intelligence, or liver like beer. So you know what--I hold my cig up high lol (I never in my life thought I'd post that here).

And in other news for you--because Medicare got cut, my company had to shut down two facilities in my region. Supposedly we weren't hit as bad as a couple other companies, but either way. That's facilities being lost, caused by people that rely on medicare leaving the facility because they can't afford the proper care they need. And budgets in healthcare providers being cut. Which comes back to facilities being shut down. Which leads to job loss, overcrowding in some facilities, and higher unemployment, which leads to lower incomes, which leads to lower budgets for healthcare on the patient end... I'm ranting... either way--that's a job loss of about 100-150 people in decent paying to good paying careers. And usually careers that offer benefits and what have you.These people are forced to lose their insurance and get jobs flippin' burgers at McDonalds. Luckily I pulled myself out of the fast food circuit and lucky enough to not be a part of the facilities that got shut down.

But who cares, right? The working population can suck an egg, right? It's only our HEALTHCARE system that we depend on if we get in a car crash or get cancer. We all plan to go to school and live forever. We're invincible--nyan.

So you know what--tell your mother you don't care about her medicare when she dies. There are bigger fish than taxes. There's civil liberties, healthcare, education, and international politics.

Eitherway... Obama's not the Messiah as some people have actually stated. I'll only vote for him if he's the best option on the ballot. In the meantime--who I vote for is dependent on who wins the primaries of both sides. This includes both Dem ans Pub, we'll see who the better of two evils are.

But what I'm trying to say is back to what I originally stated.

Does he deserve to win? Probably not.

Will he win? Most likely. Despite his track record, he's got a strong contigency of voters that'll back him.

But I got a personal question, why are you so trigger happy to bad mouth Moonkit?

Obama sucks, let's face it. I lost hope and I now have less change in my pocket. Bush was bad, but Obama's the same dance different song. Do I like Bush, no. Do I like Obama, yes. Does that make me a hypocrite? No. It's makes me open minded.
Obama sucks? Is that because he is open to same-sex marriage? Hay now, let us keep this PG rated. ;)

But, I will face it, and deny it. Obama does not "suck." Obama, despite a lot of pressure, is doing relatively okay as president. He would make a better choice than someone like Sarah Palin or Rick Perry. *shivers*

Now that you don't have 60 cents, you won't be able to afford that 1 dollar taco at Taco Bell! OH NOEZ!!! Seriously though, you are complaining that the government is making you pay more to kill yourself.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com